Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asylum Seekers Face Glasgow Exodus
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
GG
Up to 1300 asylum seekers currently resident in Glasgow could be forced to leave the city as early as this week after the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said it would no longer pay Glasgow City Council to house them. The dramatic move follows a breakdown in the deal, currently worth almost 10m annually, which saw Glasgow take tens of thousands of asylum seekers since 2000 under the UK Government's asylum dispersal scheme.

The Home Office last week cancelled the contract with the city council to house and support asylum seekers because, it claims, the council sought an increase of almost 50% in the funding over two years from the government body.

According to one Glasgow MSP, Anne McLaughlin, asylum seekers had already received letters instructing them to prepare themselves for relocation to other areas in Sotland outside Glasgow.

Ms McLaughlin said:
"I have been contacted by teachers, support workers and asylum seekers all desperately worried by this news. This happened only on Friday and already asylum seekers are getting letters telling them to pack two suitcases ready to leave Glasgow.

Their children are settled in school here and they are just to be plucked out of their communities and sent away. Further disruption will also be caused to those receiving medical help for physical and mental health needs. Many are single mothers with young children who now have to settle somewhere else.

I am shocked at the way people are being treated and call on both sides to get back to negotiations instead of needlessly disrupting the lives of children and families."

In an unexpected twist to the stand-off between the government agency and Scotland's biggest local authority, an un-named 'senior political source' told The Herald over the weekend of their suspicion that the Home Office wants to reduce overall numbers of asylum seekers in Glasgow because of the public outcry when they are removed.

The source said:
"Over the years we’ve had the Dungavel protests, the Ay family, the Glasgow Girls, Precious Mhango, and the demonstrations about the dawn raids. This doesn’t happen elsewhere in the UK and you’ve got to ask whether it is less hassle for UKBA to have Glasgow’s asylum seekers elsewhere."

A Glasgow City Council spokesman said:
"It's a matter of great regret that the UKBA has terminated its contract for the council to receive asylum seekers. Asylum seekers have brought welcome diversity to the city and added new life to many of our communities.

We have made numerous attempts to renegotiate the contract since numbers fell below contractually accepted levels but the UKBA has refused to accept our position. We can't subsidise another public body as they seek to fulfil their legal duties. A local authority would be acting beyond its powers if it did so."

Click to view attachment

GG.
GG
If you wish to comment on this story please remember that asylum seekers (and their families) are some of the most vulnerable members of our society. Please be considerate and respectful in your comments, mindful that many of these very unfortunate people are fleeing unspeakable horror in the countries of their birth.

GG.
Jupiter
Ive just watched an 18th century TV drama called Garrows Law involving a case (I believe based on fact) where a large number of slaves from Africa were thrown off a ship because they were costing too much.
Then I read this report and it looks as though the people caught in the middle of this situation are being treated in a similar manner and being uprooted,I assume before their asylum applications have been processed for financial reasons.
TeeHeeHee
I don't know the political ins and outs, or the local feeling, of the asylum seekers billeted in Glasgow but my own feelings are that if families are given asylum in Glasgow and have nestled into their communities with their children attending schools then they cannot be blamed for feeling that the City of Glasgow is caring, and being responsible, for them.
The City of Glasgow should maintain it's care for these families.
Glasgow should go to the line with the Home Office on this.
Just an opinion of course.
Jazzsaxman
The votes say what the majority think.
weebren3
I believe,yes under bad area's of the world should be given safety in any part of the country of scotland,just as long as they begin with our own poverty,health issues and people who are in need of jobs etc. Then maybe we could give more of ourselves to help with needs.I dont no of any in Glasgow who would not care to give the shirt off there backs to lend A hand. It is A touchy subject and I wish everyone well with the outcome.
I used to stay in Glasgow for about 2 years. Now I am in my own country China. I think for those bad-areas people, they should have more jobs to do. It is better for them to make their own lives instead of raised by the council. What do you think?
irrie
Surely these families esp.childrens lives have been disrupted enough if they were led to believe that hey could settle in Glasgow or anywhere else for that matter then thats the way it should be. If the powers that be want to make different rules for new settlers thats different but to make kids leave their schools and pals is just plain wrong in my opinion
boots
I agree with what Tee hee hee has said and don't think I have anything to add except to say I am disgusted that people are being used as pawns in a standoff between two levels of government.

