Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Europa League League Final
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Crewsy Fixer
There is a possibility that Rangers could be in this seasons Europa League Final, to be held in Dublin. Would that happen, if Rangers did get to the final. My mind boggles at the thought. I dont think that UEFA would allow it, and would change the venue.

Any thoughts.? Me as a Rangers fan has already declared Im not going, and I have been to many places with Rangers.

Try to think only of the actuality rather than the why.

Would UEFA want Rangers to be in any European final, never mind Dublin. That is the question.

Dexter St. Clair
I think you missed out the word slim in your rant. If the Queen can visit Dublin what's your problem?
TeeHeeHee
I remember spending a real peaceful and laugh-a-minute 6 months working in Dublin in the '70s - even sang the "sash" wi' a mate for a laugh (and it got a laugh too).
Two weeks working in Belfast was enough for me to cut my contract short and leave them with their squabbles and divisions where you had to show that you were "one or the other".
Loved Dublin and the Dubliners ... and I'm not a Catholic (or a Prod for that matter).
Crewsy Fixer
I think half a million Rangers fans going to Dublin for a European Final. would be different to a Royal Visit.

Yes its a slim chance, slim chances have succeded before. The discussion may evolve round by round.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 7th Mar 2011, 10:43am) *
There is a possibility that Rangers could be in this seasons Europa League Final, to be held in Dublin. Would that happen, if Rangers did get to the final. My mind boggles at the thought. I dont think that UEFA would allow it, and would change the venue.

Any thoughts.? Me as a Rangers fan has already declared Im not going, and I have been to many places with Rangers.

Try to think only of the actuality rather than the why.

Would UEFA want Rangers to be in any European final, never mind Dublin. That is the question.

It might come as a shock but the Irish do not share the prejudices of the english counties to the north. Nor would the prospect of Rangers playing there ever give them cause for thoughts that were against human decency. This perception is a lie dreamed up by those with a vested interest in hatred and division.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Mar 2011, 10:47pm) *
I remember spending a real peaceful and laugh-a-minute 6 months working in Dublin in the '70s - even sang the "sash" wi' a mate for a laugh (and it got a laugh too).
Two weeks working in Belfast was enough for me to cut my contract short and leave them with their squabbles and divisions where you had to show that you were "one or the other".
Loved Dublin and the Dubliners ... and I'm not a Catholic (or a Prod for that matter).

Same here Tommy loved livin' in Dublin, in the company of Prods, broads, communists, Africans and Jews, sang the sash in a street band and had a great roaring time. In Belfast I was reticent to open my mouth, troubles being on then made it awkward.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 9th Mar 2011, 09:49am) *
It might come as a shock but the Irish do not share the prejudices of the english counties to the north. Nor would the prospect of Rangers playing there ever give them cause for thoughts that were against human decency. This perception is a lie dreamed up by those with a vested interest in hatred and division.

Im talking in terms of numbers, could Dublin cope with it.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 10th Mar 2011, 05:03am) *
Im talking in terms of numbers, could Dublin cope with it.

It copes with more Yankee tourists every year than any Rangers contingent could hope to match.
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 10th Mar 2011, 08:12am) *
It copes with more Yankee tourists every year than any Rangers contingent could hope to match.

Not all at the same time.
Crewsy Fixer
PSV 0-0 Rangers. The thread lives on.

Brace yourself.
Jim D
Unless Belfast empties, then I cannot see as many fans going to Dublin as went to Manchester. Manchester cost very little money-wise. A 300 mile drive - cost shared.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Jim D @ 12th Mar 2011, 04:47am) *
Unless Belfast empties, then I cannot see as many fans going to Dublin as went to Manchester. Manchester cost very little money-wise. A 300 mile drive - cost shared.

Not true mate; I spent an uncomfortable seven hours on a boat from Larne to Stanraer full of Celtic and rangers supporters bound for Glasgow. The train stopped for some reason miles outside Glasgow in the middle of the night and many young Celtic supporters jumped from the train in pure fear of entering Glasgow. There is not great expense in going to Ireland and Rangers supporters would not be in any danger of being accosted. Dublin can well cope with influxes of visitors and at present there would be bargain accommodation and lots of it.
Crewsy Fixer
And they all lived happily ever after.

Ah coulda been a discussion, coulda been a discussion.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 17th Mar 2011, 02:53am) *
Not true mate; I spent an uncomfortable seven hours on a boat from Larne to Stanraer full of Celtic and rangers supporters bound for Glasgow. The train stopped for some reason miles outside Glasgow in the middle of the night and many young Celtic supporters jumped from the train in pure fear of entering Glasgow. There is not great expense in going to Ireland and Rangers supporters would not be in any danger of being accosted. Dublin can well cope with influxes of visitors and at present there would be bargain accommodation and lots of it.

Am I missing something? Why were the Celtic supporters on a train to Glasgow, if they were scared of going there? What did they do after jumping from the train? Bargains in Dublin ???
Crewsy Fixer
I met a guy from Dublin in a pub in Belfast, when I said I came from Glasgow he looked aghast and said, oh I wouldnt go there. I said och you'll be fine, dont go on a Tuesday but, in all seriousness he asked what happens on a Tuesday.
hubert
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 18th Mar 2011, 06:48pm) *
I met a guy from Dublin in a pub in Belfast, when I said I came from Glasgow he looked aghast and said, oh I wouldnt go there. I said och you'll be fine, dont go on a Tuesday but, in all seriousness he asked what happens on a Tuesday.

And was your answer, "the same that happens any other day"? laugh.gif
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (hubert @ 18th Mar 2011, 08:06pm) *
And was your answer, "the same that happens any other day"? laugh.gif

Told him that was Giro day. I had to explain what Giro was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.