Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partick Thistle
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Queenslie1957
biggrin.gif two anniversary's for thistle next year
90th Anniversary scottish cup win over Rangers
40th Anniversary Scottish League Cup Win Over Celtic
irrie
The 1st one was a bit before my time but i certainly enjoyed the 2nd one. There are a few jags fans around GG maybe we can use this site for our posts.
Willieg
Oops, I don't know what happened there but what I was trying to say is I managed to get up to the Dundee match a couple of weeks back and I thought we are playing some nice football at the moment. Given the number of GG members on the site who come from Maryhill I agree with Irrie there must be quite a few closet Jags supporters. We could really do with more people getting along to Firhill to support the team and can I get you to have a look at the PTFC site. They have a Centenary Fund which you can subscribe to for the modest sum of 5 to 20 per month which ensures you get included in the monthly draw for some very exciting prizes, including a car! The Jags are our only Maryhill team so please get along and support the team. Use it or lose it.
Thanks, Willie
Crewsy Fixer
Happy Anniversaries to the Jags.
possilboy
a few photos
possilboy
and another the great john mckenzie
andypisces
Johnny MacKenzie, what a player. The number one right winger in scotland. I had a wee budgie i called johnny mac.People say that if he had played for rangers or celtic he would have had many more caps. I for one am glad he didnt, it allowed me to cheer for him unashamedly. He made me a jags supporter even more than the facvt that i lived in springbank st and that my uncle was bobby henderson who played goal for them
Dexter St. Clair
I've just googled Partick Thistle 1921 and same again with 1971 and no image with a Robertson's Golliwog has come up. What's the connectuion?
irrie
Morning all. The Jags have lost manager Ian Mcoll who resigned for personal and professional reasons. He is succeeded in the interim by Jackie macnamara assisted by Simon Donnelly and Ian Cameron. Cheers
mitchell
Any truth that the big Euro lotto winner is going to buy the Jags?
Jupiter
Come on,he only won 162 million. rolleyes.gif
mitchell
Whoops sorry, Rangers and Celtic also! laugh.gif
Jupiter
I was born and brought up at Queens Cross literally 200yards from the stadium and attended up until I was about 22/23 and always had good times there,however one of the most memorable days was about 12 years ago when I was invited as a guest for the pre match dinner.
It was something special.Champagne in the large foyer and a tour round the trophy room and then lunch and drinks.Seat in the main box,halftime pies and Bovril(pies to die for) and then after match drinks and sandwiches,meet the players.This hospitality went on till 7pm and was one of the best days Ive had.The Jags might not have been the best on the park but they could certainly put on an impressive meal.
That day as I recall they were playing Inverness Caledonian Thistle and won.It was a great day.
I was also lucky enough to be in the Hampden stand with my late father and uncles for the Cup final.One of the things that stuck in my mind that day apart from winning of course was the number of priests in the stand.I dont think they were Jags fans but were good fun all the same and took the ribbing from the Jags fans in good part.
Only two or three years ago I gave away a signed photo of every Jags player at the after match reception to a really staunch Jags fan from Milngavie and it was as though Id given him a treasure.I hope the Jags manage in time to get back to Premier status,it would be great for the Scottish game.
I just thought Id add that Big John Harvey ex Jags centre half is still on the go and is a regular around Bearsden Cross.
mitchell
Great wee story Jupiter, memories that will always remain with you.
Mathieson
I have a life long pal who is a Thistle fan and has had to put up with all sorts of ribbing from all and sundry about his team but he unfailingly faces each new season in full expectation that this will be the year. Is dedication like that that is most admirable in fitba fans the world over.
mitchell
Yep, not like some of the bitter people on this board.
irrie
Morning all. Have ye seen the new strip it looks pretty smart. Id put a photo on if I knew how. Cheersi
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (irrie @ 17th Jul 2011, 11:48am) *
Morning all. Have ye seen the new strip it looks pretty smart. Id put a photo on if I knew how. Cheersi

