Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partick Thistle
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Dimairt
Great result today, glad to be wrong.(again)

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Bring on the Cel'ic!
JAGZ1876
Listened to it on the radio, looking forward to seeing it on Sportscene tonight as well as the Caley corner goal controversy.

Seems like our luck was in today and that we got the rub of the green, still we'll have played better this season and lost.

Looking forward to our first Glasgow League derby for many a year even though its a fiver more.

C'mon the Jags thumbup.gif
Purplefan
Considering our next two games are against Celtic and Aberdeen, it is a great 3 points.
Jupiter
A good game which threw up quite a few talking points.Second time Ive seen the Jags on telly recently and they seem to be going the right way.Good to see them back in the Premier. rolleyes.gif
DannyH
Hello

I have been browsing through the posts in this topic, looking in particular for posts about old times.

So I thought I would add a couple.

Is there anybody out there who was at the match when the Firhill floodlights were switched on for the first time? I was. I remember it was Tottenham, which included the Blanchflower brothers, Danny and Jackie. Great occasion.

Any one remember seeing the great young team Davie Meiklejohn put out, which included players like Andy Kerr, Davie Mathers and Alec Wright.

I remember Alec Wright very well, because he played for Thistle towards the end of his career when the others had long gone. The reason I remember him so well is because he played for Thistle in a game against Rangers at Ibrox. I used to go to Firhill one week and then go to Ibrox the following week. (That is if I wasn't playing myself of course. I did win an Amatuer league medal I will have you know. Well actually we did win the league, but in those days the Club got the trophy and we got nothing).

Anyway back to my story. This was the last time I ever went back to see Rangers. Rangers were the better team, but couldn't break down the Thistle defence. With a few minutes to go, Rangers scored the only goal of the match. I couldn't believe what happened next. The Rangers supporters started singing the National Anthem! "I thought to myself, for God's sake, this is Thistle, not Celtic". I came away ashamed. I had supported Rangers and Thistle since I was five when my grandfather took me to Firhill to see them play.

Depressing wee story isn't it.

Regards to All

Danny Harris
possilboy
here you are danny h 1952/53 standing j McGowan j Harvey t ledgerwood w Crawford d mathers n mcreadie sitting j mc kenzie b howitt a wright w sharp j walker
possilboy
a couple more
Purplefan
Great photos possilboy.
I can't remember Thistle Ever playing Tottenham. But i do remember them
playing manchester united in 1973 for a testimonial. Donnie mckinnon's?

We also competed in the Anglo Scottish cup and in 1978 we beat mnsfield town 1-0 in the quarter final 1st leg. I went down to mansfield for the return leg only to see us lose 3-2 and go out on penalties. The following season 1979/80 we played Bristol city and drew at firhill then again we lost 2-0 in Bristol. It was a long trip and it was great seeing so many thistle fans there,. I think we got to the semi finals one year only to lose to st. mirren?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 21st Oct 2013, 04:59pm) *
Great photos possilboy.
I can't remember Thistle Ever playing Tottenham. But i do remember them
playing manchester united in 1973 for a testimonial. Donnie mckinnon's?

Yes indeed great photos Possilboy.

You would be to young (me too) to remember Thistle playing Spurs PF, the game DannyH was talking about was the first game to be played under floodlights at Firhill on the 14th November 1955 when the Jags beat Spurs 1-0 in the first game of the Anglo Scottish (Floodlight) league.

http://scottish-football-historical-archiv...ngloscotsleague

Someone has just sold a copy of the programme for the game (in the same competition) at White Hart Lane where we were beaten 4-1 on 26th September 1956 for 12 .50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOTTENHAM-HOTSPU...Y-/390671187107

I remember when we had the new floodlights installed in 1994 the club wanted Spurs to come up and play us as an official opening game, but as a date could not be reached the idea was eventually dropped.
possilboy
jagz thanks for the compliment but I had been watching the jags since the early fifties and never missed a game at firhill and went to a lot of away games my only shot at fame was when I went to see them play raith away and I was at the players entance after the game and big john Fairbairn offerd me a lift back in the team bus and took me back to Maryhill the only thing I had to walk back to possil thumbup.gif cheers
JAGZ1876
That was a good story Possilboy, tell me, do you still attend games at Firhill and like me do you wish we could go back to standing while watching a game?
Purplefan
Hear is a question for you: "What was the first Thistle match you attended"?

