Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GG
Academic researchers from King's College London (KCL) have concluded that the Glasgow accent is one of the stupidest sounding accents in the UK. The researchers say that they have identified an "untainted snobbery" where owners of a Glaswegian accent are wrongly judged to be less capable because of their accents.

The findings indicate an enduring class prejudice where speakers with a 'posh' accent consistently look down on Glaswegians, rating people with a Glasgow accent lowest for traits like intelligence, competence, confidence and leadership.

Dr Julia Snell, a sociolinguistics lecturer, who led the latest research, said:
"While everyone judges people according to their speech these perceptions were usually based on social prejudices. What we find is that when people evaluate how we are speaking these are social, rather than linguistic, judgements."

The KCL academics also found similar negative associations with the Birmigham accent.

Click to view attachment

GG.
Glasgow Girl
Never heard anything so ridiculous and I've never had a negative response to my Glaswegian accent. ohmy.gif
benny
The problem is that there's nae such thing as "a Glasgow accent", really. There are Glasgow accents, rangin all the way frae panloaf Kelvinside tae gutter Govan, wi numerous shades in between. (Sorry, Govanites, nae offence intended. Jist a bitta alliteration. biggrin.gif )

Some Glesga accents approximate merr tae Standard English than others, so it's quite possible that some are greater objects of prejudice than others.
Glasgow Girl
I'm a born and bred Govanite myself benny smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Aug 2011, 10:44pm) *
The KCL academics also found similar negative associations with the Birmigham accent.

GG.

I voted yes ... but the only instance was in fact in Brumijum. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
*elaine24*
My husband, an edcuated highly experienced airline Captain, was told by his Chief Pilot that his Glagow accent may come accross as aggressive on the PA! (public address tannoy)
farci
I'll see your Glesca accent and raise you a Brummie, GG. Selective quoting of the research may make for a bit fun but is hardly fair - or should that be 'ferr'?

The good Dr Snell also had a go at RP - or old-fashioned BBC - accents and was making a serious point about different accents being increasingly judged as right or wrong rather than just different.

It's only a few years ago that call centre operators sold the idea of Glasgow as a location based on research that
43 percent of respondents judged speakers of (Scottish) accents as likely to be successful; 40 percent found them hardworking and reliable
while trashing Scousers and Cockneys.

Those call centres came here and Glaswegians proved that they could talk clearly when it mattered. Just smile at the prejudices which probably result from knowledge of wir superior life style and kulchur biggrin.gif
wee don
As ex radio operator with Royal Artillery I was always the chosen op because of the accent as most of the English accents were too varied.

regards Wee Don.
grannymo
If you have what it takes to win and get on in life, you will do it no matter the accent. Look at Duncan Bannatyne or Anita Manning - never off the telly.

