Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teacher's Main Role Is Not To Teach
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
GG
Have the lunatics taken over the asylum at Cosla?

Teachers have been told that their "primary responsibility above all others" is the wellbeing of children, rather than teaching.

The comments by the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (Cosla) have been met with disbelief and anger by parents' groups and teachers, with one union leader saying they defied description.

In the convention's submission to the McCormac Review into teaching pay and conditions, the authors wrote: "Teachers are part of the children's services workforce. Their terms and conditions need to stress that a teacher's primary responsibility above all others is the wellbeing of children within their care, and they have a duty to work in a collegiate way."

Jim Docherty, depute general secretary of the Scottish Secondary Teachers' Association (SSTA), branded the remarks "stupid". ...

Full story here:
http://news.scotsman.com/education/Teacher...t-to.6787389.jp

GG.
Dunvegan
That's why they are entering high school with the reading ability of third world children from Equatorial Africa. The mellifluous rendering of educational theory being put into practise by those with little ability and being imbued by the Paraclete of political correctness, renders it the malaise of modern education in English speaking countries.
Quote to myself from a recalcitrant student;
"You are trying to teach me Japanese and I cant even write English"
I discovered subsequently he was not lying. His welfare was never in question, but I did see a case for suing the school from whence he came.
The poorest of the poor primary schools in Scotland turned out a populace literate and numerate, once second to none.
wee davy
With some notable exceptions, Dunvegan.
At least thats how I remember it lol

Anyway - doesn't one beget the other?

How come it took your student to have to tell you? Seems SOMETHING had failed him/she?
Dunvegan
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th Jun 2011, 07:02pm) *
With some notable exceptions, Dunvegan.
At least thats how I remember it lol

Anyway - doesn't one beget the other?

How come it took your student to have to tell you? Seems SOMETHING had failed him/she?

The politically correct system whereby due to a shortage of teachers inept and having low ability and no commitment to the profession or the students, were inducted into the education system usually in poor and lower income stream school districts. They, due to teacher union intervention could never be called into account for their obvious inability to educate to the minimum degree required of children to successfuly complete primary school. And dont get me started on what happened to them in high school!!!!
Jupiter
I went to primary and secondary schools in Glasgow in the 50s/60s and although its now a long time ago Im pretty sure everyone attained a good level of ability in the three Rs.There was discipline in the schools and the teacher was the boss.
Where and when did it all all go wrong?
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Jun 2011, 01:03am) *
I went to primary and secondary schools in Glasgow in the 50s/60s and although its now a long time ago Im pretty sure everyone attained a good level of ability in the three Rs.There was discipline in the schools and the teacher was the boss.

When the inept and unable banded together to organize the political defense of their obvious ineptitude.
Elma
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 21st Jun 2011, 03:03pm) *

When the unions became involved and the teachers stopped being professional and became "workers."
angel
I happen to think that the teaching profession is every bit as important
or maybe even more so than the medical profession,
Therefore , I believe that young teaching students should specialize
on the particular subject on which they excel , ie, from primary school and onward to higher education. and at the same time earn a living that is
equal to their abilities as does the medical profession ," in most cases." dry.gif
I recall my mother saying to me many years ago when my children
were in school "that she was very happy not being a young mother anymore , because , the stress from todays society was more than she could handle and no doubt the same applies today for both teacher and student and It's about time that those who run our education systems
make a better job of it ,after all , our futures lie's in the hands of our young people.
we all of us get what we pay for. !

Dunvegan
Like it was said in the above posts; "the loonies are in charge of the asylum" The 'Profession " of school teaching has given way to the social engineers and the politically correct dysfunctionals who command the agenda to keep their jobs secure. Japan, which has the worlds highest standard of literacy has ongoing monitoring of teachers work ethics and standards. They are paid well and are most highly respected in their communities more so than most other professions. In Australia and I suppose in Britain now, teachers are regarded as a necessary inconvenience. Except that is in the high end private schools.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.