Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3d Telly
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
ashfield
I am of the opinion that 3D telly and films are nothing more than a gimmick to sell us more stuff we don't need. They have just announced that the finals at WMBLDN (well thats how they pronounce it on the BBC) will be available in 3D. I had a wee look through the special specs at my local TV store remain unconvinced. Am I missing something?
wee davy
Nope.

Youve got it bang on, ash.
3D was a non starter years ago, when they wanted to make it the medium of choice for cinema - but it was SOUNDLY rejected. Their making EXACTLY the same mistake now.
People are voting with their bank accounts and keeping their money securely
locked away - those that would drive us all to 3D 'valhallah' must be tearing their hair out, because they've got all this stock, stacked up - waiting to 'fly' off the shelves - but nobody wants them!
TeeHeeHee
You're right, Davy. It seemed to peak out after Avatar but they keep pushing it now to keep it up-market.
Rabbie
We have a flat screen. So at a guess ah dinnea think a 2D surface can be 3D affair. Mind ye, ah wus never good at yon algebraic stuff and the like, so I might be wrang. Ah always thought obtuse was a personal trait, then was telt it was an angle... Talk aboot confusion.

This 3D malarkey is nae more than a useless gimmick to fleece gullible yuppies, poseurs an the like oot their ill gotten gains. As such I am all fur it, fill yer boots!

The way this place is going we should resurrect Dick Turpin, at least he had the decency to wear a mask when relieving his respectable clientele of a brass waasher or twa.
Heather
I have been looking for a new TV recently and after I got the 3D TV explained to me I just said ' no thankyou'.
Who wants to sit at home wearing these 3D goggles every time they want to watch the TV. rolleyes.gif
ashfield
According to the news, there have been in excess of 300000 3D sets sold in Britain. I feel I'm being left behind, maybe I should get round to getting one of the ones that do colour mellow.gif
Marion Niven Dougan
Not for us. wE HAVE 3 FLAT SCREENS IN OUR HOUSE AND WE ARE HAPPY
wombat
rolleyes.gif peyin thousands tae prove hollywood's crap has a back?no thanx,biggest con sinced sliced bread.

wis considerin buyin wan so ah cood watch the addams family's antics, iiwies wanted tae see the back o them rolleyes.gif
Crewsy Fixer
How many different telly's have there been in all the years of telly.

Does anyone recall the times of using a wire coathanger as an ariel, worked a treat, or having to get up to adjust an arial and change channels,

How far does commerce go with the latest must have viewing experience, it must have a life term.

Whats the correct spelling of ariel?
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 9th Jun 2011, 12:57am) *
Does anyone recall the times of using a wire coathanger as an ariel, worked a treat.

Whats the correct spelling of ariel?

In our billet in the RAF we used a wooden broom handle with aluminium (aloominum across the pond) tubes poked through (thru) it and an aluminium reflector plate at the end for an aerial ... perfect; and spelled write too tongue.gif laugh.gif
Dunvegan
Just try it once with those glasses and remember dont look left or right. The prices of them in Aus have dropped to the same as a good LCD LED. TV. And this is in nation of techno junkies. The depfth of field in modern sets makes the trial of watching 3D TV not worth the bother.
Rabbie
Aerial is a font.
Rabbie
3D Telly is quite clever, it is not 3D as we know it.

It is 2D layers, dual layers. The concept is based on simple binocular depth perception trickery.

Jotters on my desk first thing, no excuses!
Melody
laugh.gif Ah've got enough bother wi ma eyes withoot seein' in 3D next.
Rabbie
Wit's next Smellyvision>

