Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Iron Lady - Tickets Please?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
GG
The 'The Iron Lady', the film of the life of Margaret Thatcher, is released nationwide early next year.

Do you think it will be well-received in Glasgow?

Will you be going to see it?

Teaser Trailer

Full Trailer

GG.
Isobel
Well Martin, I have not lived in Glasgow since 1973 but I will for sure look out for this movie.If for nothing else but to see what went on in the back ground when she was in power.Perhaps even find out why she treated Scotland as she did.
TeeHeeHee
Love her or loathe her, if the story stays true to the history of the woman then, with none other than Merryl Streep at the helm, it has to be worth the ticket price.
Can't wait for it to be dubbed in German and shown on TV here. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Elma
I will definitely want to see it. When she ousted the Labour Government we considered returning to the UK but decided we were too well settled in Canada by then.
proudmaryhiller
To answer your question Martin, no, no, would not waste the time or money, horrible woman and horrible party....give me Labour any day.
angel
Just like yourself Elma , I hope I do get the chance to see the Movie..
wellfield
Like her or dislike her...she took Britain out of the 'sweetie' shops into the 'shopping malls' when she wrung oot' her dish cloot'.
Scotsman
Yes wellfield and look where that is getting us now because we have been so busy all chasing the retail dream that we have let our industry go to pot and now we have nothing. People dont have any money to spend in shopping malls anymore so now it will be there turn to go downhill like manufacturing.... and then what have we got left??

I will not pay a penny to see it though. If it is on sale in the Barras then I will bag a copy and be happy that I am depriving them of income. Better close the windows when I am watching it though as my language might get a wee bit colourful!! smile.gif
benny
If Meryl Streep is really daein the accent herself, she's got it doon brilliantly. Although ah loathed Thatcher, it might be worth seein as entertainment, jist tae see how Hollywood actually portrays Thatcher and 70's Britain.
ashfield
I presume it's not getting released until the end of October next year.........along with all the other halloween horror films rolleyes.gif
tamhickey
Not having seen the film myself, I wasn't too sure about how Hollywood would play this until tonight's "This Week" - a political show which follows Question Time and arch - Thatcherite Michael Portillo gave his review saying that it made him feel very emotional and took him back to those days with almost a tear in his eye. That being the case, I think it would give me the dry boak! Sorry, but I'm not for turning!
Dave Grieve
I would like to go and see the film but knowing my wife she wont go.
However its interesting when you read comments about Maggie Thatcher wherever they are on the board, the majority of people living outside of Britain thought she was good for the country while almost overwhelmingly people who stayed in Scotland were against her.
Melody
No, no, no Martin, I saw enough of that witch to last me a lifetime. Mind ye we've got even worse than her if that's possible in power now. sad.gif Charles Dickens never told us it would happen again.)
Harvey
A 20th century Jezebel.
She deserves the same fate as the biblical Jezebel.
Tommy Kennedy
QUOTE (Harvey @ 25th Nov 2011, 01:30pm) *
A 20th century Jezebel.
She deserves the same fate as the biblical Jezebel.

OH, she got her 'desrving' fate, Harvey/Melody: A lonley old woman who made her criminal son a multi millioniare arms dealer that got booted out of the country she adored -the U.S.- for criminal activities, then South Africa. Now lives in Switzland or is it France. He, nor her never sees his children - she went back to U.S. with them.

If you go back in History: Tory leaders, from Churchill thru to her had very dysfuntional families, children with major social problems - aye 'Family values' and all that!
Heather
I won't be buying tickets to see it, but if it comes on the TV I will watch it, provided my husband does not throw something at her smashing the TV. ohmy.gif
agnesb
She is a despicable evil woman, an offensive unpleasant smell.

Elma
Some comments on here could be a cause for bringing a libel suit.
martini
No matter how many try to put her down she will go down in history the same as QE1.
Sad auld men that try tae belittle her with the indiscretions of her family should think of the auld saying "glass houses"
Will always think of Maggie as the Iron Lady. Jist wish there wis a politician, male or female like her the day, and I do not mean just the UK.
beth
Regardless of our political beliefs, I think it will be a good movie. Will be interesting to see Meryl Streep playing the part. She is a brilliant actress. The labour party was in power when we left Scotland and the day we flew out there was no bread, beer and buses not to mention the miners strikes
TeeHeeHee
How many European politicians trembled in their boots when any one of her sucessors stepped onto the podium?
beth
easy one that. NONE
norrie123
I will go and see the film
Like her or loathe her, she was the only PM with balls, none in power now or since will be remembered I years to come, certainly none in the Tory party have her presence

Bye for now, norrie
benny
QUOTE (martini @ 27th Nov 2011, 06:18am) *
No matter how many try to put her down she will go down in history the same as QE1. . . . .