Mine was in 1966. Division one match. Patrick thistle Vs Ayr united.. We won 4-1
It was in July i think.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 22nd Oct 2013, 01:23pm) *

Mine was in 1966. Division one match. Patrick thistle Vs Ayr united.. We won 4-1
It was in July i think.

Don't remember the first Thistle match but the game I remember as my all time favourite was a Celtic Thistle match at Parkhead in the mid 60's when Celtic won 5-3.

First half it was 2-0 Celtic, half time 3-2 Thistle, full time 5-3 Celtic, end to end and if it had finished up 10-10 nobody would have complained magic game thumbup.gif
possilboy
jagz no I stay in new Zealand but keep up with it on the web purplefan I cant remember the first game but I do remember jimmy Davidson bursting the net against hearts it was that hard of a shot it went straight through cheers
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (possilboy @ 22nd Oct 2013, 09:33pm) *
jagz no I stay in new Zealand

"DOH" laugh.gif

A senior moment there Possilboy.
ashfield
I have seen them a few times (and not only when the opposition was Celtic tongue.gif ). I went to firhill to see a cup game, I think they were due to play Falkirk, and it was called off minutes before the game started. Officials of the club handed out wee tickets to all those inside with the promise it would gain you entry to any future home match. I used mine for the next match against Celtic but the stories going round later was double or treble the number of tickets given out were used for later matches.

Some naughty person must have been printing them rolleyes.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 22nd Oct 2013, 12:23pm) *

It was in July i think.

It was New years day 1968 at Ibrox, just weeks before we had the that horrendous storm, but even worse was the 5-2 defeat that the Jags suffered, i always remember the fascination that i had with the strip and the colours even though i was standing in the Copeland Road terrace with my two older brothers and my cousins husband who were and still are dyed in the wool Currant Buns, as a ten year old i knew i would follow this team when the time was right to not give a F... what anyone thought.

There's only one team in Glasgow thumbup.gif
possilboy
any of you guys got a link to the link of the caley goal as they call it corngate I would like to see for my self cheers
Purplefan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03cz...ene_20_10_2013/
Game starts at 10:28 on timer.

JAGZ1876
QUOTE (possilboy @ 24th Oct 2013, 02:17am) *
any of you guys got a link to the link of the caley goal as they call it corngate I would like to see for my self cheers

This is the goal that rightly wasn't allowed to stand possilboy, how the linesman allowed play to continue until they put the ball in the net should be enough to never let him officiate at the top level ever again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/24630869
possilboy
thanks jagz but it wont play over here never mind I got it on you tube it was not a goal they tried to cheat thumbup.gif
JAGZ1876
Some so called experts here are saying that the goal should have stood possilboy, they try to make out that this tactic of touching the ball at a corner then leaving it for another player to run in with the ball is quite common although i don't recall seeing it done before, but had the first Caley player actually taken the corner and so the ball was in play, then why did the linesman wave James Craigen away when he went to get the ball?

Like i say, that linesman should never be allowed anywhere near a top flight game ever again.

Although i expect we will have plenty dodgy decisions given against us on Sunday yes.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 25th Oct 2013, 10:37am) *
Although i expect we will have plenty dodgy decisions given against us on Sunday yes.gif

Here's hoping laugh.gif laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (ashfield @ 25th Oct 2013, 10:40am) *
Here's hoping laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Purplefan
Had to laugh at Terry Butcher:
"Were still trying to work out how we lost that one".
Err, Thistle scored more goals.

NOW IT'S CELTIC.
Don't forget thistle fans will be on soccer A.M this Saturday.
Sitting in the Luther Blisset stand.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 25th Oct 2013, 12:57pm) *
Don't forget thistle fans will be on soccer A.M this Saturday.
Sitting in the Luther Blisset stand.

I don't have SKY sports so i won't have to watch as the inevitable patronization begins.
Purplefan
Partick Thistle: Fox, O'Donnell, Taylor-Sinclair, Welsh, Muirhead, Balatoni, Craigen, Bannigan, Doolan, Osborne, Higginbotham. Subs: Gallacher, Forbes, Lawless, Piccolo, Elliott, Baird, Kerr.

Celtic: Forster, Lustig, Ambrose, van Dijk, Izaguirre, Pukki, Brown, Kayal, Ledley, Samaras, Stokes. Subs: Zaluska, Biton, Balde, Rogic, Atajic, Fisher, McGeouch.

Line ups for todays game.

Comment from Alan Archibald.

"When we first got promotion this was the fixture everyone was talking about. We're expecting a full house and it's got the makings of a great game. We've only let ourselves down on a couple of occasions this season and we have nothing to fear. I've told the lads to go out and show how good they are."