PS Thank you THH
jcjamieson
I agree with you all the way ! Britain is too soft believing all the sob stories and granting asylum.
I'd get rid of the lot of them. We have too many of our own waiting for houses and needing help but it seems to make the Government and Council feel like saints giving "the poor asylum seekers" houses, benefits and all that's going.
As soon as they settle in they seem to want to implement the laws they had supposedly fled from to be implemented here!
Melody
I think that this is absolutely shocking. Many of these families are already well settled with children in school. Many of these children and young people have already suffered unspeakable horrors in their own countries and are very high academic achievers they are a credit to their families. Whatever happened to big hearted Glasgow, I'm ashamed to have this done in my name. We are watching the destruction of all that is good in our country in this current climate. A current climate which is not the fault of the ordinary person in the street.
ashfield
I completely agreed with your sentiments Melody, is it just a coincidence that this issue coincides with the demolition of the Red Road flats where many of the asylum seekers are housed?
*red rooster*
Why was the council asking for an increase of 50% from a government who are heavily in debt?
Sorry, charity begins at home.
Melody
I wouldn't be at all surprised Ash. This so called government are capable of anything.
Old Sailor
Scotland's histoy shows how badly it's people were treated by a tyranical monarch and elitist Clan Chiefs, then ultimately rounded up, transported into slavery to colonize the plantations of Glasgow's rich tobacco lords. Scotland is one country that should pay more than lip service to the UN Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The mixed ethnicity of a community is an asset to cherish not just for philosophical reasons but because we made a commitmant in WW2, when our brave men and women, my comrades, fought and died in battles to preserve a safe haven for all peoples. I now live in Canada where a mosaic of races and cultures survive, many who came seeking asylum, but I fought for five years under a British flag and assured safety to all. Are we to replace the tyrant by unsettling the people to whom we offered help, if we are then you are betraying the principles we once acclaimed, and as a Veteran you are betraying me.
droschke7
Surely the point of this is that they are "Asylum Seekers" and therefore haven't yet been given Asylum? We don't know how many of these people really need asylum or are just Financial Asylum Seekers. Surely Charity begins at home? As a disabled ex Serviceman, in Winter, I often have to choose between eating and heating, so for me to hear no complaints about that but an uproar about "Asylum Seekers" and that the Government is increasing international aid to Middle Eastern Countries that are training and Funding the Terrorists killing people all over the World, is a real slap in the Face. I'm almost being treated as a criminal by the Benefits Agency's (and I know of Many others in the same position) and no one complains, but when they want to move a couple of "Asylum Seekers" to another part of Scotland there is a Public outcry. Thanks guys.
benny
Locating so many asylum seekers in Glasgow - and usually in the less well off parts of Glasgow - was a mistake from the beginning. In many instances it has created what are virtually modern ghettoes. Not far from where I live, there are several blocks of multi-storey flats which have been used to house asylum seekers. Some of the blocks now have no local residents at all, but are filled entirely with asylum seekers. This is not a good idea in an area which already has many social problems. The inevitable result is that many local people feel unhappy - to put it mildly - with the situation.

I have no doubt that many asylum seekers are genuinely fleeing from opression of one form or another, but why should the ordinary citizen of Glasgow, or any other Scottish city, shoulder the burden of catering to their needs? The decision to accept asylum seekers is one taken by central government, and central government should be funding whatever measures it deems necessary, not the local council taxpayer.

I have an idea. Most genuine asylum seekers are here because of opression in their own countries, mostly because of civil wars, or megalomaniac dictators. To carry on a civil war or a career as a dictator, you need things like guns, tanks, aeroplanes, etc. Why don't we just stop selling arms to the regimes which are doing the opressing, or tax the armaments manufacturers to pay for the asylum seekers?
farci
QUOTE (Jazzsaxman @ 15th Nov 2010, 02:28am) *
The votes say what the majority think.

As every politician knows you manipulate the question to get the answer you want. I don't accuse GG of manipulation in this case, rather an absence of forethought in framing the question.

If Jazzsaxman is referring to a No vote for increasing the amount of money he may find a lot of support for better management of the funding. If this is shorthand for get rid of the asylum seekers - that's quite another matter. Glasgow, having decided to take the Queen's Shilling owes a duty of care which I think they still want to exercise.

