Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foreigner/Immigrant Bashing
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Tommy Kennedy
Home secretary Thereasa May, Tory conferance, said (No doubt hoping the Daily Mail woulld 'headline it')

'I know of of a case - and I'm not making this up - where an illegal immigrant was allowed to stay because he had a pet cat. She was making it up; judge of case slammed it as did her Cabinet colleauge, Ken Clarke.

Still not the worse lie spouted at the Tory conferance!
GG
Here's the woman in (remixed) action at the conference:

What the Independent had to say about this unfortunate episode:
... Mrs May's claims were refuted by a spokeswoman for the Judicial Office, which represents senior judges, who said the ruling in the case had nothing to do with the cat, reportedly called Maya.

The case at the centre of the row, which was quickly dubbed Catgate, involved an immigrant facing deportation from Britain who cited ownership of a pet cat with his girlfriend as part of his legal battle to stay in the country three years ago.

The man, a Bolivian who came to the UK as a student, gave cat ownership as one of "many details" to prove the long-term nature of his relationship, his solicitor Barry O'Leary said when the case first came to light in October 2009.

But the solicitor insisted that his client had "never" argued that he should be allowed to stay on the grounds of the cat. Nor had he been allowed to stay because of this, he said.

The Home Office had appealed to the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal against a judgment allowing the man to stay in the country.

Mr O'Leary said at the time: "We were never arguing on the basis that the cat was material. We argued that there is a Home Office policy they should have applied in this case because of the long term nature of the couple's relationship.

"The immigration judge found that was the reason the appeal should be allowed."

But giving her judgment against the Home Office appeal, senior immigration judge Judith Gleeson joked that the cat "need no longer fear having to adapt to Bolivian mice". ...

GG.
TeeHeeHee
I can understand introducing the cat as a reason, among others, to be exempted from deportation. Mary and I are in a relationship which is now 5 weeks into it's 23rd year and although there's little chance of the German Home Office (Das Innenminesterium) seeking a deportation order on me Mary has often said to me when I expressed my deep rooted desire to hit-the-road, again, You'd leave the Maus? laugh.gif
I'm the Maus's attatchment figure (Bezugsperson) tongue.gif
benny
Video on BBC News website of Cameron making jocular reference to the children's bok "Mog the cat" and the Tory faithful - including Catwummin May - hivin a wee smirk aboot it.
Mebbe she should remember whit happened tae Matilda in Hillaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales For Children biggrin.gif :

Matilda told such Dreadful Lies,
It made one Gasp and Stretch one's Eyes;
Her Aunt, who, from her Earliest Youth,
Had kept a Strict Regard for Truth,
Attempted to Believe Matilda:
The effort very nearly killed her,
And would have done so, had not She
Discovered this Infirmity.
For once, towards the Close of Day,
Matilda, growing tired of play,
And finding she was left alone,
Went tiptoe to the Telephone
And summoned the Immediate Aid
Of London's Noble Fire-Brigade.
Within an hour the Gallant Band
Were pouring in on every hand,
From Putney, Hackney Downs, and Bow.
With Courage high and Hearts a-glow,
They galloped, roaring through the Town,
"Matilda's House is Burning Down!"
Inspired by British Cheers and Loud
Proceeding from the Frenzied Crowd,
They ran their ladders through a score
Of windows on the Ball Room Floor;
And took Peculiar Pains to Souse
The Pictures up and down the House,
Until Matilda's Aunt succeeded
In showing them they were not needed;
And even then she had to pay
To get the Men to go away!
It happened that a few Weeks later
Her Aunt was off to the Theatre
To see that Interesting Play
The Second Mrs. Tanqueray.
She had refused to take her Niece
To hear this Entertaining Piece:
A Deprivation Just and Wise
To Punish her for Telling Lies.
That Night a Fire did break out—
You should have heard Matilda Shout!
You should have heard her Scream and Bawl,
And throw the window up and call
To People passing in the Street —
(The rapidly increasing Heat
Encouraging her to obtain
Their confidence)—but all in vain!
For every time she shouted "Fire!"
They only answered "Little Liar!"
And therefore when her Aunt returned,
Matilda, and the House, were Burned.
tamhickey
She was on The Daily Politics show being interviewed by Andrew Marr when he told her it it was a nonsense, and that her researchers ought to be more thorough. Her face at that point looked furious, more than anything because she had been found out. What worries me were the cheers from the baying mob of tories who applauded her statements and sentiments which seemed more akin to an English Defence League meeting than a Governmental Conference.
Again the tories have picked off yet another scapegoated target, ie immigrants, and told lies, complete fabrications just as they did with single parents and the unemployed. She was pandering to the seal like old codgers who wistfully remember tales of their ancestors beating the fuzzy wuzzys and clinging to empire for all it's worth.
I've never heard of a more stupid and vacuous speech from a member of cabinet of whatever hue in my life. I sincerely hope never to do so again.
Dave Grieve
The rise of extreme right wing parties like the English defence league and others in the same mold would never have happened if "British" goverments over the years had looked after their own citizens,
Even the SNP would have remained a fringe party sidelined forever if the ordinary man in the street had been looked after.
Probably the biggest crime of all commited against the working man was from the very people that working class Britain looked to for help.
The Labour Party seem to have been the biggest culprits of all in allowing unrestricted immigration into the UK with the only result being a flood of cheap labour that helped to keep unemployment high and wages depressed while keeping people in poverty.
I am not against immigration, but take the best on offer not the dregs that nobody else will have.

