Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing Home The Bacon In Byres Road
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
GG
Evidence that the recession is biting into Glasgow's squeezed middle classes emerged today after it was revealed that well-heeled shoppers in some of Glasgow's most affluent areas have been helping themselves to low-price items at city Tesco stores.

Tesco branches in affluent areas of the city, including Merchant City and Byres Road, have had to resort to putting electronic security tags on items such as bacon (£2) and mince (£2.50) after thefts of some meat products reached epidemic proportions. Such tagging measures have previously been reserved for higher-value and luxury items such as DVDs and televisions.

Liberal Democrat councillor for Hillhead, Ken Elder, whose party is part of the UK coalition government imposing deep cuts, said:
"I am surprised and disappointed ... having to remove the security tag from your pork chop seems a bit excessive."

A Tesco spokesman said:
"It is not a universal rule to tag raw meat products, and the decision would have been taken by managers at local level. For years certain products have always been tagged, [and] if any store has an issue with meat theft, action will be taken."

One local customer responded with dismay, saying:
"Perhaps, due to the recession, those who can't afford to feed themselves are resorting to theft. Some people just can't afford to pay for things and these measures are a result of for that."

Meanwhile, just a few miles away in the Tesco store in the poorest constituency in the UK, Glasgow North East, the bacon remains tag-free ... for the time being!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

GG.
Strangelove
Yeesh! The brand of bacon I prefer goes for about £4.49, here in Florida. That is for a pound, though, which is about 453g. Still, That's pretty extreme to tag meat to prevent folks from nicking some of it. Tesco must be loosing a fair quantity of it to do this.
RedSkywalker
I object to your use of the word "just" in the polling question - what they steal the meat for isn't the issue - theft is theft!

[GG edit: agreed, I have now removed that word!]
Melody
Oh ah love it Martin. laugh.gif The thought that those who can afford to live in the West End are the biggest villains. laugh.gif Mind you I must admit if I had no food for my children I think I would steal food too. Mibbe the West Enders should move to a less expensive area like the East End where the best people stay and the food may be slightly cheaper for them. laugh.gif Oh ye've really cheered me up this morning.
TeeHeeHee
I pay ¤1.90 for pack of 8 rashers (125g) which works out at more than thrice the price of cat food.
Meow?
Sorry Big Maus but times are hard hen. wub.gif
I remember a guy in the sixties in Clydebridge Steelworks, we called him Wullie Duck because of the odd way he walked, who used to strip the lean out of the bacon that the guys would throw down into the cat's dish (when he thought no one was watchin')
A big painted sign was put up above the cat's dish ...

"The Duck steals the cat's ham!"

Guess the report is nothin' new. laugh.gif
*bette*
Morning folks, thought for today, I have recently been astonished at the lack of customer care at tescos, the do not give a damm about loyalty, I will never shop there again as head office also did not give a fig. Morrisons are the height of customer care.
bilbo.s
It´s April 1st. right ? Or has the Daily Sport re-surfaced ? laugh.gif
Springfield
Definitely agree with RedSkyWalker ... theft is theft..

Back in the"good old days" - late 60s early 70s, Byres Road was one of my favourite hangouts.... in particular the Rock (a café on the road up to the University), but I remember that a lot of the flats in the zone were inhabited by students (definitely not an category with great purchasing power) ... is that no longer the case?
I also remember the Rubiyat (spelling's probably wrong) and a couple of great Pakistani restaurants (I don't know what I'd give for a decent curry!!).
Sweet memories.
Jupiter
There is no doubt in my opinion that the west end and in paticular the Byres Road was the place to be in the 60s and 70s.As youngsters my friends and I would frequent the various bars,the Ruby,The Byre,The Curlers,The Aragon at weekends and inevitably end up at some party in a students or more often a nurses flat in the vicinity.The place was just the cool place to be in Glasgow.Great.
droschke7
theft is indeed theft, whether it's a packet of bacon or a rolls royce the principle is the same. As a disabled ex serviceman trying to survive on the pittance I get from the DWP, I have never stolen or "Shop lifted" anything.
kenb
the nurses flats they were the days say no more wink.gif
byers rd 1976 these girls are now hosp managers etc "i am saying nuffing"
great days and nights , wots this to do with bacon !!!!! rolleyes.gif
wee davy
search me, kenb! (go on, a dare ye lol) ye'll only find 2 buttons, a three day auld hankie, and an extra strong trebor mint laugh.gif

