Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short of cash?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Rab-oldname
So, the US of A is running out of funds? Is this not a total waste of $1.1Bn?

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/spacecraft-li...f-for-jupiter-2
Rabbie
Its solar powered, apparently... unsure.gif
TeeHeeHee
The reason they installed three little Lego figures was to keep down on the weight ... a saving of a few million $$s on it's own, Rab. tongue.gif
Crewsy Fixer
Some folk say that the latest Global Financial crisis is just another stepping stone to a Global currency.
TeeHeeHee
We'll have that in a few years when China becomes Numero Uno on the Global Market Place ... or Numma Wan as they say. tongue.gif
Rabbie
Ahsoo, Gwasshopper!

Confusus say that honarable warrior who lives by the sword dies from multiple gunshot wounds, ahsoo.

Ye ken, the way the petrol are going up thro the roof we will be peddling aroond in rickshaws afore the decade is oot and noshing rice and chow mein until it pops oot or lug holes, no that is a bad thing if ye skip the exercise bit, would have to engage a flunky to peddle me back and fur it to the pub.

Ah think I might just take a wee holiday on yon cheap pocket rocket, the options look much brighter oot there, a 5 year niggie to Jupiter. Must be doing the round robin roon the back of the sun a couple of times to get a decent wheechle outward bound. So much for solar power, seen the price of them solar panels ye stick on yer roof... gezzus.
tamhickey
The Chinese could make the U.S. economy collapse tomorrow if they were to trade in their bonds. America has huge debts to the Chinese but it wouldn't be in their economic interests to allow this to happen, as this would mean the fall of the west and exports and imports would soon make China an economic basket case, just the same as the rest. Make no mistake, China hold the strings in a global sense. I wonder how much they punted into America's space exploration program?
I can see vast imports of rice becoming the norm within the next year or two alongside bamboo shoots.
On point, it does seem an extravagance to put this thing into space, but on the other hand, space exploration has contributed to all of our daily lives in ways we don't always understand. I won't list them as there are so many,
Who knows what may yet be discovered?
Rabbie
Indeed Tam if it was not for space programs I doubt we would be as technologically advanced, a lot of good has come of it but a price in terms of human life and finance. Ye get nowt for nowt.

Deep space exploration should now be a multinational concern which it is becoming. I doubt if any one nation could afford to send folks on a jolly to Mars or beyond at present.

Yanks hitching rocket rides from the Auld Enemy, who would have thought that even 20 years ago weel who would have thought the wall would have tumbled.

Humans are capable of so much good, hopefully that good will prevail afore we blow oursselves to buggery or a wee sneaky asteroid beats us to it

It’s only a matter of time... and the clock is counting down.
Rab-oldname
Yes, but is it not a waste of money?? Who the hell cares about the origin of Jupiter anyway? (Please leave our Joop out of this!)
TeeHeeHee
2000 years ago a Jewish carpenter was responsible for turning the world upside down.
In another 2000 years people will look back and say a wee Jewish scientist turned the world upside down.
Money well spent, they'll say. wink.gif
wee davy
QUOTE (Rab @ 6th Aug 2011, 08:02pm) *
Yes, but is it not a waste of money?? Who the hell cares about the origin of Jupiter anyway? (Please leave our Joop out of this!)

Awe.... kin we no talk aboot Joop, instead? Ah hink he's frae anither planet awe the gither LOL laugh.gif
Rabbie
Na. I dont think advancing science via space exploration is a waste of money.

It ain't cheap but ye get nowt for nowt.

The space program has brought us many useful techno advances, disposable nappies!

Just a shame that politicains and PC <dilligaf> personages don't always put them to good use and stick them over thier hieds.
glasgow lass
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 6th Aug 2011, 02:13am) *
We'll have that in a few years when China becomes Numero Uno on the Global Market Place ... or Numma Wan as they say. tongue.gif

Hilarious Hamilton laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.