Ah think will gie that a MISS!
Tommy Kennedy
The first 3D film I saw was a John Wayne film in Philadelphia in the 50s – was interesting to see, but it didn’t catch on.
Went with G/kids to see ‘Avatar’ very clever effects but a story line kids couldn’t understand – the bad Capitalists exploiting a planet.
I think in a few years we will see 3D tellys where you don’t have to use glasses and like the flat screen plasma tellys they will be common.
In my G/kids time the visions will come up where you’ll be able walk round ‘the scene’ see the backs of actors/buildings. (What man can imaging, man can create)
Films/telly to – day with special effects – are set on ‘entertaining’ the masses ; yester year ‘Hollywood dream factor’ films gave the masses escape from dreary life’s.
Gone are what they used to call ‘Atmospheric films’ that really could have you sitting on the edge of your seat – and you couldn’t always guess the ending.
Smelly vision? – we don’t want that, imagine smelling that Beard of Wombat’s tongue.gif
Jupiter
I havent any facts or figures on this one but somehow I dont think this 3D gimmick will really catch on.Im mean who wants to sit wearing a big oversized pair of specs to watch tv when they are not really necessary?
I was discussing this with a few friends while we were watching a couple of HD programmes and the question was how much added realism do you really need to watch telly.
No doubt in time the price of sets and specs will fall but I do think that 3D as a viewing mode could quite easily fizzle out.
Tommy Kennedy
As, said, Jupiter, in a few years you won't need glasses - the technology will be imbedded in the screen.
THey have to come up with some way to get people to buy 'New tellys'
Jupiter
Didnt know I said that. rolleyes.gif
charlieboggins
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 9th Jun 2011, 03:39am) *
Aerial is a font.

Ah thought a font had water in it, oops but then anyone knows you put aerial in water...........So is it a biological font and is it better than Daz..................Are we gon off at a tangent here

Haud on did 3d no use tae buy ye a bar of highland toffee, used tae love that 3d worth.
Rabbie
Tommy the techo is here for 3D without glasses, it exists some weans handheld game consoles.

It uses two integral surfaces seperated by a small distance, some clever software projects data on the screens to give the perception of depth. But you have to oggle it head on as it is buggered if you view it from an angle.

Remember them handheld contraptions you could stick rotary 3D slides and flick em aroond? Charles Frank used to sell sets of them, they was about 15/-, a lot of money in them days. I had the Apollo 8 Set, was pretty awesome images for a snotty wean on used to soot, grime and midden raking.

These images looked better than the 3D these days, so much for progress.

mlconnelly
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 9th Jun 2011, 09:53pm) *
Tommy the techo is here for 3D without glasses, it exists some weans handheld game consoles.

It uses two integral surfaces seperated by a small distance, some clever software projects data on the screens to give the perception of depth. But you have to oggle it head on as it is buggered if you view it from an angle.

Remember them handheld contraptions you could stick rotary 3D slides and flick em aroond? Charles Frank used to sell sets of them, they was about 15/-, a lot of money in them days. I had the Apollo 8 Set, was pretty awesome images for a snotty wean on used to soot, grime and midden raking.

These images looked better than the 3D these days, so much for progress.

The new Nintendo DS 3D is apparently making users feel sick. laugh.gif Mary
Rabbie
Aye Mary, the price o' them is enough to make ye boak biggrin.gif
wombat
Smelly vision? – we don’t want that, imagine smelling that Beard of Wombat’s sez tommy.

tongue.gif or worse still tommys bad breath,when dolly birds smell it they look forward tae his farts
benny
Ah don't think 3D will catch on until it losesi the glesses. Probably a holographic based system, where the image is projected intae the middle of the room will emerge eventually, but that's a long way away yet commercially. The Next Big Thing for suck. . . sorry, viewers, will be Ultra High Definition. This is a souped up version of today's HD. and will show a gnat's baw herr in aw it's minute detail - whether ye want it or no.

It's kinda funny, really. Researchers spent years developin HiFi audio, where every nuance of a recordin wis captured, even the frequencies that were beyond most humans' hearing range. Noo, the most common form of audio format is MP3, where hauf o the fine detail audio is ditched in favour of smaller files. Most people don't notice the difference in quality.

By the way, Rabbie, Arial is the font.
Tommy Kennedy
Rabbie, do you remember the 3D cameras that came on the market, late 50s/early 60s. They had 2 lenses; came with a contraption you held up to your eyes, had a protruding stick with a frame at the end to hold pic. They didn’t catch on
I bought a new Kodak printer at Xmas. A few weeks ago I had an ‘update’ from Kodak with ‘example’ of a 3D pick. You could print the unprocessed one, which looked blurry – then print the ‘processed' one which, without glasses, was very near 3D. Quite impressive.