PS they dont steal bacon in the East End, because the traders are too frightened tae put any oan the shelves! MURDER POLIS! (sorry to my long lost east end relations wink.gif )
The two most popular items that people, usually drug addicts, would steal was bacon and coffee. The reason for this is because it is easy to conceal and they can sell it on easily. This is not evidence that the middle class is stealing to feed their families.
Jupiter
Kenb,many of the nurses were from the Highlands and usually had a bit of cash so it was always Bacon,eggs and tattie scones in the morning. rolleyes.gif
*greta*
Hi, whilst I do agree with the fact that theft is theft and sympathize (particularly with the ex serviceman) .Tesco and other stores are making huge amounts of profit and should plough some of these back into the community, with cheaper prices. And I dont mean their value items which can be very poor and not that much cheaper in some cases. I have no sympathy for them at all. I do know people on the breadline and their pensions or allowances in no way keep up with inflation. Maybe we should all look at a fairer answer on this side of the argument, I know some people are finding it hard to survive, never mind pay inflated prices for essential food. While supermarkets are rubbing their hands with their greedy profits. P.S. I have never stolen anything and have worked hard all of my life but I do feel compassion for those poorer off than myself not for the supermarket giants who along with the government force some (not all ) into this end.
amclpreston
The poll...

If someone is stealing to feed their kids, I have no problem with that.

Tesco make squillions in profit, their workers are hardly paid a kings ransom, and the shareholder are rewarded handsomely.

I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (*bette* @ 30th Sep 2011, 10:36am) *
Morrisons are the height of customer care.

Not in my book, I'm afraid. They handled our complaint very badly, and as a result, we stopped buying from them. It won't be enough to damage their annual profits, but as a result of the poor response to a customer complaint, they've lost around £20,000 of our custom in the years since then, which Sainsbury's gained.

Others, I'm sure, will have a different experience, but ours was not good.
Jupiter
There is one big drawback when stealing from a shop such as Tesco or any other supermarket.You are liable to get caught,arrested and taken to court.So what happens to the kids when their mum is taken away by the Police.Ill tell you.If a relative cannot be found quickly the social work dept become involved and they take the kids.Now is that worth all the hassle?
Forget the profits and shareholders.Supermarkets are businesses there to provide a service and make a profit and if a person takes their property they normally take proceedings as far as they can whether its a £2 pack of bacon or a £30 bottle of whisky.
Perhaps Springburn Tesco should have security guards on the front door to make sure that only locals get access and not these hooligans from across the city intent on thieving.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:35pm) *
I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

Are you prepared to be repeatedly robbed and burgled by someone who gives a plausible explanation for choosing you as his victim?
*bert millers son*
I blame the tourists.... first they are throwing their fags in the streets.... and now they are nicking our streaky bacon!! Next they'll be getting bevvied and shouting the odds at Old Firm matches!!

Ban them!!
0141black
Of course, the fact that the local Tesco manager chooses to do this might not bear much relation to the size of the problem.

And that fact that other Tesco managers choose not to do it...etc
stratson
One of the local Govanhill girls way back in the late 50's or early 60's married and she and hubby duly bought villa in Newton Mearns.
This may sound off topic...It's not.
Afew of us visited each other and had dinner. When we went to said persons home we were given a !Spam Sandwich.
She could not afford shopping due to mortgage!

Perhaps those would be "Byres Road shoppers are in similiar position.

No excuse for theft.

