Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Olympics
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
wee davy
Click to view attachment

Consumate Tory, Sebastian Coe, announced with some glee the other day, that over 1/4 of a million people have volunteered for 'duty' with the professionals. Now whilst I am not able bodied and somewhat limited in what I can 'bring to the party' - there is NOTHING defective (yet) regards my cerebral functions! (OK OK I hear you say - there IS some dispute with that haha)

Needless to say, I haven't even had a 'thanks for applying' even although I know for a fact, 75k of those volunteers have now been chosen - 75% of them 'Londoners' I believe (now there's a real surprise not - lol)

I don't really know why I bothered applying in the first place except I felt I still had something to 'offer'.

Truth is - when the tasks were eventually offered - the categories offered were almost WHOLLY restricted to able bodied, fit individuals, who were willing to accept the more mundane, and most physical of 'lower tier' jobs.

Now, all this may sound like sour grapes but it would have been nice, to have felt as if there were at least a 'hope in hell's' chance!

Oh well - I will just settle down - in front of the gogglebox once again - just as I did in 1960, when the Rome Olympics took place - where I saw a young boxer, called Cassius Clay, announce to the world, his ability to one day, become The Greatest - by winning the light middleweight gold medal. The now much revered, Muhammed Ali.

My admiration for people who take part in these extravaganza's, is as keen as it ever was.
Good Luck to ALL our home countries efforts - in becoming Olympic Champions - Looking forward to it, as much as ever - even if Lord Coe could'nt give a stuff if I'm one of the 1/4 of a million LOL

Click to view attachment

WEE DAVY
wee davy
Tickets will be on sale for the 2012 Olympics from the 15th of March, for SIX WEEKS ONLY and you must be registered with the 2012 site, to apply and stand any chance of aquiring any.

For those of you who have probably heard in the media of astronomical prices - this is probably for the most part, true - however I've reviewed the pdf file, and you could probably DIY a little visit for two, for less than 500 all in - so - my advice is - don't let it put you off applying for tickets.
If you know someone who lives in or around London, so much the better.

After the end of April you can GUARANTEE you won't get affordable tickets for love nor money, ANYWHERE.
bilbo.s
Davy,

Do you not realize that London is the most important place in the world- nay, it is the epicentre of the world - nay again, it IS the world. Ask anyone there. They will not comprehend the question, mind you. It is a bit like religion I guess. smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
I know I'll get shot down by the PC brigade but I have to ask what good would non-able-bodied, or disabled persons, be at such an event; other than for selling hot-dogs or programs?
Elma
Do you not remember the Disabled Olympics which took place almost immediately after the Vancouver Winter Olympics a year ago?
TeeHeeHee
I'm not on about the events. I'm thinking more of disabled people helping out among throngs of thousands of people on the move.
Elma
OK, point taken.
TeeHeeHee
I used to visit Stoke Mandeville; the birthplace of the Para-Olympic games, when I was in RAF Chessington being treated for a crushed spine and broken neck Elma, in 1968, so although I may sometimes appear heartless, I'm not really. biggrin.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (Elma @ 23rd Feb 2011, 09:50am) *
Do you not remember the Disabled Olympics which took place almost immediately after the Vancouver Winter Olympics a year ago?

They take place after every olympics now Elma. The Chinese are great supporters of this institution as are the Australian sporting fraternity public and government. The Para Olyimpics are always broadcast on TV. here and are a very much established part of sporting life.
Dunvegan
Ever notice that when a Scot wins an Olympic gold medal or any other international award he or she has Britishness conferred upon them. When an English person wins anything they remain as always English.
TeeHeeHee
"For George and England"
"No' this time Jimmy. it's Team GB ya Bam." tongue.gif laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The Union flag without St George ... looks rather nice old boy. biggrin.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...ney-Adidas.html
Rab-oldname
Her in the middle? Is she in the Navy - or have flares come back in?

What a grumpy looking bunch! Maybe they weren't getting paid?
mlconnelly
Her in the middle is Stella McCartney, daughter of Paul. tongue.gif
zascot
what sport does she participate in? Or is she just a hanger on.
mlconnelly
She's one of the latest big things in fashion design and has designed the new Team GB sports kit. Can't say I'm very impressed by her design. Its supposed to be based on the Union flag but there has been some complaints already concerning the lack of red in the kit. Mary unsure.gif
wee davy
Unless I've suddenly gone colour blind, I do believe there is a red band around the top of the top, and again around the top of the shorts. I like it AND the fact that the athletes had their own input for a change.
TeeHeeHee
I'm very impressed with the design. The Union flag is apparent but not in your face. There will be enough Union Jacks all over London during this time so a more subtle look on the field of play is both an artistic and fashion statement. I think Stella McCartney has shown her colours as a fashion designer. wink.gif
mlconnelly
I dont particularly like the new kit but I agree that it is quite subtle. I think there is enough red in the kit (track shoes/trainers are to be red as are the socks) to pay homage to the Union Flag but I think the people (English) who complained think its too blue. Mary
wombat
QUOTE (Rab @ 22nd Mar 2012, 10:32pm) *
Her in the middle? Is she in the Navy - or have flares come back in?

