Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warning : Is This What We've Come To?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Melody
Words fail me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13611089
TeeHeeHee
What goes on behind closed doors, might have been a better topic title Melody. This is not a case of what we've come to but rather what we are.
There have been so many instances; and not just in the UK, of people who work in positions of care who have neither the callin', the training nor the mental capacity required for such posts whether it's children, older folks or mentally handicapped patients who are under their care.
When I was in RAF Chessington Joint Services Rehabilitation Unit my first night there upon arrival was spent in the base's "Sick Quarters" due to my late arrival. The patients there were military personnel who had, in some cases, brain damage. The staff, military personnel who'd been through this unit themselves as patients with injuries ranging from broken knees to broken backs (I'd suffered a crushed upper spine and broken neck from a riding incident) were all dedicated men and women who'd changed their trade group to passionately care for some of the most difficult patients imaginable. (Military patients can be extremely depressive and violent on ocassion).
People who go into the care profession mustn't simply wish to have a job but must wish to be professional carers; that's what it's all about and a week's on the job training is not on anyway.
mlconnelly
Your right TeeHeeHee. This type of job needs a very special type of person and as such, they should be paid proportionately. My brother and I looked after our uncle after he lost his leg and had several strokes. We had great support from all the agencies involved in keeping him in his own home for as long as possible, as he was determined he wasn't going onto a home. Even with loads of support this was extremely stressful, both physically and emotionally but you do it because its family. I couldn't do this job day in and day out, the stress would be too much for me. Hats off to the people who do this kind of work and do it well. Hopefully the people who do the job badly are in the minority, are found out and kicked out as soon as possible. Mary
proudmaryhiller
If I'm lucky enough to scratch a white head, I would rather be six foot under than go in to one of those places.
Melody
They are saying on the news that we can forget being able to pass on our property to our children as we'll need the money to fund any elderly care that we may need. Looking at that video showing the care of the young mentally challenged one wonders what kind of 'care' that may be. What of those who have no property in order to pay for their old age care? What a horrible greedy, God forsaken world we are all living in.
Glasgow Girl
Words fail me too! The capability of humans to be immeasureably cruel never ceases to amaze and scare me. I hope these people are made to pay. I didn't watch the programme and only caught a glimpse on morning t.v. before going out. I couldn't watch such cruelty...it would upset me too much.
Heather
Meanwhile we continually read about Benefit cheats who are robbing the system and taxpayers. The money they steal could be going to help those who are in Care Homes or pay for Carers to look after them in their own homes.

Today it was reported in the newspapers about a family of Benefit cheats who claimed 98,000-00 in public cash and they owned ten house's worth a total of one million pounds. mad.gif
When investigators raided the home of mum of one Anuysa Parmar, they found 110,00-00 stuffed in carrier bags. This woman, her mum and two brothers were all into that con and all the Judge did was sentence her to 24 weeks suspended jail sentence and 100 hours Community Service!!!
The family may have to sell their some of their property to repay back the money they stole.
I think their property should be confiscated.

When I read about those Benefit cheats I'm glad I'm retired because if I had to deal with them I would probably get the sack, or as my husband said, " you would end up in jail". rolleyes.gif
Wendy123
QUOTE (Glasgow Girl @ 1st Jun 2011, 02:55pm) *
Words fail me too! The capability of humans to be immeasureably cruel never ceases to amaze and scare me. I hope these people are made to pay. I didn't watch the programme and only caught a glimpse on morning t.v. before going out. I couldn't watch such cruelty...it would upset me too much.

How long has this gone on for? I hope those responsible never work in the care profession again
charlieboggins
My god, people caused uproar when Thatcher brought in care in the community, tonight people are demanding it and rightly so. These people who perpetrated these crimes will no doubt have human rights and thus they will receive no more than a slap on the wrist. They deserve a slap on the wrist with a machete. Obnoxious bullies attacking the weakest in society but nothing more than anyone could expect in this country where morals are as copious as sunshine in Glasgow on a bank holiday.
Heather
What I wonder is, are the people who abuse the elderly qualified SRNs or just someone willing to work in Care Homes without proper training and for less pay than those with proper training.

No doubt the Care Homes would say they can't afford qualified SRNs.

We have a few SRNs in the family and two of them have worked in Care Homes.
One left because she did not like what she said was the careless way the elderly were treated.
The other one reported the Care Home she worked in for the same reason.

In saying that, there probably are some SRNs who do badly treat the elderly
Melody
The thought just struck me that our own Mr and Mrs Wombat care ten thousand fold more for the animals that they look after than we seem to care about the disadvantaged, ill, and old amongst our own species.

What does it say about us when we close our eyes and ears to all this torture and cruelty dished out to those amongst us who are no longer able to look after themselves. The young and the old of our species are the most dependent of all living creatures.
Glasgow Girl
QUOTE (Heather @ 1st Jun 2011, 06:57pm) *
What I wonder is, are the people who abuse the elderly qualified SRNs or just someone willing to work in Care Homes without proper training and for less pay than those with proper training.

No doubt the Care Homes would say they can't afford qualified SRNs.

We have a few SRNs in the family and two of them have worked in Care Homes.
One left because she did not like what she said was the careless way the elderly were treated.
The other one reported the Care Home she worked in for the same reason.

In saying that, there probably are some SRNs who do badly treat the elderly

Were these homes in Glasgow Heather?
Heather
G-Girl, I don't think so as the one shown on TV was in Bristol as in Melody's link in the first Post on this Thread.

But I have just watched the news and it showed elderly and mentally disabled people who are in that Residential Hospital being punched and kicked by the Staff
It was terrible watching it and the kind of thing that has you ranting and raving and wanting to slap the abusers.
The one's responsible for those beatings have been arrested.

The BBC had put in hidden cameras as they were making a Documentry and I think they got more than they expected.
Glasgow Girl
Heather, I meant the care homes that members of your family worked in, were they in Glasgow? Sorry, don't mean to pry.
Heather
G-Girl, one of the Care Homes was in Glasgow and although I can't remember the name I know where it is but I can't name it as I don't fancy getting sued. wub.gif

The other was somewhere in Perthshire.

benny
I don't know of any care home proprietors in the UKwho have been successfully prosecuted, even when the patients under their care have been woefully neglected, or deliberately maltreated by employees. No-one is going to convince me that things like this go on without the knowledge of those higher up the chain of command.
If there had been no video evidence of these events, I'm quite sure it would have been vehemently denied they ever took place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.