Mind you if my kids were hungry no telling what level would stoop to put a bit of food in their mouths.
My priority after roof over your head is proper nutritional food. unsure.gif
wee davy
QUOTE (*greta* @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:10am) *

Well said, greta

However its probably more accurate to say, youve never KNOWINGLY stolen anything LOL) if you were given change of a tenner, instead of a fiver, on the high street - would you go all the way back into town, pay the parking charge, and offer the difference back to the retailer???

I too find it very difficult to sympathise with the 'big boys' at this time - they're xmas's have all come at once, with the present austerity climate.

I saw somewhere, they're putting tags on big bars of chocolate - I can see a lot of gloomy female faces out there laugh.gif
wee davy
No excuse for theft.

Mind you if my kids were hungry no telling what level would stoop to put a bit of food in their mouths.

classic, stratson smile.gif wink.gif
Alex MacPhee
Perhaps supermarkets could have a special counter with the sign 'Free food, poor people only'.

MM
In the recession of the late 1970/early 80s we moved to be near husband's work. Living in a rented flat while trying to pay mortgage on our old flat which didn't sell until about 18 months later was now easy. Worse off, couple off years later when we tried to get back into the housing market. Older cottage flat that needing re-wiring. Then the rates went up. Husband walked to work as we couldn't afford petrol. Really had to eke out our money as unfortunately earning just over the benefit line. Never crossed my mind to steal food or anything else for that matter. We just made do.

Came across a photo some 20 years later, of me from then and showed it to some of my colleagues. Younger ones liked my ripped denims. Hadn't the heart to tell them that wasn't the fashion, they were truly worn out. LOL

PS Why you would want to steal in this day and age. Its not the 19th century. There is help out there if you get down off your high horse and look for it.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (wee davy @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:17pm) *
... if you were given change of a tenner, instead of a fiver, on the high street - would you go all the way back into town ... and offer the difference back to the retailer???

Davy, in an other existence ... my wife who had walked all the way into town to pay the weekly newspaper bill, discovered as she almost reached home on the way back, that the newsagent had given her tuppence too much in her change (it had taken her that long to work it out rolleyes.gif ) and went all the way back into town to return the 2d.
"Here's the man with the most honest wife in town", was my greeting on the Monday morn as I collected my paper on my way to work, amid howls of laughter; since almost everyone who knew her knew also that she was the most noted liar in town. rolleyes.gif
wee davy
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:44pm) *
Perhaps supermarkets could have a special counter with the sign 'Free food, poor people only'.

Thats around the back, Alex.
ts called a SKIP!
thunder badger
The poll never mentioned anything about feeding kids on my screen, but it wouldn't change my answer. I was raised to be honest & my parents always managed to put food on the table, maybe cos my dad grew loads of veg in his garden. He'd often swap surplus for somebody else's chicken or pork, maybe these 'poor' people could get an allotment?

Times may be hard at the moment, but as someone with an interest in history, I know for a fact that we've still got it easy compared to our parents & grand-parents. I don't have any sympathy for thieves, especially those stealing to prop up their middle-class mortgage. The phrase 'fur coat an' nae knickers' comes to mind.
wee davy
QUOTE (thunder badger @ 30th Sep 2011, 01:30pm) *
... middle-class mortgage ...

which banks/financial institutions are selling this product mr badger (or is it mrs?).

welcome to GGDB btw
(kin we mibbe get a 'working-class wan'???)
or hows aboot an UPPER class wan?

dont forget, its only 30 years since EVERYBODY was encouraged to hang a mortgage round their necks - REGARDLESS of social status!!!

wee davy
chas1937
Well I'm sure they can still find money for their cigs,booze,drugs and gambling so saying they need to steal to feed themselves or familiesl is rubbish.So I have no sympathy at all for them when they get caught and trouble is they usually get slap on wrist which means they go out and do it again
bilbo.s
Dear WeeDavy.

