Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow Bands In The 60s
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Songs and Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
hewmac
I remember Alex Harvey around 1960 when he came to our dance hall in Ardrossan regularly. The other regular band at that time from Glasgow was the great Ricky Barnes (all stars?) - at that time the best on the Clyde Coast. You had to be early to get into the dance at the Castle Craigs in Ardrossan in those days.

Alex Harvey was certainly dynamic and we loved his music. I didn't know until recently he went on to become reasonable famous. He was there the night that Gene Vincent appeared and was way better than him cool.gif

Hughie in Oz
My Family Pages
http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmccallum/
Dexter St. Clair
Also roadied for a band (whose name escapes me) and can remember doing a gig somewhere down the left hand side of St Enoch Square (where the St Enoch Centre steps are). And that brings back memories of the Old Eagle, just round the back a bit!!

I remember the club but not its name. It used to be the BEA office . I'm sure I queued there for tickets for The Faces.

Here's a photo but I cannot see your van.

dunc
QUOTE (clbirkett @ 29th Aug 2005, 12:05 AM)
Inner sound were from Greenock/Gourock area... Charlie

Inner Sound were indeed from Greenock. They started playing whilst still at school and even played some school discos at Greenock Academy if my memory is correct. The name is from a strech of water at the Tail of the Bank I think. Digging to the deepest recesses of my memory, I seem to recall Dream Police opening for Marmalade (who used to be Dean Ford and the Gaylords) at a Christmas Eve disco we helped organise at Greenock Town Hall in the late 60's. Marmalade were very big at that time, but Dream Police were at least as good. Matt Irving (ex-Dream Police) is still very active as a session musician for everyone that is anyone, and occasionally pops up live with Los Pacaminos at select venues around the country with his top-class squeeze-box and keyboard playing.
4ppleseed
Hello,

Sorry to drag this thread back up from last year. We found it whilst searching, via Google about the GREAT Scottish bands of the 60s.

My mum lived in Glasgow at the end of the 60s, early 70s and remembers seeing all the great bands mentioned above.

She was wondering if anybody could remember the original members of the Chris McClure Section? And wonders whatever happened to 'Little Tommy'?
Dexter St. Clair
There's a short piece on Chris here with a photo of his band.

Govan Folks
poetsfan
seen the poets on numerous occasions and were probably the best group i ever saw and this includes many that had hit records . is there anyone out there who went to the candlelight club on great western road happy days
Dexter St. Clair
I've got to agree with you on records alone. The Poets sounded great.

Where abouts in Great western Road was the Candlelight club? Did it change its name to something else?
mitchell
Does anyone remember a band called The Mustangs who used to play in a club in Great Western Road in the early 60s? I just can't recall the name of the club at the moment, all I can say it was just round the corner from Burnbank Gardens.
poetsfan
the candlelight club was outside the main gates of the botanic gardens it was a dance school by day there was a cafe next door the buildings burned down in the late sixties .the poets only released six singles with george gallacher as the lead singer though i believe there are tapes with recordings but for legal reasons they cant be released . there is an interview with george gallacher on the net go to google and just put his name up i am sure you will find it interesting
Dexter St. Clair
Thanks Poetsfan. it was Sergeant Pepper's when it burnt down and I think it was the Silver slipper cafe too. It was originally the railway station and part of it survived in the shape of the GCT toilet for bus drivers.

have several Poets singles and a bootleg CD was issued courtesy of Lenny of the Thanes.
poetsfan
when poets left the candlelight the trinkets became the resident group how succesful they were i dont know.i have two cds of poets in your tower plus scotlands no1.ialso have blues poets cd plus video which has george gallacher andfraser watson who were both ex poets.seen most of the groups around glasgow in the sixties the pathfinders beatstalkers dean ford and gaylordsand many more but poets were the best
Springfield
What about the Senate (who inluded Alex "Ludgie" Ligertwood, vocalist with Santana up till a few years ago), and the Riot Squad, whose orginal vocalist was radio personality Tom Ferrie?
Dexter St. Clair
I have the album The Senate sock it to you and alex and Robbie and the rest of the band are on top frm. Did they form in Scotland or did they get together in London.

