Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Womens World Cup Soccer
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
angel

What a game, brazil was winning in extra time but at the last
minute the USA scored and then it was penalty shots...
USA won , so that 's them in the semi finals against France.
This game the American team played most of the time with
10 players . once again a great game biggrin.gif

Glasgow Girl
Would appear so angel, I was just reading about it.
Crewsy Fixer
Crewsy has watched the Womens World Cup on TV, bbc 2 and eurosport. Even when its women the inglish commentators still get carried away. Yesterday England were within 5 minutes of the semi final yet still managed to lose a late equaliser and then get beat on penalties.

Its just like the mens football.

My money's on France.

Edit, just in case you think Im at the madam I am watching the Womens US Open Golf Championship on Sky Sports 1, 2 Yanks are in the lead followed by 4 Japs. Play is suspended due to lightening.
angel
Edit, just in case you think Im at the madam I am watching the Womens US Open Golf Championship on Sky Sports 1, 2 Yanks are in the lead followed by 4 Japs. Play is suspended due to lighteni
....... I don't know why you would think , "about the madam bit " unsure.gif anyway I think from what I hear ,you are probably right about France , although I did think that Brazil would take this game,
but I must say that I was Happy with the final result .
Isobel
Angel it was a really exciting game. What did you think of the goal that was scored then a replay was given .I think that was awful.However credit to the Us team they never gave up and it sure paid off for them.
angel
QUOTE (Isobel @ 10th Jul 2011, 10:59pm) *
Angel it was a really exciting game. What did you think of the goal that was scored then a replay was given .I think that was awful.However credit to the Us team they never gave up and it sure paid off for them.

I think it should never have been allowed Isobel , but I thought that the refs. did play a very tight game and that U.S.
team just kept battling on right to the end
despite having only ten players, they deserved the win...... The game was more like a Marathon , it's any wonder nobody collapsed smile.gif
andypisces
I have watched a lot of the womens world cup soccer and it has all been thrilling and honest. The women have not got into all the pushing and shoving at corner kicks. neither have they got into the falling down when someone breezes past them. An odd one perhaps abut generally played in grrrrrrreat spirit by the women. Better than watching a bunch of petty millionaires trying to con us. Look forward to the remaining games.
TeeHeeHee
Good of you to open this Topic, Angel. I'm a fervent viewer of women's international football because 1) as you probabably have read here somewhere my younger sister played for Scotland in the first ever Scotland v England Ladies International at Bellevue Manchester and 2) I love big burdz tongue.gif
I was sorry to see England go out on penalties but equally, or more so, sorry to see Germany go out (0:1 after 108 minutes) against Japan and hoped till the last 30 seconds that Germany would equalize (right then was when Mary's mum came in shouting ... she thinks I'm deaf ... about a problem with her printer, so I missed the last nail biting 30 seconds rolleyes.gif
The teams do play their hearts out and I really think it's about time they were getting more attention ... but that might come in time.
Nice to see all the cars again driving through the streets here with the German flags fixed to the windows. The girls certainly get the support that they deserve over here.
I must ask my sister; now 64, what ever happened to the team that she and her mates took to Manchester. Did the idea eventually taper off? Did Scotland put up a team for the 2011 qualifications at all?
Canada in 2015 Angel ... got you all excited, eh? biggrin.gif

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/liveyou...aign/index.html
angel
Hi Tomi , thanks for your reply , but I'm thinking that it's about time
you got those women in your life ,under control sad.gif tell Mary's mother to fix
her own printer. laugh.gif
I am really suprised about the contributions from the members on this topic, I thought it would be a dead horse.
so I thank yourself . / Andy , Isobel ,Crewsy and Glasgow Girl. ,
it's great to read about soccer , minus religion .
andypisces
Angel always had a soft spot for womens soccer. I had the first womens team in ottawa and we played in montreal about 120 miles from ottawa for two years till we got enough teams to form a league in ottawa. That would be about thirty years ago and of course womens soccer has just skyrocketed. I had coached mens and kids and womens soccer was so refreshing with their attitude to each other. It was just wonderful
angel
hello Andy , I have never been involved with womens soccer only mens , we did'nt have a daughter ,but our sons played when they were old
enough to do so and of course , Ice hockey , but now I have a grandaughter who plays soccer , she is a nice little player , and also two
nieces and they enjoy the game very much and over the years the popularity of the womans soccer has been phenominal and it can only get better , " so you guys had better be on your toes " biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cheers.