Will ye stoap shoutin´words every so often? Ye´re daein´ ma lugs in. For emphasis, ye should italicize ! unsure.gif
wee davy
ah dont know a WORD of italian, bilbo - bit ah'll day a wee course fur ye
where dae ah get ma italian keyboard??

(sorry - i'll keep it doon a bit)
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:35am) *
The poll...

Tesco make squillions in profit, their workers are hardly paid a kings ransom, and the shareholder are rewarded handsomely.

I voted stealing for any reason is unacceptable, i have had several periods of unemployment over the last 40 years, but never once would i have resorted to stealing. The benefit (Buroo) money that we got went straight to buying food for our children, making sure we stocked the cupboards with cheap tins, biscuits, crisps, etc, going to Freezeway to fill the freezer with cheap sausages, bacon and other cheap meat (not the healthiest of foods i'll admit, but my children were never hungry) that kept us going till the next Giro came and till i eventually got back to work. During that time my wife and i made the decision to do without cigarettes (as we both smoked at the time, if we could afford a packet between us we did) but the childrens welfare always came first. There is no excuse for kids to go hungry in this day and age, its just a case of parents getting their priorities right, and for the hand wringers to stop telling them it's okay to steal, what next, it's okay to break into someone's house to feed the kid's, or it's okay to mug an old lady on the street to feed the kids. Stealing is wrong, no excuses.
droschke7
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:35pm) *
The poll...

I am no longer able to work and therefore don't have a job am not one of the "I'm all right Jack" theft is still theft
wee davy
There is no excuse for kids to go hungry in this day and age
JAGZ

Your so right sir. But they do.
They shouldn't get neglected - but they are.
They shouldn't be abused. sad.gif

In this 'day and age' however - IMAGE is all important. People strive to BE 'somebody' - have to own the 55 inch screen TV - the latest wii - and suddenly they find the cupboard's BARE!
Not forgetting, they 'have to' own their own home! (At some phenominal price)

Our society is all upside down these days.
Basic values such as 'thou shalt not steal' seem too easy to do without.
(Especially as its mostly considered a midemeanor (eg shoplifting I mean)
*mervscot*
Hi,

The tagging of some meats has been going on in the Tesco EXTRA in Kilmarnock for over a year now.

Regards Merv.
amclpreston
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:56am) *
There is one big drawback when stealing from a shop such as Tesco or any other supermarket.You are liable to get caught,arrested and taken to court.So what happens to the kids when their mum is taken away by the Police.Ill tell you.If a relative cannot be found quickly the social work dept become involved and they take the kids.Now is that worth all the hassle?
Forget the profits and shareholders.Supermarkets are businesses there to provide a service and make a profit and if a person takes their property they normally take proceedings as far as they can whether its a £2 pack of bacon or a £30 bottle of whisky.

There is rather little indication in what you say..... of any recognition of what people will do out of desperation. Perhaps you are indeed..... all right Jack.
*beaufort avenue*
Since when was Byres Road posh? It was always a nest of reasonably cheap rooms and flats to rent. A good place to stay but it has its share of bums and stiffs and down and outs.

Meanwhile the Fruit Market, sorry Merchant City, is a strange mixture of renewal and mainly old unappealing buildings and streets. Tourist accomodation flats, but certainly not overall pretty or upmarket.

Meanwhile there is no excuse for stealing, especially getting caught !
Isobel
Have you never heard the saying don't judge others until you have walked a mile in their shoes.This is a very sad state of affairs .
I have never stolen a single thing in my life, however I have never been in a situation where my children were hungry.So I am not going to judge.
Yes we all know it"s wrong but ask yourself what would you do if you had starving children.I would do anything for my children as I am sure most on here would be the same.
I know like myself some of us will question the system where folks can buy booze and cigs, go to bingo, but have nothing left for food. Perhaps its time to give stamps for food and deduct this amount from the security cheques many receive. This way the family is going to get fed before the parents take off with the money using it on all the wrong things.
Jupiter
amclpreston,I spent a big part of my working life locking up shoplifters;bacon for some reason was always a favourite and I can say that I never once heard a thief put up the excuse that it was to feed the kids.
I do not believe there is any circumstances where a child should go hungry.Every child is entitled to state benefit and if they are then going hungry the parents are spending the family allowance on something other than what was intended.
Heather
I can't think of any reason to steal, maybe that's because I have never been hungry enough with no food in the house.