The villain of the piece is the UK Border Agency whose actions presumably have political blessing. Anyone who has had dealings with this bunch will have tales of crass management of eg. student visas, citizenship applications. There are no votes in asylum seekers.
longbeach
I to feel sorry for people who are being mistreated in their native country,and are looking for some safety in their's and their families lives. But I also feel an empathy with the working class in my own country people who have worked from the day they left school and payed into the system all their working lives. Now the goverment want these people to work longer, I have worked for 38 years and due to circumstances with a family member I had to give up working after 38 years to care for her. I do not have any objections to a person working over their pensionable date but it must be a voluntary and not be forced on them by a goverment that in my mind has lost the place. They are punishing the people who have payed in for a better life when their working days are over, why do the puplic in this country have to take the blame for goverments in the past and present. Only one section of the people have let this country down and that's the ones that where put in a postion to look after and protect their people. We have a foreign policy of aid to payout to others (I do not object to) but only if our own people are looked after first, we have people of our own who have never worked, but have drawn money from the state, and I do not mean the people who legitimately have a reason why they cannot work. Instead of bringing in a foreign work force get the people who have never worked and are able to, out into the community and earn and pay back into their country. We as a country must start looking after our own before we look after others.
Ken
I have to agree with jcjamieson. I must ask the question, will I be able to adhere to my traditional way of life in 10 - 20 years time or will I end up as a second class citizen in my own country?
billyr
Hopefully they will cut ALLthe funding so they will ALL have to leave.....start giving help to our own poor people insted of others
Ann Reilly
Up to 1300 asylum seekers currently resident in Glasgow could be forced to leave the city as early as this week after the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said it would no longer pay Glasgow City Council to house them. The dramatic move follows a breakdown in the deal, currently worth almost 10m annually, which saw Glasgow take tens of thousands of asylum seekers since 2000 under the UK Government's asylum dispersal scheme. ...
albageorgia
birmingham have cancelled there agreement as well, aye its a shame for a lot of asylum seekers, but you can be sure many of them are just playing the system and couldnt care less if they were in glasgow doncaster cardiff or belfast, as long as they were getting housed and fed, I moved to london 37 years ago and when we moved into our council flat there were no immigrants, couple of years later a family from pakistan moved opposite us, they done their best to integrate and got along with all the neighbours, over the last 15 years the estate has just about been taken over with immigrants/asylum seekers, who dont want to integrate, this is where it goes wrong, instead of spreading them about the council put them altogether and the place eventually becomes a ghetto, not just a ghetto but a filthy ghetto, as one of the comments said earlier, charity SHOULD begin at home
Alex Saville
This is another issue that has been buried for far to long.
As a Springburn (And Glasgow) resident, I am not supportive of Asylum Seeker's, and of those who have failed in their application, Illegal Immigrants.
I have nothing against them a individuals, collectively, however, there are far too many of them.
There are many local issues about this subject.
There is a shortage of social housing, for example. Local people and their grown up family should have first call on any spare housing, not asylum seekers.
My doctor moved from the health centre to Fernbank St, got financial assistance from the Labour Scottish Government when they were in power and employed two more doctors to look after Asylum Seekers.
If I want to see the doctor, I have to take a day off work and lose a days pay as the practice does not open at night or a Saturday morning to accomodate local working people.
That makes me a second class citizen in my own country.
At the last general election, I spoke to Willie Bain about the subject.
His view was that a method of quickening up the asylum procedure's was needed.
I disagree!
What is needed is the door shut tight and ONLY applications from OUTSIDE the UK to be processed.
Why should the UK taxpayer fund asylum applications?
And why should the same taxpayer's pay for years of appeals by illegal immigrants at the behest of the politically correct, making lawyers rich at our expense?
Recently in Tesco St Rollox I watched as two of these individuals paid for A) 50 for a phone top-up, (B 80 for a gift card, with cards provided by the UK taxpayer.
Truly this is the land of opportunity, but not for us working folks!
As for vunerable members of our society, we have plenty of the home grown variety. Consideration & respect, by the politically correct and their hangers-on, towards the local community is sadly lacking.
John Reid, the former MP & Labour Government Minister, said it was not racist to discuss immigration. Therefore, logically, it is not racist to discuss Asylum Seekers and Illegal Immigrant's.
The politically correct, in the shape of Robina Qureshi of Positive Action on Housing, would have it otherwise, of course. She runs an organisation where positive action is detrimental to locals looking for housing.
No doubt she also gets handouts from Council Tax payers and UK taxpayers to operate her anti local housing policies.
Finally, the poll says it all!

