Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Five Stones
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Childrens' Comics/Games/Toys
Crewsy Fixer
Does anyone remember playing 5 stones,mostly a boys game. it was 5 wee stones in your hand and they were given a wee toss in the air and you had to catch at least one, then whilst throwing the in hand stones up try to pick up the remainder, there was rules to it but I cant really remember how it went.

Does that ring any bells.
mlconnelly
Ii loved playing 5 stones and I was good at it but tried a few years ago to teach my pals daughter and I was rubbish. Seems I've lost the touch. laugh.gif laugh.gif Mary
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 28th Mar 2011, 11:46pm) *
Ii loved playing 5 stones and I was good at it but tried a few years ago to teach my pals daughter and I was rubbish. Seems I've lost the touch. laugh.gif laugh.gif Mary

Yay, im not alone, but what was the rules, You started off at Wee Onesie and finished at Big fivesy somehow.
penny dainty
other name for it was jacks smile.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 29th Mar 2011, 11:26am) *
other name for it was jacks smile.gif

Yer right "jacks or fivestones" always thought o' it as an American game???? Played it wance as ye culd buy it in a packet wi plastic things an a ba' never thought much o' it since we wis seven an' intae cairds by then.
mlconnelly
Didnt know you could buy them Dunvegan, we always used chucky stones and spent ages picking out just the right ones to play with.
Crewsy, dont think I could explain how to play, its easier to show some one how to play. And even then dont know if I'd be doing it right, its been so long. biggrin.gif Mary
benny
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 29th Mar 2011, 04:27am) *
Yer right "jacks or fivestones" always thought o' it as an American game???? Played it wance as ye culd buy it in a packet wi plastic things an a ba' never thought much o' it since we wis seven an' intae cairds by then.

Far frae bein an American game, ah think the Romans actually played it, or somethin very similar. Aye, ah remember the cards well anaw. 3 card Brag fur "snipes". Nae money involved, if ye lost ye jist got the hard edge o the pack o cards whacked alang yer knucles. Ah wisnae a very good gambler, so merr often than no ah ended up wi bloody knuckles.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 29th Mar 2011, 10:37am) *
... we always used chucky stones and spent ages picking out just the right ones to play with.

That's why the game was known to us as Chuckies and it did take ages to find 5 perfect chucky stanes. tongue.gif laugh.gif
wee davy
QUOTE (benny @ 29th Mar 2011, 10:54am) *
Far frae bein an American game, ah think the Romans actually played it, or somethin very similar. Aye, ah remember the cards well anaw. 3 card Brag fur "snipes". Nae money involved, if ye lost ye jist got the hard edge o the pack o cards whacked alang yer knucles. Ah wisnae a very good gambler, so merr often than no ah ended up wi bloody knuckles.

The Japanese call this game Go-moku (five stones). Curiously, there is also a Roman game called "Five Stones" or pentelitha where pente=five and litha=stones, but Pentelitha has been referred to by many as a game played with tali (astragali or knucklebones). Presumably the "stones" refer to the astragali, although this seems odd -- perhaps "pentetali" would have been the more natural name. The actual evidence for the name pentelitha is not known, but there are MANY examples of it being played in Roman times, shown in sculptures and other works of art

I have to say, I was a CHAMPION at 5 staines. If there wiz a world championship, ah wid uv been the 'undisputed' !! lol laugh.gif
glasgow lass
I thought you weren't bragging for lent >>>>>> davy,
wee davy
ah didnae sae any such thing. lass lol (and anywie, its nuthin but the truth
- so help me! rolleyes.gif
Crewsy Fixer
A 5 stones champion on the board, excellent. If I remember rightly the best 5 stones were to be found in the trench round bowling greens, they were sort of triangular or pyramid shaped.
wee davy
bang on, crewsy - used tae get mine frae maryhill park!
benny
QUOTE (wee davy @ 29th Mar 2011, 01:35pm) *
. . . .I have to say, I was a CHAMPION at 5 staines. If there wiz a world championship, ah wid uv been the 'undisputed' !! lol laugh.gif

Whit a coincidence. A champion 5 stones player an a champion bean bag thrower oan the same messageboard. Ah wis always a dumplin at fitba, so when it came tae pickin the teams at school me an another fitba dumplin were haunded bean bags tae play wi. biggrin.gif
wee davy
Aye, benny - they jist don't know how lucky they urr tae huv us gracing these boards - we could be busy filming the next 'Am a celebrity, git me oot ai here' - or being interviewed oan the Jay Leno show!

Its hard leading a life ai such obscurity and derision - but SOMEBUDDY hiz goat tae dae it ah s'pose.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (benny @ 29th Mar 2011, 07:01pm) *
Whit a coincidence. A champion 5 stones player an a champion bean bag thrower oan the same messageboard. Ah wis always a dumplin at fitba, so when it came tae pickin the teams at school me an another fitba dumplin were haunded bean bags tae play wi. biggrin.gif

Ahem, Champion Kirby player here too. I think there should be a What were you good at section in the Glasgow Memories.

I was brilliant at hide and Seek, I just went home and watched the telly. Until some bright spark seeker came and chapped the door. Is Crewsy in? aye wait and I ll get him. Aw naw maw.
mlconnelly
Chinese ropes and aeroplane beds was my thing. laugh.gif tongue.gif Mary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.