When I buy flowers in Morrisons I hang them on the back of the trolley. A few months ago as I was putting the shopping into a taxi I realised the flowers were still on the back of the trolley. I had walked right out the shop without paying for them.
I ran back into the shop to the first check out practically throwing the money for the flowers at the woman on the till. I told the woman what had happened, she just laughed, and there was me in a panic incase I got arrested for stealing. unsure.gif
Jupiter
Heather you were totally innocent,absolutely no guilty intent.Reminds me of an occasion when a young mum had put a packet of disposable nappies in the basket under her pushchair.She paid for her shopping but was stopped by a security guard who wouldnt listen to her and called the police.Female told me that it had been an oversight and that she had no intention of stealing.It was obvious this was the case.I had a word with the security guard but would have been better talking to the wall.
angel
QUOTE (Isobel @ 30th Sep 2011, 04:03pm) *
... I know like myself some of us will question the system where folks can buy booze and cigs, go to bingo, but have nothing left for food. Perhaps its time to give stamps for food and deduct this amount from the security cheques many receive. This way the family is going to get fed before the parents take off with the money using it on all the wrong things.

Isobel , sounds like a plan but they would probably sell those food coupons for half the value. and I think that system of social welfare is used in the States .
*misterglasgow*
As they say in downtown Calton .... " Ham not guilty " ....... it was all a mis'steak' your honour ........ are they still looking for the missing link ..

If they put the Steaks on the top shelve they should be safer ...... cos the resulting punishment if caught ....would render the 'Stakes are too high " boom boom
benny
If it were really a case of people stealing to feed their kids, I wouldn't condemn them, but the likelihood of that being the case is vanishingly small. Contrary to popular opinion, living on state benefits isn't easy for most people, but in 99.9% of cases, the money is enough to eat on. Not luxuriously, no, but with a bit of common sense no-one need go hungry. Porridge, and potatoes, are all still relatively cheap commodities and it's quite possible to survive for a long time on chips, potatoes, porridge, bread and marg, if you have to. There are the odd cases where delays in paying benefits can leave a family high and dry, but, relatively speaking, these are few and far between. Most people have money for basic foodstuffs, but some squander it on other things.
annemackie
I had Five children Never stole a thing , they were fed clothed and most years we got a holiday. (caravan) in September when it was cheap. I saved tins of food( one at a time ) so when we did get away I had not much to buy to feed us and had a bit extra cash for treats. same at Christmas. We lived on potatoes, mince, sausages eggs and beans.Bacon was a luxury. I baked birthday cakes and a weekend cake. Just as well I got used to living in poverty I'm now a pensioner and life isn't any better. I have been married all these years , husband had a very small wage , the result a small pension just a couple of pounds over the poverty level which means No extra help with council tax or top up government help What a Life!
wombat
ah seen plenny o stashes o knocked off stuff as a wean livin in brigton in mid 50s/60s,
ennywan remember wee paper bags o coal? dont know whit they weighed,quarter hundredweight at a guess,the stairhed lavvy wis packed wie thim,also big tins o bully beef(army issue)rerr oan mashed totties so they wurr, cool.gif cartons of imperial leather soap (some of us washt wurrselves) laugh.gif puttin security devices oan bacon what next LMAO
Alex MacPhee
I can remember my mother, having six bairns to feed, making a big pot of "yellow dinner". A great big pot of mashed tatties, with a couple of raw eggs stirred into it to cook with the heat of the tatties, and turn them yellow. A big splodge of that on a plate, and baked beans on top. It could hardly be any simpler, or cheaper, but it was our favourite as weans. Still love it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.