I did not know that Clyde 2 DJ Tam Ferrie was a member of Sir Percy and The Riot Squad. There were several groups with Riot Squad in the title and one of them made the big time in Italy.

Here's the Senate

Springfield
Thanks for the pic...
The Riot Squad that went to Italy was the same band as "Tam" Ferry sang with - Sir Percy & The Riot Squad - but he'd already left and been replaced by Ian Wright, whose brother Colin was on bass. The drummer was Bob O'Brian and the 2 guitarists Jim Fraser (rhythm) and Big John Thompson (lead).
When the group went back to the UK, Bob stayed on and joined the Casuals.
I was their manager/road manager in that period and came back with them to the UK for a short period, before going back down to Italy to work with the Senate.
I've live almost constantly there since.
Springfield
Though you may already know, the photo of the Senate is pre-Robbie MacIntosh days, with the following people, from left to right - Bill Irving (bass), Brian Johnson[organist - replaced by Mike Fraser), Sol Byron (remember Sol Byron and the Impacts?), unknown, Alex "Ludgie" Ligertwood (lead grt/vocals), Tam Frew[drummer just before Robbie.] and Davie Agnew (Mark David) at the front.
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Springfield @ 4th Sep 2006, 05:28 PM)
Though you may already know, the photo of the Senate is pre-Robbie MacIntosh days, with the following people, from left to right - Bill Irving (bass), Brian Johnson[organist - replaced by Mike Fraser), Sol Byron (remember Sol Byron and the Impacts?), unknown, Alex "Ludgie" Ligertwood (lead grt/vocals), Tam Frew[drummer just before Robbie.] and Davie Agnew (Mark David) at the front.

Thanks Springfield. Excellent stuff.
Springfield
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 4th Sep 2006, 09:48 PM)
Thanks Springfield. Excellent stuff.

Dexter - a quick update.... the "unknown" leering over Alex's shoulder is in fact trumpet player Anthony Rutherford (Tony Mimms).
I've tried attaching a pic of the Senate backing Ben E King at Hamburg's Star Club (Robbie M and Mike Fraser in the photo), but it's my first attempt, so pls bear with me if something goes wrong
Avril
QUOTE (May @ 4th Oct 2004, 12:14 PM)
I remember Chris McClure and the Fireflies, The Pathfinders ( what a dancer Clewsie was) and my favourite group, The Beatstalkers.  I met my husband while hitchin' a lift to Edinburgh. He stopped and gave ma pal and I a lift.  We never made it to the dance. He got lost.  Years later he told me he did it deliberately so that he could take me home and get a date.  37 years later we're still together, but I still hanker after Davie Lennox

Re. 'The Beatstalkers'? They had to run for their lives and escape into the City Chambers one lunchtime in the mid-60's when they were performing a concert in George Square for the workers. Hundreds of screaming lassies broke through onto the stage and mobbed them. I remember that day well because I was one of these lassies! Altogether now....

"We love you Beatstalkers,
Oh yes we do, and where you go-o-o, we'll follow you.
We've been to Barrowland, the Palais too,
Oh Beatstalkers we love you!

Am I the only one who remembers this song that us besotted fans used to sing to them?

I have mentioned 'The Beatstalkers' in my new novel published earlier this year about a young girl born in Possilpark after the second world war. It tells the story of life for her and her family in Glasgow before during and after the war, into the 1960's.

