Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partick Thistle
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Dec 2012, 11:00am) *
I've never thought of that before Dave, our kids obviously get Summer and Christmas holidays but with your Summer in South Africa clashing with Xmas do the SA kids get time of in your winter and if they do what is the reason?

I'm glad i was brought up in Glasgow, i would hate to have had my xmas dinner on Fair Friday laugh.gif

Hi Jagz, the main holiday for the kids is now until maybe the 14th Jan, with most of the companies closed from the 14th Dec until maybe the 7th Jan.
the school terms here are different with every province setting their own time tables with most of them breaking up at least three times a year for different periods of time.

I would hate to have a traditional sit down Christmas dinner now, its been so long since we did that normally its a get together with friends at one of the houses that allow the kids or should I now say Grandkids to swim in the pool while we all sit around the BBQ talking nonsence.

If we do go away its normally Christmas day on the beach.
JAGZ1876
Fascinating smile.gif

No matter how it's celebrated i hope you and your's have a great time Dave thumbup.gif
irrie
Good day for the Jags. Still top but now with a game in hand.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (irrie @ 9th Dec 2012, 03:27am) *
Good day for the Jags. Still top but now with a game in hand.

Yes, maybe we should leave the undersoil heating of next week and go three points clear with two games in hand laugh.gif
Dimairt
My oldest boy turned up with a box of match-day programmes from the last 35 years; I've enjoyed reading through them.
In the pic below from 22nd December 1984 when we were at home to Motherwell, there is mention of the George Restaurant at St. George's Cross. Does anyone remember it?
Anyway, the pic is off the great Jackie Husband with members of the St. George's Cross Supporters' Club at a presentation dinner.
More old Jags stuff to come as I sift through the box.

Durachdan,

Eddy

irrie
Look forward to seeing more of your stuff Eddy. Remember the co-op had a restaurant at the cross but dont know if that is the one you mention. Cheers.

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff Eddy. Remember the co-op had a restaurant at the cross but dont know if that is the one you mention. Cheers.
JAGZ1876
Partick Th 3 - 2 Raith Rov. We left it late, but last season we would probably gave up, so better late than never, a bonus to hear Dunfermline dropped two points. smile.gif

Dimairt
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 15th Dec 2012, 08:00pm) *
Partick Th 3 - 2 Raith Rov. We left it late, but last season we would probably gave up, so better late than never, a bonus to hear Dunfermline dropped two points. smile.gif

Well it wasn't dull was it? I was pleased at the way we came back to win at the end after gifting them their two goals. Archie is noticeably slower these days and couldn't cope with the SPL, could he?
I thought the referee was awful, I usually refrain from criticizing the man in black - no , honestly - but that was poor.
Nine home games in the league, nine home wins.

Durachdan,

Eddy
Dimairt
Well done Irrie, the George was owned by the Co.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/stgeorgesrestaurant.html
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 15th Dec 2012, 08:00pm) *
Well it wasn't dull was it? I was pleased at the way we came back to win at the end after gifting them their two goals. Archie is noticeably slower these days and couldn't cope with the SPL, could he?
I thought the referee was awful, I usually refrain from criticizing the man in black - no , honestly - but that was poor.
Nine home games in the league, nine home wins.

Durachdan,

Eddy

You're right about Archie Eddy, but if we go up he'll still get a game but i can see him moving into a coaching role eventually.

I didn't want to mention or undefeated home record......You've just jinxed us for the Boxing day game against Morton tongue.gif
irrie
Big game on Boxing Day i think as Morton are definite challengers. Would be nice to open up a wee gap.
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 15th Dec 2012, 10:59pm) *

I didn't want to mention or undefeated home record......You've just jinxed us for the Boxing day game against Morton tongue.gif

What did i tell you Dimairt unsure.gif
Dimairt
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 27th Dec 2012, 11:08am) *
What did i tell you Dimairt unsure.gif

I take full responsibility for the defeat. Worse though, I wasn't even at the game - Boxing Day is always spent at my Mother's.
We're still top of the league - 'Mon the Jags!

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
I didn't make the Morton game either, come to think of it i missed the cup defeat against Dunfermline, i'd better make sure i'm their on Wednesday against the Accie's biggrin.gif

So, we're not top anymore, but we're still playing well so no panic, i don't expect Morton to last the pace, they were top last season until we beat them 4 - 0 in the Friday night game then they fell away, i still think it will be between us and Dunfermline.

Good to see Sean Welsh back, and i'm looking forward to having Scott Fox back between the sticks again.

Mon the Harry Wraggs thumbup.gif
irrie
Pity we didnt end the year at the top but still everything looking good. Happy new year to Jags fans everywhere. Cheers
JAGZ1876
And i think we will have a Happy 2013 with promotion and a cup win thumbup.gif

A Happy new year to all.