Maybe they've sent it as they are going to put a 3D camera on the market that you 'process' the pic on computer.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (benny @ 10th Jun 2011, 10:25am) *
Ah don't think 3D will catch on until it losesi the glesses. Probably a holographic based system, where the image is projected intae the middle of the room will emerge eventually, but that's a long way away yet commercially. The Next Big Thing for suck. . . sorry, viewers, will be Ultra High Definition. This is a souped up version of today's HD. and will show a gnat's baw herr in aw it's minute detail - whether ye want it or no.

It's kinda funny, really. Researchers spent years developin HiFi audio, where every nuance of a recordin wis captured, even the frequencies that were beyond most humans' hearing range. Noo, the most common form of audio format is MP3, where hauf o the fine detail audio is ditched in favour of smaller files. Most people don't notice the difference in quality.

By the way, Rabbie, Arial is the font.

Holographic Photography was around in the late sixties, early seventies. I have seen a version of it in a "shoot em up sheriff game" Dont know what became of the concept but I watched a TV. program describing its operation and the technology. Cant remember where it was but it was a long time ago. The Holographic game was over the top expensive for the time maybe thats the reason it's not around now.
Dunvegan
Is no Blue Tooth ultra high definition??? I cant tell the difference from HDD and was told by a sales rep TV that you can only see the difference if you know what you are looking for. Bluetooth will be the format of the future but dont rush to get it as there are other systems in the pipeline. IBM has an up and runnining experimental flat TV screen that can roll up and be run out on any wall, carried around any where, with colour definition that it is said to be the penultimate. Untill the next one.
benny
Ah take it ye mean Blu-Ray? BlueTooth is a short range wireless technology, for use in cordless headphones, etc.
Generally speakin, ah wid agree wi ye aboot the folly of chasin the "next big thing" in technology, unless ye hiv a good reason fur it. Ah'm typin this on a 9 year auld desktop computer, which is still perfectly serviceable fur the things ah use it fur. Ah've added merr memory and a bigger hard disk, but otherwise it's still got its original specifications.
Obviously if ah wis intae video editing, or games it wid be a useless dinosaur, but things get thrown away too readily nooadays when they could still be in use fur years.

Ah hiv a friend who works in a recycling depot (formerly known as a dump biggrin.gif) and the amount o things that get turfed oot while still perfectly functional is amazin. Ma most recent acquisition frae the dump wis an auld IBM laptop wi nae hard disk. Pit in an auld hard disk ah had lyin aboot, an it's up an runnin again. OK, it's no gonnae break any speed records, but it's still a perfectly useable laptop, wi a build quality far in excess o most modern wans.
Melody
Reading this reminded me of my grandpa wandering around the living room with the ariel in his hands trying to get a picture on the old B/W telly in fifties. For some reason it made me think how much fun life used to be in the past when people lived real lives. laugh.gif He might not have thought that at the time though. laugh.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Melody @ 12th Jun 2011, 08:03pm) *
Reading this reminded me of my grandpa wandering around the living room with the ariel in his hands trying to get a picture on the old B/W telly in fifties. For some reason it made me think how much fun life used to be in the past when people lived real lives. laugh.gif He might not have thought that at the time though. laugh.gif

Trouble with that Melody is that in those far off days there was very little in the way of technology available to the average worker. We had to make do and mend on a daily basis. I worked sometimes seven days a week and eight years at University at night. If I had the technology then as I have now, on line Japanese dictionaries( Ican at the touch of a button revert my Office Word to Japanese) Chinese writing programs to write in about ten different scripts. I know its not every ones cup of tea but I am only sorry I did not have available then what I have late in life. Maybe that's why I am so appreciative of things that young people can now take for granted.
Melody
I know Dunvegan, I was saying this morning though how all this technology makes us anti-social. I've got my rose coloured glasses on rather my 3D ones.laugh.gif I used to love being able to take mechanical things apart and seeing how they all worked. I miss that in this throw away world.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Melody @ 12th Jun 2011, 08:22pm) *
I know Dunvegan, I was saying this morning though how all this technology makes us anti-social. I've got my rose coloured glasses on rather my 3D ones.laugh.gif I used to love being able to take mechanical things apart and seeing how they all worked. I miss that in this throw away world.

