Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Labour Legacy
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
TeeHeeHee
The Labour Legacy: Make of it what you will but the chickens are coming home to roost.
Blair & Browns Open Door policy looks like being Open Season for immigrant criminals.

Click to view attachment

the true number is likely to be much higher, as only 19 out of the 52 police forces provided the figures, in response to Freedom of Information requests.

The rise comes despite an overall fall in crime recorded during the past five years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...l#ixzz1IbexeLWt
zascot
The start of a long slippery slope?
Dexter St. Clair
Rather than reading trash newspapers one can read the facts here.

You might not like them.

Crime in Scotland

bilbo.s
What is the connection between a Scottish Government report and a Daily Mail story about English crime ? unsure.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 5th Apr 2011, 08:16am) *
Rather than reading trash newspapers one can read the facts here.
You might not like them.
Crime in Scotland

I might agree to the newspaper being somewhat trashy these days Dexter, but if the given report is false I'd like you to inform us where the falsities lie. Could you do that please? I know you're a great one for researching.
Interesting Link there Dexter, I see crime in Scotland is down by 12%.
Hope they keep this up.
Reported crime in England, according to the aforementioned report in this topic, is also down - with the exception of those committed by foreign nationals which have, seemingly, drastically increased for the same period.
benny
A coupla points come tae mind. Firstly, what were the figures for arrest of "foreign nationals" in, say, the 10 years preceding these figures? Crime statistics can show "blips" that go against the long term trend, and this could be just such a case.
Secondly, what crimes are involved? Drappijn a crisp poke in the street obviously isnae on the same level as robbin a bank or muggin somebody.
Jupiter
There is a big difference between someone being arrested and someone being charged.
The charged figures are the important ones.
ionnsaigh
Perhaps we have marginalised these people to such an extent, ( economically socially ) that they exist outwith main stream society. Is it any wonder some break the law..... I maintain that the link between poverty and crime is self evident... the answer seems... cut poverty and reduce crime. rolleyes.gif
simples.
wee davy
or cut the stream of illegal immigrants coming under and over the sea

poverty is no excuse for mugging an old lady of 84 in a queue at M&S!

(or for committing any other crime come to that)
ionnsaigh
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th Apr 2011, 10:56am) *
or cut the stream of illegal immigrants coming under and over the sea

poverty is no excuse for mugging an old lady of 84 in a queue at M&S!

(or for committing any other crime come to that)

Imagine getting a tag like illegal immigrant, in a Christian country too, how shocking and a sad reflection..... indeed indictment... of an intolerant society... Glad I'm up here in Scotland, not one of those economic migrants.... that left these lands. Good riddance, tae bad rubbish - if you ask me... rolleyes.gif ..
Poverty is one of the reasons, ( primary reason ) for mugging an old lady of 84 in a queue at M&S, along with murder, theft, assault, and every other crime, in areas of high deprivation... send these poor buggers in there, and of course crime figures will rise.
The real crime is poverty.

bilbo.s
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 5th Apr 2011, 03:29pm) *
Glad I'm up here in Scotland, not one of those economic migrants.... that left these lands. Good riddance, tae bad rubbish - if you ask me..

To whom are you referring here? The colonials and expats on the boards? The victims of the highland clearances? unsure.gif

TeeHeeHee
Me & you Bill?
The difference is that we economical migrants payed intae the system in our adopted lands as opposed to the economical immigrants who came to Britain to sponge what they could soak up ... or maybe nick what they couldn't rolleyes.gif
ionnsaigh
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th Apr 2011, 02:12pm) *
To whom are you referring here? The colonials and expats on the boards? The victims of the highland clearances? unsure.gif

Only the ones that have a problem, with a narrow perspective of migration, when they themselves are migrants.... Migration I'm all for it ... It has added richness, to the cultural history of Glasgow.
Me, I'm only jealous... can't wait to get back to Catalonia, even for a couple of weeks. smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
I'm all for migration too, always been a Gypsy at heart, but there shouldn't be an automatic right to move into a country of choice and immediately claim benefits at cost to those who financially support their exchequer.
TeeHeeHee
The subject of Bombardier and it's lay-off of more than 14,000 workers at it's Derby plant was discussed off-topic on the "Tories responsible for 25,000 Glasgow deaths" topic. For that reason I have to bring the subject over here to the "Labour Legacy" topic because if the item (link below) is correct than the lay-offs at Bombardier are indeed another Labour legacy.

Last month Bombardier, Britain’s last train maker, announced 1,400 job losses after Transport Secretary Philip Hammond awarded the 1.5billion Thameslink contract to Siemens.

But Transport Minister Theresa Villiers yesterday admitted that millions had been paid to consultants who advised on the tendering process.

Union bosses immediately demanded a re-think of the deal to build 1,200 carriages.

Ministers insist that under EU law they were bound by a process set up by the last Labour government which failed to include factors such as jobs.

Mark Young, the East Midlands regional coordinator of Unite, which represents most of the Bombardier workers, said: “To spend 15million of taxpayers’ money on consultants only for the contract to be awarded to a company that will not even build the trains in the UK is a nonsense.”

The news that over 15m has been soaked up in advisers and consultants’ fees...adds insult to injury

Bob Crow, the boss of the RMT rail union

Bob Crow, the boss of the RMT rail union, called on the National Audit Office to include the consultants’ costs in its investigation into the contract.

He said: “These well-paid advisers totally failed to include the wider costs to the UK economy in the tendering evaluation, despite the fact that it is standard practice in other European countries.

“The news that over 15million has been soaked up in advisers and consultants’ fees to oil the wheels of the Bombardier stitch-up adds insult to injury.

“This money could have been invested in defending train manufacturing jobs in the UK. It’s time for the Government to award this contract to the Derby workforce.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/262805...p-at-Bombardier
Rab-oldname
One figure that is 'apparently' mislaid, forgotten or more likely, thankfully unknown is the amount of crime, serious or otherwise which is unreported and very substantial, when statistics are published. This is allied to what we in the job used to call 'sleeving'.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 5th Apr 2011, 12:11pm) *
Perhaps we have marginalised these people to such an extent, ( economically socially ) that they exist outwith main stream society. Is it any wonder some break the law..... I maintain that the link between poverty and crime is self evident... the answer seems... cut poverty and reduce crime. rolleyes.gif
simples.

This is typical wooly minded liberal thinking.
The majority of folk in Scotland are decent honest people that (can I say it ) struggle to come out on their earnings, but DONT resort to crime.

Every legal immigrant to the UK is given more help from the UK goverment in terms of BEING TOLD what they are able qualify for in help.
Try going into the social as a locally born worthy down on your luck and see how quickly you are given the bums rush.
The UK goverment is lucky it has the Official Secrets Act to prevent its workers disclosing the truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.