Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow United
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Crewsy Fixer
I Crewsy Fixer, a Rangers fan, do declare that if The City of Glasgow somehow could come up with a professional football team, Glasgow United maybe,that team would be able to compete and beat the best. Man Utd? oot the road. Barcelona? sit doon and shut up. Real Madrid? beat it and dont come back until youve got a proper fitba team. 200 000 seater stadium?

One can dream.
zascot
And the colours would be Green and Blue, placards wi King Billy leading the IRA into battle, ex Celtic fans kissing ex Gers fans,the Pope becoming a Mason, the Queen leading the catholic church and Glasgow becoming a " Quaint little fishing village oan the Clyde."
Am gettin homesick lol
TeeHeeHee
Which players would you have in the 2nd eleven?
Come to think of it, how many Scots would be in the big team? rolleyes.gif
Mathieson
I see the drugs are starting to kick in Crewsy biggrin.gif
zascot
TeeHeeHee 1. probably the Rangers Players lol
2. None thae wid awe be oot baskin in the new peaceful Glasgow atmosphere
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 29th Mar 2011, 10:27am) *
I see the drugs are starting to kick in Crewsy biggrin.gif

Ha ha, liquid drugs.
Mathieson
That come in pints and 1/4 gills? The best kind mate! laugh.gif
Crewsy Fixer
The point being though is where did the division start, it wasnt me, I love Glasgow and believe that a united Glasgow could achieve more than shipyards did in promoting Glasgow worldwide. Why is Glasgow divided.
andypisces
Crewsy you beat me to the punch. I think the only way is to amalgamate both clubs into Glasgow united. Catch phrase......
END THE HATE....AMALGAMATE
It would lead to fans who support the existing pair to stay home and support their local teams. It would release more of the top players for the other scottish clubs. They could afford these players because of the increased support from the non glasgow football supporters. One team half the players. As it is no one likes glasgow anyway so let them stay home and support hearts,hibs,aberdeen dundee etc.
I dont think is such a bad idea and in fact it is a damn good idea
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (andypisces @ 29th Mar 2011, 08:32pm) *
Crewsy you beat me to the punch. I think the only way is to amalgamate both clubs into Glasgow united. Catch phrase......
It would lead to fans who support the existing pair to stay home and support their local teams. It would release more of the top players for the other scottish clubs. They could afford these players because of the increased support from the non glasgow football supporters. One team half the players. As it is no one likes glasgow anyway so let them stay home and support hearts,hibs,aberdeen dundee etc.

Backed by cash from the Government. Real Madrid, Who? It is an acheivable dream.
zascot
It would have my support but will never happen, can you imagine the bus driver " O.K. we are now united, please take your seats, green seats upstairs, blue seats downstairs."
Melody
Did there not used to be a team called Glasgow United?
wombat
QUOTE (zascot @ 30th Mar 2011, 07:47am) *
It would have my support but will never happen, can you imagine the bus driver " O.K. we are now united, please take your seats, green seats upstairs, blue seats downstairs."

rolleyes.gif diffferent coloured tickets as well wink.gif
joycewilson
Click to view attachment

In the play Singin Im No A Billy Hes A Tim.....Billy mentions creating a new team Glasgow United lol.....
Mathieson
QUOTE (andypisces @ 29th Mar 2011, 09:32pm) *

LOL! Aye, very good andypisces. And do you still believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus?
JAGZ1876
You guy's are forgeting something, we already have a professional club in Glasgow that unites sane, intelligent, level headed Glaswegians. And they are called, Partick Thistle FC.
C,mon the Jags. Uniting Glasgow since 1876.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 30th Jun 2011, 05:08pm) *
You guy's are forgeting something, we already have a professional club in Glasgow that unites sane, intelligent, level headed Glaswegians. And they are called, Partick Thistle FC.

Aye, but when did they ever win anything, 1970 aside. I mean a Glasgow team that could take on the best of the best and win. I guess Rangers will have to do it. Sometime.
meltedbloke
QUOTE (Melody @ 30th Mar 2011, 07:54am) *
Did there not used to be a team called Glasgow United?

Indeed, Melody, there once was a wee amateur youth team on the south side of Glasgow called Glasgow United and when I attended Burnbrae Primary it was most of my classmates dream to play for them or Hillwood.

No doubt there'll be no-one else who remembers Glasgow United. I think they might have trained in the Pollok area.

It was in the seventies so mibeees my mind is playing tricks oan me as I get aulder.

dry.gif
tamhickey
I believe Alex McLeish played for a youth team called Rantic; a team whose colours were an amalgam of blue and green and who were set up to attract the best players regardless of support and to integrate the kids into playing the game united under one banner, football. He seems to continue with the mindset, having moved from Birmingham to Aston Villa. Tolerance and respect ought to belong to us all, but the clubs themselves are now big business and they both thrive on our collective differences rather than that which brings us together, the love of the game.
jeep
Jagz1876, do you remember when Jimmy Johnstone [wee jinky] played for Partick Thistle?

Jeep
jeep
I certainly remember hearing about Glasgow United but dont know anything about them.

Jeep
ashfield
Think I saw Glasgow United back in the 60s, they had a few players that were not bad. Like Kenny Dalglish and Vic Davidson mellow.gif
Melody
Well thank you, a' telt ye's that ages ago. rolleyes.gif Wid ye's listen tae a wumman?.......Naw.
hubert
I know there was a Juvenile team called Rancel in Glasgow in the 50s, I served along with a John or sometimes called Jack Ferry, he was in his 5th year and I was in my 3rd year apprenticeship at Singers, John played for them in defense.
Johns sister married Paddy Crerand they were from the gorbals.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 30th Jun 2011, 11:20pm) *
Aye, but when did they ever win anything, 1970 aside. I mean a Glasgow team that could take on the best of the best and win. I guess Rangers will have to do it. Sometime.