What a grumpy looking bunch! Maybe they weren't getting paid?

tongue.gif aye rab"bitta her on de end no looka too bad eh!?

blush.gif why dis the big guy oan the left of fotie look like he's pished himself ?

GG
Fixture list for London 2014 games in Glasgow, released yesterday:

Men's competition

Thursday, July 26
Hampden Park, Glasgow: Spain v Japan (1200).
Hampden Park, Glasgow: Honduras v Morocco (1445).

Wednesday, August 1
Hampden Park, Glasgow: Egypt v Belarus (1430).

Women's competition:

Wednesday, July 25
Hampden Park, Glasgow: United States v France (1700).
Hampden Park, Glasgow: Colombia v North Korea (1945).

Saturday, July 28
Hampden Park, Glasgow: United States v Colombia (1700).
Hampden Park, Glasgow: France v North Korea (1945).

Friday, August 3
Hampden Park, Glasgow: Quarter-final (1200).

GG.
beth
At least their kit has been designed by a Brit and, I hope, made in Britain. For South Africa, it's pay-back time. The South African kit was made in CHINA!!Our rag trade is in a real sad decline and they outsource the Olympic kit to their old allies, CHINA!
wee davy
Jist hud a look at the offishul merchandising shop, last night (honestly, hid NUTHIN better tae dae lol)

Now correct me if I'm wrong - but these games are taking place over our 'peak' summer season, yeah?
If Seb Coe and Co (get it ? wink.gif understood whit kind of weather we COULD have - why haven't they put more coats and jackets up for sale???

How many have they got? WAN,... Aye, thats right,... WAN!
Am missing something here.
Perhaps their expecting red hot sunshine and a hosepipe ban (oh, thats right,... they've already got wan ai them in place lol)

wee davy
bilbo.s
Just read that the estimated cost of this farce has jumped to 24 billion - 10 times the 2005 estimate.
80 million fence, aircraft carrier in the Thames, ground to air missiles on council flat roofs, massive deployment of troops and police, chaos at airports etc. I read a comment that all this is just so some eejits can run round in circles, throw metal balls in the air (as well as spears), and jump into kids´sandpits. I am strongly inclined to agree !
wee davy
Are you suggesting that the LONDON Olympics is about LONDON, bilbo?

Could it be about 'vested interests'?

hmm lets think about that one for a second.

Am I still angry London was chosen for 'OUR' Olympics? You betcha.
The rest of the country gets the scraps,... yet again - whilst the 1% make VAST sums of extra shamolies.

Never mind - at least Scotland might be able tae put in for a bid. Say 2112?? lol

PS Bet you at least 18 billion is already recovered by the fat cats.
Executive flats (Olympic Village) etc
bilbo.s
I am suggesting that the whole Olympic fiasco is just that - no matter where it might be held. I do not think I will be alone in avoiding watching any of these bizarre activities.
wee davy
Ach,... ah can see that trip tae Turkey has'nt done anything fer yer grumps laugh.gif

Nice tae hiv ye back bilbo.
I reckon you'll be taking a sneak peek noo and again lol laugh.gif
Scotsman
You just really have to wonder where all that money actually goes.... I mean how much does it take to organise events.... 24000000000?? Its an incredible waste of money when we are all being told the country is skint.

I read in the papers this week that almost all the tickets for the Hampden football matches have not been sold.... can you imagine anyone wanting to pay 40 to see a womens match between Colombia and Korea??
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wee davy @ 11th May 2012, 01:00pm) *
Ach,... ah can see that trip tae Turkey has'nt done anything fer yer grumps laugh.gif

Nice tae hiv ye back bilbo.
I reckon you'll be taking a sneak peek noo and again lol laugh.gif

You reckon wrong, Davy lad. I admit to being disinterested in sport in general, but , even if I were an aficionado, nothing could justify this enormous waste of resources in the name of an Olympic spirit which does not exist.
Jupiter
The last time I watched the Olympics was in 1964 Tokyo Games and the only reason was that I liked the Olympic Theme tune.I have taken great care over the years to avoid them at all costs.In fact I used to break out in a cold sweat when I saw a pair of trainers.
rolleyes.gif
angel

I read that the winter olympics' which was held in Vancouver 2010,
will cost the taxpayer $1.5 Billion eg if they are lucky , costs are still comming in and could well reach , $5. Billion .
I'm not against the Olympics , just the cost . but I suppose every Tom ,Dick or Harry has to get in there and make a finiancial killing.
angel
QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 04:50pm) *
will cost the taxpayer $1.5 Billion eg if they are lucky , costs are still comming in and could well reach , $5. Billion .
I'm not against the Olympics , just the cost . but I suppose every Tom ,Dick or Harry has to get in there and make a finiancial killing.