Naw, she'll go doon in history the same as the Titanic/ biggrin.gif
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 28th Nov 2011, 12:39am) *
Like her or loathe her, she was the only PM with balls

Thatcher was a political thug, who drew the approbation of some in a manner reminiscent of those who praise the school bully for as long as his attentions are directed on someone else.

Some people admire bullies; I'm not one of them.
Dylan
She was indeed a Bully who was admired by wannabe Bullies.
GG
Apparently Norman Tebbit and Michael Portillo are a wee bit upset by the film because it is told in a series of flashbacks where the elderly Thatcher is struggling with advanced dementia and in regular conversation with her late husband Denis Thatcher.

Tebbit:
"She could be hard - perhaps at times unfairly so - on colleagues who failed her standards. She was never, in my experience, the half-hysterical, overemotional, overacting woman portrayed by Meryl Streep."

Portillo:
"I wouldn't want to see my own mother portrayed in that way. I recognise it is a tremendous piece of art, but that will be a controversial feature of the film."

GG.
Alex MacPhee
I'm sorry to learn she has dementia. For all I loathed her politics, I wouldn't wish that on her. It recalls the late Harold Wilson, who had a similar or related condition, an added irony as he was known for his prodigious memory.

Meryl Streep wouldn't have been the first name to come to my mind to play Mrs Thatcher. I'd have thought of someone like Angela Thorne. I guess she doesn't have the name pull to the public of someone like Streep.

I've never thought highly of Norman Tebbitt, a man I regard as a political thug from the same mold as Mrs Thatcher, but Michael Portillo has grown on me -- as a character, that is, rather than a politician. He was very engaging in that Great Railway Journeys thing he did last year on television.

martini
QUOTE (Dylan @ 30th Nov 2011, 04:34am) *
She was indeed a Bully who was admired by wannabe Bullies.

Strange why yee whid say that, I admire her but I would not put myself in the wannabe bully bracket.

Being one of the many that was bullied I find yer comment flippant dry.gif
GG
Anyone seen 'Iron Lady' yet?

GG.
GG
Anyone seen 'Iron Lady' yet? It was released nationwide last week.

GG.
irrie
Sorry GG cant even bring myself to watch the trailer. Cheers
GG
I went to see the 'Iron Lady' the other night and – Meryl Streep's acting performance aside – was largely disappointed. The film lacks any kind of depth, instead muddling through the issues of the Thatcher era in an un-focused montage based mostly on Thatcher's own recollections and interpretations.

There is no analysis of the events which unfold through the series of flash-backs; with hugely important issues such as the miners strike, the Falklands war, Northern Ireland, privatisation, unemployment, the poll tax demonstrations being used only as a backdrop to scratch at the surface of Thatcher's elaborate personality and complex psyche. And what a personality: apparently, she was/is a bully, loner, patriot, social reformer, flawed visionary, misinterpreted feminist, and a deluded individualist.

In the end, I think one of the main problems with Thatcher is that she lacked any kind of depth in important areas of her personality, especially in her flawed understanding of society, social structure and human nature. Either that, or she knew and just didn't care.

GG.
pumps100
Shame on you!

I see from map of box office takings there is still a lot of loathing for her in the country. The map had blue in London and the south east and little takings in Yorkshire and the North East (former mining areas).

Bizarrely, Glasgow had the highest box office takings outside of London. and i thought there were more giant panda's than Tory's in Scotland (this joke courtesy of A Salmond).

Regards

Ian
Rab-oldname
I hear it has been given a 'PG' rating as it is considered unsuitable for miners. wink.gif
pumps100
QUOTE (Rab @ 16th Jan 2012, 09:49pm) *
I hear it has been given a 'PG' rating as it is considered unsuitable for miners. wink.gif

Very funny indeed! Cannot think of anything as funny.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 13th Jan 2012, 08:36am) *
... And what a personality: apparently, she was/is a bully, loner, patriot, social reformer, flawed visionary, misinterpreted feminist, and a deluded individualist ...

Apart from the "misinterpreted feminist" that description seems to fit a wee personality who made his name over here a few years before Maggie. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 16th Jan 2012, 09:40pm) *
Very funny indeed! Cannot think of anything as funny.

Rab certainly comes up wi' some good ones. laugh.gif
andypisces
I love Meryl Streep but this is one of hers i will miss.
pumps100
There was a good article in the Independent by David Owen. In it he argues that Thatcher's lack of openness about her dementia and the cover-up by her helpers and political minions did her no favours. Whereas Reagan was more upfront about it:-

In November 1994, with grace and dignity in retirement, Reagan wrote a moving letter to "my fellow Americans". He told them he was one of a million Americans afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and went on: "In the past, Nancy suffered from breast cancer and I had my cancer surgeries. We found through our open disclosures we were able to raise public awareness." He ended: "I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life". Reagan died on 5 June 2004, a much respected former President. His wife said he had not opened his eyes for four years.

You can read the full thing here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/comme...ss-6286244.html

Regards

Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.