Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got This Email Today. Agree?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Rab-oldname
We're "broke" & can't help: -
Our own Senior Citizens,
Our own deserving Troops,
Our Orphans,
And the Homeless
etc . . . etc. . . etc. . .

In the last month alone we have provided aid to: -

Haiti - again!,
Chile ,
Turkey ,
Greece ,
Pakistan - again. .. .
amongst others

Our pensioners are living on a 'fixed income'
Receive no aid, or get any breaks, while our
government and religious organizations pour

Hundreds of Millions of 's
And Tons of Food
ALL to Foreign Countries!

We have thousands of adoptable children who are shoved aside
WHY . . . .
To make room for the adoption of foreign orphans!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Britain - a country where we have: -
Homeless without shelter,
Children and adults going to bed hungry,
Elderly going without 'needed' medication,
The mentally ill without treatment -etc,etc.

YET...................

They are requesting donations for the people of Pakistan . . .
A country that trains British Muslim extremists
how to BOMB & KILL us!!!!
A country that ploughs millions into its nuclear programme!!!
A country with hundreds of millionaires who do sod all
for THEIR own countrymen!!!.
The same country that has passed laws so these
rich people don't pay ANY taxes!!!
The same country where most of the aid sent
DOES NOT reach the ones in need!!!

...and we have - Yet AGAIN . .
TV stations that are spouting WE are letting these people down!!!
Whilst OUR ships And OUR planes
(laughably some are Military ones)
All lined up to fly and crammed full with:
Our food . .
Our Bottled Water!!! . .
Our New Tents . .
Our New Clothes . . .
Our New Bedding . . ..
OUR NHS Doctors & Nurses
And OUR medical supplies . .
Whilst UK cancer patients are denied life saving drugs!!!
And some of our OWN - from children to pensioners -
go to bed hungry!!!

Imagine if the *GOVERNMENT* gave 'US'
The same support they give to other countries.
Sad isn't it?

99% of people won't have the guts to forward this.

I Just Did!
weeshuggie
Here's whit's wrong wae Ireland, we gied them a right good wedge, how come they don't get a mention and Greece does.

I agree with the adoptable children, anyone can have mine!
Dylan
"99% of people won't have the guts to forward this. "

I did not and it has nothing to do with guts.!
auldbutcher
I have been rantin and ravin aboot this damn injustice fer ages noo and no just since the Tories got in ,every topic you have high lighted i think i have raised in numerous different posts since being on gg.

And then there was the keech aboot not mentioning christmas and other such christian festival's fer why ? in case you upset the muslims ,i'm a Brit who seved his country worked hard all my life peyed my ,tax , insurance ,etc and by jasus Christo i'm bluddy upset .

Great post Rab seems the likes o you an me are handicapped were Brits . mad.gif rolleyes.gif
benny
Ah don't think it's a matter of havin the guts tae forward it, it's a matter of havin the wits no tae forward it.

This email is thinly veiled racism masquerading as righteous indignation.
ashfield
Spot on Benny although I'm not so sure about the "thinly veiled" bit.

If any crap like this passes my way (which would be unlikely from any of my friends) it gets deleted.
Rab-oldname
What has foreign 'aid' got to do with race? Or are we now 'racially' opposed to Haitians, Greeks, Chileans, Turks etc.
The thrust of this crap is about a waste of our money! Would anyone like to comment on it?
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (benny @ 18th Jan 2011, 07:25pm) *
This email is thinly veiled racism masquerading as righteous indignation.

How do you know that Benny - did you write it?
benny
QUOTE (Rab @ 18th Jan 2011, 08:16pm) *
What has foreign 'aid' got to do with race?

Ah wid've thought the "foreign" bit might hiv been a clue. Most foreginers urnae British.
Heather
I certainly agree with it and would forward it. Everything mentioned in it is true, so how can anyone deny what is common knowledge.

Those who don't agree, need to read their newspapers and listen to the news and get a reality check. To deny what is going on in this Country is to deny reality.