Then there was 'Studio Six', two of the lads in the group were brothers, I can't remember their names but they were Chris McClure's cousins. My friend's family knew their parents. I was chuffed to bits when the lad's dad collected my friend and I and and took us to their house to speak to the lads then we went on to the gig with them at 'The Trocadoro' in Hamilton. We were driven safely home again by their dad. A night to remember for a 17 year old!
big al
sorry - just noticed that I had repeated my first message again
Springfield
Georgia, try taking a look here for some info on Studio Six:
http://www.radiolondon.co.uk/otherwaves/ra...andhistory.html
Isobel
Springfield thanks for that , great reading .Brought back some very fond memories of being a teenager in Glasgow rolleyes.gif
Those were the days eh?
Avril
Brilliant Sprinfield! For 5 minutes I was away back in time and a teen-ager again, thanks for that! I wondered if Colin McClure stayed in Glasgow or is he is London too?
May
I was just reading Georgia's post on the Beatstalkers and laughing and singing the Beatstalkers fan song. I also remember that we used to all sing to the tune of Watermelon Man:

Heh I'm a Beatstalker fan
Heh I'm a Beatstalker fan
Davie, Eddie, Tudge, Ronnie, Alan
Davie, Eddie, Tudge, Ronnie, Alan
Davie Eddie, Tudge, Ronnie, Alan Mair rolleyes.gif
clashman
not strictly a 60s group,but can anybody tell me anything about Gasoline Alley,they played the Howff quite regularly in the early 70s.
Linky
A bit of trivia when I played with the House of Lords I acquired a beautiful '59 American Fender Precision Bass that used to be owned by Sir Percy and the Riot Squad....still got it and worth a few bob
jrmroxx
Hi I used to play in a 80s rock band called RED ELLIS (claim to fame HAHA) but does any one remember Henry Gorman Band , the dolphins, the haemorrhoids non compos mentos, cannes all of us played the dial inn and the burns howf etc. Can anyone shed some light on the boys from alloa called chaser 3 piece band bass and drummer were twins did rush covers most excellently? cheers jrm cool.gif
lexi
Beggars Opera were from Clarkston are as I recall. They did gigs in Coupar Institute. They actually got me interested in Classical music.

Alex Harvey first came to light when he won some kind of talent contest. I don`t think this band has been mentioned although they are early 70s...........Tear Gas. This Band plus Alex harvey are what became........The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Dream Police I remember vaguely as I do The Beatstalkers......both slightly before my teenage years. I do remember a really good pub band......Cochise.

Although not Scottish. Does anyone remember how big Graham Bond was at that time?

Alex
deejbee
Beggars Opera - small world: found a Beggars Opera LP in a record shop in Exeter last week!

Graham Bond - do remember him & his band, and saw them at the Maryland circa 1970.
Linky
If it hasn't been posted already check out this site www.rockingscots.co.uk they are all there Stoics,Beggars Opera,Pathfinders and much more.......aye we were all that age once upon a time biggrin.gif
thefergie2@comcast.net
QUOTE (jasminkeenan @ 10th Oct 2004, 09:34 PM) *
Kemlo & Frank M,
The Dream police were my real favourites, I used to rin their fan club, along with that of a band called the Jaygars, headed by Jack & Jimmy Mc Culloch, fom cumbernauld, Jimmy went on to be lead singer with Thunderclap Newman, who had a hit with "something in the air". Jimmy then went on to play with Paul Mc Cartney and wings, sadly he died of a drug overdose.
A Dream Police guitarist, Hamish Stewart went on to play with "Wings" for many years.
Sadly Ian Clews, from the Pathinders is now dead, I remember the last song they always played.it was "please stay" but I cannot remember the original singers.
Anybody else remember Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey he was the boyfriend of Maggie Bell, from Stone the crows.

Try .......www.rockingscots.co.uk

I don’t know how the rumor started that Ian Clews is dead. He is very much alive living and working on a horse ranch in California.(his first love is horses) My name is Fergie, I worked for many bands from Glasgow. The Sabers. Meridians, Pathfinders, Stoics. Marmalade. Hung out at the Empire Bar most afternoons. If anyone remembers me please let me know.
Guest BLACKY *
msg to linky, who were the other members of the house of lords
Linky
Blacky, at the time I left them to go work in London in'67/68 band consisted of :

Myself on Bass G
Rab Munro - Vocals
Alan McKinnon - Drums
Neil ?? - Sax
Alistair Reid - Key boards
Rab Findlay - Lead Guitar

I was replaced by Allan Fullager and the rest of the band were replaced by members of the Trinkets?? ,Alan Pratt ex 3's a Crowd I think joined.
Rab Munro ended up in a couple of other bands ...Hate & Ruby. havn't seen him for years

cheers
Dexter St. Clair
I met Dr. Alan McKinnon a couple of months back at a gig in McChuills in the High street. His son Ian sings and plays guitar with Dresden and I thought they were pretty good.