But what do I know.
Tommy Kennedy
It’s the ‘working man/ordinary man’ that the likes of May preach to – saying in effect: ‘Oh; look how they are treated – what they get and you get nothing’ – not of course by us, we’ll put a stop to it’
A formula that has always worked for them.
GG
She isn't even original:

GG.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 6th Oct 2011, 09:30am) *
It’s the ‘working man/ordinary man’ that the likes of May preach to – saying in effect: ‘Oh; look how they are treated – what they get and you get nothing’ – not of course by us, we’ll put a stop to it’
A formula that has always worked for them.

Tommy they are all liars everyone of them, there is not and never has been an honest politician.
Tommy Kennedy
Foreigner bashing was the ‘norm’ in this country right up to WW2 – what am I saying, still is with many ! – Though we didn’t see many foreigners in Glasgow pre-WW2 – other than Irish who were scorned unless of course they were proddy Irish
With a lengthy depression right up to WW2 U.K. had a shortage of skilled labour. Skilled black labour were imported in their thousands; they were treated badly, especially in London, housed in slum conditions. With them though it was more racial. Other races fared better, thousands of Poles settled in Glasgow and other cities,, they experienced no problems there was full employment for Brits, experiencing a quality of life, in spite of shortages, that they never dreamt of.
The mid-late 60s Irish were imported to build our motor ways – no problems.
It is when the U.K has economic/social problems/unenployment, the Establishment directs the populace to ‘Blame it on the foreigners’.

Rab-oldname
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 6th Oct 2011, 07:39am) *
I've never heard of a more stupid and vacuous speech from a member of cabinet of whatever hue in my life. I sincerely hope never to do so again.

Don't hold your breath Tam! rolleyes.gif
ray stevenson
I don't believe this had anything at all to do with foreigner bashing. It is quite clearly an issue that the Human Rights Act is flawed and needs addressed. This is an issue Labour's former immigration minister agrees with. This from the Daily Mail.

It’s not only Conservatives who rail against the Human Rights Act - as these extracts from the private diary of former Immigration Minister Phil Woolas amply demonstrate...

A Labour former Immigration Minister last night said Theresa May was right to say human rights laws make a mockery of the way Britain deals with asylum seekers.

Phil Woolas also released extracts from an explosive diary revealing the ‘absurd’ degree to which the immigration service was hampered by court rulings on human rights.

Mr Woolas, who was in charge of immigration policy at the time of a court ruling to let a Bolivian escape deportation partly because he had a cat, said he ‘strongly agreed’ with Home Secretary Mrs May.

Another part of the article reads.................Published below, they reveal his anger at learning:

• Osama Bin Laden’s son could use British Freedom of Information rules to see Government files rejecting his visa application, even though he lived in the Middle East.
  • A suspected drug lord was freed because the French navy vessel which caught him took too long to bring him to port and charge him.
  • A convicted rapist due to be deported could still get British legal aid in India to fight for custody of his estranged son.
  • There was a challenge to the Lords against deporting someone to Greece because the Greek asylum system might breach the person’s human rights.
He added last night: ‘The root of the problem is that the original human rights rules gave protection against persecution to citizens of Europe.

‘Yet over the years, judges’ decisions have extended these rights to people who are simply in Europe. We cannot put right the wrongs of dysfunctional countries from the courtrooms of Britain. That’s why the Home Secretary is right to seek to amend the law to give power back to Parliament.’

He said that ultimately, the only solution was to negotiate changes to the ECHR.
Dave Grieve
Story in todays Scottish Sun

A woman of 88 who fled death threats in Zimbabwe is set to be booted out of Britain — while immigrant criminals including rapists remain.
Frail Lydia Werrit is living with her daughter and son-in-law after her farm was seized by despot Robert Mugabe's henchmen.

She arrived in Britain as a visitor in 2003 but did not apply to stay when her visa ran out.

Now the UK Border Agency has told her to go immediately.

Yet The Sun reported on Monday how drugged-up Pakistan-born death driver Raja Mohammed Anwar Khan, 50, and Barbados-born double rapist Rohan Winfield, 38, will both stay — as separating them from their families would "breach their human rights".

Mrs Werrit said: "If I did return, I would go back to nothing — nothing at all."

An agency spokeswoman said a decision would be made soon but insisted Mrs Werrit was "not in need of international protection".

I ask the question in all seriousness. Is this woman being sent back to Zimbabwe because she has not learned to play the human rights sympathy game, or is it because she is white and the authorities are pretending to make it look as if they are fair to everyone.
GG
The Daily Mail comments page went into overdrive today after Glasgow produced its very own asylum seeker controversy to rival 'catgate'.