Men and women fought and died to keep Britain British, but can we honestly say our Country is still Great Britain and the previous Government as well as the current one cares about the indigenous British.

I mentioned on another Thread about the almost 16,000 foreign students who are in Scottish Universities taken advantage of the free University Education in Scotland.

Is this fair to the taxpayers of this Country???

Foreign student costs soar 275%

The cost of teaching foreign students has almost quadrupled as Scotland struggles to cope with a massive influx from the EU in the last decade.

New figures reveal that the number of EU students enrolled at Scotland's universities has almost doubled since 2001.

Education Secretary Mike Russell has called on the European Union (EU) to find a way around a regulation that forces Scotland to pay the fees of EU nationals from outside the UK. Last year saw a record intake of EU students who now cost Scottish taxpayers 75 million to educate, compared to 20 million 10 years ago - a rise of 275%.
-on-year.

The number of EU students increased by 17%, from 13,585 to 15,930. This is an increase of 94% on 2000/01 when 8,195 EU students came to Scotland. In contrast the number of EU students attending English institutions increased by only 6% between 2008/09 and 2009/10.

http://breakingnews.heraldscotland.com/bre...11294934727628A
Jim D
I think the email is a load of junk and should be treated as such!

Do you give money to people begging on the street in Glasgow? They are better off than the poor victims of disasters etc.

To compare our lifestyle with those of the people on the third world countries is crazy. Most of the countries mentioned fought with "Great Britain". Pakistan helps on the war against terrorism. Chile are allies in the event of another invasion of the Falklands. Turkey are also allies against terrorism, being on the border of Afghanistan.

We are definitely rich in comparison to to many countries in this world so we should try and help at time of disaster.
angel
Jim,I think so too, it's a case of you scratch our backs ,we'll scratch yours.
it's the same policy all over the world, and " delete the Email"
TeeHeeHee
... or remove all the email addresses that are already on it before mailing it further.
I get lots of these mails containing the saddest or most patriotic messages and most of them have as much as 100 and more eMail addresses available for use in the transmittion of trojans and spam.
Do me a favour, don't send it to me.
Dunvegan
"Patriotism sir! patriotism is the last resort of a scoundrel!"
Dr Samuel Johnson.
so's 'emailing racist attacks on the starving and the unfortunate.
Bad Billy.
Jim D
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 19th Jan 2011, 01:16am) *
... or remove all the email addresses that are already on it before mailing it further.
I get lots of these mails containing the saddest or most patriotic messages and most of them have as much as 100 and more eMail addresses available for use in the transmittion of trojans and spam.
Do me a favour, don't send it to me.

That is my pet hate - emails that have been forwarded loads of time and all the email addresses are still attached!

The one I received the other day was the old one about Starbuck refusing to donate coffee to American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Why? They only donate to charities! The serviceman who was refused a donate was sent a detailed policy of how they make donation and was more that satisfied by their reply.

Is that enough? No. People then send the the email 1000 times around the World!
bilbo.s
I reckon the Starbucks story was made up by someone who reckons their product is a tad overpriced.

I forward many items daily (mostly jokes) and always take care to remove previous recipients and to use the Bcc box.
Rab-oldname
I used this email as a thread starter and added the word 'Agree?' How I received the email is irrelevant to my question. In fact, it was sent to me by an individual with no previous addresses included and the sender asked me as I have asked this forum - 'Agree'. Most replies, so far are critical of these emails, as am I. I delete such emails and never forward them as is my wont. The fact that I have shown the email on here was to try and start a debate on foreign aid, which, in these times of financial insecurity seems way out of proportion to what this country can afford. I was brought up to give to others in need, which I have always done on a personal level, but with full consideration as to what I could afford to give. To give an example - I understand from the records of the Department for International Development (DFID) that the budget for aid for 2009/10 amounted to 6.8bn which was in the region of 7 times the NHS deficit of 1.3bn in 2009. Is this an improper way of using taxpayers money or not?
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Rab @ 19th Jan 2011, 07:07pm) *
I used this email as a thread starter and added the word 'Agree?' How I received the email is irrelevant to my question. In fact, it was sent to me by an individual with no previous addresses included and the sender asked me as I have asked this forum - 'Agree'. Most replies, so far are critical of these emails, as am I. I delete such emails and never forward them as is my wont. The fact that I have shown the email on here was to try and start a debate on foreign aid, which, in these times of financial insecurity seems way out of proportion to what this country can afford. I was brought up to give to others in need, which I have always done on a personal level, but with full consideration as to what I could afford to give. To give an example - I understand from the records of the Department for International Development (DFID) that the budget for aid for 2009/10 amounted to 6.8bn which was in the region of 7 times the NHS deficit of 1.3bn in 2009. Is this an improper way of using taxpayers money or not?

