Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rugby
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
odeonclubboy
i left glasgow at he age of 11 in 1959 and went to a rather posh grammar school in cheshire where they played....wait for it RUGBY!!! now this was great for a boy straight out of glasgows east end...legalised thuggery! the uaual reason given in england for the game not being played by kids from the big cities is lack of playing fields but my reccollection of most glasgow secondary schools is that the had playing fields eton would have been proud of...so why is it a gentlemans game in scotland? i went to uni in wales and that was another matter...coal miners dockers...farmers the size of battleships...now that was a hard game!
Jupiter
Rugby~+~Glasgow~=~it just doesnt mix does it?
odeonclubboy
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Nov 2011, 05:24pm) *

no it doesnt...i dont even think i had heard of the game untill i moved to england and being at a rather genlemany grammer school i assumed thats what is was...a gentlemans game and then i went to uni in wales......and my god it was a working mans game and played hard!
Elma
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Nov 2011, 05:24pm) *

I went to one of the schools in Glasgow, Hillhead High, where the boys only played rugby, football was not an option. I have been a rugby fan since then, going to all the international matches as well as local games before coming to Canada and followed the World Cup from New Zealand recently.
zascot
Rugby is the national sport here. 16 year olds built like brick sh** houses.
Dave Grieve
My youngest grandson is a natural sportsman he plays football for a club on saturdays during the season, he also plays for the school football team, is a member of the schools swimming team is getting coached at golf and tennis at school and now the school is starting to put pressure on him to play rugby.
His mother and father are doing all they can to stop this simply because it is too physically demanding and there are stories every year of schoolkids being left paralysed by bad tackles or getting caught underneath rucks and mauls.
There are also stories of school coaches giving the young players performance enhansing drugs because the pressure on the coaches and schools to suceed in SA at rugby is huge.
I for one hope he never plays this so called sport.
bilbo.s
I went to High School of Glasgow, where rugby was compulsory up to the 3rd year. Not being of a sporting disposition, I did not carry on once it became optional.
zascot
Could`nt agree with you more Dave. The size of some of the rugby kids makes you wonder what they are taking. fortunately my sons school had a choice rugby or football and he chose the latter.
At my high school in Glasgow we played rugby with a twist ie no ref, no pitch, no ball. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (zascot @ 10th Nov 2011, 10:41am) *
Could`nt agree with you more Dave. The size of some of the rugby kids makes you wonder what they are taking. fortunately my sons school had a choice rugby or football and he chose the latter.
At my high school in Glasgow we played rugby with a twist ie no ref, no pitch, no ball. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

At St Mungoes that was called TIG, when we went to St Rochs we were to sopisticated to play Tig, it was called awrite you an me efter school. laugh.gif
odeonclubboy
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Nov 2011, 07:35am) *
I went to High School of Glasgow, where rugby was compulsory up to the 3rd year. Not being of a sporting disposition, I did not carry on once it became optional.

really bilbo!!!! i took the entrance exam for glasgow high but because we moved to england i never went...i bet you got teased in shettleston going there!
bilbo.s
Teased? I was lucky not to get beaten up ! I moved to Mount Vernon around 1954 to be among the other toffs ! rolleyes.gif
Backcauseway
Hi Bilbo were you one of the ruffians in the No11 bus from Bath Street out to Auld Anniesland?
Do you rember the communal big steam bath everyone had to go into starkers after freezing to death outside? Plus that big bar of red carbolic soap - I can almost smell the stuff to this day!
It toughens you up I seem to recall a certain games master of those times telling us on a freezing cold dark November. If you were first out to Old Anniesland you got to grab and kick a rugby ball!!!
Some of the slackards got a tram!
Scots Kiwi Lass
Rugby in New Zealand is more than just the national sport - it is almost a religion!

When I arrived here in 1963 as a new immigrant, I had no interest in rugby, having been a big football fan in Glasgow. I married a rugby player and when our son was 6, we enrolled him with a soccer (football) club - in those days boys could only play rugby from the age of 8. Dean played soccer for a year in NZ, two years in Sydney, then back for another year in NZ, on the outskirts of Christchurch. Being a country school, the main sport was of course rugby and my son got tormented and called a sissy because he played soccer,. Eventually he gave it up and went to rugby. He could run fast and played several representative games before giving rugby up to devote his time to learning speedway bike racing (at the age of 12).