Alex

jamjar51
Gamu would be typical of people seeking to stay here under asylum. She may very well be a great singer who was ejected from X factor on visa irregularities but because she can sing is no right for her to claim asylum.

Her lawyer and Gamu told how their was a bullet waiting for her back in Zimbabwe if she was refused leave to stay in Britain. She didn't worry about bullets as she had previously returned on holiday. It shows that we are prone to sob stories. We are told these are some of the most vulnerable people fleeing persecution. Surely you would stop where you felt safe in neighbouring countries instead of fleeing thousands upon thousands of miles where you can get a free life for free.
Some of these people may be vulnerable but a lot of them won't be vulnerable, they instantly know to claim asylum, lose any identification and all rules of engagement with border officers.

They are here because they know they will get everything before the vulnerable people born and bred here and who worked all their lives.
Elizabeth H
The Scottish Government must have know this was coming well in advance, and it is a bit late now when an awful lot of the Asylum Seekers are either married to or have children born in this country who are by rights Scottish. and entitled to be protected by scottish law. I am not altogether in favour of "Asylum Seekers rights", but there are some very decent people amongst them who do need help away from their own country; by the same token we have people born and bred in this country who should be shipped out as they are nothing but wasters, who contribute nothing to Scotland, and think it is their right that decent people should go out and work to keep them.

It would be interesting to see how they would react if told pack your bags we are not paying for the roof over your head any longer; or you will need to assist the Government by doing whatever job we allocate to you.

Whatever decision is made will affect us all, as it is obvious to all in Scotland that something has to give, the situation is really bad, with decent people losing jobs, businesses closing down, and having to have financial help from families and friends to feed and cloth their children. How can we expect to continue to keep people from another countries here when we are in such a mess ourselves.
bigdrew
I'm sorry but asylum seekers were the 'flavour of the month' for many councils in Britain, simply because they got Government cash, to upgrade and modernise housing stock that would have been demolished as 'unusable'.
At the same time Social services departments moved into the 'lucrative' scene moving staff and cash from drug and alcohol abuse, into this new 'trendy problem'.
Yes we all bent over backwords to accomodate refugees who arrived at our shores, from troubled countries, but quickly began to see a whole picture developing that was not as we had been informed.
I was never great at geography but I do know that in order to get to GB then on to Scotland, you must pass through other Euro States, whose customs are the same as ours and should have stopped many before they got here.....but this did not happen.
Most arrive legally and are offered support from the Government, pending case assessments, some simply dissapear into the mist, and others arriving illegally work in shops and stores hidden by fellow countrymen, who abuse them.
All this we know......
But to start a dialogue about someone who appeared in the X Factor as 'more worthy. than the next person, beggars belief.....!
In order to fully accomodate all the various cultures, every effort is made to allow them to follow their own religions, special schools are opened, culture centres are opened....and 'support agencies' buzz around looking for 'problem families'.
OK....but these people isolate themselves from us by refusing to learn to speak any English, and cause bigger problems by demanding more and more separatist lifestyles in legal cases, religious culture, clothing and acceptable behaviour from GB residents that they themselves refuse on ethnic and religious grounds.
This is a country that can only absorb so much, before the GB that we know, and the GB that these people came here for........will go the way of the dodo.....Time to step back and smell what the politicians and support agencies are shovelling.....!
jamjar51
QUOTE (bigdrew @ 15th Nov 2010, 03:59pm) *
... But to start a dialogue about someone who appeared in the X Factor as 'more worthy. than the next person, beggars belief.....!

I certainly did not give that as someone more worthy, I gave it as an example of the 'Vulnerable people' So vulnerable that she and her lawyer both claimed there was a bullet with her name on it and she would be shot with that bullet if they were to return home to Zimbabwe. She was so worried by such a scenario that this vulnerable person went home on holiday on different occasions.