Crewsy, i know what you meant, i was just having a laugh. But there is more chance of the Jags winning the Champions League than there is of the Old Firm merging. By the way it was 1971 that we won the League cup, and 1921 we won the SFA Cup, so a cup every 50 years, roll on 2021.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (jeep @ 1st Jul 2011, 07:50am) *
Jagz1876, do you remember when Jimmy Johnstone [ wee jinky] played for Partick Thistle?

Jeep

Hi Jeep, I can't remember Jinky ever playing for us. unless it was one match as part of a testimonial which i don't remember. Can you tell me more about it? I do remember him playing for Dundee though, when Tommy Gemmell was their manager.
jeep
Jagz1876, It was many moons ago 1959--1960 ish.
It was a reserve evening game against Falkirk I think
Jinky was listed as A. N. Other or trialist or something like that.
The crowd were in raptures at his antics and as I left I overheard someone say his name was Johnstone.
I dont know if he played anymore games for Thistle or even wHere he went after that.
I wish I had kept the programme sad.gif

Jeep

JAGZ1876
QUOTE (jeep @ 1st Jul 2011, 07:07pm) *
Jagz1876, It was many moons ago 1959--1960 ish.
It was a reserve evening game against Falkirk I think
Jinky was listed as A. N. Other or trialist or something like that.
The crowd were in raptures at his antics and as I left I overheard someone say his name was Johnstone.
I dont know if he played anymore games for Thistle or even wHere he went after that.
I wish I had kept the programme sad.gif

Jeep

Jeep, i would only have been 2 or 3, at the time, but i have never heard any old timers mention this.
I had jinky in my taxi a couple of times, and talking football with him, he knew i was a jags fan, but he never mentioned that he had a game for us. Thanks for the info though, if he did play, why did we not sign him? Does any older jags fans remember this?
jeep
Jagz, I would love to know also.
Maybe some old timers like me can remember this. smile.gif
Crewsy Fixer
Jagz I knew there was another one sometime but couldnt think what it was, and I dont mean an Old Firm merger, what about the jags and qp, and the exiled bully wee.

There was definitley a Glasgow Amateurs team, I got a trial, I think it was through school or bb.

Melted, I remember a Hill United who had players from Burnbrae in it, the guy who ran it stayed in Elliston Ave I think.

Dunvegan
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 1st Jul 2011, 01:18pm) *
I believe Alex McLeish played for a youth team called Rantic; a team whose colours were an amalgam of blue and green and who were set up to attract the best players regardless of support and to integrate the kids into playing the game united under one banner, football. He seems to continue with the mindset, having moved from Birmingham to Aston Villa. Tolerance and respect ought to belong to us all, but the clubs themselves are now big business and they both thrive on our collective differences rather than that which brings us together, the love of the game.

Too right sectarianism for the sake of money; a sin beyond redemption.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 1st Jul 2011, 03:08am) *

So right the dominance of "the auld firm" was due to the affluence and purchase power of those clubs: an affluence based on rampant sectarian divisions. You would almost get the impression that the owners of these two benighted clubs got their heads together on a regular basis to plan their ascendancy. Let them take pride in their trophies, take real pride in playing the game.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 2nd Jul 2011, 04:00am) *
So right the dominance of "the auld firm" was due to the affluence and purchase power of those clubs: an affluence based on rampant sectarian divisions. You would almost get the impression that the owners of these two benighted clubs got their heads together on a regular basis to plan their ascendancy. Let them take pride in their trophies, take real pride in playing the game.

That is why their called the Old Firm, because they knew they could make themselves vast fortunes by fanning the flames of hatred on both sides.
Crewsy Fixer
I dont like the term "Old Firm" for the reason thats it is, It says we are taking the p***, what you gonny do about it? I know I am being conned when I pay my money at the gate, or direct debit as it is now. I think what I would really like to see is something from Glasgow without financial motive that could say, hey we do know how to play the game, what ye gonny do about it.

Romantic Idealist FC.
hubert
Whats the not liking the term old firm got to do with the Glasgow United thread? LMAO
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (hubert @ 2nd Jul 2011, 11:58pm) *
Whats the not liking the term old firm got to do with the Glasgow United thread? LMAO

You've been too long away Hubert. Come home, and live the experience.
TeeHeeHee
I only remember Westhorn United ...
... but only because my sister played for them when they represented Scotland against England in the first ever (and the 2nd) Ladies International Football in Bellevue Manchester.
Sorry lads - had to get that in (again biggrin.gif )
But maybe that's the answer; Ladies Football. Her team was a mix of Rangers & Celtic supporters who were only interested in the game.
The German ladies team, who managed to get through to the 1/4 finals last week by beating Nigeria, get paid the princely sum of 4000 a month so they are definitely in it for the game 'cos at the moment there's not a lot of dosch after tax and insurance. rolleyes.gif
Crewsy Fixer
Ladies Football isnt the answer. Its an interesting thought to explore though, could a team of Girls surpass all that has gone before in Scottish Football.

A mixed team? Men at the back defending and well up for it woman in attack.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (hubert @ 3rd Jul 2011, 09:58am) *

Probably because there never could or would be a "Glasgow United" or a united Glasgow without eternal and misplaced emotive reference to that tired appelation.
hubert
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 6th Jul 2011, 02:30am) *
Probably because there never could or would be a "Glasgow United" or a united Glasgow without eternal and misplaced emotive reference to that tired appelation.

This maybe so about Glasgow United, however I know there was a team called RANCEL made up of Rangers and Celtic guys from Glasgow in the 50s!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.