Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Unrest
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Melody
It's started without us:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/20...411&index=0
GG
And to think that tens of thousands of pensioners will die in their freezing homes this winter because energy companies in the UK have increased their profits per customer rise by 733% in just one year.

Another legacy of the Thatcher years!

GG.
Jupiter
GG are you talking about UK pensioners? Tens of thousands?Who forecast these figures?
I dont know what the aversion is to profit making.Is an investor not entitled to create wealth?.Did Thatcher not take loss making nationalised industries out of public ownership thus relieving the taxpayer of that burden?
GG
Hi Jupiter, unfortunately they're not forecast figures, but are actual figure from the winter of 2009-10, a winter which was nowhere near as severe as last winter. From the Daily Mail, whose proprietors are hardly against honest profit-making:

Nine elderly people died every hour from cold-related illnesses last winter against a background of soaring energy bills.

Official figures show the number of deaths linked to cold over the four-month period reached 25,400 in England and Wales, plus 2,760 in Scotland.

Charities and energy company critics claim the UK has the highest winter death rate in northern Europe, even worse than much colder countries such as Finland and Sweden.

There are fears the toll could rise this year following a recent barrage of price rises that may frighten elderly people into not turning on their heating.

While the UK death rate is high, the total was down by around 30 per cent compared with 2008/9 because there were fewer flu outbreaks, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Dot Gibson, of the National Pensioners Convention, said: ‘Since 1997 we have lost more than 300,000 pensioners during the winter months because of cold-related illnesses, yet the Government seems incapable of acting. No other section of our society is so vulnerable and treated so badly.

‘Pensioners see rising fuel bills and are constantly worried about whether or not they can afford to put their heating on.’

She added: ‘Around 3.5million pensioner households are spending more than 10 per cent of their income on fuel bills and are living in fuel poverty.’

Full story here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...rices-soar.html

And here was the coalition government's repsonse in March 2011:
Older people will receive up to 100 less from the government in payments to help with their winter energy bills – a cut George Osborne failed to mention in his budget speech, or include in the budget document. ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/2...r-fuel-payments

GG.
Jupiter
GG,Thanks for that.Astonishing figures.
GG
Thanks Jupiter, to be fair to Maggie, who believes in the unfettered expansion of a (truly) free market, she probably did not envisage the energy companies' manipulation of pricing strategies:

What is the problem [with energy tariffs]?

The problem is that although most people buy their gas and electricity from just six big suppliers, if they try to shop around they will stumble upon a jungle of more than 400 different tariffs, from the big six and the many minnows in the business.

The structure of the charges, and the eventual price you will pay, can vary depending on how you pay (by direct debit, pre-payment meter, or credit transfer such as cheque).

The charges will also vary depending on whether or not you are on an internet-only tariff, which part of the country you live in, if you have a two-tier tariff or one with a standing charge, if the deal involves a fixed price, when the deal was launched, how long it lasts, and so on.

Not surprisingly, this makes it very hard for anyone to make a choice about the thing that concerns them most - cost.

Who invented all this?

Critics accuse the energy firms of employing a deliberate tactic known as confusion marketing.

If everyone could tell instantly which was the cheapest supplier then many more people would switch and suppliers would be under intense pressure to cut their prices.

So to avoid too much competition, it is argued that the firms claim to be cheaper than each other while offering deals that make it very hard to decide if the claim is true or not.

The effect is that many people do not bother even trying to switch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15304765

GG.
GG
Hi Melody, sorry to take this off-topic a bit, but the point I was getting at was that with pensioners dying from obscene profit-making and youth unemployment at its highest in almost 20 years, if people don't protest now (peacefully and contrsuctively) then they probably never will.

GG.
Jupiter
I dont think anyone could have ever remotely envisaged what is happening today.
I dont know what the alternative to a capitalist system could be.
ashfield
How about a fair one huh.gif

Having now "stolen" money from the money paid to those over 60 to help with winter fuel, the government is now considering the withdrawal of maternity pay. I hope that the children of Britain have their piggy banks well hidden.