From around 1979, I became a devoted rugby fan myself, as did all my family. Our local rugby club is Canterbury, and the Crusaders in the Super Competition. My sister and I had bought tickets to the Scotland vs Argentina World cup game, due to be held in Christchurch in September. Our stadium, however, was wrecked in the February earthquake and when it was announced the stadium could not be repaired in time for the World Cup, we lost all the five pool games and two quarter-finals - a big disappointment for a rugby-mad city. Undaunted, we bought tickets to see the Scotland game in Wellington. We thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the final result of course! Great to see all the kilted Scots and we chatted to many of them.

It was good to have the World Cup in New Zealand - it will probably never happen again as we cannot generate enough income for the IRB! The icing on the cake of course was the All Blacks winning the final.

Can't wait for the 2012 Super 15 to start in February. The Crusaders made it all the way to the final last year, despite playing no games at their home stadium. The fact that they lost in the final didn't matter. They showed true professionalism and strength of character and we were proud of them.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 10th Nov 2011, 06:59am) *
My youngest grandson is a natural sportsman he plays football for a club on saturdays during the season, he also plays for the school football team, is a member of the schools swimming team is getting coached at golf and tennis at school and now the school is starting to put pressure on him to play rugby.
His mother and father are doing all they can to stop this simply because it is too physically demanding and there are stories every year of schoolkids being left paralysed by bad tackles or getting caught underneath rucks and mauls.
There are also stories of school coaches giving the young players performance enhansing drugs because the pressure on the coaches and schools to suceed in SA at rugby is huge.
I for one hope he never plays this so called sport.

Just an add on to this story about my grandson despite being the school football team captain for his age and against the wishes of his family it looks as if he is going to be forced to play for the shool rugby team next year.
tombro
Scots Kiwi Lass,

Great to see you back and posting. Just hope the latest wee problems in Christchurch are soon over.

When I first came to Australia in 1961, I was considered a sissy at my school because I played football (soccer) as my school was a totally Rugby League School. But, my friends and I stood firm and, within four years, we had our own soccer team (not a very good one) so now I started to play Rugby League because I now had a choice ! It was Rugby League at school during the week and football on the weekends.

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
Hi Tombro

Pleased to hear you stood firm about playing football at school. It seems to be very popular in NZ up to a certain stage, when most young guys give it up. Maybe there is not enough incentive to carry on. I must admit I can't be bothered watching football on TV now. I have Sky TV and they show a lot of English league matches but no Scottish ones, not even the Cup Final.

Our nerves are all a bit shattered after last Fridays big quakes but what can you do but carry on with life? My heart goes out to the people in the beach suburbs who have been inundated with liquefaction again, some for the 3rd or 4th time. I think there will be a few thousand more leaving for Australia after this lot. We are still having shakes, the last one at 10.50 pm tonight (4.3). We had all been quietly confident for the last 5 months that we were getting through it but this has set us back again. Sleep doesn't come easy, except at around 8.00 am when it is time to get up!

Thanks for your message.
mitchell
Well done Glasgow Warriors.
They beat Edinburgh 18-12 to win the pro 1872 cup on aggregate.
The first game on Boxing day ended in a thriller at 23-23 all.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Good news about the Warriors winning the pro Cup on aggregate. We don't get much information here about Scottish rugby. Where was the game played? Is there much support in Glasgow for rugby?

When I was in Glasgow in July 2010, I had a walk around Maryhill, where I grew up. After looking around all the familiar streets, I stopped at Firhill to ask if there was anyone to talk to about the Glasgow Warriors, being interested in anything to do with rugby. Unfortunately, there was nobody available, it being the off-season of course. I will have to do a bit of research on the Internet!

Cheers,
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 2nd Jan 2012, 10:38am) *
Good news about the Warriors winning the pro Cup on aggregate. We don't get much information here about Scottish rugby. Where was the game played? Is there much support in Glasgow for rugby?

When I was in Glasgow in July 2010, I had a walk around Maryhill, where I grew up. After looking around all the familiar streets, I stopped at Firhill to ask if there was anyone to talk to about the Glasgow Warriors, being interested in anything to do with rugby. Unfortunately, there was nobody available, it being the off-season of course. I will have to do a bit of research on the Internet!

Cheers,

They are now based at Scotstoun Show ground where they will play their home matches next season.
They will certainly miss the atmosphere of Firhill where they got just under 9,000 for last nights game against Edinburgh, Scotstoun being suitable for athletics, but for football or rugby, like Meadowbank before totally lacking in atmosphere.
Scots Kiwi Lass
What on earth happened to the Scottish tem in the Six Nations this year? I saw them playing Argentina in Wellington last September and thought they were looking good, despite going down in that particular game.