PS : Foreign Aid is a government policy. Disaster relief is financed entirely differently.
wee davy
hmmm had to think a wee bit oan this wan.

I think it irrelevant how it 'appeared' - Rab chose to print its content, and I for one am glad he did.
It's good to discuss these things, as they ARE relevant - and affect each and every one of us. (whether you like it, or not)
Our government cannot 'slavishly' donate huge aid sums to the rest of the world on our behalf, whilst we haven't got our own house in order. Natural disasters, however, WHEREVER they occur, should ALWAYS get a response
(IMO).
When people stop dying behind closed doors from malnutrition and inadequate heating in the UK - THATS the day we can take care of the rest of the world. Then, and only then - IMO.

It does have racial undertones - but it so happens those who are often in greatest trouble, happen to be FOREIGN - and I happen to think we all put our hands in our pockets, willingly, and often - without the automatic help we appear to dish out, to certain countries.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Rab @ 19th Jan 2011, 07:07pm) *
Is this an improper way of using taxpayers money or not?

Aye its improper an a right scunner given the mess this goverment says this country is in. Charity starts at hame, sort oor ain mess out then in better time help oot.

Ah wonder if the boot was on the other foot would we receive anything from the countries we pour aid into, somehow ah doobt it very much. But thats us "Brits."
Heather
How much of the Aid given by Britain actually reaches the people it was intended for.

Anyone watching the News on TV last week would have seen Haiti is no better off this year than it was last year.
So where did all the money given by Britain go, and who benefited from it???

British government trebles aid to Haiti15:01, January 19, 2010

The British government is trebling the amount of aid being provided to Haiti following last week's earthquake, the prime minister's office announced on Monday.

The total sum will rise from the 6.1 million pounds (10 million U.S. dollars) announced on Thursday to 18.4 million pounds (30 million dollars) following assessments of the scale of the disaster by the Department of International Development officials.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Monday that he was determined to make sure the aid effort was properly coordinated on the ground.
weeshuggie
QUOTE (Jim D @ 18th Jan 2011, 10:50pm) *
I
To compare our lifestyle with those of the people on the third world countries is crazy. Most of the countries mentioned fought with "Great Britain". Pakistan helps on the war against terrorism. Chile are allies in the event of another invasion of the Falklands. Turkey are also allies against terrorism, being on the border of Afghanistan.

We are definitely rich in comparison to to many countries in this world so we should try and help at time of disaster.

Chile Turkey Greece and indeed an nuclear armed country like Pakistan cannot be classed as third world countries.

As for Chile being allies in the Falklands, we rewarded them by banging up Pinochet when he came to Britain.
Pakistan produces the majority of Islamic extremists and we import them and feed, clothe and house them.
Greece are a bunch of bone idle layabouts who expect us to fund them retiring a decade before we do.
Turkey has a horrendous human rights record and should never be classed as anyone's ally.

It's ridiculous that if you agree with helping our own citizens before funding these dictatorships and bone idle countries then you get smeared as racist. This has been the same routine in every debate on such subjects. The facts are always clouded by unfounded accusations of racism.

