Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amanda Knox Freed
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
GG

Amanda Knox to fly home after Kercher murder acquittal

Amanda Knox is preparing to fly home to the US after she and ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were cleared of the murder of Briton Meredith Kercher.

An Italian appeal court overturned their conviction for killing the 21-year-old Leeds University student, from south London, in Perugia in 2007.

Miss Knox, 24, and Mr Sollecito, 27, had spent nearly four years in jail.

Miss Kercher's family said they did not understand how the original verdict could be so "radically overturned".

However, the family - in Perugia for the decision - added in a statement: "We still trust the Italian justice system and hope that the truth will eventually emerge." ...

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15162243

GG.
TeeHeeHee
Some may call this a miscarriage of justice ... but the defence called it a miscarriage of forensic gathering.
kenb - old account
this has got me beat i usualy have an idea but who to believe!
tombro
It's amazing what you can achieve with lots of American dollars and a friendly Italian Politician on your side.

I really feel sorry for the family of the wee lassie who was killed !

Tombro unsure.gif
Jupiter
Tombro,Im interested in your post.I too feel sorry for the victims family and I wonder what it is you mean by lots of American dollars and a friendly Italian politician on their side.
Clearly it would take money to mount a defence or has the money been used in other ways.
Has the politician used undue force on the Judiciary?
Dave Grieve
Still cant make up my mind on this one ?????
TeeHeeHee
There's a reasonable summary of the murder here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Meredith_Kercher

I know that Wiki is never the most reliable source; two weeks ago while researching something, I read there that William Shatner was a p*rn star who appeared as Captain Cl*t in a ScFi series (this was corrected after I notified the controllers who emailed me in response) but in this case the information doesn't appear to have vandalised.
Jupiter
THH If I had a spare three days I would read that Wiki entry.It is absolutely astounding the amount of additional sources as well.Not having studied the case so far I wont be dipping my toes in the water here.
TeeHeeHee
Joop, here's just about everything that the Guardian has on the Meredith Kercher story/case.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/meredithkercher
Jupiter
THH,thanks very much.
Heather
I feel sorry for the girl who was murdered, but if Amanda Knox is really innocent then it was the right verdict to release her. It serve's no purpose for the wrong people to be in Prison while the guilty remain free.
I listened to a lot of it on the TV and I think the Italian Police really messed up when gathering their evidence.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Heather @ 4th Oct 2011, 05:04pm) *
I feel sorry for the girl who was murdered, but if Amanda Knox is really innocent then it was the right verdict to release her. It serve's no purpose for the wrong people to be in Prison while the guilty remain free.
I listened to a lot of it on the TV and I think the Italian Police really messed up when gathering their evidence.

I often thought the same about the 'Birmingham 6' Heather. What cowards could hide whilst their fellow-countrymen suffered for so long! How many other innocent convicted languished whilst the perpetrators skulked with their consciences - if they ever had any.
Heather
Rab it's bad enough murdering someone, but to let an innocent person pay the penalty for their crime only shows them for the wicked people they are.

They most certainly have no conscience, most likely patting themselves on the back that they are in the clear as the case is now considered to be finished. As for finding out who actually committed the murder, I don't think that will happen as the Italian Police made such a hash of it from the beginning.

glasgow lass
I feel that the right thing has finally been done regarding these two people by releasing both of them.All the better for this couple that their parents could afford to do this as am sure it cost a pretty euro.God help anyone who is suffering in a prison who has wrongly been convicted.
wombat
I don't think that will happen as the Italian Police made such a hash of it from the beginning.sez heather

yie got that right heather 24 hour grilling by a dozen or more police,

(working in shifts)surely sleep deprivation is a form of torture ?
Mathieson
It seemed like an open and shut case when it all first came to the fore, but as somebody else has already suggested, once US Dollars and the PR machine her family mounted came into it, it was always going to be a stick-on that Knox would go free.
Guilty as sin in my opinion.
wombat
dry.gif naw they got the right wan,wee lassie didny kill ennywan
TeeHeeHee
Rudy Guedy opted for a fast-track trial in the hope that if he was found guilty he'd receive a shorter sentence.
That says a lot.
He was sentenced to 30 years ... reduced to 16 on appeal.
Heather
I've been reading a lot of the comments on the Internet about Amanda Knox and most of them think she is guilty. Some of them pointed out that she was freed on a technicality not because she was found to be innocent.