I know all about the throw away world and its' negative connotations. However take consumer durables. Most people in the West and increasingly in the eastern countries have access to TVs , fridges, cookers, furniture etc. When I was setting up home with my wife back in the 70s we had only what we could carry back to our 1 bedroom flat on our backs. There was not a lot we could afford. Now I have to restrain myself when I go out anywhere having the ability to purchase what I feel like. I was very restrained from spending money in the forty odd years I worked. My wife is no less frugal. The throw away world for all its faults is an economy driven jobs providing institution. Old Chinese saying;
'He who pulls the great chariot (ie. the emperors ) can never falter"
Implications are if you ever stop pulling it will roll over you; disaster if you don't keep supporting the status quo.
It wont last forever but what replaces it is a worrying prospect to those who have known peace and prosperity for so long.
Tommy Kennedy
QUOTE (Melody @ 12th Jun 2011, 11:03am) *

You remind me, Melody of my auld Dad, who would install an 'Outside ariel' for the 'wireless' as we called the radio back then. If we lived in the middle of a tenement he would go up to those on the top floor and ask them to let him fix an ariel attachment outside their window; then trail a wire down to our house - plugged into our wireless. He made his own radios, scouring the barras for old valves, condensers etc. Vistors would look on in amazement as he tuned in foreign stations, even Amerirican stations. It was the days when radios had 'medium and long wave' sets, tho' those were more expensive. He did well in the war years making and selling radios, which was the thing most people wanted, and at last had money to buy one.

Mentioning the masses having little share in modern technolgy, Dunvegan - that was so for all of the 19th century right thru to the mid- 50s. even the 'Gramophone/telephone. The only technology they did share was the cinema which gave the State enormous power of propoganda.
Photography they did have a share in if they could afford to go to a studio and have their pic taken.
There was headlines last year when the car industry was complaining they only sold 3 million new cars - ONLY! It was the mid-60s when the working man aspired to buying a second car!

Whlie we rightly knock 'New technology' coming along telling us to dump our old contraptions and buy new it is the basis of modern Captalism which is dependent on the masses having a measure of prosperity to 'buy'. Not entirley a bad thing as the large corporations suffer as never before when the masses are hit by a recession.
Of course another great plus of modern technology, pariticulary instant communications, is that it weakens States power of propoganda er, exception here when our telly's are being overloaded this year with glorifying the Royals.
But we have had a decade of constant 'failed' wars Iraq/Afghanistan and now Libya, always on our telly, turning the masses against war and at last not believing the State propoganda.
Tommy Kennedy
Just thinking, as there is an old film on telly to-day 'Gunga din' -the power of cinema technology had on my generation; gloryifying war.
We cheered on our troops when they were in fact the baddies and the Indians the goodies and that Gunda din was a colaborater.!
auldbutcher
Hi troops ahm goin aff on a ramble here, Gunga Din taken fae wan o my fav poets Rudyard Kipling, wie ah name like that wis he living in a state o unmarried bliss in his life,ach anywies i luved o they pic's when i was a kid Beau Gueste ,and the Life o a Bengal Lancer by the by this wis wee addy Hitler's fav movie he luved the Brits an the way they subjugated the likes o China and India wie ah small detachment o man power, wee erse made the big mistake o taken on Russia probably cos the other wee erse Napoleon wie an equally funny hair style never wrote his version o Mein Kampf thus leading wee Addy to making the biggest mistake o the second world war, you know troops if he had held aff and had let his scientist's to improve his weapons o mass destruction we wid aw be speaking Deutsche noo, jasus thats ah chilling thought inate .