tombro
Watched Australia versus Sweden last night, hoping for an Aussie win !

Not to be, but I reckon the goal that Ellyse Perry (a dual representative in both football and cricket at the age of twenty) scored for the Aussies is one of the best ever scored by any Aussie in a World Cup Game.

We've only got a young team, including a sixteen year old, so watch out for the Matildas in 2015.

By the way, we're coached by a Scotsman in Tom Sirmani. Don't know his background but, at least, he's giving the youngsters a go. That's a very unusual thing in Aussie Sport !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

(Glasgow born and living in Oz, so not too proud to support the Aussies when the Scots don't qualify !)
angel

Well Tombro , there is always 2015 here in Canada , you just never know , EH
what to expect . biggrin.gif
I support Scotland no matter what the competiton ,as long as they are not playing against Canada. biggrin.gif
jimmyd
I was gutted for the Aussie girls , they try so hard and yes Tombro that goal was a ripper I was watching a docco about the team , and was amused to hear their team song , it is a variation of the Celtic song.. I wonder if the coach had anything to do with that. I really enjoy watching the women play , my daughter has represented North Queensland , and also played and managed the Australian Army , women's team.. The US team have been brilliant this past decade .
hubert
I watched most of this game although at the time Brazil got their second goal I had to go oot.
With the US team down to 10 players, almost said men there, LoL, I said to my wife thats it then the US are oot Brazil are through.
During the game I was annoyed with the ref and the assistant ref mainly because of the Brazil penalty that Solo saved yet had to be retaken, I thought like most they had said Solo had came off her line just before the penalty kick was taken which is encroachment, found oot later it was a US player that came into the box just as the kick was taken therefor encroachment on that players fault.
When I came back a couple of hours later my said the US did it, I looked her and said what do you mean, the rest is history.
That cross from Megan Rapinoe was terrific it was her left foot and she is a natural right footed player oot on the left.
She came on as a sub in the second half and I noticed although a few mistakes on and off the ball that her dead ball deliveries were top notch, so I dub her the US womens David Beckam.
What a terrific equalizer by the tall USA player to make it 2-2.
Back in the 70s I coached youth teams and a womens team in an organized league, and can tell you many were new to the game, but what effort and enthusiasm they applied it was something!
hubert
Sorry for going off topic, but my reference to Beckham and Rapinoe, brings to mind that Beckham crossed a great ball for Donevan to head home, and then scored one from a corner kick on the left side, his kicking delivery is still class, that was yesterday or the day before.
The LA Galaxy play Real Madrid on the 16th July 7pm at the LA Coliseum.
ashfield
I remember playing in a 5-a-side tournament about 20 years ago and one of the teams had woman who was a Scottish international in their side. There were a few smirks from several of the guys (not me, honest rolleyes.gif ) until she rattled in a hat trick in her first match. We all gave her the respect she deserved after that, although she did complain a little about the robust challenges inflicted on her.

The history of woman's football is interesting, back in the 1920s woman's teams were getting gates of 50,000 people for matches in England. The FA apparently put the kibosh on it by warning member clubs not to encourage the sport or let woman's teams use their stadia. Just wonder where it could be now.
angel

The history of woman's football is interesting, back in the 1920s woman's teams were getting gates of 50,000 people for matches in England. The FA apparently put the kibosh on it by warning member clubs not to encourage the sport or let woman's teams use their stadia. Just wonder where it could be now.