Unemployment now 2.5 million ask them if they want all this money shipped out or used to create jobs for people born, bred and contributing here. People dying because the NHS has not got enough money to keep wards open. Ask those people if they would rather export this money to foreign climes.
Ask the homeless and those living in squalor, ask the people who have nothing to look forward to if they agree, ask the people of Britain who are suffering from one disaster of a government after another. Do they want to see more money going abroad or spent here. Ask the parents and the students if they are pissed off that foreign students come to Scotland and the taxpayer funds them, meanwhile I have to pay for my children to go to University. Yes I am sick to the back teeth of spongers, parasites and bone idle Shirley Valentines receiving my money while I have to watch the people who work and contribute being robbed of even more money to pay for the profligacy of a previous mad man in the Treasury.

If that is racist then I'LL BE PROUD TO SAY I'M RACIST !!!!!!
Rab-oldname
Check out the 'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan project' report!

http://journal.probeinternational.org/2010...st-foreign-aid/
auldbutcher
Jasus the bleedin hearts are havin a field day wie this wan slag the government fer given aid tae Pakistan a country that shields and encourages terrorism and your a racist ,the boy david while hoden an open razor tae oor throats i.e vat increases petrol increases ,which all put the price o food through the roof while handing oot billions as he has all ready did tae help 3rd world countrys does the bampot no realise we are a third world country slipping in tae the fourth division.

Food , energy, council tax is going through the roof while this clown lavishes all sorts o millions on foreign relief ,what i wonder will the auld age pension increase be, quids in it isnae gonna be on a parr wie inflation ,but why bother the auld are by there sell by date nae chance o screwing any mair tax ,oota them ,and they have done there bit fer king an country canny pit them back in uniform an ship there erses aff tae Afghanistan ,so well just keep them on the bread line few mair will snuff it but whit the hell make room fer the thousands o immigrants that flood in an bleed the benefit system dry ye coodnae make it up .

Me am an auld guy but i worry aboot the state o this country ,my children and grandchildren will have tae live in this hellish society ,just hope some o my granweans think aboot emigration .

The thing is the people govern us noo were brought up wie a silver spoon in there mouths nae idea of what life is about ,hence the steep rise in vat ,the petrol prices goin through the roof ,guess whit folks there latest brain wave we will give new fathers months aff work thus sending small firms even deeper intae debt.

I said it afore and i say it agin there will be blood shed on the streets.

So far the coasts o oor nation are gonna be hazard risks tae o
oor fishing fleet ,customs are being cut tae the bone we can expect the drug community to multiply which in turn will lead tae a rise in the over the top crime rate that we endure at this moment ,wonders how many more auld women will be mugged fer the price o a deal .

Jasus wept.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Heather @ 19th Jan 2011, 08:09pm) *
How much of the Aid given by Britain actually reaches the people it was intended for.

Anyone watching the News on TV last week would have seen Haiti is no better off this year than it was last year.
So where did all the money given by Britain go, and who benefited from it???

British government trebles aid to Haiti15:01, January 19, 2010

The British government is trebling the amount of aid being provided to Haiti following last week's earthquake, the prime minister's office announced on Monday.

The total sum will rise from the 6.1 million pounds (10 million U.S. dollars) announced on Thursday to 18.4 million pounds (30 million dollars) following assessments of the scale of the disaster by the Department of International Development officials.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Monday that he was determined to make sure the aid effort was properly coordinated on the ground.

Heather. A very comprehensive report by Dr Peter Boone of the London School of Economics and Centre for Economic Performance stated, and I quote
' Aid does not significantly increase imvestment and growth, nor benefit the poor as measured by improvements in human development indicators, but it does increase the size of government'
Doesn't sound like value for money to me! We are therefore wasting money we can ill-afford to give in such vast amounts for very little or no return.
If your bank account is in the red, you have absolutely no right to give away your overdraft - especially when you will never get it back! This is bad enough practice when its your own overdraft, but when it is the publics' overdraft, its criminal.
Heather
Shuggie, Butch & Rab, are we the only one's who read and listen to the news, or are we the GG racists????
Rab-oldname
Not only do we give them aid, we don't even supervise its use when it gets there!

http://www.probeinternational.org/foreign-...a-education-aid

Heather, racism, racist, what have these words got to do with proper budgeting of public money by government which is apparently wasted in FOREIGN COUNTRIES? Absolutely nothing! .
Heather
Rab, I think that report could be applied to almost every Country we finance.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Heather @ 19th Jan 2011, 11:13pm) *
Rab, I think that report could be applied to almost every Country we finance.