What beggars belief is that so much taxpayer's money can be abused to keep these chancers in so many last chance saloons. No matter how often their appeal is rejected there is always another taxpayer funded avenue for them to travel and the only direction they don't travel is home.
Duettists
If these people are genuine asylum seekers, they have already been through a great deal of hardship in their own countries which motivated them to try to make a better life for them elsewhere. I feel particularly sorry for the children who will be uprooted from their schools at a moment's notice and sent on somewhere else. It is difficult enough to settle in a strange country without being shoved from pillar to post.
jcjamieson
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 15th Nov 2010, 10:16am) *
Surely the point of this is that they are "Asylum Seekers" and therefore haven't yet been given Asylum? We don't know how many of these people really need asylum or are just Financial Asylum Seekers. Surely Charity begins at home? As a disabled ex Serviceman, in Winter, I often have to choose between eating and heating, so for me to hear no complaints about that but an uproar about "Asylum Seekers" and that the Government is increasing international aid to Middle Eastern Countries that are training and Funding the Terrorists killing people all over the World, is a real slap in the Face. I'm almost being treated as a criminal by the Benefits Agency's (and I know of Many others in the same position) and no one complains, but when they want to move a couple of "Asylum Seekers" to another part of Scotland there is a Public outcry. Thanks guys.

I agree with you all the way. I sympathise with you regarding you being an ex serviceman and getting the third degree from from the benefits agency. The money that could be so wisely spent helping our wounded troops and helping the people in the UK, who really need it, is being sent to terrorist groups, funding phoney asylum seekers and dishing it out to illegal immigrants!
We know ,but how long will it be before the politicians get their noses out of the trough and stop funding these mobs?
Advocates of multiculturalism are destroying western civilization all over the world. Asylum seekers prepared to "fit-in" to western democracies should be welcomed. Others should be seen for what they are. Merkel just admitted this in Germany that multiculturalism doesn't work and ultimately destroys societies.
John Todd
QUOTE (Guest @ 15th Nov 2010, 09:36am) *
Sorry, charity begins at home.

HEAR HEAR. lets start looking after our own before we start taking in others from so called "poor countrys"...!!!
GG
An update on this story today:

Phil Taylor, regional director of the UK Border Agency, has said that the agency is working with other housing providers, such as YMCA (now known as Ypeople) and the Angel Group, to ensure asylum seekers are properly accommodated while their asylum claims are considered and court appeals to the are concluded.

Mr Taylor added:
"Letters have been sent to all asylum seekers currently housed by Glasgow City Council, explaining what could happen if they are required to move accommodation and further communication is planned to keep asylum seekers advised of future developments.

We are very hopeful that the majority of the asylum seekers affected by this change of contract will remain in their current accommodation.

If a move to new accommodation is required we will aim to give at least 14 days notice, where possible, and the costs of the move will fall to the new accommodation provider and not to the asylum seekers themselves."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11756738

GG.
Dylan
An emotive subject .

I have listened to all the arguments for and against and most have raised or stated pertinent questions and comments.

Again I think it is a question of personal conscience.

My position is that we have a duty to look after these people untill they are judged to be genuine or not.

They are given vouchers and money because they are not allowed to work. I believe that most of them want to work.
If we did not give them money and shelter they would starve and or freeze to death. I know that is a simplistic analogy but it is simple truth.

They have a right to buy phones for the same reason we buy them , ie., the need to communicate ,they may not have land lines .This is not a luxury.!

Charlty may very well begin at home but for me it does not end at home.

Did someone not say that between Faith Hope and Charity the greatest is Charity ( I paraphrase )

They have my sympathy and my support.
Janetta
"Glasgow's Miles Better" - we embrace equality and diversity for all and that's why asylum seekers feel at home here. We should be honoured that different cultures want to be part of our city, and stand with them in their fight to stay in the City of Glasgow!
TeeHeeHee
You took your time there Janetta tongue.gif
Welcome to the boards biggrin.gif
weebren3
I forgot to say,I agree about the goverment,it is all to do with getting votes too during elections. I will add why give them false hope,when glasgow have so many job cuts.How do we know if they get education they will go back to were they come from and not pay back what was given as freedom,use it to cause harm to others.who is going to pay there rent? the tax payer who is having A hard time living from day to day for food.I would share what I have, but there is A fine line,we must look after our own Country,and by the way I dont believe phones they do not need,buy food,pay rent or work for the coummunity to give back.
Bren
It is interesting to note that last month councillors in Birmingham stood up and took their own decision to end their city's contract with the UK Border Agency because there was "a long waiting list for homes" and insisting that the city needed all its properties "for our own people".

