Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Billy Connolly Enter Politics?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
GG
Billy Connolly, the man who famously encouraged people not to vote for politicians "because it only encouraged them", has been touted as a future leader of the unionist campaign to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom. Such a move would mean that the former Govan shipyard worker would front a campaign supporting one of the main Scottish policy objectives of the Tory Party.

The proposal was put forward earlier this month by Tom Harris, Labour MP for Glasgow South. On launching his bid, Mr Harris said that the world-famous comedian was a "100 per cent Scottish hero" and the ideal man to assume leadership of the unionist battle to thwart Alex Salmond's drive for independence.

Although the Glasgow comedian is on the record as speaking out against nationalism, it remains unclear whether he would seriously consider such a high-profile move into politics. Observers are doubtful that the Big Yin would look favourably on Mr Harris's proposal, especially since the comedian is oft-quoted as having said that "the desire to be a politician, should ban you for life for ever being one".

Mr Harris, the former UK transport minister added:
"He would be perfect for all sorts of reasons. There is going to be this referendum but those of us who want to be part of the UK have no organisation and no figurehead. Billy might say no but we need to ask him."

Mr Connolly has yet to comment on the proposal.

Click to view attachment

GG.
tarheels
sorry GG i know nothing about the politics of Scotland or England , maybe i should study more ??
tarheels sad.gif
TeeHeeHee
I too know nothing about politics in Scotland and only being an agnostic forbids me from saying, Thank God for that. rolleyes.gif
But I do know a bit about the Big Yin and although I voted No I'd actually like to see him meeting this Labour MP Tom Harris ... just for a laugh. laugh.gif
Come on, Billy. Show's yer stuff. laugh.gif
Jupiter
Well I suppose the approach to your 70th birthday is as good a time as any to embark on a new career but somehow I wouldnt put money on Connolly branching out.
Yeah why not. The whole system is a joke anyway.
Jupiter
"Yeah why not"
MPs earn approx 68k pa. Connolly probably makes that by riding up and down Route 66 or out talking to the eskimoes,not to mention his sell out shows.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Guest @ 26th Sep 2011, 12:50am) *
Yeah why not. The whole system is a joke anyway.

You tell em Billy. It's a sick joke and no very funny.

A naw from me, just cannea see Billly in a suit an tie telling porky pies and claiming false allowances.
Alex Gray
Sorry, but this does have to be a joke surely. A dysfunctional and obsolete Labour Party asking for hauners from a septogenerium comedium.

How low are these Labour chancers willing to stoop?
buntygal
No not really, much as I love Billy Connolly,I'm not sure he is the voice of Scotland, apart from that great Glasgow accent, I'm not sure that since he doesn't actually now reside in Scotland full time he would fully support this action. Has he even been asked the question....There are lots of very proud Scots all over this world who are Scots to their core but do not want complete independence to the rest of the UK.
Garth Fletcher
I do live in Canada but am a Springburnian--born and grew up there -slightly ahead of Billy. Billy is a great comedian who sees politicians for what they are: a great resourse for humour. Why F it up by taking sides?

Let the people decide.

Fletcher
nome
Billy running for a tory campaign, a shounda think so, the 'BIG YIN hated maggie thatcher with a passion and everythin' else that wiz blue.

A dont think he is in any sence racist or a biggot, but I think he would be mair fur a free Scotland than a joined to some tits Scotland.

It would be interesting as well as nice to see what he would do and sasy.
Noonan McKane
QUOTE (Garth Fletcher @ 26th Sep 2011, 02:55am) *
I do live in Canada but am a Springburnian--born and grew up there -slightly ahead of Billy. Billy is a great comedian who sees politicians for what they are: a great resourse for humour. Why F it up by taking sides?

Let the people decide.

Fletcher

Remember when that lad Ken Bigley, the engineer from Liverpool, was kidnapped and ended up having his head cut off by those hooded lads?

Billy was doing a show during that. He said he was fed up of waiting and wished they'd just get on with it (ie cut the lad's head off and be done with it) and a fella stood up and shouted "That's a man's life you're joking about." Billy told the fella to fu(k off.

Billy's famous and funny and wealthy and all, but possibly a bit light on the diplomacy?

Hey, you're right! That's the perfect politician!

Only jokin', of course. It's always nice to hear citizens of Canada express an opinion on the future of the United Kingdom, too. (I know you used to live here, but you don't now. Like Billy Connolly.)
*dyer169*
He has every right to to run for a political office, thats if he still has UK status. He would fit right in with all the other comidians & would he travel from the USA to take his seat if elected.

The mind BOGGLES.
john1948
I think Billy would be a good politician, because most of them are comedians anyway.
Negotiate Now
No, the man is an entertainer, no more than that. I am always wary of celebrities being drawn into politics. He no longer lives in Scotland anyway.

Irene.
tamhickey
This smacks of desperation. Tom Harris has just made an utter fool of himself with this suggestion, and landed Billy in jobbieland!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Negotiate Now @ 26th Sep 2011, 10:10am) *
No, the man is an entertainer, no more than that. I am always wary of celebrities being drawn into politics.

Irene.

