Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings Cards
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
ashfield
In the news today, there is a proposal to allow the Post Office to determine the cost of all postage except second class stamps. First class stamps, currently 46p, will rise by at least 25%.

Now my question is, does anybody still send greetings cards to anyone other than very close family or those overseas ?(anyone using the "C" word prior to the middle of December may find their windaes getting panned in laugh.gif ). Or put another way, can anybody afford to send them?

Story here
Ouch
Scotsman
I have to admit that I have stopped sending greeting cards at all and now use the online type of ones that you get on the sites. I know it is sad but it is just so easy and I never seem to have a stamp when I need one and you always need to buy 10 even though you just want 1!!

I do like to get them though!! smile.gif
Melody
Yes Scotsman that's why ye have to send them to get them back. laugh.gif Och jist send them it's not the 'C' word without them. smile.gif
Heather
Ouch right enough, as I still send Christmas cards.

I send seven abroad to family in America and Australia. Then there are plenty of family and friends at home, but I will send them earlier this year using 2nd class mail for overseas. smile.gif

Hmm, now that I remember, I don't think you can send cards overseas with 2nd class mail. wub.gif
glasgow lass
I no longer send christmas cards, haven't done so in a few years. As of about right now am usually getting ready to go away for vacation and stay away till after the hols,,, but thats not to say that a dont remember all of my friends as they all will receive an email from me wishing them and theres aw the very best of the festive season. smile.gif
wee davy
I've been using 2nd class postage stamps for 'c' cards . Currently, they are 3.60 for 10, and usually have to post about 30. To be honest with you I don't think 36p per head, per year, is much to spend on a member of the family, a /friend/other.

I'm pretty sure MOST people can afford to save 3p a day, for a year!
ashfield
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 21st Oct 2011, 05:14pm) *
I no longer send christmas cards, haven't done so in a few years. As of about right now am usually getting ready to go away for vacation and stay away till after the hols,,, but thats not to say that a dont remember all of my friends as they all will receive an email from me wishing them and theres aw the very best of the festive season. smile.gif

Don't say yi' wernae warned, yir windaes are gettin' done for that laugh.gif
glasgow lass
O thanks so much ash'yir a man of yir wurd,,,,em dae a need appointment for that biggrin.gif or will it be a fly- over kind of thingy .Or on second thought'y might jist gee them a nice clean while am out laugh.gif ,,, o'and em dont forget Heathers windaes, shes furst. biggrin.gif
Isobel
I still send cards. Many are overseas and so it has become very expensive. However Its not an easy thing to stop, these are my friends and I think its worth it. It can be very upsetting if they don't arrive on time, and this seems to be quite the norm these past few years.
tamhickey
Slightly off topic, today I received an email from a New York film festival producer who wants to show a film I co-produced and he waived the fee for entry to the festival as he wants it to be screened. Great stuff, eh? I then posted it and it was only a wee DVD weighing next to nothing but it cost over two and a half quid! How come it's so expensive when all that happens is that it goes to Glasgow airport and a postie delivers it at the other end? Imagine if I had had to pay the $20 entry fee on top of this and multiply it for all other festivals. It would cost me a bomb.
TeeHeeHee
I send, and receive, only one "C" card each year by post.
It's to, and from, my sister in Glasgow.
Each year Mary and I look forward to receiving a card with a Robin Redbreast somewhere on it from my sister Valerie,
Each year she looks forward to receiving a card (in German, which she can't understand) from us but ... with a "C" motive hand painted on the envelope either in oil or acrylic from her wee big brother. biggrin.gif
Isobel
Slightly off topic, today I received an email from a New York film festival producer who wants to show a film I co-produced and he waived the fee for entry to the festival as he wants it to be screened. Great stuff, eh?

Congratulations.Tamhickey
Dave Grieve
My wife especially looks forward to her families christmas cards arriving every year before the 24th as she likes to cover one wall with them.
If they dont arrive in time she will use the cards (that never get thrown away) from previous years.
But it does not matter what we say to her she still only sends her own cards the week before christmas which means they only arrive at the end of January.

Incidentally one year I had to move the TV for some reason and found a birthday card for me underneath, turned out it was the same card she had been giving me for the past few years before that, all she did was put it back in the envelope and slide it under the TV until it was needed again. rolleyes.gif
Alex MacPhee
I send Christmas cards every year, to family and friends. Every one is handwritten, sometimes with an extra note. The cost of the stamps is about a round of beers or so, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a Bah Humbug for the sake of a few pints of London Pride (OK, I live in England, I can't help that). I can't abide those lazy skinflint sods who send e-mail 'Christmas cards' ; it's like shouting out in big letters that you're not worth a proper card! It would be like sending great auntie Madge a text message for a Christmas card. Handwriting has the character of the sender all over it, especially when it is found and opened many years later, perhaps when the sender is no longer with us.

In 1971 a litre of petrol was about 7p. Today, it is twenty times that.

In 1971 a first class stamp was 3p. Today, it is fifteen times that.

I may be going against the flow, to suggest that a postage stamp is still good value!

Scotsman
Okay!! Decided.... I'm going to go back to the old fashioned paper ones this year as you are quite right its not the same as not having them hanging on a bit of string on the wall.... will send them early so that I get some in return for all the extra effort!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.