Dresden
Joannas DJ
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 9th Apr 2005, 08:43 AM) *
Thanks for that. There's been a wee bit of discussion where ballrooms were and I think before everything is demolished we should pin down where the clubs were. The Scene Club was where in relation to the Bay Horse pub which was the bit of West Nile Street recently demolished?

Where was La Cave? Midland Street?

I was in the Sub Club on Thursday night at 18 Jamaica Street seeing a sixties styled R&B band the Boogaloo Invetsigators. And i was talking to the club manager about the similarities of his basement club to places where groups played in the sixties. He had been informed that the club was on the site of the old Jamaica Inn. I'm thinking that was in the seventies. Can anyone tell me what was on that side of Jmaica street. Further south towards the Bridge was McSorley's then the Australian consulate than a department store.

Hi. It was the House Of Fraser shop that took up the rest of block down to the traffic lights.
Glasgowgirl
I love this site! There we were, a bunch of giggly schoolgirls in the 60's, on holiday with the old folks in Millport and the band playing at the Garrison was The Poets. Ian MacMillan...my first adolescent crush. Back in Glasgow there was no stopping us. The Candlelight Club...The Trinkets...Ian Campbell...my second adolescent crush. The Maryland, The Elizabethan, the Electric Garden (where we saw Them, a dead scruffy band with a singer called Van Morrison!) and many more.

We're now a bunch of giggly 'middle aged girls' scattered far and wide but we all agree that 60's Glasgow and the bands of that time were the best. Thanks for the trip!
gardenqueen
Hi, Glasgowgirl. I remember so well the bands I saw at The Garden. Such happy, carefree days, wish I could revisit them. Mind you, I did keep a diary......... biggrin.gif

GQ
penny dainty
Glasgow girl , I was probably dancin right next to you in the Garrison
Glasgowgirl
Hi GQ and Penny, would we recognise each other now? Of course we would, we couldn't possibly have changed much in all this time!
Re. The Empire Bar. Before going to school one morning I had to sit a piano exam in a place just across the road from the Empire. I had on my school uniform (and none of the Pan Stik that made me look older) but because it was so early I thought there was no chance that any of the 'Poser Musicians' would see me. Three hours later out I came and bumped into the singer of the *****. I was so mortified I couldn't even look at him. Then he asked me out. I just ran away!
penny dainty
Of course we would recognise each other I was the one with the hair in bunches and red ribbons . still look just the same today, just nearly 50 and dont have red ribbons or bunches any more. biggrin.gif
Linky
Couln't see any post on this a George Gallagher (Poets) interview

http://www.richieunterberger.com/gallacher.html
aaron king
QUOTE (Linky @ 12th Apr 2007, 01:13 PM) *
Blacky, at the time I left them to go work in London in'67/68 band consisted of :

Myself on Bass G
Rab Munro - Vocals
Alan McKinnon - Drums
Neil ?? - Sax
Alistair Reid - Key boards
Rab Findlay - Lead Guitar

I was replaced by Allan Fullager and the rest of the band were replaced by members of the Trinkets?? ,Alan Pratt ex 3's a Crowd I think joined.
Rab Munro ended up in a couple of other bands ...Hate & Ruby. havn't seen him for years

cheers

hi linky
i worked with alan fullager in his pub called the LAB about 2yrs ago,he used to tell us tales about his playing days,we thought he was taking the p,,,,.but now you verified it.i dont know where he is now ,i heard he may have went back to oz.he was a good guy ,he played a good air guitar when he was recalling his old days,he also mentioned candy floss,
Cliff Hanley
QUOTE (FrankM @ 12th Jan 2005, 08:15 AM) *
I wasn't a big fan of Beggars Opera but my friends were. My girlfriend's pal went out with Ricky Gardner. This would be 1970/71. Was Tiger at the Electric Gardens then? The first time I saw Tiger was at Clouds up above The Green's Playhouse . I'm sure he was in a Frog's suit. And I mean a green costume not a wet suit as worn by a frogman.