Yeah, Look at Ronald Reagan. rolleyes.gif
GG
Billy speaking in 1998, prior to the opening of the Scottish Parliament:
"I think they should delay the Scottish Parliament by 10 years and let us all just live in the mood. The feeling of euphoria happens in every country about to go through such a change.

Yeah, it's going to be great. Yeah, we're going to be in charge. Tra- la-la. Then they go and spoil it all by doing it.

I wasn't in favour of it anyway. I was a 'no'. I wouldn't be terribly against independence, but I see that place in Edinburgh as a wee Stormont.

And I don't like devolved government."

Looks like he might lack commitment to the cause! huh.gif

GG.
Mathieson
In his heyday, which was quite some time ago now, Billy Connolly was the funniest guy I had ever seen and heard.
I think we should leave it at that.
For any side to seek to use him in their campaign reeks of desperation on their behalf and a confirmation that society is indeed dumbing down when we need a past-his-sell-by-date comedian to help us decide how to vote.
benny
QUOTE (buntygal @ 26th Sep 2011, 03:05am) *
No not really, much as I love Billy Connolly,I'm not sure he is the voice of Scotland, apart from that great Glasgow accent . . .

Glesga accent? Whitver kinda accent it is, it certainly didnae originate in Glesga, and bears nae relation tae any genuine Scottish accent ah've ever come across. Brigadoon, mebbe? Or mebbe Billy served on the Starship "Enterprise" under Scotty?
*misterglasgow*
As a nationalist ..... I think the GG has put the question around the wrong way .I.E . Billy Connolly is a vote loser ... Not many people like him ....what about his statement about the poor guy ' Bigley ' ......urging the terrorists to chop off his head ..... Billy is a liability ..... Soar Alba
droschke7
the last thing Scotland needs is independance, come to that the last thing the UK needs is for all the member countries to have independance because we'll al loose out
bilbo.s
QUOTE (benny @ 26th Sep 2011, 02:43pm) *
Glesga accent? Whitver kinda accent it is, it certainly didnae originate in Glesga, and bears nae relation tae any genuine Scottish accent ah've ever come across. Brigadoon, mebbe? Or mebbe Billy served on the Starship "Enterprise" under Scotty?

Brigadoon, eh ? WeŽll have to ask Ashfield about that, but I think heŽs still in Blackpool . unsure.gif
JAGZ1876
If the unionists can't get the Big Yin on board i hear that Jimmy Krankie's available.
lord anthony
Only if you want a Scottish Banana-republic
wee davy
Now THERES a ticket to die for, if ever there was one!

Billy Connolly's maiden speech in the House of Commons.

How's about Mr Speaker, eventually? or perhaps a Ministerial position - SMMP - Special Minister for Mince Pies?

Go on Billy,... you and Pammy will get free fish suppers for life! biggrin.gif
angel
Go on Billy,... you and Pammy will get free fish suppers for life!

biggrin.gif Hi davy , it could be beans on toast . unsure.gif
*Margitsback*
In my opinion if you dont reside in Scotland full time you have no right to be a politician in this country, in fact you should also be born and bred in Scotland before you are allowed a vote on independence.
Heather
Billy Connolly was born and raised in Scotland. He worked in the Clyde Shipyards as a Welder.

I would certanily not vote for him as an MSP/MP.

Could you imagine him giving a speech, it would be littered with swear words, which is one of the reasons I stopped watching him on TV.

I don't think he would want to be an MSP/MP.
thepaperboy
he would do just tickity boo, he would fit in very well with the rest of the lying two face gits,his pommy missis would tell him what to say she is good at that just read his books,his poor upbringing.my god billy yur no poor when your wearing a suit and tie
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (wee davy @ 26th Sep 2011, 05:04pm) *
How's about Mr Speaker, eventually? biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Can well imagine Mr Speaker.
" Right you lot! Sit oan yer erses an' STF up." laugh.gif
Hank Greenwood
It has to be a slow news day!
Victoria
Why not? I am sure that Billy could do as good a job as the present lot who just seem to be in it for the money nowadays and are happy to take our votes and disappear for four more years to London. Go get em Billy!!!
kenb
QUOTE (Negotiate Now @ 26th Sep 2011, 10:10am) *
No, the man is an entertainer, no more than that. I am always wary of celebrities being drawn into politics. He no longer lives in Scotland anyway.

Irene.

he is a comedian he does not live in scotland he is very rich he has in my opinion lost touch with his roots sounds like scotlands got a new up and coming politician who who moves in the right circles and has a devilish talent for bu--sh---g his way thro tight spots "the big yin for president"oh thats america ahh well leave him there.
cheers rolleyes.gif
Rabbie
I wonder what the hairy wan has to say about this!?
TeeHeeHee
He's just writing out his reply to you as we speak, Rabbie. laugh.gif

http://www.billyconnolly.com/

Vote for me.
Whit y' get
is whit y' see

Click to view attachment
tombro
OMG NO !

We already have enough comedians in politics throughout the world.