Red and Yellow forever thumbup.gif
Dimairt
Bliadhna Mhath Ur to all Jags fans! Looking forward to tomorrow's game against Hamilton and hoping we halt the recent run of results.

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
In reply to your question about SPL clubs not having a go against the old firm Eddy, (The Rangers thread) we are as guilty of this as any other club.

I remember we were playing Rangers away in an SPL fixture in the early nineties and only had two attacks in the whole game, on both occasions the Rangers defence were all over the place but Lambie was content to have the entire team camp in our own half letting Rangers constantly attack us, we eventually lost 3-0, but i would rather lose 5-1 having a go than 1-0 and not crossing the halfway line.

The reason so many teams in the SPL play this way against the ugly sisters is the fear factor of relegation, this is why i have wanted an enlargement of the leagues for the last twenty years, to give clubs who have no chance of going down a reason to play entertaining football without looking over their shoulders.

Our more entertaining performances against the OF have came in cup ties where we have been in a lower division so we could play more open football (have a go) this is what The Rangers are experiencing in the the 3rd division, football with no fear of relegation.

At least, that's my take on the matter.

Have a great 2013 Eddy.

Ally.
Dimairt
Interesting point Ally and fair to say that we've been as guilty as any in this respect - Bertie Auld era anyone?
I think though that two things have to happen for these cup-ties: 'the big team' has to be complacent and the underdogs properly motivated. For example: Liverpool v Wimbledon - when will Wimbledon ever be in an FA Cup Final? - and of course, Jags v Celtic in '71 - remember Lou Macari's comments?
Just in case anyone has forgotten, here's a wee reminder of how it can go.
All the best to you Ally.

Durachdan,

Eddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fdeYEMFjk
Dimairt
Today's match is off.

Durachdan,

Eddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQ0fBRoOy8
Dave Grieve
[quote name='Dimairt' date='1st Jan 2013, 07:09pm' post='3602974']
Jags v Celtic in '71 - remember Lou Macari's comments?

Durachdan,

Eddy

I arrived in SA on the Thursday before the final and listened to it on BBC world service, could not believe what I was hearing laugh.gif

What was Macari's comments?
JAGZ1876
So disappointed the games off, hopefully the other results will go our way.
Dimairt
I arrived in SA on the Thursday before the final and listened to it on BBC world service, could not believe what I was hearing laugh.gif

What was Macari's comments?
[/quote]

He was reported to have said to a Jags player, "Well, at least you'll get a runners-up medal." Remind me of the score again Lou.

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 2nd Jan 2013, 03:28pm) *
He was reported to have said to a Jags player, "Well, at least you'll get a runners-up medal." Remind me of the score again Lou.

Eddy

Yes, the old firm players share the same traits as their fans, modesty, respect for opponents, etc tongue.gif
JAGZ1876
Disappointing to lose such a late goal, but even with ten men we should have been able to keep them out, two points lost that could have had us joint top.

Still, i suppose most of us would have taken where we are at the moment (two points off the pace with two games in hand) if we had been asked before a ball was kicked this season.

We must start winning away, starting at Dumbarton next week.

C'Mon the Jags thumbup.gif

andypisces
Scotland on Sunday has nothing but praise for the game and the way it was played.Yes it is a pity we lost that late goal. Sendings off have hurt us this year. I still think theycan do enough to move up.
Dimairt
Despite recent results, I'm not worried. I am concerned though about the number of red cards we're picking up, as this might cause problems with players missing games.
Hoping to get tickets for next Saturday's game tomorrow.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Dimairt
Good highlights of Saturday's match on Livie's website - some great goals.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.livingstonfc.co.uk/livitv/parti...0113/livitv.php

PS My son got tickets for the Dumbarton game this week, what a good wee boy he is.
Dimairt
The old part of the ground is showing its age - it's been a wee while since these gates were in use.

Durachdan,

Eddy

JAGZ1876
I wish they they still charged those prices today Eddy biggrin.gif , before they closed it the South terrace (the Bing) was my usual spot, Halfway up, just to the left of the goal,, and my legs didn't get so cold as they do now when you could move around and stamp you feet.

You enjoy the game today Eddy, great to have Fox back, three points is a must even though Ian Murray has done well since he took over the Sons, hopefully no red cards.

C'mon the Jags thumbup.gif
irrie
Enjoy the game Eddy. Agree with Jags must get 3 points and keep 11 men on the park. sending offs are proving costly. Cheers
Dimairt
Looking forward to this one, though they gave us a hard time at Firhill.