On another tack, Christchurch has just had its new rugby stadium completed and the first game (Super 15) played there last Saturday. It is a much smaller stadium than our usual one, which was made virtually unrepairable in last year's earthquake. I wasn't at the opening game but from all accounts it is a tremendous venue, one to be proud of. A lot of money was involved in ugrading the stadium, which was already in use for rugby league, but it has been a heartwarming move for the people of Christchurch, who are watching the city buildings being levelled day by day. This new stadium is a ten-minute walk from where I live and I am looking forward to seeing it soon.
beth
Scots Kiwi Lass, good news about your stadium, Christchurch has been missed in the game. South Africa is also a great rugby nation although the team has not been great of late. Our local team, The Sharks is also having a shocker of a season. We used to go to all the home games as it was always party time after the games. Too old now and as we both enjoy a toot watching the rugby, safer to stay home and watch it on TV. One of the highlights for me was sitting there watching Scotland play South Africal. I was waving both flags, wearing an SA shirt and a tartan scarf and cap. It was brilliant, unfortunately Scotland lost!
As for Scotland, I don't understand either the Footbal Team or Rugby Team and their lack of progress. I am fed up with them being described as "the wee Terriers" wee terriers bring home the bones! Our son played bothe football and rugby, but football is his first love. Up until this year he has been training the youngsters
Scots Kiwi Lass
Hi Beth,

I too watch most rugby matches in the comfort of home. Christchurch winters are very hard and I am more than a bit soft now. Used to follow Glasgow Rangers from the age of 14 up to 21 when I left Glasgow to emigrate to NZ. In those days, we missed very few games, only the ones in Aberdeen which was a bit far to travel!

The Crusaders left their run too late at the weekend against the Bulls but came close to pulling it off. Sorry the Sharks lost again but there is still plenty of time left in the season.

Your comment about wearing a SA shirt and a tartan scarf and cap made me smile. When my sister and I went to the Wellington World Cup to support Scotland against Argentina, I was wearing a Scottish shirt but a scarf that had Scotland on one side and New Zealand on the other! I just love it. I bought it at Murrayfield in 2007 when I saw the All Blacks/Scotland game. If I can work out how to download my photos I will post some on GG.

My son played football from age 6 to 10 but gave in to peer pressure and took up rugby for a while. That also had to go when he got a speedway bike at 12 years old and took up racing. He retired from that at 22. Wise move!

Cheers,
Betty
tombro
SKLass,

Proud that you've come out as a Rangers fan, given their present predicament.

I'm actually a Celtic fan, though thoroughly disappointed with their present gloating over Rangers' predicament and the fact that they are so keen to claim a title despite Rangers' misfortunes.

Great to see that you're back in Christchurch and that Christchurch is getting back on track, too !

Fond thoughts,

Scots Kiwi Lass
Hi Tombro

Me - still a Rangers fan? No, all that ended aout 40 years ago. In the 60's there was a group of Expats in ChCh, mostly English but some Scots. They got together regularly, hired a hall and showed films of recent games from the English and Scottish Leagues. So, I kept up the interest for a while but it didn't last more than 5 or 6 years. There was no football on TV here then either, except the Cup final from England and sometimes Scotland. Now we get nothing of Scottish football, ecept maybe when there is any trouble on or off the field in Glasgow!

Once I got interested in rugby, sorry to say football took a back seat. To me, its not the same game as I used to love way back in the 60s and I really find it a bit boring! I follow the progress of the NZ All Whites of course, also the Wellington Phoenix, but that's about it really.

It was a shock to hear about the present situation at Ibrox - Celtic and Rangers were the big players in my time and it's hard to imagine either of them getting into such a mess.

Rugby is my life now and I love it. The old rugby league stadium in Addington has turned out great, after all the money spent to upgrade it for Canterbury rugby games. Can't for the life of me see why we have to rebuild or repair the big stadium wasted in the earthquake. It's sad to see it like it is but to me it's just plain crazy to spend mega millions when the one in Addington is adequate.

We are all trying to get back to some normality in ChCh and if you don't get too close to town or the eastern suburbs you can forget for a while about the vast damage done in the earthquakes. We still get around 5 or 6 shakes a day, some up to 4.5, but can live with that meantime.