It wouldn't surprise me! sad.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 19th Jan 2011, 05:31pm) *
I reckon the Starbucks story was made up by someone who reckons their product is a tad overpriced.

I forward many items daily (mostly jokes) and always take care to remove previous recipients and to use the Bcc box.

I know tongue.gif
Thanks mate wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 19th Jan 2011, 09:13pm) *
... guess whit folks there latest brain wave we will give new fathers months aff work

This has been the norm in Germany and other Euro-lands for a long time.
It applies when both parents are workin' so that the mother can return to work shortly after the baby is born and the father can have the 1st 18 months playing den mother and havin' a better chance at bonding with the new child.
Child allowance is also very high over here, Both these factors help in encouraging couples to have more children ... meaning less need for immigrant work forces in the future.
I think it's called planning ahead.
angel
parental leave has been the norm here for a very long time including paternal....
the leave I understand comes under the unemployment act and depends on how long you have benn employed by your employer at that time.
Regarding population growth this leave plus the child allowance has'nt done anything to increase
the size of the family unit.
weeshuggie
before ye aw go off at a tangent and leave the thread behind, this parental leave is shared, the missus gets it but if she feels like going back to work, the old man can fill his boots. It is still the same maternity leave, it is just shared.
If you think you really want to traverse that road then.....try drugs first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (weeshuggie @ 20th Jan 2011, 12:14am) *
before ye aw go off at a tangent ...
If you think you really want to traverse that road then.....try drugs first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried it.
The misses won't share and said 18 month is too long for me rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
weeshuggie
Ah would rather do 18 months thh than go through the trials and tribulations of having any more weans.

Dave Grieve
No Heather, you, Shuggie, Butch, Rab and myself are not the GG racists we are the board realists.
Nowhere on that email does it mention race it does mention Chile populated by people that have a large percentage that are of European descent, it mentions Greece 100% European, is the composer of the email being racialist toward Europeans or is a figment of the imagination of the people who would delete the email?
A few years ago Mozambique next door to us was hit by bad floods, Who gave the most aid? it was South Africans but the difference was we know Africa and the aid that was donated was taken into the country by South African charities and reached the people who needed it, the aid donated by outside countries like the UK and USA was sent in by containers and it is estimated 60% was hijacked and sold on the black market.
I grew up in Kyle st in the Toonheid and the one thing that has always stayed in my mind was that nobody in that street had any money but you could go to any door and get a "piece"
Look after your own before you even think about giving to anybody else.
The problem with being a liberal is that you tend to think of everybody else to the detriment of your own interests.
petalpeeps
I do not consider myself racist ,but i too agree with this e-mail. I watched the news last week Heather , and heard about the fact that money raised to help these people did not reach them. So where did it go? I feel this e-mail is more about the anger of some British people about the unfairness of the system and those who run it. The fact that we dont hear it being discussed in public , is the fact that the racist card is used ,and your in deep doodoo. Its not right that certain people can come over and do what they like and get away with it because of the colour of their skin , or their religion . I also often wonder where the government find the money to pay incomers , or how housing is found , when we sadly have people living on the streets who can't claim assistance because they dont have an address. I have seen programmes on the homeless , and not all of them are drug users or drunks . Sadly a lot of them are abused kids , trying to make the best of what life has thrown at them. So , do i thing we should help others in need? definately , but after we have helped our own needy .
I would also love to know how much of a wage drop did those in power , who are making the rest of us scrimp and scrape , take. More like how much of a wages hike they took , to make up for the fact they can no longer make use of the expenses scheme. mad.gif They dont have a clue what life is like on a low wage or benefits .
anonymous
Good post Petal

The other travesty is that we are giving aid to the likes of India and China who are the fastest growing economies in the world, we give 1 Billion to India, and they are a nuclear power with a space programme!