You're right Irrie, it is very smart, i just hope they do it in XXXL laugh.gif
andypisces
[quote name='Jupiter' date='17th Jul 2011, 10:42am' post='3545766']
I was born and brought up at Queens Cross literally 200yards from the stadium and attended up until I was about 22/23
Hi Jupe i dont know if you are old enough to remember the old springbank st. I was born in the second last close on the left going up towards firhill. We must have been born close in distance at least. I left there when i was twenty when my family moved to easterhouse.
Jupiter
andypisces,I remember it very well.I remember a wee bakery shop tucked in between the gable ends of the buildings.I also remember at one time the premises which is now the undertakers was a car sales showroom and on the other side,probably opposite your close was a warehouse for household goods like ironmongery.One of the attractions in Springbank Street was the trolley buses which slowed down when they turned into Firhill Road,hudgie time!
My school was over the road...Springbank Primary.
Cheers
Joop rolleyes.gif
Jupiter
It must have been like days of old at Queens Cross yesterday when the Celtic came to Maryhill to test their skills on the Jags.... and got beat.As a kid it was always a big day at Firhill when the Old Firm called with hundreds of supporters buses parked all round the area.The Jags were often on the receiving end of things but I never recall there being any bother.I seem to recall there were massive crowds(maybe some Jags supporters can tell me the ground capacity record,(poss55k?)) and I read that yesterday the game was delayed due to crowd congestion..5,500 fans.
Well done the Partick Thissel!
mitchell
Who will remember this team, and who did the beat, and the score?

Rough, J Hansen, Forsyth, Glavin, Campbell, Strachan, McQuade, Coulston, Bone, Rae, Lawrie, and not too forget the sub Gibson
Jupiter
The Team,one afternoon at Hampden,humbled Celtic and won the cup.
mitchell
Yep it sure was, I was in Munns that night when the pubs stayed open late.
And for the record it was a great game.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 18th Jul 2011, 06:41am) *
It must have been like days of old at Queens Cross yesterday when the Celtic came to Maryhill to test their skills on the Jags.... and got beat.As a kid it was always a big day at Firhill when the Old Firm called with hundreds of supporters buses parked all round the area.The Jags were often on the receiving end of things but I never recall there being any bother.I seem to recall there were massive crowds(maybe some Jags supporters can tell me the ground capacity record,(poss55k?)) and I read that yesterday the game was delayed due to crowd congestion..5,500 fans.
Well done the Partick Thissel!

I remember going to one night time game at firhill when Davie McParland was still playing.
Thistle won courtesy of a magnifecent diving header scored by Neilly Duffy?, problem was he didn't head the ball in, it came via a punch on the ball into the goal, long before Marradonnas "hand of God" HaHa

I agree with you there is a place in the premier league for the Thistle, they could make their own headlines without worrying about the rest of Glasgow.
Jupiter
Dave,I remember Neil Duffy well.A diminutive chap with blond wavy hair and a great favourite.
jeep
Who remembers this Partick Thistle stalwart/

jeep
Andy Kerr.

JAGZ1876
QUOTE (jeep @ 10th Aug 2011, 02:44pm) *

A bit before my time Jeep, but a great photo of a bygone time when men were men, i be he never rolled around pretending to be injured to get an opponent booked or sent off.
hubert
Partick Thistle 0-1 Dundee.
Off to a good start, bottom of the league already! ohmy.gif
JAGZ1876
As long as we don't get relegated i'll be happy, the first division is a great league, top can beat bottom, open attacking play from both side, fans can have a pint with opposition fans after the game. And the good thing about not being promoted, we wont have the Bigot Brothers calling twice a season. C'mon the Jags, there's only one team in Glasgow.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 05:22pm) *
As long as we don't get relegated i'll be happy, the first division is a great league, top can beat bottom, open attacking play from both side, fans can have a pint with opposition fans after the game. And the good thing about not being promoted, we wont have the Bigot Brothers calling twice a season. C'mon the Jags, there's only one team in Glasgow.

Sounds good tae me
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (hubert @ 10th Aug 2011, 03:52pm) *
Partick Thistle 0-1 Dundee.
Off to a good start, bottom of the league already! ohmy.gif

Actually i just laughed you off, but then it dawned on me you are quite pathetic, not only do you go out your way to wind up Rangers fans (and in some cases Celtic fans) on the Old Firm Site, but to actively seek out Thistle fans to gloat about a result from 4 days ago beggars belief. The germans have a word for someone like you Schadenfreude, if you don't know what that means get someone to explain it to you. It's people like you who get Celtic F.C a bad name.
hubert
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 06:21pm) *
Actually i just laughed you off, but then it dawned on me you are quite pathetic, not only do you go out your way to wind up Rangers fans (and in some cases Celtic fans) on the Old Firm Site, but to actively seek out Thistle fans to gloat about a result from 4 days ago beggars belief. The germans have a word for someone like you Schadenfreude, if you don't know what that means get someone to explain it to you. It's people like you who get Celtic F.C a bad name.