I wonder if we will ever know the truth about Meredith's murder, I think not.
GG

Profile: Amanda Knox
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21937825

GG.
Doug1
Now that the acquittal has been overruled, which I am delighted at, we may at last find out exactly what happened to Merideth on that night. If a retrial finds Knox innocent fine but if they find her and her Italian boyfriend guilty then I hope they will be returned to prison. I followed the case closely at the time and found it perplexing that these two were in the house yet knew nothing of the savage murder of Merideth. Sadly I think I will be at least 5 years older before the truth is finally uncovered !!
DavidT
Amanda Knox was on the box
Accused of murder most vile
The world would see her walking free
But only for a while
Foxy52
The talk on the news here is that her lawyers won't be sending her back to Italy for the new trial.In the States we have something called "Double Jeopardy", which means if you were aquitted for a crime you can't be tried for the same thing even if new evidence sufaces. I realize that the crime took place in Italy and not the U.S.A., but the word right now is that even if Italy demand extradition, it is not going to happen.
I will keep you updated when anything arises over here regarding this
Cheers
Foxy
john.mcn
If the USA refuses to extradite if Italy requests it i hope the world or more importantly the UK takes note about any future US requests.
angel
I think that she will be extradited " I hope so " and for what it's worth , the Italian court can still have the trial in her absence .
Doug1
Thanks Foxy 52

I think most people who followed the case will be happy just to know what happened in that flat on that night. If it was to transpire that Knox and her boyfriend were to be found guilty of her murder or accomplices to the crime that would give satisfaction to most people. Whether she would ever serve her sentence would be an issue for her and her family and friends and the American public. If however a re-trial proved her likely innocence then that is what we would have to accept and wish her well.

In Scotland we have a unique verdict of Not Proven. If a jury believes a person to be guilty of a serious crime, usually murder, but the prosecution fail to prove guilt conclusively then the jury can offer up the Not Proven verdict.
Heather
I read quite a lengthy article in a newspapaper a few days ago regarding evidence found in Meredith' apartment and there was nothing found to involve Amanda Fox or her boyfriend in the murder.

The only evidence found along with bloody fingerprints belonged to the man now serving a prison sentence for the murder.
There was a bra clip found in the apartment six weeks after the murder with unknown fingerprints on it.
The Italian Police really seem to have botched up the investigation right from the start.
wee davy
no matter, heather - the liklihood of her ever setting foot in italy again and slim to zero - with the emphasis on zero - she was treated appallingly by the italian justice system.

The story about that treatment will come out, to. (joined up).

still tragic for the victims family - i can understand their bitterness
Mathieson
There is no danger of Ms. Knox returning to Italy - ever.
GG
Knox and Sollecito lose Meredith Kercher murder appeal

Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito had their convictions for the murder of the British student Meredith Kercher reinstated on Thursday night, a dramatic development in the long-running legal saga which paves the way for a possible extradition tussle between Italy and the United States.

Delivering its ruling at the end of the defendants' four-month-long second appeal, the court of appeal in Florence upheld the guilty verdicts for both the 26-year-old American student and her Italian ex-boyfriend, who have protested their innocence for years.

After nearly 12 hours of deliberations, a packed, silent courtroom heard Judge Alessandro Nencini sentence Knox to 28 years and six months in jail while Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years. Sollecito is free pending a definitive confirmation of the verdict by Italy's highest court but cannot travel out of the country.

Though it is bound to come as a huge psychological blow for Seattle-based Knox, the verdict is not likely to have any immediate logistical impact on her as it will only become definitive if confirmed by Italy's top appeals court, and only then would Rome be in a position to request her extradition.

Full story here:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/...r-murder-appeal

GG.
Foxy52
She was on ABC Good Morning America this morning, she has vowed that she will not be going back to Italy quote."the only way l will go back is if they drag me screaming and kicking" end quote.
The legal team on that particular show, said that this could go on for years, even though America and Italy have an extradition agreement, it would likely be years to enforce it due to the U.S.A.s policy of not trying a person twice with the same crime. It is called "Double Jeopardy".
Cheers
Foxy
mlconnelly
I'm no legal expert, especially when it comes to US law but surely if the crime was committed in another country, i.e. Italy, the Double Jeopardy shouldn't apply. My own personal opinion is that Ms Knox shouldn't have been allowed to leave Italy until the case had been finally put to rest. Mary
Doug1
As I understand it she hasn't been tried twice. This latest appeal has overturned the last appeal which acquitted her, so I dont think the double jeopardy rule would apply. I dont even know if Italy has a double jeopardy law anyway. I read that there is still another final court which would have to ratify the guilty verdicts before any further action could be taken against Knox and Solicetto. I would think it extremely unlikely that Knox will ever see the inside of an Italian jail even if she is finally found guilty
Foxy52
From what they said on the show this morning she was tried and found guilty and sentenced to 28 years, then her lawyers appealed to the supreme court in Italy, and it was them that overturned the guilty verdict, that was appealed against in a lower court and this time she has been found guilty again, what l don't understand is how a lower court can overturn the decision by the supreme court. Like you Mary, l am certainly no expert in law, but l'm a little confused by it all. Just repeating what was shown on the Morning Show
Cheers
Foxy
mlconnelly
Italy doesn't have a Double Jeopardy law but as America does, I think this will create a major problem if the guilty verdict is ratified and Italy asks for extradition. According to an American civil rights lawyer today , America could and most probably would use double jeopardy to refuse an extradition request but that would show American in a very bad light which other countries who they have extradition treaties with. Yet if they hand her over to the Italians I sure there will be many unhappy Americans. Complicated situation all round . Mary
Foxy52
Should be an interesting few months, but to be honest, personally l think she was involved in the murder. Just my tuppence worth.
Cheers
Foxy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.