Cheers,

beth

Hiya this is not the fotie I was looking for, but it was after the greatest game I have watched in Durban
tombro
Just watched the Rugby match between Scotland and Australia.

In conditions more suited to Scotland in my home town of Newcastle (NSW, Oz) the valiant Scots repelled the sub-standard team that the Aussies put out in opposition. Of course the Aussies will forever use that as an excuse for defeat, but you can only play against the team that the opposition puts out against you.

Sadly the arrogant Aussies thought the Scots would be a soft touch but they were proved wrong !

The Flower Of Scotland has been proudly played by Tombro tonight !

Tombro biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
I saw the beginning and end of the game, Tombro and particularly enjoyed the penalty kick that won the game.

The conditions were pretty rough - I suppose the Aussies will say that favoured the Scots, of course. What happened to the Kiwis favourite player, Quade Cooper - was he injured or being rested?

I hope the weather in Newcastle has not got any worse. It has been snowing heavily here since 7.00 and the place has come to a standstill. No schools, buses, etc. but the worst is I have to get rugged up to go outside and clear the snow from my satellite dish so I can get reception!!
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 10th Apr 2012, 11:02pm) *
Hi Tombro

We are all trying to get back to some normality in ChCh and if you don't get too close to town or the eastern suburbs you can forget for a while about the vast damage done in the earthquakes. We still get around 5 or 6 shakes a day, some up to 4.5, but can live with that meantime.

Cheers,

Nothing to do with Rugby but your mention of aftershocks reminded me of when the Gold mines where still being worked underneath Joburg, every day we would get severe underground rockfalls caused by the mining that would set the buildings above ground shaking.
My brother had just arrived for a holiday and went to the toilet when a severe rockfall tremor set the house shaking, next thing we new the bathroom door flew open and he came running out with his trousers at his ankles demanding to know what the f###n hell is goin on. laugh.gif
tombro
SK Lass,

The weather was a wee bit kinder today, we actually saw the sun for a few minutes. However, as it was the day the planet Venus traversed across the sun; that was one of the reasons our common explorer came to the Southern Hemisphere in the first place: it was a disappointment that we didn't see much of that particularly historic event. I believe it only happens every 105 years !

As I said in my original post though, the Aussies thought they could beat the Scots with their second XV but that didn't happen. Once again, the Aussie assumption of superiority over the rest of the world has let them down !

For the second time in two games, the underdog has proved superior and it was Scotland's first win in Australia since 1982 !

Scots Kiwi Lass
Hi Tombro,

I can't imagine why Robbie Deans picked a second-string team - he is a very astute coach and most of my fellow Cantabrians were hoping, like me, that Robbie would be appointed All Blacks coach following the 2007 World Cup. To say we were disappointed that Graham Henry got the job was an understatement. Still, Henry did have a very successful 4-year campaign, culminating in the World Cup win.

The All Blacks are playing Ireland this coming weekend at Auckland. There have been some controversial selections but it is a strong looking team, combining experienced players and some talented youngsters. It should be a good game but the weather forecast is not the best. It would have been good if the Scottish team was playing the ABs for one game at least but we will enjoy playing the Irish.

Cheers,
GG
QUOTE (tombro @ 5th Jun 2012, 12:48pm) *
Just watched the Rugby match between Scotland and Australia. ...

As reported in the Times:
Australia 6 Scotland 9

For sheer bloody-minded, backs-tothe-wall determination with the odds stacked against you, this display by Scotland would be hard to beat.

Counted out after their worst World Cup and a whitewash in the RBS Six Nations Championship, they travelled to Australia and produced one of those defensive efforts that will go down in history, winning with a penalty goal that was awarded and kicked after the 80 minutes had elapsed yesterday.

True, they were helped by the storm that rolled into town a couple of hours before the game and hit full intensity during the match, with the wind gusting up to 80mph as the rain lashed down, but as Ross Ford, the captain, said later, conditions were the same for both sides.

Hero of the hour was Greig Laidlaw, the fly half, who, with the clock already well past the 80-minute mark, stepped up to take the penalty that he knew would make the difference between a battling draw and a famous win.

Well done the Scottish rugby team!

GG.
beth
ah ah missed it! mad.gif
tombro
That bloody storm had been around for two days before, Martin !