Read the post in this thread mentioning beating Celtic more than four days ago, sort of gloating to me.
Your post is very insulting, and exagerated lies, I take it you must be a bit of an ARSCHLOCH! mad.gif
bilbo.s
Do you really think you are allowed to personally insult a fellow board member in this fashion, even in German? mad.gif
JAGZ1876
The 4 days i was talking about was your gloat about Thistle 0 -Dundee 1, as well you know, as to your reply with the injured "It wiz you'ze yin's that started it" is poor to say the least. As for the post about beating Celtic, i had to look back and found #21 on the 18th of July, Jupiter (by his own admission not a Thistle fan) reminiscing about a game from his childhood (hardly gloating).
As for being a bit of an Arschloch, tell me what that means and i may answer you.
It's embarrassing to think that all the people you have met in Las Vegas will think you are typical of Glasgow & Celtic F.C, go back to the Old Firm board and let the eloquent Glasgow Girl take you under her wing and keep you on a short leash.
irrie
QUOTE (jeep @ 10th Aug 2011, 02:44pm) *

Sadly Mr Wright passed away a number of yrs ago my parents became good friends with him and his wife.I can remember seeing him play. Cheers. PS if what has happened to the Jags in the last 2 games happened to the other Glasgow teams some posters on the OF site would be up in arms.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Aug 2011, 06:52pm) *
Do you really think you are allowed to personally insult a fellow board member in this fashion, even in German? mad.gif

I don't understand your point, the English translation is, taking pleasure in other peoples pain. it is not an insult, it is a fact. Why are you not protesting to Hubert about going out of his way to insult and gloat at fellow board members. I await your response.
Glasgow Girl
Well, being as eloquent as you think I am ... I can confirm, it's not a nice thing to call anybody.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 09:08pm) *
I don't understand your point, the English translation is, taking pleasure in other peoples pain. it is not an insult, it is a fact. Why are you not protesting to Hubert about going out of his way to insult and gloat at fellow board members. I await your response.

Duh ! I was addressing Hubert ! unsure.gif
Glasgow Girl
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Aug 2011, 07:12pm) *
Duh ! I was addressing Hubert !

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Aug 2011, 08:12pm) *
Duh ! I was addressing Hubert ! unsure.gif

Well don't forget to add the correct postage rolleyes.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (irrie @ 10th Aug 2011, 07:04pm) *
Sadly Mr Wright passed away a number of yrs ago my parents became good friends with him and his wife.I can remember seeing him play. Cheers. PS if what has happened to the Jags in the last 2 games happened to the other Glasgow teams some posters on the OF site would be up in arms.

So sorry to hear that Irrie, I don't remember him as a player, but do remember him as a manager of St. Mirren, Dunfermline Ath, Dumbarton. I think he took The Sons to a semi final Against Celtic, and suffered a narrow defeat.
JAGZ1876
I'm confused, are you Celtic fans going to put my windows in, or do i ask you in for a cup of tea?
bilbo.s
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 09:27pm) *
I'm confused, are you Celtic fans going to put my windows in, or do i ask you in for a cup of tea?

You are certainly confused if you think I am a Celtic fan.

Have you not read my last post ?

Wee bit of a Missverstaendnis , nicht wahr ?
Glasgow Girl
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 07:27pm) *

No need for that; absolutely no call for that at all. ohmy.gif Astounding remark to make. As it happens I was agreeing with bilbo that it was not a nice name to call anybody and I get insulted for my trouble. rolleyes.gif Nice man.
Mathieson
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 08:27pm) *

Why would they do that? Are you Hugh Dallas? laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Glasgow Girl @ 10th Aug 2011, 07:42pm) *
No need for that; absolutely no call for that at all. ohmy.gif Astounding remark to make. As it happens I was agreeing with bilbo that it was not a nice name to call anybody and I get insulted for my trouble. rolleyes.gif Nice man.

Glasgow Girl, in plain English, can you explain? No Call for that at all?
Astounding Remark to make?
It was not a nice name to call anybody?
And how did you get insulted for your trouble?
Or never mind the Twilight Zone, have i just stumbled into.... There's a sign up ahead.... You've just entered the Old Firm Zone.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 10th Aug 2011, 08:13pm) *
Why would they do that? Are you Hugh Dallas? laugh.gif

You clearly haven't been reading the earlier posts, when Hubert and the rest of your Old Firm pals decided, lets piss off the rest of the city and attack the Thistle fans. Queens Park fans stand by you may be next.
Glasgow Girl
I didn't attack you Jagz smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.