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS ME

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif Aye, right. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Scotsman
I think that Billy is a very good comedian and a decent entertainer but whether that would qualify him for a leap into the politics game I do not know. Also I am not sure what age the big chap is but I would have thought that it was not something he would want to do at his age.... surely he wants to sit back and enjoy the benefits of the kind of life his talents have helped him acquire. Stay well away from this one Billy as I think there could be a big banana skin waiting in the wings for someone without experience.
glasgow lass
When Ronald Reagan became the president of America a remember saying tae ma mother is that no the cowboy fae the movies, aye Lass (and rumor has it that we are related to him rolleyes.gif ) can just hear people saying is that no the comedian Billy Connally, a think Billy will be much better off staying where he is and enjoying his great life, dont really think he would want to be bogged down wae politics.But maybe he would!
angel
I don't really know, but if he has half a brain he should stay away from Scottish politcs, However, I do think that he would make a great ambassador, he certainly could do that job.
campsie
QUOTE (GG @ 25th Sep 2011, 09:56pm) *
Billy Connolly, the man who famously encouraged people not to vote for politicians "because it only encouraged them", has been touted as a future leader of the unionist campaign to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom. Such a move would mean that the former Govan shipyard worker would front a campaign supporting one of the main Scottish policy objectives of the Tory Party.

The proposal was put forward earlier this month by Tom Harris, Labour MP for Glasgow South. On launching his bid, Mr Harris said that the world-famous comedian was a "100 per cent Scottish hero" and the ideal man to assume leadership of the unionist battle to thwart Alex Salmond's drive for independence.

Although the Glasgow comedian is on the record as speaking out against nationalism, it remains unclear whether he would seriously consider such a high-profile move into politics. Observers are doubtful that the Big Yin would look favourably on Mr Harris's proposal, especially since the comedian is oft-quoted as having said that "the desire to be a politician, should ban you for life for ever being one".

Mr Harris, the former UK transport minister added:

Mr Connolly has yet to comment on the proposal.

GG.
campsie
I find it inconceivable that Billy Connolly should head any political organisation as he has no experience in such, and further more he has not lived in Scotland for decades so is not in touch with the needs of the Scottish people, just like Sean Connery who often spouts what should be done in Scotland. You earn the right to represent or to be critical if you live in Scotland and not before.
angel
QUOTE (CAMPSIE @ 27th Sep 2011, 04:33pm) *
I find it inconceivable that Billy Connolly should head any political organisation as he has no experience in such, and further more he has not lived in Scotland for decades so is not in touch with the needs of the Scottish people, just like Sean Connery who often spouts what should be done in Scotland. You earn the right to represent or to be critical if you live in Scotland and not before.

Why not email Martin, telling him that his policy of encouraging expats, asking for their comments and votes, upsets you to no end.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (angel @ 27th Sep 2011, 07:01pm) *
Why not email Martin, telling him that his policy of encouraging expats, asking for their comments and votes, upsets you to no end.

Sock it to him/her, baby ! mad.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (CAMPSIE @ 27th Sep 2011, 05:33pm) *
... furthermore (Billy Connolly) has not lived in Scotland for decades so is not in touch with the needs of the Scottish people

I can well imagine that the Big Yin is havin' a good laugh at Tom Harris' idea of ropin' him in as a possible candidate but with reference to the above quote I'm left to wonder if being out of the country for decades is a criterion for not heading a political party in Scotland as those who have stayed at home and head political parties seem to be well out of touch with the needs of the Scottish people anyway.
Tom Harris would be as well askin' me to head his party; I'm the same age as Billy tho' nowhere near as funny. rolleyes.gif
Like Billy, I laugh at Harris and his feeble attempt at trying to fill the needs of the Scottish people with a bigger comedian than himself. tongue.gif
mlconnelly
Although I agree with the majority that Billy shouldn't involve himself in politics, I have to point out to Campsie that unlike Sean Connery, Billy Connolly still has a home here in Scotland that he does spend time in. He may only spend a limited time there but while there he usually entertains his A-list Hollywood friends which in turn is surely good news for the local economy, bring tourist to the area. Mary tongue.gif
Mathieson
QUOTE (angel @ 27th Sep 2011, 05:20pm) *
However, I do think that he would make a great ambassador, he certainly could do that job.

How do you make that out? Any time I hear him mentioning Scotland or the Scots he's running us down!
angel
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 27th Sep 2011, 10:04pm) *
How do you make that out? Any time I hear him mentioning Scotland or the Scots he's running us down!

Because I think he already is an ambassador, he has put body and soul into his career to be sucessful as a comedian and has moved on to other branches of this industry and doing very well as I understand. I believe that if he chose to be an ambassador, he would give that position the very same effort that he has done in his own career in order to be a success in his new venture .

I made my previous post #41 with a "tongue in cheek attitude" and still would hope that, should he be aproached, he would say no .
angel
Although I agree with the majority that Billy shouldn't involve himself in politics, I have to point out to Campsie that unlike Sean Connery, Billy Connolly still has a home here in Scotland that he does spend time in. He may only spend a limited time there but while there he usually entertains his A-list Hollywood friends which in turn is surely good news for the local economy, bring tourist to the area. Mary ...............................

and I might add that this means that he pays a lot in property taxes as do may expats who own homes in Scotland.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.