In what's called the "scattergun" approach we give aid to over 100 governments , with little accountability as to how the money is spent.

Some disrespectful people have been known to suggest that we give aid in order to secure contracts for big companies!

I'm sure thats not true and our government is totally committed to looking after the poor citizens of these countries just as well as they look after the poor in the UK! biggrin.gif
auldbutcher
Rooster ah hope Cameron disnae read yer comments it'll stickin his craw ye fer ruffled his feathers there .

COCK a DOODLE DOO ya awl laugh.gif tongue.gif
wombat
petalpeeps sez: would also love to know how much of a wage drop did those in power , who are making the rest of us scrimp and scrape , take.
More like how much of a wages hike they took , to make up for the fact they can no longer make use of the expenses scheme. They dont have a clue what life is like on a low wage or benefits .

rolleyes.gif ennywan notice a "pattern"to this THEFT of public monies?
year in year out ,everywan whines and nuthin gets done,protest and yie get yir heid bashed in by the coppers, and the merry go round starts aw ower again,thought the majority wis supposed tae rule,no a mob of self serving turds .Hmm robber barons comes tae mind.
auldbutcher
Aye Wombat robber barons indeed ,like there ancestors, bleed ,use ,exploit ,the hoi polloi and if they rebell send in the storm troopers ,the genes and there robber blood runs true .
TeeHeeHee
I had to put this up here. I received this eMail today from a very dear devout Christian friend who happens to have an eMail address which I can never access with return mails (I have 4 such) so there is no way I can make private contact to comment on her good intentions.

I am into astronomy and recognised immediately the object in the eMail below

Eye of God

Click to view attachment AWESOME!

Dear All:

This photo is a very rare one, taken by NASA. This kind of event occurs once in 3000 years.
This photo has done miracles in many lives.
Make a wish ..... you have looked at the eye of God. Surely you will see the changes in your
life within a day. !
Whether you believe it or not , don't keep this mail with you. Pass this at least to 7 persons.
This is a picture NASA took with the Hubbell telescope.
Called 'The Eye of God.'
Too awesome to delete.
It is worth sharing.

During the next 60 seconds, Stop whatever you are doing, and take this opportunity.
(Literally it is only One minute!)

Just send this to people and see what happens. Do not break this, please.

I would dearly have loved to tell this well meaning friend that what she is looking at is in fact NGC 6720 (New General Catalogue): The Ring Nebula or M57 (Entered in the Messier Catalogue as object No.57 over 230 years ago when it was first discovered and confirmed) and whoever started the Eye of God stuff can't spell Hubble correctly. tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

ABOUT THIS IMAGE:

The NASA Hubble Space Telescope has captured the sharpest view yet of the most famous of all planetary nebulae: the Ring Nebula (M57). In this October 1998 image, the telescope has looked down a barrel of gas cast off by a dying star thousands of years ago. This photo reveals elongated dark clumps of material embedded in the gas at the edge of the nebula; the dying central star floating in a blue haze of hot gas. The nebula is about a light-year in diameter and is located some 2,000 light-years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Lyra.

The colors are approximately true colors. The color image was assembled from three black-and-white photos taken through different color filters with the Hubble telescope's Wide Field Planetary Camera 2. Blue isolates emission from very hot helium, which is located primarily close to the hot central star. Green represents ionized oxygen, which is located farther from the star. Red shows ionized nitrogen, which is radiated from the coolest gas, located farthest from the star. The gradations of color illustrate how the gas glows because it is bathed in ultraviolet radiation from the remnant central star, whose surface temperature is a white-hot 216,000 degrees Fahrenheit (120,000 degrees Celsius).

Object Names: Ring Nebula, M57

Image Type: Astronomical

Credit: The Hubble Heritage Team (AURA/STScI/NASA)

My dear friend, I do love you, you are a very special person and I am full of thanks for your thinking about me, really, but please go to the link below where more detailed information can be found. :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_6720

Oh dear, I hope this doesn't mean the end of another friendship.

M57 in infra red ... really awsome in full screen. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.