Almost like the gers going on tae do 4 in a row biggrin.gif anywies the poor Native Americans who were always shown as the baddies in the films ,people's who lived off the land were one in akin tae nature they migrated an why do you think ,some people say it was tae follow the buffalo an yep tae a certain degree it was but think aboot sanitary conditions obviously they must have had tae up ship and moved to pastures new ,and what did the white man do in relation tae treaty's ,pledges ,an words o honor pluck aw, they were given reservations or as any paid up member o the S,S wid say GHETTO'S .

They gave them blankets,wie the smallpox virus,stiff me that musta been the first case o biological warfare known tae man ,they also did what the bloomin Nazis done to the Jews ''i worked in a koshers butches twice and got to know a peoples who are family orientated and very religious a kind and very open handed and out going and tae this day i champion the cause o the state o Israel a land surrounded by racial bigoted enemy's ''.

How wrong are these film's weel troop[s Crazy horse the Sioux's William Wallace wis bayoneted tae death,Sitting Bull also met a grisly end while living on a reservation,am no sure but i think wan o the greatest guerrilla fighters Geronimo slso got the shitty end o the stick .

Hollywood you got a lot tae answer fer ,P.S that scumbag Senator MCcarthy widda luved it you know who i mean troops the Witchcatcher General o the 20th century .

Rabbie
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 10th Jun 2011, 01:54am) *
Rabbie, do you remember the 3D cameras that came on the market, late 50s/early 60s. They had 2 lenses; came with a contraption you held up to your eyes, had a protruding stick with a frame at the end to hold pic. They didn’t catch on

Na cannea say I remember those but it seem to remember wan of my uncles in the Army brought some it like wit you describe back an was messing about with it trying to get it to work. It was no great surprise he failed, well he was Army and had trubble pitting wan fit in front of the other but maybe that was just the swally.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 12th Jun 2011, 09:28pm) *
You remind me, Melody of my auld Dad, who would install an 'Outside ariel' for the 'wireless' as we called the radio back then. If we lived in the middle of a tenement he would go up to those on the top floor and ask them to let him fix an ariel attachment outside their window; then trail a wire down to our house - plugged into our wireless. He made his own radios, scouring the barras for old valves, condensers etc. Vistors would look on in amazement as he tuned in foreign stations, even Amerirican stations. It was the days when radios had 'medium and long wave' sets, tho' those were more expensive. He did well in the war years making and selling radios, which was the thing most people wanted, and at last had money to buy one.

Mentioning the masses having little share in modern technolgy, Dunvegan - that was so for all of the 19th century right thru to the mid- 50s. even the 'Gramophone/telephone. The only technology they did share was the cinema which gave the State enormous power of propoganda.
Photography they did have a share in if they could afford to go to a studio and have their pic taken.
There was headlines last year when the car industry was complaining they only sold 3 million new cars - ONLY! It was the mid-60s when the working man aspired to buying a second car!

Whlie we rightly knock 'New technology' coming along telling us to dump our old contraptions and buy new it is the basis of modern Captalism which is dependent on the masses having a measure of prosperity to 'buy'. Not entirley a bad thing as the large corporations suffer as never before when the masses are hit by a recession.
Of course another great plus of modern technology, pariticulary instant communications, is that it weakens States power of propoganda er, exception here when our telly's are being overloaded this year with glorifying the Royals.
But we have had a decade of constant 'failed' wars Iraq/Afghanistan and now Libya, always on our telly, turning the masses against war and at last not believing the State propoganda.

Our non tabloid papers this weekend were outdoing themselves to present us with photos of the happy and universally beloved newly weds in glorious royal colour. Upshot of the article was that they were hostin a charity ball and after party for 100,000 pounds a seat .It was for charity and all seats were sold!!!! biggrin.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 13th Jun 2011, 05:02am) *
Hi troops ahm goin aff on a ramble here, Gunga Din taken fae wan o my fav poets Rudyard Kipling, wie ah name like that wis he living in a state o unmarried bliss in his life,ach anywies i luved o they pic's when i was a kid Beau Gueste ,and the Life o a Bengal Lancer by the by this wis wee addy Hitler's fav movie he luved the Brits an the way they subjugated the likes o China and India wie ah small detachment o man power, wee erse made the big mistake o taken on Russia probably cos the other wee erse Napoleon wie an equally funny hair style never wrote his version o Mein Kampf thus leading wee Addy to making the biggest mistake o the second world war, you know troops if he had held aff and had let his scientist's to improve his weapons o mass destruction we wid aw be speaking Deutsche noo, jasus thats ah chilling thought inate .