PS seen this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12398366
Marje
During my working years as a PA/Secretary in New Zealand I found that my Glasgow accent was an open door to interesting conversations with all kinds of people from all walks of life. All loved the accent (except one Chinese client who complained that I didn't speak English). Most people wanted to talk of their Scottish ancestors, relatives-in-law, time spent there working, or touring Scotland during their UK trips. One of my colleagues said that she (as a Kiwi) never had such interesting conversations!
jimmyd
I voted yes , but wish to point out , that the only people to "have a go " in a serious manner have been English.. others may take the proverbial, in a fun way.. I have found my accent to be an asset ,here in Oz. I have worked in many areas , and apart from one factory job , all have been involved with people . Most will say the love the accent .
TeeHeeHee
I mentioned before on the boards here that I worked with a German guy in Hannover airport who picked out my Glasgow (not Scottish) accent when I was conversing in German with him.
He had worked at Glasgow airport for 12 years and said he'd have recognised the accent even if I'd been speakin' Chinese wi' him.
He loved the accent and had no bother understanding it at all.
Robert Stewart
I work from home, mainly Internet but also often on the phone. I'm 'real Glesga'. Some people in the US told me I sounded like a 'film star' - I wondered what they were on but they seemed sincere. A Quebec/French woman said she could listen to my voice all day - don't know why. I try to be honest, sincere and straightforward and it has worked for me.
At other times the 'Glesga growl' has stopped a Lot of people from trying their luck with me, so it does come in handy. Only twice has someone pretended they didn't understand me so I said two wurrds to them - then I said 'how did you manage to understand that?!'
An Arab heard my voice one time, rushed over and started calling me 'Jimmy!', seems he had enjoyed working wi' Glesga guys.
Toronto is full of all nationalities and years ago they all seemed to understand. Nowadays with the young ones working and the Scots dying off (and not coming here or being let in) some of them just don't have a clue about what I'm saying.
It's my voice and I'm keeping it, I couldn't change it anyway. I sometimes have difficulty understanding the folk on Coronation Street and hate the edjimicated wallies who talk on TV about the 'next king of England' - if so, then let it be, the queen is a phony, there never has been a Queen Elizabeth I of Britain.
klingon
I got the flipside of my Glasgow accent when I was fired from a bar job in Canada as they reckoned my Glasgow accent was to aggressive and scared the punters!-
*George Brown*
Having seen and heard the effluent examples of typical life and language of London as portrayed in ''Eastenders''
enough said
Hank Green
Although I have been away from Glasgow for many years I have never been encumbered with a typical Glasgow accent. I grew up in Whitecraigs but I attended University in/and played and frequented Glasgow venues and I do agree that there are accents in certain areas of the city which I have never found easy to understand. I have had first hand experience of prejudice when one of my friends at University had dificulty having his job applications accepted because he came from Gorbals and once my father had agreed to allow him to use our home address on his CV he soon found himself in demand. On a visit home from Canada along with my daughter she confessed that listening to some of the accents among sales clerks in Glasgow's stores left her wondering if it was really the English language she was listening to.
Robert Stewart
>Scottish
Scots were found to have the most reassuring accents in Britain, in a recent survey. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution made the discovery in a poll asking which accent people found most soothing in emergencies, although the research did not delve into the numerous regional varieties of the Scottish tongue.

Check out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...-about-you.html

jamcat
I have had one or two comments from people saying they don't fully understand what i say, but when i worked in a call centre i was talking to people from all over the U.K. plus many other countries and was often told that they loved my accent.
jamcat
QUOTE (Robert Stewart @ 2nd Aug 2011, 01:51am) *
>Scottish
Scots were found to have the most reassuring accents in Britain, in a recent survey. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution made the discovery in a poll asking which accent people found most soothing in emergencies, although the research did not delve into the numerous regional varieties of the Scottish tongue.

Check out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...-about-you.html

I totally agree there Robert as many people especially those not from the UK love the Scottish accent.
d.barber
Normally "speaking" I've no problems with accent. Most other people who have commented have said they like my accent.And on a few occasios I have been told I have a "nice"voice when on the phone. However When I was In the army I had my Corporal cook go to to some length to get me transferred.He was succesfull. Then there was a running battle I had with my Regimental Sergeant Major. I Once incorrectly carried out his cooking instructions and excused myself by saying I "misunderstood" him, he had a fit and went into a tirade about him speaking "The Queen's bloody English". This led to a month of severe retribution (another longer story)until he was stupid enough to berate and villify me in front of someone whom he thought was a "friend"I reported him to the Company Commander and the "friend" offered to be my witnes. He was transferred through all of that I was a lowly Private. By the way the "loveliest" accent I ever heard was a felow cook from Buckie, Fife. He was also a great Accordion player.
Dee Bee
Helen Chalmers
QUOTE (Glasgow Girl @ 1st Aug 2011, 11:42pm) *
I'm a born and bred Govanite myself benny smile.gif