I was'nt allowed to edit the word " financial '
angel
Hello Scotsman ,
do you think that anyone would be interested in paying 40 pounds
to see the womens olympic soccer game if it was two different teams ?
-----------------------------------

You just really have to wonder where all that money actually goes.... I mean how much does it take to organise events.... 24000000000?? Its an incredible waste of money when we are all being told the country is skint.

I read in the papers this week that almost all the tickets for the Hampden football matches have not been sold.... can you imagine anyone wanting to pay 40 to see a womens match between Colombia and Korea??
angel
QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 05:33pm) *
I was'nt allowed to edit the word " financial '

QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 04:50pm)

Just to clarify , the monies I've stated are what the taxpayer still owes for the games .

[edit] Security CostsC$200 million was expected to be spent for security, which was organized through a special body, the Integrated Security Unit, of which the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) was the lead agency; other government agencies such as the Vancouver Police Department, Canada Border Services Agency, Canadian Forces, and police agencies across Canada. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) also played a role. That number was later revealed to be in the region of $1 billion, an amount in excess of five times what was originally estimated.

TeeHeeHee
When the Olympic Games become grounds for a full force Military Exercise over the Capital City then it must be about time to snuff the Torch and call it a day.
On the other hand, of course, it's a good opportunity to conduct a military exercise without causing a diplomatic incident.
As for the cost involved, we mustn't forget that we pay for our military whether it is being exercised or not, so adding the cost of such to the overall cost of the Olympics is an excercise in itself.
Still, as I said, when security for The Games involve Army, Navy and Air Force then it's time to reconsider if it's worth the risk to the lives of all concerned to watch, as Bill says, some big hefty lassies heavin' a metal ball through the air.
One consideration might be an audience-free Games on television and iPads etc with apps at 10 quid ( s or $s) a napper and Tshirts and souveniers on eBay etc..
wee davy
As one board member who is hoping to be there (God willing) on the penultimate night watching the Boxing Finals, I am happy to put on record, any opportunity to put two fingers up to the terrorists, is alright by me.

OK it IS sad we need all this extra security these days - but the alternative is "you win nasty terrorists" - we wouldn't have ANY large events if they were to have their way.

Of course I sincerely hope they do not target the venue for the boxing!

PS The monies is meant to be 'costing' has to balanced against all the money London will be making. THAT final figure will NEVER be known.
Look at that monstrosity of a tower which Boris has decided to charge 15 a throw for.
London will be taking a HUGE slice of the kickback cake - whilst everyone else gets the scraps - as per usual.
bilbo.s
I think you are wrong ( what´s new ?), Davy. The terrorists do not have to plant a bomb, or do anything else - they have won, i.e. they have instilled terror, when citizens of UK have to live in what is rapidly becoming a police state.

Also, the cost (and it is a cost) is borne by all UK taxpayers, and very few, including ordinary Londoners will benefit.
wee davy
I will admit they've won a few battles - but they will NEVER win the WAR.

This is still a 'free' country.
Long may it be so.

(Well, free - up to a point lol see other threads!)
bilbo.s
Try entering UK and see how free it feels. I just did it twice within 2 weeks and I didn´t even want to enter, just change planes.
wee davy
Thankfully I dont have to tongue.gif

Haven't done any 'jet setting' for some time, bilbo - but I do recall having to queue for four hours, to get into Fort Lauderdale, last time! Something we cannot avoid, these days, sadly sad.gif
Jupiter
Im sure our many members will be overcome with emulsion watching the Olympic bigwigs on the One Show down at Cornwall.The Torch is lit.70 days to go.Yawn!!
It is an English show, no two ways.
JAGZ1876
If the torch was to pass by my house i wouldn't get out of my chair to watch it.

