Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Football Banter.
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Crewsy Fixer
I write in response to a prominent football journalist who has far more of a readership than I have. This journalist I speak of, seems to be intent on bringing down Rangers fans, hardly a match report goes by where the "excruciating chants of the Rangers fans". arent mentioned. I would imagine that another e mail is sent to UEFA immediately if not before the match report is filed.

How does the journalist expect Rangers fans to respond to their main rivals. At every Celtic game you will hear The Irish National Anthem, (a fine anthem in my opinion), being sung and not by a small minority. The Celtic fans have their own add on to it, " God bless the pope".

Banter between fans makes a football match, Ive been there, it does, the most mundane wet wednesday night at Dunfermline can be cheered by a bit of risque terracing banter. Why are Aberdeen fans not decried when they sing to Irish national anthem singing Celtic fans, "you're in the wrong effin country". This has never been mentioned in a match report. by the said journalist.

Basic question, whats a non offensive response to nationalistic and religious chants from opposition fans. an easy answer is to ban all nationalistic religious chants. Then we are well on our way to Big Brother.

Even then Rangers will still be the best in Scotland.
hubert
Even admitting theres an element of truth in your post, I still find it directed at pulling down a given journalist, and a element of denial in regards to huge propblems in Scottish fitba over the decades.
I still say Celtic should get to hell out of Scottish fitba and let the morons fend for themselves.
People like you Crewsy Fixer are not just part of the problem, you ARE the problem!
Crewsy Fixer
Element of truth? I will admit to being sick of the finger being pointed at Rangers fans, I would much rather engage in football banter.

I cant just stand by and let it happen/.

GS has clearly set his sights on Rangers fans. I listen to him and read him.

Rangers would live on in scotland without celtic, celtic wouldnt live on in scotland without rangers. Theres an element of truth in that.

PS I have no argument with you personally, I respect your position as a long term poster
zascot
"Rangers would live on in scotland without celtic, celtic wouldnt live on in scotland without rangers. Theres an element of truth in that."

What a load of Crap.
Mathieson
QUOTE (hubert @ 24th Mar 2011, 11:55pm) *
Even admitting theres an element of truth in your post, I still find it directed at pulling down a given journalist, and a element of denial in regards to huge propblems in Scottish fitba over the decades.
I still say Celtic should get to hell out of Scottish fitba and let the morons fend for themselves.
People like you Crewsy Fixer are not just part of the problem, you ARE the problem!

I'd add that hypocritical people like YOU are part of the problem. You are living in denial of the problems that exist within your own fans while merrily blaming the other side for everything.
Crewsy Fixer
And where the hell should Celtic go to? will it be a lock stock and barrel move, stadium uplift ,fans migration, or will it be as it is but playing in another league in an unspecified place.

And yes I do have a bee in my bunnet about the journalist. I have got in touch but there has never been any response to my points.
Dave Grieve
Getting back to the topic of the thread. Football banter
I was at a Dunfermline v Celtic game at East End Park many years ago, where Celtic 1 goal down where doing everything but score.
One of the Celtic players tried a long pass upfield and when the ball landed it must have hit a divot or something because it took of at a skew angle to what was the intended pass.
One of the Celtic fans shouted out "no wonder we cant win the pitch is full of holes" quick as a flash almost as part of the same sentence a Dunfermline fan came back with "aye and their all wearing green and white" you could only laugh.
Incidentally we lost 1-0 Billy McNeil passed a ball back to John Fallon who let it through his legs into the goal
jimmyd
The best example of fast Glasgow wit, was at game where Tiny Wharton the big ref , was bundled over ,and had to go off. No 4th official in those days , so they announce , " is there a SFA Referee in the ground " this wee bunnet , quick as a flash yells oot , ' there's forty odd effin thoosan oh them here ' . It was especially funny to me , as I had only arrived home that day, after years away. I said to masel "och I know I am hame noo for sure.." biggrin.gif
Crewsy Fixer
Good grief!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...olice-1.1092777

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.