Why do we never hear such open and honest language from councillors in Glasgow? Why are our councillors so reluctant to stand up for the needs of the city's "own people" when thousands of long-term residents are waiting for decent accommodation in the city they have called home for generations?
Dylan
QUOTE (Janetta @ 16th Nov 2010, 01:21am) *
"Glasgow's Miles Better" - we embrace equality and diversity for all and that's why asylum seekers feel at home here. We should be honoured that different cultures want to be part of our city, and stand with them in their fight to stay in the City of Glasgow!

I like that Janetta. !!
benny
QUOTE (Janetta @ 16th Nov 2010, 01:21am) *

Welcome to the board, Janetta. I can't say that I agree with you though. Like many others on the board, I believe we should look after our own before we attempt to solve the problems of the larger world.

I'm interested to know exactly who the "we" in your statement refers to. Most of the "we"s that I know, are definitely not in favour of having large numbers of asylum seekers plonked down in their locality.
bigdrew
OK let us embrace the Glasgow Smiles Better campaign again.....but remember, when these people come to live in amongst us all, they, and not us have to become part of the overall community.
And oppose with zest, current attempts to form 'communities within communities' creating zones where we, as native Scots feel threatened by going into 'Islam and Muslim areas' and feeling that we had no right to do so......
The Glasgow experience has always been to incorporate all factions and minority groups into our community, but many of these groups are now demanding, and getting, separate living conditions and support suitable to their 'ethnic needs'.
Therefore they will never become full members of the Glasgow Community, as part of their own doctrine is to exclude sections of Scottish culture as 'alien'...
So there will have to be a time when we have to say....."enough is enough"
You left Nigeria under threat, you left Iran under threat, you left wherever under threat, and we helped you.....but that does not mean you can form your own country within this land, and become antagonists within the country that 'saved you from violence or whatever'.
Comments about these people buying phones and having influence after appearing on TV programmes, as being 'the norm' is farcical as the same people would not have the cash or support in their own country to get the same items.
I agree with the ex-serviceman complaining about the Benefits Agency and its processes that tend to stop genuine claimers getting help, at the same time knowing that Support Agencies playing the Race and At Risk card for asylum seekers......get as much from the system as possible...!
Such lop-sided support will eventually lead to trouble and violence, as 'Native Residents' begin to question the entire system, and who gets what is finally brought into the open.....
*red rooster*
Wouldn't it be "right on " and so politically correct if Newton Mearns & Bearsden could be given the chance of embracing a few thousand members of the asylum seeking community, I'm sure it's only fair that they too should enjoy the benefits and life enriching experience that the multicultural paradise of Govanhill enjoys.

I'm sure the warm hearted citizens who are enlightened enough to embrace diversity would be willing to pay a supplement to the council tax to raise money for some nice low cost accommodation, temples, mosques, community centres etc to be built in the aforementioned culturally and diversity challenged areas.

Anyone opposing the idea can receive the ultimate sanction of being branded racist.

Lets spread the goodness and generosity to all areas.

As far as charity begins at home why not allow the at risk and vulnerable members of the sink estate community claim asylum in Newton Mearns.
ashfield
I watched a programme on BBC this morning about the 60s and how the decade influenced the future. They showed archive film from 1962 of people reacting to immigrants moving into Brittain with comments like, "they're dirty", "they want to live beside us in our streets", "they don't understand the English way of life", "they're taking our jobs".

Well, we've learned a lot then.
wee davy
There's something all a bit sad and distasteful about this sorry situation.
1500 people being given notice of eviction, just before Christmas? hmmm
jamjar51
QUOTE (wee davy @ 16th Nov 2010, 06:11pm) *
There's something all a bit sad and distasteful about this sorry situation.
1500 people being given notice of eviction, just before Christmas? hmmm

About 1480 will probably be over the moon to get moved out of Glasgow, they will probably demand relocation to the Costas for some sunshine and sangria. Glasgow will be smiles better when they see Glasgow smiles behind them. Free house and free money but would it make you want to stay in Glasgow.