It is coming through Beith though, they had better take care whist coming through Ayrshire, even Santas parades get ambushed by neds in these parts.
wee davy
lol they need to watch out for the 'Beith Bully Boys' eh, jagz? laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th May 2012, 01:42pm) *
lol they need to watch out for the 'Beith Bully Boys' eh, jagz? laugh.gif

There is a high wall about 60ft where a lot of neds gather in Beith to throw cans, bottles, and stones etc, at passing vehicles, i think this will be an ideal position to ambush the torch, yes i can see it now, a group of about a dozen neds armed with super soakers, that should be enough to extinguish the flame, i may go into the loft and find one of my kids old soakers and join in.......naw on second thoughts i'm too old to run away, i'll easily get caught by the polis biggrin.gif
GG
Apparently, tickets went on sale yesterday for the London 2012 Olympic football games at Hampden Park. Anyone fancy paying up to 40 to watch women's football: Colombia v Korea DPR?

Glasgow City Council released a statement to coincide with the ticket release; the statement said, and I kid you not: "Hampden Park will play host to some of the world's best men's and women's [football] teams over five days of exciting competition".

GG.
GG
A motion filed at Holyrood today over the Hampden Olympic Saltire ban:
*S4M-03130 Kenneth Gibson

The Saltire Should Fly over Hampden during the Olympics

That the Parliament strongly disagrees with the International Olympic Committee’s ban on flying the Saltire over Hampden Park during the 2012 Olympics; highlights that Scotland’s national flag flies above Hampden for 365 days of the year and believes that it has the right to remain flying proudly during the eight Olympic football matches to be played in Scotland’s national stadium; agrees with Alyn Smith MEP when he states that "The Olympic Games is one of the biggest events in world sport and should be a real festival of global culture and achievement and international companionship. It’s completely ridiculous and unacceptable that Scotland’s national flag is going to be pulled down from its iconic place flying over Scotland’s national stadium”, and looks forward to Scotland competing in the 2016 Olympics in its own right as an independent nation.

GG.
GG
Saltire ban lifted:
The saltire flag will be allowed to fly over Scotland's national football stadium during the London Olympics, games bosses have confirmed.

The move came after they previously said it could not be flown over Hampden, which is hosting some Olympic 2012 football matches. ...

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18294786

GG.
GG
QUOTE (GG @ 25th May 2012, 12:28am) *
Apparently, tickets went on sale yesterday for the London 2012 Olympic football games at Hampden Park. Anyone fancy paying up to 40 to watch women's football: Colombia v Korea DPR?

Glasgow City Council released a statement to coincide with the ticket release; the statement said, and I kid you not: "Hampden Park will play host to some of the world's best men's and women's [football] teams over five days of exciting competition".

Published today:
Slow 2012 Olympic football ticket sales in Glasgow

Last week it emerged that around three-quarters of the tickets for the Olympic football matches taking place at Hampden remained unsold, with only a month-and-a-half left to sell the remaining 150,000 tickets.

From 25 July, Glasgow will host a number of Olympic Football matches as part of the London 2012 Olympics, but ticket sales suggest that the Scots have yet to get fully behind the events themselves. Glasgow’s Council Leader Gordon Matheson has claimed that Glaswegians were ‘excited’ by the prospect of the Games coming to the city, and vowed that the stadium would be a sell-out for each of the matches. ...

Full story here:
http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2012/06/05/s...den-be-sell-out

GG.
GG
The torch is carried through Glasgow today:
Glasgow won't stand on ceremony for the flame

I'm guessing the torchbearers will enjoy the trip through Glasgow – people will look on, cheer and be friendly, because we like to make an occasion of an occasion and to put on a good show, whether we're pressing directions on tourists, pressing conversation on the withdrawn, or hosting events like the 1888 Great Exhibition, the 1988 Garden Festival, or the long arty party that was the 1990 Year of Culture.

Of course, if you want Glaswegians to stand on ceremony about the relay, that won't happen. Native and adopted, Glaswegians live in a city of comedians, patter and fast comebacks. Despite remarkable levels of poverty and suffering, the city has embraced both the older Scottish tradition of mass learning and the Very Old Labour love of self-education. ...

Full story here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/0...e?newsfeed=true

GG.
Melody
I think this kind of sums it up Martin, Glaswegians are not easily impressed, respect has to be earned. We don't stand on ceremony easily.

Also from the excellent Guardian article

"Perhaps they should just think of the path the torch travels through the city. It will have known revolutionary demonstrators, carnivals, peace protests, sectarian marchers, football supporters, regiments marching to foreign wars, pipe bands, trams, hogmanay kisses, armies of workers for the empire, armies of the unemployed, tobacco lords, neds and women off to the steamie. It will have known a great deal and survived nonetheless."
ashfield
Och, I've got a torch of my own yes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.