Almost like the gers going on tae do 4 in a row biggrin.gif anywies the poor Native Americans who were always shown as the baddies in the films ,people's who lived off the land were one in akin tae nature they migrated an why do you think ,some people say it was tae follow the buffalo an yep tae a certain degree it was but think aboot sanitary conditions obviously they must have had tae up ship and moved to pastures new ,and what did the white man do in relation tae treaty's ,pledges ,an words o honor pluck aw, they were given reservations or as any paid up member o the S,S wid say GHETTO'S .

They gave them blankets,wie the smallpox virus,stiff me that musta been the first case o biological warfare known tae man ,they also did what the bloomin Nazis done to the Jews ''i worked in a koshers butches twice and got to know a peoples who are family orientated and very religious a kind and very open handed and out going and tae this day i champion the cause o the state o Israel a land surrounded by racial bigoted enemy's ''.

How wrong are these film's weel troop[s Crazy horse the Sioux's William Wallace wis bayoneted tae death,Sitting Bull also met a grisly end while living on a reservation,am no sure but i think wan o the greatest guerrilla fighters Geronimo slso got the shitty end o the stick .

Hollywood you got a lot tae answer fer ,P.S that scumbag Senator MCcarthy widda luved it you know who i mean troops the Witchcatcher General o the 20th century .

Geronimo got the shitty end of the stick being forced off his beloved land. He never commanded more than 20 or so warriors and lived to his 80s being constantly kicked of Luthern run reservations for excessive drinking and gamblling
Dunvegan
Going on from that Butch, Sitting Bull; Lakota name, "The bull who is in posession", was shot by a tribal policeman of his own Lakota nation, called Little Big Man. Crazy horse: Lakota name from his naming vision was "Horse that did something unusual" was captrured under a flag of truce, tortured by American solidiers and supsequently shot by them. It was Geronimo's boast the he never killed a man who was not pointing a gun at him. Geronimo was not his name as it a nickname given to him by the Spanish settelers, who on two occassions wiped out his whole family, wives and children and incidently invented scalping as a means of identifying Apaches and others in order to pay the correct bounty price for males "squaws" and children.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 9th Jun 2011, 01:47pm) *
Wit's next Smellyvision>
Ah think will gie that a MISS!

With a Jack Russel on yer lap like me when watchin, you don't need smellyvision Rabbie! Click to view attachment
TeeHeeHee
Went into the Post Office come Telly Shop today; to post a Confirmation-of-Alive-and-Kicking-Form rolleyes.gif to the Swiss authority, and was given the opportunity to try out one of the latest 3D telly models.
They had a thing like a microphone stand with the 3D specs attatched so you could stand a certain distance away from the telly and adjust the specs to height.
Sports were on show and it was fantastico.
Swimmers, high-jumpers, hurdlers, bit of football and a show jumper comin' right at you.
Fantastico.
Guy says, "What do you think?"
I says, "Telly is fantisimo. Don't like the idea of two or three microphone stands in the middle of the room tho'."
Took 'im a minute. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
Rab-oldname
laugh.gif Sounds like Glasgow sense of humour meets Swiss/German 'sense of humour' Tomi! laugh.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Rab @ 18th Jun 2011, 09:05pm) *
laugh.gif Sounds like Glasgow sense of humour meets Swiss/German 'sense of humour' Tomi!

Swiss / German humour??? Is that no what ye' wid call an oxymoron, Up there with military intelligence tongue.gif
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 21st Jun 2011, 07:25am) *
Swiss / German humour??? Is that no what ye' wid call an oxymoron, Up there with military intelligence tongue.gif

How do you make a Swiss Roll

Push him down an Alp.

Anglo -Saxon humour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.