Helen Chalmers
Many years ago I applied for a job as an Air Hostess by American Airlines, and was in no uncertain terms told they could not hire me because of my accent... That was in 1965... but I believe things have changed... most people like it... but I am often mistaken for Irish...
Betty Bryant
I've lived in Australia for 38yrs and it's amazing the people who say i've got a lovely accent and love to listen to me speak,although i must say some people ask me if i'm German.
Maybe it's not the accent that is the problem sometime people just don't listen properly,i am proud of my accent and will never lose it.
i hope i've done this ok as this is the first time i've tried.
Pat Mcgettigan
QUOTE (jimmyd @ 2nd Aug 2011, 12:36am) *
I voted yes , but wish to point out , that the only people to "have a go " in a serious manner have been English.. others may take the proverbial, in a fun way.. I have found my accent to be an asset ,here in Oz. I have worked in many areas , and apart from one factory job , all have been involved with people . Most will say the love the accent .

I agree it is the English only and I live in England now and my son is English I wiil never change my accent for no one I am proud to come from Glasgow.
wiznayme
I voted yes only because of my radio voice, seems it is a wee bit too aggressive to some of our more sensitive cousins south of the border, fortunately not so with the ladies though.
Dave Grieve
Went to England on business 5 or 6 years ago, and when being collected at Birmingham airport by the company I was visiting was told that they were expecting a South African, but not to worry as the Scots accent is a lot more acceptable nowadays.
I was there for 2 weeks and could pick up the ones that were anti Scots.
Never experienced that in SA.
greta
I have to say being from Glasgow, theres nothing wrang wae a Glasgow accent. And the beauty of t is you can recognize it anywhere.
tartanlassie
I voted yes because many years ago in a greengrocers in Manchester the very rude assistant passed me on to her colleague and in a loud voice said ... " oh its one of yours you serve her " . But I must say in 40 years of living in England I have never come across this behaviour again. biggrin.gif
zascot
When I first came to S.A. in 71 a few people found it hard to understand me because I spoke so fast, you automatically slow down then it`s no problem. In 72 four of us were sent to Canada on business and the first night in the restuarant my SA mate joked with the waitress " If you don`t understand him(me) I`ll translate he`s from Glasgow". She said" Awright Jimmy am fae there masel maybe he kin translate fir you".He still tells the story.
GG
Thanks for great comments and wonderful stories on the Glasgow accent!

Here's another one, from the Big Yin:

GG.
brookbond
Is she takin ra piss?
GG
Not withstanding Billy's humorous intervention, personally, I would have to agree with the research findings that a broad Glasgow accent (as Benny says, there is more than one Glasgow accent) sometimes does lead to prejudice and snobbery.

GG.
drew1952
These guys only put this drivvle out to see the 'kinda reaction they get, and, as usual they've provoked comment, I live in Brum been here 40 odd years and, it cannot be helped I now talk in both 'kin accents, how do you think I get on LOL. Billy Connolly by the way talks in a scottish accent because in his own words "he has great difficulty doing any other accent"
irrie
Morning all. When my wife Marlyn and i were in London i thought it was strange that most people understood my Glasgow accent and recognised it but they thought Marlyns Ayrshire accent was French : dry.gif Cheers
ashfield
I guess I have two versions of speaking, one is "Glesga" and the other "Glasgow", but my accent remains the same. On one occasion during my working life, I was speaking to a teenager in my normal "Glesga". He accused me of putting it on to try and fit in with the company ohmy.gif I felt really insulted laugh.gif

On another occasion I was waiting to be served in a small bar in Jersey and overheard the conversation between the lone barman and customer. The customer asked how he coped with all the different accents he came across, the barman said it was easy as he was so used to them all now. My turn, I asked for a couple of pints of lager and the barman said............sorry??? laugh.gif
Margaret Mary
I have never had any problems with my Glasgow Accent, most people love it!
flashton
I have lived south of the border for more than 30 years now, so have had to modify both my accent and speed to be understood, but people still ask if I am Irish!

However, the most difficult time was when I was working in Aberdeen and used to visit an elderly lady from the countryside. Once we got past "fit like" & "nae bad" we might as well have been talking Greek- neither of us could understand a word the other said.