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
Well i suppose Dunfermline losing lessens the blow slightly, but was it just a bad day at the office Eddy, or are the wheels coming off, 1 point out of 6 in our last two away's that we should be winning if we expect to win the league unsure.gif
Dimairt
Every team, including the eventual winners, will go through a rough patch, at the moment it's us.We started well, playing our usual game (keep it on the deck, move it about, retain possession, be patient) and created three great chances that had fans on their feet howling "Goa...ya ******* keeper," as their keeper pulled off three great saves. I thought we'd a chance when he went off injured - he got a very sporting round of applause from most Jags' fans. The stand-in keeper was nowhere near as good but we didn't really test him.
The first goal, sportingly scored for them by us, was a farce but it came about through an inability to clear the area.
Thereafter, it was time-wasting and every man behind the ball for them while we laboured at breaking down their defenses. The substitutions made little difference.
Positives? Well, no red cards - well done ref, by the way, for not blowing at every wee foul but pulling play back when advantage was lost; Sinclair was great and we've got Fox back.
With two games in hand - Cowdenbeath and Hamilton - and Dumfermline losing too, the title isn't lost; a good win against Falkirk next Saturday should steady the ship.
'Mon the Jags!

Eddy

PS The catering at Dumbarton was excellent.
Dimairt
"Highlights" from Saturday's game against Dumbarton.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://ptfc.co.uk/media/video/match_highli.../1201_dumbarton
JAGZ1876
After watching the highlights i can't fault Balatoni for the OG he was just unlucky

Looking forward to Saturdays game (weather permitting) a repeat of the 3-1 on the first day of the season will do just fine.

C'mon the Harry Wraggs thumbup.gif
Dimairt
Interesting full-page article on the Jags in today's Herald. It's good to see that we're getting regular coverage in the Herald and Times.
Looking forward to tomorrow's game especially as my youngest son is bringing a friend who supports Falkirk.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/footba...namara.19937344
Dave Grieve
Nice good newstory about probably everyones favourite other team will be good to see them back where they belong.
JAGZ1876
Partick Th 4 v 1 Falkirk. Great result, if not performance, we've played better and lost so i'm not complaining, good to see last weeks OG didn't affect Balatoni as he surprised us all with two goals, two also from Erskine, his second being the best.

Two back to back games with Cowdenbeath next, we have got to be looking for six points.

Despite being home for over an hour my legs are still numb with the cold, maybe there is something to be said for Summer Football After all unsure.gif
Dimairt
4-1 eh, with some great goals to look forward to on JagsTV come Tuesday. It was obvious from the start that there wouldn't be a repeat of recent away performances - they were fast and direct, passing well and forcing the Falkirk defence into errors when they had possession.
It was good too, to be back at the North Stand after last week's library-like atmosphere. Like JAGS1876, I was frozen through by the end and allowed myself to leave early since we were winning.
Back on track? Yes.

Durachdan,

Eddy
Dimairt
Highlights up early this week.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://ptfc.co.uk/media/video/match_highli...13/1901_falkirk

JAGZ1876
Chris Erskine's 2nd was even better than i remembered.

There's only one team in Glasgow thumbup.gif
Dimairt
What's your thoughts on tomorrow's game JAGZ? Easy win or hard work like the last time they were at Firhill?

Durachdan,

Eddy
JAGZ1876
Hi Eddy, as i said on my post on Saturday night i am expecting full points over our two games with Cowdenbeath, it won't be easy as our two previous games against them have proven with only one goal seperating them, but i think we should start looking to score as many goals as possible against the so called smaller teams as i think that goal difference will be crucial this season with Dunfermline, Morton ourselves and Livingston now creeping into the mix.

For this reason i would have Erskine and Craig up front with Doolan on the bench, i would stick with last weeks team that started against Falkirk with Welsh replacing Lawless with Muirhead back at Right back.

Sticking my neck out eddy i will predict 3-0 Jags.

Red Yella Army thumbup.gif
Dimairt
Agree about racking up the goal difference but the Blue Brazil have proved difficult to break down. I'm sure we'll win but will settle for a 92nd minute og, a soft penalty or a blatent offside goal by Archie on his big day.
'Mon the Jags!

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/january_2..._alan_archibald
andypisces
will be watcing the commentary on the PTFC website
mitchell
Watching the commentary Andy? happy.gif
Good luck to Thistle, they sure have come a long way in the years.
Still got the original last pink times, and the report on the 4-0 game against Celtic.
Without Googling can you name some of players?
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (mitchell @ 26th Jan 2013, 03:48am) *
Watching the commentary Andy? happy.gif
Good luck to Thistle, they sure have come a long way in the years.
Still got the original last pink times, and the report on the 4-0 game against Celtic.
Without Googling can you name some of players?

Don't want to sound pedantic Mitchell, but it was 4-1 (Dalglish) and like fans of other cup winning teams i bet Andy can rhyme them off without Googling thumbup.gif
mitchell
Well done! you got one right.
JAGZ1876
Another narrow win against the Blue Brazil, we should have won more comfortably but i'll take the same result next week.

If you want to go to heaven when you die thumbup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.