Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Team GB
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
wee davy
Why, oh why, oh bliddy why?

Click to view attachment

When there has been firm assurances from FIFA that no sovreignty issues will arise, should players from Scotland, NI and Wales compete in the GB team - I simply cannot believe the Home Nations can be so narrow minded and insensitive to the opportunities it could present to young players from ALL parts of the UK.

Although I cannot speak for NI - having served the other two associations, I am hardly surprised at the intransigence of their positions. How pathetic, they cling to their parochial rights - when at least one - maybe two players, might just make a name for themselves!

Sorry - but I think they're an arogant bunch of erses

davy
and before you start - I've heard ALL the arguments - THERE IS NO THREAT - perceived or otherwise
bilbo.s
That´s that then. rolleyes.gif
GG
A wee bit of background to this:
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have reacted with fury to an announcement that an agreement had been reached for all home nations players to represent Team GB at the London 2012 Olympics.

The British Olympic Association (BOA) announced it had struck an "historic agreement" for Scottish, Welsh, Northern Ireland and English players to be picked for London 2012.

The announcement by the BOA was made with the knowledge of the English Football Association but came as a shock to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FAs.

It means young players such as Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey of Wales, Northern Ireland's Jonny Evans and Scotland's Barry Bannan could play in a Great Britain shirt next year. It also affects selection for the women's team.

But that has not gone down well with the Scots, Welsh and Irish, who issued a strongly-worded statement signed by SFA chief executive Stewart Regan, FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford and IFA chief executive Patrick Nelson.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12017_6999761,00.html

The statement:
"The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the British Olympic Association today.

"We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association.

"We have stressed this in communications to them and are disappointed that this has been ignored in the media release. No discussions took place with any of us, far less historic agreement been reached, prior to the statement from the BOA being released.

"The Associations are committed to supporting the individual Home Nations playing all representative football under their respective flags as independent members of Fifa and Uefa. This position has been endorsed by supporters of all Home Nations, who have been consulted throughout this process."

I've not been following this, however, I would not be surprised if, beyond the obvious politics of sport, there are national political implications and self-interests in play?

See also:

SFA is totally against British Olympic football side
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/SFA-is-...tish.6788512.jp

GG.
Mathieson
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st Jun 2011, 09:30pm) *
That's that then. rolleyes.gif

Exactly. Why on earth go to the bother of starting a thread on a potentially controversial and current topic and then discourage any further comment? rolleyes.gif
Ratty
Well, Wee Davy, there is another simpler solution to this problem

According to a representative survey carried out on behalf of C-ScOT, 78% of Scots support the idea of Scotland having its own team by the London Olympics in 2012.

There’s still plenty of time to get the Scottish Olympic team up and running.

“A number of non-sovereign nations send teams to the Olympics including Puerto Rico and Hong Kong, and Scotland is notable in having a number of national teams in other sporting arenas”.
(Quote from Wiki)

What exactly is the problem with Scotland having its own Olympic team?
And who do you think is blocking this simple request?

http://www.c-scot.org/index.html
wee davy
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 21st Jun 2011, 09:29pm) *
Exactly. Why on earth go to the bother of starting a thread on a potentially controversial and current topic and then discourage any further comment?

Fair cop bruv - society's tae blame! laugh.gif
I realised that IMMEDIATELY I had ADDED IT, mattie! lol
I think my main point is I can't believe the negativity from the Home Nations 'Alliance'. Things clearly haven't changed much from my day.
irrie
Morning all.After what has been going on at FIFA. I dont think i would be too quick to trust any assurances from them. Cheers
bilbo.s
Don't get the "inverted snobbery" bit. unsure.gif
Dunvegan
Won't take long before like all else it becomes a Great England team with the colonies being squeezed to the sidelines. Or is this an attempt to gain a medal that might be lost to one of the home dependancies.
wee davy
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd Jun 2011, 08:38am) *
Don't get the "inverted snobbery" bit. unsure.gif

You'd have to be familiar with the workings of ALL the FA's bilbo - to FULLY understand what I refer to. EVERY FA (including the English FA) are guilty of 'it'.
It's a kind of 'we know whats best for the/our game' sort of attitude - particularly when is comes to issues where they ought to be getting their heids the gither.
The English (being the biggest) have always been like it with their dealings with FIFA - its as if they all need to assert their testosterone levels. Similarly, the SFA and WFA do the same with the FA. It's all down to politics, and it used to drive me bliddy mad.