However, the Aussies now play the Welsh in three tests, the first one this weekend and, believe it or not, the Aussie Supporters are not looking forward to being beaten four times in a row !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
beth
Waiting patiently for our game. EnglandvSA getting ready to light the fire for the braai, a couple of bottles of nice SA Reds. Bit chills here but being Durban still good enough to sit outside. Go the Bokke
Scots Kiwi Lass
I envy you being able to sit outside, Beth. We can't always manage that, even in summer! We had heavy snow here on Wednesday, making me house-bound till Friday night. I hate snow with a vengeance and it is still lying in patches in my garden.

I didn't see your game but heard the result. Hope it was a good game. The All Blacks beat Ireland by a 'country mile' and have discovered some classy new players. I saw some of the Australia/Wales game, won by Australia, but it looked like Wales tried hard.

Not a good weekend for the Northern Hemisphere!
beth
The result was great but not a wonderful game by either team. I am not an expert but Allan reckoned New Zealand and Australia would have creamed both of them.
Our weather is brilliant a bit chills this morning but still a magnificent walk on the beach. People getting excited now looking for the Sardines
zascot
Scot Kiwi Lass, you must remember Beth lives in Durban where anything under 20 deg C is winter. biggrin.gif . Dave Grieve and I live in Johannesburg where yesterday it was -1 at 06:00, I know I was out in it taking photographs, by lunchtime its ok. In July we go to Durban and wear short sleeves, the locals wear jackets. yes.gif Come up here Beth and freeze with us. thumbup.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
Zascot - I didn't know it got so cool anywhere in South Africa! Our expected maximum temp for tomorrow (Tuesday) is 7 deg, with sleety rain. Yuk. Still, a big improvement on last week when it was the coldest day on record, around -2 daytime maximum.

I've been shaken awake at 2.30 am this morning (it's now 3.20) with yet another aftershock. This one was 4.2 and about 8 km from where I live and around 8 km deep, I think. I decided to get up and am just having a cup of tea, hoping to get back to sleep for a bit.

Cheers,
Dave Grieve
Hi Kiwi Lass just a follow up to Zascots post the reason Joburg gets so cold in winter is because it sits at 5700 feet, the summit of Ben Nevis is only 4400 feet.
the consolation is we dont get rain from May until September or October with blue skys almost everyday and daytime temperatures ranging from 10c to 20c at its coldest.
We think its cold wub.gif
zascot
It`s down to 25 deg C in Durban today Dave looks like Beth will be getting the winter clothes out. biggrin.gif Lucky for some. Beth are you hibernating for winter tongue.gif thumbup.gif
beth
Polar bears couldn't live here this last couple of days. getting the port out and even wearing a jersey. Looking forward to the next test. getting tired of Allan and his Europe fitba. Should we start another thread on how the Bafana bafana coach gets paid as much as a member of parliament ????? and they NEVER win!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif wink.gif
beth
Nothing to do with rugby, but I still am wearing the jacket I bought about 14 years ago. It still looks good. Really cold here today, I even wore shoes as opposed to sandals!! think it went down to about 17c
beth
zascot, mibbe, if you feel like it, we could get together for a coffee, or glass of wine or something when you are down next month. Allan and I love the George in Umhlanga at lunchtime. Just a thought for a wee GG (and other places) get together or even down our way. Just to keep on theread, we could watch rugby on TV somewhere!
zascot
There you go Kiwilass 17 deg c and Beth thinks it`s winter. Beth that`s a good idea, I might be down before that as I`m often at Huletts in PMB and stay in Durban when I`m there. I`ll remember to bring my Parka amd snowshoes in case it drops to 17 again. laugh.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
Maybe you guys in S.A. should watch this Saturday's rugby match in Christchurch (between the All Blacks and Wales).

Apart from some classy rugby, you will possibly get an insight into just how cold, "cold" really is. Saturday's forecast is minimum -2 deg, maximum 6 deg, with rain clearing. Hopefully it will be that warm!! It will be very pleasant watching it in the comfort of home (about 1 km from the stadium).

Cheers,
SKL

Scots Kiwi Lass
Oops - for Wales, read Ireland. The cold weather is getting to me!!
zascot
Luckily we get most games live so we will watch it. Watched your game last week.
beth
Just home after a great Father's Day braai with the oldies at work, now settling down to watch the Springboks beat the English (Positive thinking thumbup.gif )
26c here today, mid winter.
beth
Half time WOOHOO go the Boks, (please just keep it up)
beth
Well done England and South Africa great game, but WE WON yahoo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.