We're all off to Sunny Spain Eh Viva el Bilbo we're gonnae take up half yer hame eh Viva por favor.

Spelling no much cop in Spanish..........no much better in English but that's another story.
Personally, I could not care. I have been on the housing list for 12 years now and not been offered a house yet. Reasons: I am not a destitute refugee, asylum seeker, single parent, drug or alchohol abuser. The list goes on.....

Perfectly fit and working with no criminal record, and no dependants seemingly is not good enough to be offered a house at no cost to the government.

The border agency is quite right to stop these payments. If they can't afford the housing, they should not be here. I am at risk every time I leave my home as there are so many drug and alchohol abusers in the area along with the local neds who will stab, mug, or whatever just because you happen to be there. Give money to police the areas, not to refugees/asylum seekers who seem to take our country for granted. By all means, they are not the only ones working the system but the government are doing something hopefully to put a stop to it or get the numbers of spongers down. What we do not need is money being spent on the many asylum seekers. Do what Australia does. Have to have so much money in account to show you can support yourself long enough to find a job and pay for their own house whether it be buying or renting before they get entry to the country and who is giving these people visa's or whatever to enter the country?

Sorry, I need a house and not getting one before people who can't even pay the rent, then it makes me very unsympathetic towards anyone getting a house before me. Not to mention all the other help they get.
Why have I not been offered a house in 12 years, but "immigrants" can get a house almost right away? Where are these houses?
bilbo.s
Hauf ma hame ? A could be daein´wi the rent money richt eneugh. Bring it on !

Bilbo S. Rachman cool.gif
GG
QUOTE (*red rooster* @ 16th Nov 2010, 01:46pm) *
Wouldn't it be "right on " and so politically correct if Newton Mearns & Bearsden could be given the chance of embracing a few thousand members of the asylum seeking community, I'm sure it's only fair that they too should enjoy the benefits and life enriching experience that the multicultural paradise of Govanhill enjoys. ...

Posted on another topic:
Academic wants refugees in middle-class areas - The Scotsman
June 2001

One of the country's top racism experts has reignited the asylum seekers issue by calling for them to be moved into middle class areas - and has offered a basement flat where he lives in order to lead by example.

Academic Alistair McIntosh attacked the Home Office and Scottish councils for fuelling violence in deprived areas of Glasgow by using them as "dumping grounds" for asylum seekers. ...

Mr McIntosh said: "Dumping asylum seekers in areas of social deprivation is the wrong decision. These areas have enough problems of their own.

"Asylum seekers need to be spread throughout Scottish society into the more des res areas - and it needs more of us who live in des res areas to stand up against racism. That is why I contacted my council offering the empty flat next to us." ...

Despite recent events Mr McIntosh said he believed refugees should continue to come to Scotland, but that more should be done to help them.

He said: "Scotland should be taking as many refugees as it can possibly absorb.

"The Home Office and councils have made some bad decisions by trying to focus asylum seekers into certain communities. It was bound to be asking for trouble."

The Scottish Refugee Council (SRC) yesterday said they supported Mr McIntosh's comments on standards of accommodation and added that asylum -seekers should have access to "the housing options of any other citizen".

A spokesman for the Home Office denied that asylum seekers were being deliberately dumped in poor areas. He added: "When we are procuring accommodation we have a legal obligation that providers acquire suitable properties in areas approved by the National Asylum Support Service. NASS has rejected and will continue to reject properties which are considered unsuitable."

Yesterday a spokesman for the Scottish Conservative Party gave the call to move asylum seekers into middle class areas a lukewarm response.

The spokesman added: "It is a fact that sufficient accommodation for 2,000 families can only be found in areas like Sighthill.

"We would question if the housing exists in what is termed middle class areas, but we would also question why so many families need to be housed in the first place. ...

GG.
Melody
I wish they would house many of these poor families in the more upmarket areas. It may help to educate some of the very comfortable twee people who live in them and help to brighten up their lives. Given half a chance the children of those poor families blossom and learn English so quickly it is staggering. Many of them would make you extremely humble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.