It may be worth noting, that those who are successful in high ranking tournaments, tend not to have these complications. I'm thinking most recently of SPAIN of course.
ashfield
I watched discussion about this some time ago, Pat Nevin was speaking against a joint team. He spoke of several contacts he had within FIFA, including the late David Will (ex vice president), and he said they all warned him about the campaign within the organisation to have a unified GB international team. Other FAs resent the voting power of the 4 national associations. I believe what he said, I do not trust any assurances given by Blatter and I remain against a unified team.
wee davy
Do you not think it a shame, that because of this lack of trust, many young 'home' players who might've graced the olympic 'stage', will be denied the opportunity to demonstrate their skills around the world?

PS I would not buy a car off Blatter either btw but the assertion that coming together to form a GB team is somehow a threat to voting rights, is flawed.

Its like saying 'if you allow players to play in a one off game/tournament, in skins, you will lose your FIFA voting rights. Totally preposterous. (I'm sure a person might be able to put me straight on this one, however lol)
ashfield
Perhaps you are right about players being denied an opportunity Davy but I doubt there are many Scottish player who would be considered anyway. Also, as other have mentioned, I am not convinced that football should included in the olympics.
hubert
If there was a poll on this I would not vote as I am not a British subject or citizen, however if Scotland can enter all other sports and events as a separate country in the olympics it would seem strange and odd that a given individual sport all be it a team sport should be allowed or enter as a different entity or form in its make up?
Not sure if I am wording or explaining this properly!
bilbo.s
Great Britain is the country represented at Olympic events - not the constituent nations separately.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (ashfield @ 22nd Jun 2011, 10:33am) *
Perhaps you are right about players being denied an opportunity Davy but I doubt there are many Scottish player who would be considered anyway. Also, as other have mentioned, I am not convinced that football should included in the olympics.

Faster Higher Stronger. These can be in a football game, but I think the Olympian ethos means that competition is purely on the individual to be faster higher stronger rather than a team.
wee davy
Olympic Charter

Article 6: The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events

That takes care of that then, Crewsy wink.gif
hubert
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 28th Jun 2011, 08:27pm) *
Great Britain is the country represented at Olympic events - not the constituent nations separately.

Well in that case there is no discussion needed, the fitba team will be GB! LoL
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (wee davy @ 28th Jun 2011, 08:45pm) *
Olympic Charter

Article 6: The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events

That takes care of that then, Crewsy wink.gif

GB team it is then.

I am an olympic fundamentalist. Individual v Individual. best man or woman wins. Teams Huh.
GG
Scots are rushing to snap up Team GB Olympic football shirts - despite fears the team could lead to the scrapping of our national team.

The blue Adidas jersey, which shows a Union flag, coat of arms and lion's head in its design, went on sale on Thursday.

Incredibly, the 52 top is the secondfastest seller behind the new Scotland kit, according to the country's biggest independent replica shirt retailer ...

I wonder why? Also:
... It is likely that most of the Team GB squad will be made up of English players. But while associations in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have stated their opposition, they will not stop anyone who is called up to the squad from playing. ...

Full story here:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-23558539/

TOP 10 STRIPS: Greaves' Bestsellers
  • Scotland jersey
  • Team GB jersey
  • Manchester City
  • Barcelona
  • AC Milan
  • Real Madrid
  • Manchester United
  • Chelsea
  • Partick Thistle
  • Valencia
GG.
bilbo.s
People who pay 52 quid , for what is basically a t-shirt, need locking up. mad.gif
wee davy
Partick Thistle - LOL Dae ye no get PAID 52 quid fer wearin' wan ai them??? laugh.gif
irrie
QUOTE (wee davy @ 13th Nov 2011, 03:38pm) *
Partick Thistle - LOL Dae ye no get PAID 52 quid fer wearin' wan ai them??? laugh.gif

Och wee davy Heres me thinking ye were a gentleman. Jist shows how wrang ye kin be. tongue.gif
odeonclubboy
one wonders in this list where rangers and celtic appear?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wee davy @ 13th Nov 2011, 03:38pm) *

No we don't Davie, we wear them with pride, anyway it's only 35 for a Thistle top, it's the England..... oop's i mean the GB strip that's 52.
bilbo.s
ONLY 35 quid ? What a bargain ! Is it sewn wi´gold thread? unsure.gif
Mathieson
Full story here:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-23558539/

I think that's a really nice shirt, not that I have the intention of buying one (or the figure to wear one laugh.gif )

International fitba has had it's day in my opinion. When Leveine is joining this charade of bringing in guys from England and elsewhere just because their great-granny enjoyed a bit of shortbread and a nip now and again it just gets ridiculous. I also have no time for the suits at various associations as they are all in it for their own best interests and to hang with the wishes of individual clubs and their fans.
GG
QUOTE (odeonclubboy @ 13th Nov 2011, 05:30pm) *
one wonders in this list where rangers and celtic appear?

I was wondering about that too, odeonclubboy. I'll try and find out why neither of the big Glasgow clubs appear on the list.

In the meantime, I found the following graphis relating to world slaes of replica shirts.