Failed asylum seeker who has dodged deportation for a decade told he can stay... because he goes to the GYM

A failed asylum seeker who has dodged deportation from Britain for nearly a decade has been told he can stay – because he goes to the gym.

Amir Beheshti, 40, has been trying to get refugee status for seven years, but was repeatedly turned down by the courts, who ruled he would not suffer if he returned to his home country Iran.

But he has now told judges he has a private life that involves going for work-outs with his friends [in Springburn] – which means his human rights would be violated if he was deported.

The controversial legal ruling by Scotland’s Court of Session means he will be allowed to continue living rent-free in his publicly funded flat and claiming a weekly allowance. ...

Full story here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...y-goes-GYM.html

GG.
Heather
Failed asylum seeker who has dodged deportation for a decade told he can stay... because he goes to the GYM

The controversial legal ruling by Scotland’s Court of Session means he will be allowed to continue living rent-free in his publicly funded flat and claiming a weekly allowance.

This once again prove's the lies the Government tell us when they say Asylum Seekers do not and can not claim Benefits.

CHB, DLA, Winter Heating Allowance and other Benefits have all been cut back while Asylum Seekers live in Britain at the expense of the taxpayers. mad.gif
Shirley
Heather, don't forget our children have also lost the EMA but that doesn't stop asylum seekers crowding our kids out from colleges.

Does anyone really care about us or our children?
Scotsman
I wonder how many ordinary people have been forced to give up gym membership because they no longer have the money for it because of all the cutbacks they have had to make to balance their budgets??
Heather
Shirley I did not know the EMA had been cut.
I don't know much about the Ema except that I thought it was a good thing as it would help poorer and big families to let their children stay on at School and hopefully go on to Further Education.

So tell us more about it.

Aye your right Scotsman, those who work and those who did work to earn a Pension are the one's who have to tighten their belts, no handouts for us. sad.gif
Dave Grieve
STORY IN TODAYS DAILY MAIL

Stowaway illegal immigrant who committed 20 offences is awarded 17,000 compensation after being 'unlawfully' jailed for four months

An illegal immigrant who arrived as a stowaway and then committed some 20 offences has thanked a judge after being awarded more than 17,000 for being falsely imprisoned by the Home Office for four months.
Judge Stephen Stewart QC concluded that 28-year-old Joseph Mjemer – who had used at least five aliases and claimed to be from four different countries – should be freed and paid damages by the Home Office for ‘loss of liberty’.

He ruled that Mjemer, who took legal action after being granted legal aid, should be awarded 17,360 following a hearing at the High Court in London. Mjemer told him: ‘Thank you very much.’

I cant think of any other country in the world that would have such liberal laws that can enable a judge to hand down such a ludicrous judgment.

If its true that you reap what you sow then hell mend the British people, because by trying to be fair to everybody you are only f*%$#*g yourself up. (I tried to find a more suitable description but this is the only one that fits)

Dont bulldust yourself into believing that the world looks up to you, all the world does is laugh at the UK.
Heather
mad.gif I read this report in the newspaper today and it's disgraceful.

Tory MP Philip Davies said the award made Britain the laughing stock of the world. It sure has.

A man who has no right to be in this Country walks off with 17000-00.

How did the Judge work out our Government had no right to detain an illegal immigrant??

This leaves the door wide open for other illegal immigrants who have been detained, to also sue the Government.

So now we should charge the man for bed and board and the cost of sending him back to his own Country.
The people whom he committed his criminal offences against should sue him for compensation.

I hope the Government Appeals this award.
tamhickey
What was he illegally held for? Perhaps it was the cops who messed up with the charge? Don't trust the Daily Fuhrer for any "news".
Dave Grieve
What charge?

An illegal immigrant has no right to be walking the streets in any case, and can be picked up and detained without any warrant.

He has been awarded this sum of money simply because some smart alex lawyer has exploited a loophole.

Dare I suggest that the 'Daily Fuhrer' has the right Idea about getting rid of illegals without ANY considerations for their non existent British human rights.
benny
Apparently, he can't be deported because no-one knows his country of origin, and he obviously isn't going to volunteer the information while that condition holds. He won't say where he comes from, so he can't be deported! rolleyes.gif
wombat
He won't say where he comes from, so he can't be deported!

planet earth laugh.gif
anonymous
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 6th Nov 2011, 07:51am) *
What was he illegally held for? Perhaps it was the cops who messed up with the charge? Don't trust the Daily Fuhrer for any "news".

Sorry Tam the standard "Mail made it up' PC response do'nt cut it in this case, even the PC news did'nt repress this one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/nov/04/...e-17000-damages
beth
What happened to the Old Zimbabwe woman, missed reading it
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (beth @ 19th Nov 2011, 08:35am) *
What happened to the Old Zimbabwe woman, missed reading it

May be wrong Beth but I think she was given a few years grace.
GG
This story, from the Sun earlier this month, appears to be 'immigrant-bashing', but is in fact true:

“200 homes will need to be built EVERY DAY for 23 years just to house immigrants at the current rate... A study last week revealed immigrants will make up two-thirds of the rise in the UK's population by 2027”

Full story here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...mmigration.html

GG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.