When I was living in Portugal and speaking Portugese people thought I was French.

That Tower of Babel sure has a lot to answer for.
wee davy
First of all - welcome to so many new 'china's on this thread biggrin.gif I counted about 4/5.

In my 24 yr tenure as one of HM Queen Elizabeth's loyal servicemen, my accent in the early days, sometimes worked against me - as our reputations go before us, I'm afraid.

If anything, as I got older (and maybe wiser?), I found it bizzarely seemed to help me, in my day to day liasons/communications.
The less gutteral, and more smooth 'Glesga' becomes - the more seductive and fascinating it tends to makes us! LOL speaking for myself of course laugh.gif
Melody
Aw don't get me started. See the English they want to learn to listen. mad.gif We listen intently to the many, many English accents and try to tune in order not to insult anyone. On the telephone I've often been aware of the snobbery of the English, it's almost possible to visualise the looking down of the nose at you. Anyone can put on a posh accent, it's easy. Linguistics is the skill in being able to adjust your accent in order to connect with someone. There's nothing funnier than hearing a Glaswegian putting on a posh accent. There is in reality no such thing. Telt ye ye'd get me started. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (d.barber @ 2nd Aug 2011, 06:07am) *
... By the way the "loveliest" accent I ever heard was a felow cook from Buckie, Fife. He was also a great Accordion player.
Dee Bee

Buckie, Fife ? unsure.gif
bilbo.s
I think people on here are confusing accent with dialect. huh.gif
Negotiate Now
Not being Glaswegian I like the accent but find it difficult to understand when people speak really fast. Billy Connolly and Lorraine Kelly have come a long way and there's Lulu who changes her accent all the time from Glaswegian to American.
Irene
norrie123
My wife and I were on a cruise, passengers were mostly American and Canadians, we had a conversation with one man and he said can we hang on till his wife arrived, they loved our accent
I have heard English accents that you could cut with a knife, we dont make a song and dance about it, we just get on with it
Funny how some Scottish programmes on TV have had subtitles placed on them, when being broadcast nationwide but we dont need sub titles for anything from England

Bye for now, norrie
gamlenils
I lived in London for 15 years and found that in my working life clients tended to trust me more than my english colleagues.
Hank Green
In the late 1960's, Gordon Donaldson a Broadcast Journalist with the CBC (Canada) was removed from a TV spot reporting on the Moon Launch (and eventual landing) because of complaints from listeners that it was difficult to understand his gutteral Glasgow accent. Most Glaswegians make Moon sound like MOOOON. True story! I understand that Donaldson was from Shawlands!
tombro
I love the Glasgow accent and I wish I still had mine !

Tombro wub.gif
Mister Glasgow
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Aug 2011, 10:44pm) *
Academic researchers from King's College London (KCL) have concluded that the Glasgow accent is one of the stupidest sounding accents in the UK. The researchers say that they have identified an "untainted snobbery" where owners of a Glaswegian accent are wrongly judged to be less capable because of their accents. ...

Have a wee look at some of the videos on 'misterglasgow' and 'glasgowtelevision' on you tube.
bilbo.s
I must have a very strange accent. On meeting me, some new acquaintances know immediately that I am Glaswegian, while others do not have a clue and do not believe me when I enlighten them.
jake keith
I was called a foreign B a few times when they heard me speaking and yet my accent is not at all strong. Yet the inbred idiots that called me this had such an idiotic accent it made others laugh when they heard them calling me a foreigner. I am proud to be from Glasgow Scotland and I have as I ssaid not a strong accent, but you can tell I am Scottish. I actually get a lot of compliments too from many people as they said I speak with clarity and excellent pronunciation of the words without any need to repeat myself in a conversation with all the people I meet and that includes my recent trips to the USA and also Thailand and the Philippines. I will say one thing though, I have met a lot of real ENGLISH people that need to repeat their sentences to whoever they are talking with and I did eventually translate on their behalf. Jake.
Mister Glasgow

This young lady from Salt Lake City likes our accent .........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.