Click to view attachment
Jupiter
Ashfield,Im not really au fait with the benefit system but after a wee look at the CAB Advice Guide it looks to me that there are a number of benefits available;Pension credit,Housing benefit,council tax benefit,Winter Fuel Payment,Cold weather payments.What did the government steal from those over 60?
ashfield
Jupiter, have a look at GG post # 4 above.
Jupiter
That looks like the temporary rises made by the Labour Govt who no doubt would also have let it expire.
You could hardly call it theft when the govt is merely reverting to the original payment levels.
ashfield
Perhaps so, but there will be nothing temporary about the those who die of hypothermia.
GG
QUOTE (Melody @ 16th Oct 2011, 11:03am) *

It turns out that we were involved in this programme of 'We are the 99%' series of occupations, after all. In support of the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, up to 100 protesters have been camped in George Square this week. Unfortunately, Glasgow's and Scotland's media have been toadying to a global news blackout of events in support of the OWS movement. The only exception in Scotland appears to be the Sunday Post, which published a story about the Glasgow protest at the weekend.

The council agreed, reluctantly, to allow the siting of the camped protesters in George Square for one week, although they had wanted them to go to Glasgow Green (where no-one would have seen them).

Will upload some photos later. The protestors might have to move on following the flooding yesterday.

GG.
irrie
Morning all. Global news blackout surely just another name for censorship. Cheers
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Oct 2011, 08:04am) *
... The protestors might have to move on following the flooding yesterday.

GG.

Flooding? unsure.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 18th Oct 2011, 09:53am) *
Flooding? unsure.gif

Yes, we had a bit of rain yesterday huh.gif
Melody
I know Martin about George Square although your right hardly a word to be found anywhere on the protests. Scary when you think about it how a media blackout seemed to be in operation.

Jupiter
"Toadying to a global news blackout?"
I dont think the ET is in on that as the protest at Geo Square is the top story on their E edition today.
Melody
Good Jupiter at least that's something. Imagine, they are being asked to move due to the council workers having to put up the Christmas lights? There'll be no such thing as Christmas festivities soon by the looks of it. People have no money to spend, they will be worried sick about paying to keep themselves warm this winter.
TeeHeeHee
“There is also a risk of high voltage cabling being breached with tent pegs and stakes where the protesters have pitched their tents.

That's a joke too.
High voltage cables less than a foot beneath the ground and unprotected?
Who are they trying to kid?
Melody
I think it's us THH laugh.gif laugh.gif
GG
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 18th Oct 2011, 01:58pm) *
"Toadying to a global news blackout?"
I dont think the ET is in on that as the protest at Geo Square is the top story on their E edition today.

Thanks, but I hae ma doots, Jupiter, as it's not actually publicising that the event was/is taking place – the actual protest happened on Saturday. It looks to me like the ET is just letting people know the flimsy excuses the council is giving for removing the 'We are the 99%' protestors.

GG.
GG
A council spokesman said: “There is also a risk of high voltage cabling being breached with tent pegs and stakes where the protesters have pitched their tents."

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 18th Oct 2011, 04:26pm) *
That's a joke too.
High voltage cables less than a foot beneath the ground and unprotected?
Who are they trying to kid?

THH, contrary to what the ET printed, the protestors are not "pitched in front of the City Chambers", but are actually in front of the former Ernst & Young offices in George Square. This spot is used as the site of the Remembrance Garden on Remembrance Sunday. At that time, a considerable number of wooden stakes of varying sizes (some much larger than tent pegs) are driven into the ground on this rectangle of grass. Is the council now saying that putting in these stakes poses a danger?

GG.
ashfield
Perhaps the councillors are worried about what the protesters may dig up rolleyes.gif
GG
ohmy.gif That stolen tram has never been found ... I wonder!?!

GG.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Oct 2011, 06:16pm) *
Thanks, but I hae ma doots, Jupiter, as it's not actually publicising that the event was/is taking place – the actual protest happened on Saturday. It looks to me like the ET is just letting people know the flimsy excuses the council is giving for removing the 'We are the 99%' protestors.

GG.

I must agree there. I read the full ET report too and found it rather lacking in content which it made up for by printing silly excuses.
GG
The photos from yesterday, as promised. My apologies for the very poor quality – I didn't have my camera and the phone was set to the lowest setting! Hopefully you get a better idea of the location than the photo in the Evening Times!