You know Ash , I never knew this , but how could it have been any other way, It really was a man's world and to a point still is, " I am not in the least bit surprised . cheers

ashfield
Angel, I read about it somewhere, back in the mists of time smile.gif I'm pretty sure the women's teams were formed by munition workers during the war. As you say, it is hardly surprising that it was stiffled by men at the time, but outrageous nevertheless.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (angel @ 10th Jul 2011, 11:58pm) *
I don't know why you would think , "about the madam bit " unsure.gif anyway I think from what I hear ,you are probably right about France , although I did think that Brazil would take this game,
but I must say that I was Happy with the final result .

Its because I mostly post on GG after a few haufs, but still want youz to know Im paying attention and contributing to a great Glasgow site.

BTW mad.gif Its football not soccer. your too long away angel.
angel

Just as a matter of interest Crewsy !

Brandon 20:31:10 Saturday 17 July 2004
Where does the word 'Soccer" come from and why is it used instead of football?
The word "soccer" comes from the original name of the game "Association Football" or more precisely from its abbreviation Assoc. Assoc. was a slang term used in UK universities from about 1889. It later became socca, socker (1891) and finally evolved into soccer (1895).

The Football Association was founded in London in October 1863 by eleven clubs/schools. The Association agreed upon a standard set of rules prohibiting use of the hands or carrying the ball. The clubs which opposed this rule eventually broke away conceiving their own version of the game - rugby.

At that time, Rugger meant "rugby rules" football while soccer meant "association rules" football. by Expert 23:13:53 Sunday 18 July 2004
If you need more Info. Crewsy , just Google .
angel
QUOTE (hubert @ 11th Jul 2011, 06:21pm) *
Sorry for going off topic, but my reference to Beckham and Rapinoe, brings to mind that Beckham crossed a great ball for Donevan to head home, and then scored one from a corner kick on the left side, his kicking delivery is still class, that was yesterday or the day before.
The LA Galaxy play Real Madrid on the 16th July 7pm at the LA Coliseum.

Hi Hubert , Let us know, the result of that soccer game. Cheers .
angel
QUOTE (andypisces @ 11th Jul 2011, 01:29am) *
Angel always had a soft spot for womens soccer. I had the first womens team in ottawa and we played in montreal about 120 miles from ottawa for two years till we got enough teams to form a league in ottawa. That would be about thirty years ago and of course womens soccer has just skyrocketed. I had coached mens and kids and womens soccer was so refreshing with their attitude to each other. It was just wonderful

Hi Andy that was quite a trip from Ottawa to Montreal for a game of soccer every week , fantastic .
Just a wee thought here , do you remember when we signed our kids
in to play soccer for the first time , we affectionally called it , the Banana League . Just wondering ! biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (angel @ 12th Jul 2011, 02:59am) *
Hi Andy that was quite a trip from Ottawa to Montreal for a game of soccer every week , fantastic .
Just a wee thought here , do you remember when we signed our kids
up to play soccer for the first time , we affectionally called it , the Banana League . Just wondering ! biggrin.gif

ooooooops .... we affectionately called it the " Banana League "
do you remember this ? or was that just in our region , cheers
tombro
Reference to LA Galaxy and David Beckham in a topic about Women's Football !

My suspicions about both the team and the player have finally been confirmed !

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif
Crewsy Fixer
Angel, were gauny faw oot, its football, I dont care what the dictionaries say.

Its football, whether man or woman.
angel
Angel, were gauny faw oot, its football, I dont care what the dictionaries say.

