Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welsh Miners.
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
irrie
Morning all. So sad to hear of the deaths of 4 miners in Wales. A reminder of how dangerous a job these men do. I am sure many in Scotland will be thinking of these men and their families this morning.
Dave Grieve
Have to add my condolences to the families of these men.
Its always been a hard job with the added burden for the wifes of not knowing if their loved ones are coming home every time they walk out the door.
TeeHeeHee
As someone who grew up expecting to go to the pits when I left school, and who with my friends and our older brothers had the Priory Pit on the Clyde as one of our playgrounds as a kid, I can, and do, sympathise fully with these poor men and their families.
Even today I can still conjure up the picture of miners going into the cage; takin' the canary down into the bowels of the earth with them.
That canary was their early warning system. I'll never forget that.
Melody
This is so sad. Such brave men and such a very sad loss for their families.
benny
I watched the BBC's "Reel History" programme a couple of weeks ago - showing old documentary film of Britain's miners. It mentioned one of Britain's worst mining disaster, where over 200 men lost their lives. It seems that this was due to an explosion which happened three quarters of the way into the mens' shifts. It was claimed that the mine owners docked the wages of the dead miners by a quarter for the lost shift time.
It's sad to see that, despite all the modern improvments, tragedies like this can still happen.
GG
It is so very sad to see men die doing their jobs, and a reminder of just how dangerous mining is, especially as commercial factors encourage companies to puruse ever more remote and inaccessible natural resources.

Like others here, my condolences to the families of the men.

Welsh mine tragedy: Coal price 'driving new pits'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14958882

GG.
JAGZ1876
Such a sad story, four men doing their job's, my thoughts go out to their families, i can't imagine what they must be going through at this time. But on reading about this mine it is not what most of us imagine a coal mine to be like, large lift cages going down hundreds of feet underground, these are narrow shafts bored into the sides of hills, where these men have to crawl and work on all fours in shafts no more than two or three feet wide, i'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it. If this had happened in some third world country we would probably have just shaken our heads and thought "we wouldn't put up with those conditions here would we". So i find it astonishing that in the 21st century men are expected to risk their lives in job's like this to make a living, i do not know what the rate of pay is for this work, but whatever it is, in my opinion the deaths of these hard working men make it to high a price too pay.
tamhickey
My heart goes out to all the friends, families and communities affected by this awful tragedy. The working conditions looked appalling Jagz, and I agree that no amount of money will ever be enough for the men who do this dangerous job. It seems there's to be an enquiry into what went wrong and why. I have no idea what conclusions it will reach, but there have been suggestions that perhaps forward drilling didn't take place and this meant that the men were mining blindly into other closed mines filled with water. It doesn't bear thinking about.
My deepest condolences to all involved.
Tommy Kennedy
Very, very sad, tragic. In this day and age no man should have to earn a living underground in such terrible conditions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.