Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sell your kidney ?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Melody
Legalise sale of human kidneys, expert urges

MONEY: Dr Sue Rabbitt Roff wants to pay kidney donors.
3 Aug 2011
PEOPLE should be allowed to sell their kidneys for 28,000 in an NHS-regulated organ market, a Scots researcher has said.

In an article published online today by the British Medical Journal, Dr Sue Rabbitt Roff, of Dundee University, called on the health service to offer financial rewards to individuals willing to give up a kidney as a means of speeding up the rate of transplants and reducing the cost of treatments and dialysis to the NHS.
TeeHeeHee
28,000GBP! ... I might try that.
I wanted to sell my soul a while back ... but there were no takers. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Jupiter
I wonder how much they will retail at,supply and fit?
benny
Ah think this doc is suggestin the sale of organs fur purely personal reasons. She must be lookin furra brain.
zascot
Ah kidney be bothered.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 3rd Aug 2011, 10:49am) *
I wonder how much they will retail at,supply and fit?

BARGAIN.
http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/worthing/music-...n-can-YI126N5FC
Rab-oldname
Dr Sue Rabbitt Roff? You got to be kiddin!!
angel
QUOTE (Melody @ 3rd Aug 2011, 07:52am) *
Legalise sale of human kidneys, expert urges

MONEY: Dr Sue Rabbitt Roff wants to pay kidney donors.
3 Aug 2011
PEOPLE should be allowed to sell their kidneys for 28,000 in an NHS-regulated organ market, a Scots researcher has said.

In an article published online today by the British Medical Journal, Dr Sue Rabbitt Roff, of Dundee University, called on the health service to offer financial rewards to individuals willing to give up a kidney as a means of speeding up the rate of transplants and reducing the cost of treatments and dialysis to the NHS.

I personally do not see anything wrong with this idea,
if we can get our minds away from the reasons why , some would sell there kidney and think more about the health of the recipient ,then why is it a bad idea.
Human organs are already sold from third world countries to so called first world on the black market , making this only available to wealthy
recipiants and if the sale of kidneys is done under a medically regulated system ,then so many other sick people would benefit.
The important thing here is to help people get well , no matter the donor's reason for selling in the first place .
angel

ooooooooooooooooooops..............................recipients smile.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Aug 2011, 10:45am) *
28,000GBP! ... I might try that.
I wanted to sell my soul a while back ... but there were no takers. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Aye, you would have a devil of a job doing that rolleyes.gif
Heather
When I read that article in the newspaper today I was amazed that any Doctor could make such a statement.

She also said that students could sell a kidney to pay off their University fees. wub.gif

Given the high cost of University fees in England, I wonder how many students will actually consider doing as she said thinking it's a quick way out of debt.
Being young and healthy at the moment does not guarantee not having kidney trouble in the future and if you only have one kidney, then you really are in big trouble and now your the one looking for a kidney donor.

With the state the NHS is in, how can it afford to pay 28,000 to every kidney donor. Now you really are looking at Private Health Insurance and only the wealthy can afford that.
bilbo.s
Quite agree.
Melody
Me too, I find it completely shocking.
proudmaryhiller
My dear Aunt had to have a kidney removed many years ago and the one remaining is now borderline. This is the most ridiculous and dangerous thing I have ever heard of.

That's very true Heather those young uns will be old one day.
Isobel
I don't agree with anyone receiving money for their organs.What I would like to see is everyone being a donor unless they carried a card saying they are NOT.

When you talk to people they tell you they would not mind giving up their organs,however they don't take the time to get on the list.

How that would change if it were as I suggested.

stratson
I too am appalled by this statement! However methinks it will never happen on the N.H.S.

A RE THEY NOT ALREADY MAKING CUTBACKS ON EXPENDITURE? wacko.gif
proudmaryhiller
That's very true Isobel, I've said to my Aunt you can have one of mine if anything was to happen I'd gladly donate, I suppose that goes for most families and I think it's a great thing to have a Donor Card I'm very much for that.

Yes they are Stratson.
wee davy
Isobel
I'm not 100% sure - but I think a private members bill is soon likely to be presented to Westminster in the course of current UK government business
Isobel
Oh that's something then,a step in the right direction. I wish something would be done here.
Heather
I don't carry a donor card, it's one of those things I'm always going to do but never get around to it.

When my time is up, then the Doctors are welcome to take any part my my body worth taking to give to someone else.
When we are dead then the body is of no use to us but parts of it may be of use to someone else.

The thing is, the older we get the more worn out the body gets no matter how well we look after ourselves or how much cod liver oil and malt our parents poured into us when we were young. I liked the malt but not the cod liver oil
In our family we were all glad when our dad brought home cod liver oil capsules they were easier to swallow with no bitter taste.
angel
Well it seems to me that only the wealthy can afford having transplants
done by using the blackmarket and jumping the queue .
28 ,000 pounds paid to a healthy donor is much cheaper in the year to the health system ,than paying the cost of treatment during that sick persons life time.
As for all these young people rushing to get this little windfall , I
somehow just don't think it would be that easy .
As for having enough donor cards signed ,people would have to be forced to do this, and at this time that is against the law .
If I was in the unfortunate position of having a loved one dying of kidney disease and could afford to do so , I would gladly pay the cost of a transplant , I would not let him / her or child die , no matter who the donor.

mlconnelly
There is a new system in place where you opt out rather than opt in to organ donation but it only comes into play if you have just newly passed a driving test. Personally, I think it makes more sense for people to opt out rather than in because as Heather says, it something you always mean to do but never seem to get round to. I have been a card carrying organ donor for many years and have made sure all my family are aware of my wishes should anything happen to me. Mary smile.gif
wombat
dry.gif no a dude on his second liver ,worked in a winery,hes in his late 40s and hes gien his noo liver laldy,wis amazed at his physical transformation when he got the donor liver,didny matter tho booze and the taxman won "again"
Isobel
MLConnelly,You got it right .
this is what I was trying to get over on my last post #15 I think it was.

Mega City Key Holder

Member No.: 33

I don't agree with anyone receiving money for their organs.What I would like to see is everyone being a donor unless they carried a card saying they are NOT.
Heather
Opting out rather that in makes sense to me because as I previously said, when your dead your body parts are no more use to you but may be of use to someone else and maybe save a few lives.

Your stirring my conscience here Mary, so I must see about getting that donors card.
angel

If you are 16 years of age or older and have a valid Ontario Health Number, you can register your consent online to become an organ and tissue donor. By registering your consent, information about your donation decision will be available and accessible should it ever be required.

You need to register even if you signed a donor card. A signed donor card is not recorded in the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s database and may not be available when needed. Organ and tissue donor registration is the only secure and guaranteed way to make your decision to save lives known.

It is probably the same in the UK .

zascot
If your nearly dead and the surgeons need an organ????????
TeeHeeHee
They can have my organs but the scrap metal must be sold and the money given to Mary. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
mlconnelly
Nice 1 THH laugh.gif . Just remember Heather, to let all your family know what your wishes are as it should make for easier decisions should the need arise. Mary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.