COMON THE JAGS!!!!
Purplefan
1-0 Celtic.
samaras. Not a single thistle player near him.
When a player of that Quality is in the box,You mark him.
Purplefan
Two great saves from Fox keeps the Half time score 1-0 Celtic.
Purplefan
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHRIS DOOLAN
YESSSSSSSS< YESSSSSSSSSSSS< YESSSSSSSSSSS.
1-1.
Purplefan
shit. 2-1 celtic.
Balde.
Purplefan
Final score 2-1 celtic.
Fox was superb.
JAGZ1876
Having only heard it on the radio i will have to wait to see the highlights tonight.

Not a bad result against a club awash with money when you consider we only have a tiny fraction of their playing budget.

Today's crowd of 7,978 was only 156 more than was at our opening night game against Dundee Utd, if Celtic decide to bugger off to England or anywhere else that's daft enough to take them Scottish football won't miss them

No Luck Jags thumbup.gif
Purplefan
will have to wait till its on the BBCi player.
andypisces
Watched osbourne three times now and each time he has been the best player on the park. ?Non stop hustle and rarely made a bad pass and his tackles were hard, just ask brown......lol
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 27th Oct 2013, 05:15pm) *
Having only heard it on the radio i will have to wait to see the highlights tonight.

Not a bad result against a club awash with money when you consider we only have a tiny fraction of their playing budget.

Today's crowd of 7,978 was only 156 more than was at our opening night game against Dundee Utd, if Celtic decide to bugger off to England or anywhere else that's daft enough to take them Scottish football won't miss them

No Luck Jags thumbup.gif

Jagz even if Celtic "Bugger off" its no guarantee that they still wont play in Scotland, here in the Southern hemisphere we have a rugby tournament called the Super 14 this is for teams from SA,NZ and Australia, I dont know about the other two countries but our teams have two teams, for instance Natal play in the local competitions as Natal but in the Super 14 They are known as the Sharks same province fielding different players. tongue.gif laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
I know what you mean Dave but if they go they go, lock stock and barrel yes.gif
Dimairt
Recent e-Bay purchase with lots of Jags trivia and ads from local businesses.

Durachdan,

Eddy

pt 2.

Eddy

Dimairt
Part two.

Dimairt
Part three.

JAGZ1876
Great post Eddy, pity we were knocked out of the cup although we finished 11th in the league that season and Clyde were relegated laugh.gif

On a personal note that was the season the the good old Third's finished third in the league, one place above Celtic, sad to think they were no more six years later, what a shame we didn't know then that the club doesn't die, only the owners do yes.gif

Saturdays are boring when the Jags aren't playing.
Dimairt
Here's a cracker from 1993 to get us in the mood for tonight's game. Aberdeen had a good team then but obviously, we did too. By the way, there aren't enough players called Albert these days.
I think we can get a point tonight, 'mon the Jags.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bgcux78tF8
JAGZ1876
Well done Scott Fox on his Scotland call up, i hope he gets a game though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24802647
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 4th Nov 2013, 01:22pm) *
Here's a cracker from 1993 to get us in the mood for tonight's game. Aberdeen had a good team then but obviously, we did too. By the way, there aren't enough players called Albert these days.
I think we can get a point tonight, 'mon the Jags.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bgcux78tF8

I was at that game, most of that side would get a start tonight no problem, although i'm glad it wasn't the game from the season before as they thumped us 0-7 at Firhill.

As for tonight's game i would take a draw right now, but if we haven't sorted out our defence i fear the worst.

C'mon the Jags thumbup.gif
JAGZ1876
From the same YouTube page as Eddy's clip, it's still great to watch the Jags playing in Europe even if Fc Metz did beat us 1-0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9B0oee0ezw

Although Nicky Walkers top had me adjusting my monitor laugh.gif
JAGZ1876
I feared the worst and i wasn't let down.

Anything less than three points on Saturday against St Mirren will be disappointing.
irrie
Right Jagz. Got to beat the teams around and below us in the league. Always going to struggle against the top until we can afford a couple of quality players.
irrie
Oh no. Aberdeen at Firhill in the cup.
Dimairt
See link for excellent account of two Welshmen at the Cel'ic game.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://lostboyos.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/...artick-thistle/
Dimairt
Right , no messing about today - it will be three points and several goals for the Mighty Jags! I hope to be hoarse by 4.45.

Durachdan,

Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.