Its football, whether man or woman .........

well you make up your own mind Crewsy , because I'll be watching the soccer tomorrow,
tamhickey
There's a brilliant Scottish player called Julie Fleeting who has scored a remarkable amount of goals for Her team, Arsenal Ladies and for Scotland. It seems though, that the fitba for women is most prized down south where there are many millions of pounds to be used, whereas in Scotland it's unaffordable. Sad, but true.
hubert
Halftime USA 1 France 0.
The USA are a strong solid team, but in this game France are playing the better fitba, many more shots on goal too.
Isobel
Well they did it ,I thought this was a great game.Not sure how they will do if they have to play Sweden.
Jim and I are just getting ready to watch Japan against Sweden.Don't know which one of these two I want to win.So may the best team win.
TeeHeeHee
Well done USA. wink.gif
angel
although , I thought France the better team for most of the game ,
they could not put that ball in the net.
U.S.3 --- France, 1 love it wub.gif
Crewsy Fixer
My moneys on the US,

sorry to any US fans.
hubert
Yes the USA are in the final yet over all to me France were the better team, in fact the first half was fairly even, but in the second half from the start till the USA went ahead 2-1 and finally 3-1, they were terrible, they could hardly string two passes together.
Although I wanted the States to win, I felt sorry for France, and their poor goalie, she aint too good I`m afraid!
Japan 3-1 over Sweden didnt see the game, just the end of it.
My wife said the Japan team are very fast, very nippy, I said of course they will be, because they are Nipponese! biggrin.gif
Sorry about that folks! LoL
bilbo.s
My moneys on the US,

sorry to any US fans

Eh?? unsure.gif
angel
I'v just watched the Sweden , Japan game ,
now I'm worried, unsure.gif biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Having watched the Japanese in a few games now I must say they have a really good keeper ... as well as an excellent team. wink.gif
angel
Hi Tomi , I think today that the Japanese ran all over Sweden. sad.gif
they, ie the Japanese had so many shots on goal and still could'nt score
but if they get that right by Sunday then the U.S. is in for a really tuff
game, but the U.S. does have a better goal keeper in Solo. smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
Solo is really good, I'll give you that.
Be an interesting game which I'm lookin' forward too ... now that I've got over Germany being sent home; or sent up the road at least. tongue.gif laugh.gif
Chrissie
USA - USA biggrin.gif

Glad Japan got some good news after the terrible year they had. Still I'm rooting for the good old US. wink.gif
Elma
Have not watched the games but have heard the final scores. Am hoping for a Japan win.... smile.gif
andypisces
I feel that japan just may do it. I will be cheering for the USA though
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Chrissie @ 14th Jul 2011, 04:01am) *
USA - USA

Glad Japan got some good news after the terrible year they had.

Still I'm rooting for the good old US. wink.gif

Nice sentiment Chrissie.
Tae even it up I'll go Banzai fur the wee yins. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 14th Jul 2011, 05:04am) *
Nice sentiment Chrissie.
Tae even it up I'll go Banzai fur the wee yins. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Konnichiwa Tomi, better watch that you don't trip over your Komono lol , Dewa Mata biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Wee (syon)arra people. tongue.gif laugh.gif
tombro
S'funny !

Since the Matildas got knocked out by Sweden we haven't heard a word about the Women's World Cup here in Oz.

I think the Aussies have got the tom tits ?

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif
angel

don't feel bad Tombro, Canada got kicked out of the tounament ,I think by France and did'nt qualify

but I do think the least Australia could do , is televise the final game
between the U.S. and Japan .
hubert
Halftime USA 0 Japan 0.
Poor football, both teams are dire, the USA have had quite a number of shots but few on target.
Hope the second haslf is better.
JohnTRobertson
QUOTE (hubert @ 17th Jul 2011, 09:43pm) *
Halftime USA 0 Japan 0.
Poor football, both teams are dire, the USA have had quite a number of shots but few on target.
Hope the second haslf is better.

you do understand that it is women's fitbaw you are watching?

rolleyes.gif
angel

hubert I think the U.S should have been ahead 2goals in the first half,
I can't deal with this extra time sad.gif

how did L.A. do against- -- Real Madrid ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.