Click to view attachment

GG>
JAGZ1876
In a good year the Old firm would expect to sell between 150,000 - 200.000 shirts.
wee davy
Aye - and two million aff the back ai a lorry, taiwan, or frae somewheres' in the Far East! Apart frae Man U, they're probably the most copied. Especially the 'tic one, as it has green in, which is the hotter countries fav colour smile.gif
bilbo.s
Are you sure where the "genuine" articles are manufactured ? rolleyes.gif
wee davy
Same place lol laugh.gif
Mathieson
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 14th Nov 2011, 09:18am) *
In a good year the Old firm would expect to sell between 150,000 - 200.000 shirts.

As neither are enjoying a particularly good year for one reason or another I'd estimate joint sales of about 437 laugh.gif
ashfield
So, after all the huffing and puffing, the number of Scots picked for team GB is none rolleyes.gif Like we're all surprised laugh.gif
Mathieson
Hardly surprising when officials from the SFA and various tranny army "spokespersons" showed nothing but prejudice and hostility to any Scots that showed even the slightest interest in team GB.
Mind you, even old Becks never got a look in despite all the hoo-hah.

Still, it's the GB team and I will be supporting them. thumbup.gif
tombro
As it is supposed to be a GB team, can someone please list for me the players chosen and their country of origin.

I accept that, as the EPL believe they are the greatest club league in the world, they might correctly lay claim to at least providing half of the squad but I doubt whether players in the lower English leagues would have more claim to consideration over players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland !

From what I can see, the team chosen is a homage to the over-inflated opinion that the EPL seem to have of themselves and in no way represents Great Britain !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif
Jim D
Team GB

Jack Butland (Birmingham)
Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)
Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea)
Steven Caulker (Tottenham)
Craig Dawson (West Brom)
Micah Richards (Manchester City) - over-age player
Neil Taylor (Swansea)
James Tomkins (West Ham)
Joe Allen (Swansea)
Tom Cleverley (Manchester United)
Jack Cork (Southampton)
Ryan Giggs (Manchester United) - Over-age player
Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)
Danny Rose (Tottenham)
Scott Sinclair (Swansea)
Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) - over-age player
Marvin Sordell (Bolton)
Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

There were no Scottish or Northern Irish players selected.
Mathieson
Where is the stipulation that a GB olympic team must have representatives from all constiutuent countries of the UK?
When was the last time Scottish or Northern Irish guys featured in the 4 x 100 relay team?
Who was the last Scottish or Northern Irish guy in the rowing teams?
What about the times that the GB curling team has been so successfully represented by a team made up entirely of Scots?
I think some people are getting their drawers in a twist just for the sake of it.
It seems that the very people who moan about Scots participating in the GB fitba team are tha same ones who moan when they are not in the team. yes.gif
Jim D
I agree, the Team GB football team should be the BEST of the under 23 players. I could not think of any SPL young player who I could honestly say should be in that team. People like Stephen Fletcher, now playing in England, put himself forward but was unsuccessful.
wee davy
I am astonished Jordan Rhodes, Huddersfield (aged 21, and a lad with a VERY bright future ahead of him) ) isn't on that list.
Surely it can ONLY be he didn't WANT to be there?
If it was because of the SFA directive, then WELL DONE the numpties at the SFA! (yet again)

THREE players from SWANSEA?????? Why?

Sorry Stuart Pearce - I don't think much to your selection progress, and I think you've picked to many from 'senior' fooball, just because they play in the top flight - NOT a good reason imo.

I still wish them well - but Pearce COULD have done better.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 3rd Jul 2012, 11:41am) *
Where is the stipulation that a GB olympic team must have representatives from all constiutuent countries of the UK?
When was the last time Scottish or Northern Irish guys featured in the 4 x 100 relay team?
Who was the last Scottish or Northern Irish guy in the rowing teams?
What about the times that the GB curling team has been so successfully represented by a team made up entirely of Scots?
I think some people are getting their drawers in a twist just for the sake of it.
It seems that the very people who moan about Scots participating in the GB fitba team are tha same ones who moan when they are not in the team. yes.gif

Who cares if no Scots are involved Mathie, at least we can console ourselves knowing we've paid more than our fair share towards the five ring circus at the expense of our own sports and good causes.

When it comes to putting our hand in our pockets to help others less fortunate we're gold medal winners.
Mathieson
Er, have you been following the thread? You seem to have ignored the fact that a few on here do actually appear to care that no Scots are involved. wink.gif

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
angel
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 3rd Jul 2012, 07:07pm) *
Er, have you been following the thread? You seem to have ignored the fact that a few on here do actually appear to care that no Scots are involved. wink.gif

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

I have always understood that the athletes
must qualify to be part of the Olympic team
not matter which country they will represent .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.