GG.
GG
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 18th Oct 2011, 10:56pm) *
I must agree there. I read the full ET report too and found it rather lacking in content which it made up for by printing silly excuses.

The 'story' didn't actually appear in the paper – at least not the 'first edition', according to my cursory flick-through in WHSmith – which suggests to me that they found out they'd been rumbled and dispatched a photographer while the journalist phoned the city chambers for a quote.

GG.
TeeHeeHee

Thanks for posting those GG. Now I see where we are.
Of course I was referring to the on-line ET where I had to sign-in to get the full report and thought Was that it? rolleyes.gif
Jupiter
THH The ET at one time had a really good E edition but it has gone south in recent times.The story I mentioned was their top one but, with the ET now unless it was something that really interested me I dont even open the page.This was one of them.
TeeHeeHee
It's been so long since I used the E edition of the ET, Joop, that last night I first registered before I was reminded that was already registered. rolleyes.gif

Now I realise why I haven't been there in so long. wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
It would seem that the biggest majority of the protestors outside St Paul's Cathedral in London don't have the courage of their convictions.
What news on George Square?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8...-overnight.html
GG
THH, they are still there, as of yesterday at least. The council wants them moved asap, and have suggested alternative sites near the Financial Services District and Glasgow Green, presumably where they will not be seen!

A spokesman for the council commented:
"The continued presence of protestors is having a significant impact on council operations to prepare the site for Remembrance and Christmas events.

[This area] essentially becomes a building site with the installation of the Christmas lights, ice rink, kiosks, nativity scene and fairground. For safety and operational reasons it is not possible to install and build the infrastructure while the occupation is ongoing. As a result this will have an impact on whether we can have the planned Christmas light switch-on – which regularly attracts thousands of people – on November 20."

GG.
benny
Ah don't see whit the problem is wi a few tents in George Square. Only a few short weeks ago, whole sections o the City Centre were shut tae the public so they could make another silly zombie film.
TeeHeeHee
Thanks Martin.
The Telegraph has now updated it's report with a bit of Thermal Imageing

Scotsman
QUOTE (benny @ 25th Oct 2011, 11:39am) *
Ah don't see whit the problem is wi a few tents in George Square. Only a few short weeks ago, whole sections o the City Centre were shut tae the public so they could make another silly zombie film.

A very good point that I think should be put to the council after all the people in George Square are trying to change things for the better in our society not just making a bit of entertainment.... if thats what you call it!!
Scotsman
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 25th Oct 2011, 11:39am) *
Thanks Martin.
The Telegraph has now updated it's report with a bit of Thermal Imageing

Wow.... that is some technology.... imagine how it could be used to maybe stop illegal immigration and things like that but of course thats not as important as what we have here. Maybe the occupiers left to get a good nights sleep because there was a noisy helicopter hovering above them!!
GG
Some photos from the 'Occupy Glasgow' protest camp in George Square, taken on Friday last week and Monday this week.

GG.
GG
Looking forward to reading this comment article later today:

Free speech has been priced – at 20k
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/comme...t-20k-1.1132019

GG.
GG
Glasgow City Council is today seeking court action to remove the 'Occupy Glasgow' protesters from the corner of George Square they have been encamped in for two weeks. A letter of expulsion has already been issued, ordering the anti-capitalists activists to leave.

A council spokesman said:
"George Square isn't a huge space - it's not the world's biggest civic square. It's very intensively used at this time of year, so next week we'll start to put in the Garden of Remembrance for Armistice Day.

The week after that we actually celebrate Armistice Day itself and the Sunday after that we have Remembrance Sunday, when the square is absolutely packed."

A spokeswoman for the protesters said that they would be willing to consider an appropriate alternative venue; however, the group felt that the alternative sites offered by the council, including at the Broomielaw and in the Gallowgate, were both unsafe and inappropriate.

GG.
Dave Grieve
I wonder if Ionnsaig is encamped at George Square?
ashfield
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Nov 2011, 09:22am) *
A spokeswoman for the protesters said that they would be willing to consider an appropriate alternative venue; however, the group felt that the alternative sites offered by the council, including at the Broomielaw and in the Gallowgate, were both unsafe and inappropriate.

GG.

Given that one of their number was attacked in her tent in George Square, I wonder where they would consider is more safe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.