You had to get in the Burn's Howff early (6:30) if you wanted a seat to see the band. I rember seeing trays of pint beer glasses 2/3rds full sitting on the bar which they topped up jsut before the waitresses carried them over to your table. Another aquaintance of mine Cliff Hanley jr or Clifford as he was known to his writer dad, painted the illustrations at the Howff. Young Cliff (we were all young then) also played in bands one called the Motels or the Models or something.

Hey, nice of you to mention the Motels, Frank. It seems like it was on another planet now. In fact I designed the entire enterior of the new red and green Howff, something I'd maybe wanted to do since primary school when our teacher bellowed "Red and green should never be seen!" - Cliff
George Gallacher
QUOTE (poetsfan @ 9th Jul 2006, 02:01 PM) *
seen the poets on numerous occasions and were probably the best group i ever saw and this includes many that had hit records . is there anyone out there who went to the candlelight club on great western road happy days

thanks--- still play the Scotia Bar ---the candlelight club was something special ---never knew how so many were packed into such a small space---original tardis---george gallacher
clashman
anyone remember pram or gasoline alley?
poetsfan@hotmail.com
QUOTE (George Gallacher @ 15th Jul 2007, 08:53 PM) *
thanks--- still play the Scotia Bar ---the candlelight club was something special ---never knew how so many were packed into such a small space---original tardis---george gallacher

great to hear from george gallacher can he let me know when he is playing scotia bar as i would love to hear him again
george gallacher
QUOTE (poetsfan@hotmail.com @ 7th Aug 2007, 06:11 PM) *
great to hear from george gallacher can he let me know when he is playing scotia bar as i would love to hear him again

I'm at the scotia bar saturday 18th august 9.30 start --- playing a mixture of dylan, blues, folk, country with some guys who can play a bit ---no old poets stuff on the menu ---george gallacher
Barry
George Gallacher,
I thought that you were going to deliver a copy of your Poets CD to the top floor

Regard Barry
moshihus
QUOTE (george gallacher @ 9th Aug 2007, 09:00 PM) *
I'm at the scotia bar saturday 18th august 9.30 start --- playing a mixture of dylan, blues, folk, country with some guys who can play a bit ---no old poets stuff on the menu ---george gallacher

George,
Are you playing solo (nearly asked"with yourself" sorry!) or do you still play with Fraser Watson?
Haven't seen Fraser for nearly 30 years now and just wondered if he's still about.
Thanks
Fraser 2
Lion
Hi FrankM - know this is not from the 60s but you appear to be very knowledgeable - this is a song from 1983 by Phil Everly - the lyrics are - Without you I know I'll never ever dream again - Dream dream again - the dreams we dreamed the first time - dream again the dreams that made you mine. Please do not tell me it is the Everly Brothers singing Dream - know it is not. Hope you can help me here - has been a 20 year quest.
mazpinkmusic
message to Lion...
Phil Everly
TRACKS:

She Means Nothing To Me (with Cliff Richard) - God Bless Older Ladies

Sweet Pretender - Never Gonna Dream Again - I'll Mend Your Broken Heart

(with Cliff Richard) - Better Than Now - A Woman And A Man - Louise - When

I'm Dead And Gone - Sweet Suzanne - Oh Baby Oh (You're The Star)

Only added to an UK release in 1987: Who's Gonna Keep Me Warm - One Way Love
Hope this helps
Maz :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.