Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asylum Seekers Face Glasgow Exodus
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Jupiter
Georgina,who are the cheap providers you are referring to? Where would you propose as the best place to accomodate asylum seekers?
As far as Im aware,and Im happy to be corrected,any EU citizen coming to the UK has the same rights as UK citizens and so after the formalities with the immigration,customs etc are completed they can apply for a council house wherever they like.
hope
QUOTE (Guest @ 15th Nov 2010, 09:36am) *
Sorry, charity begins at home.

Asylum seekers who can afford to travel half way across the world to the UK and it seems they only want the UK... you only have to look at what they have done to the UK and its not good ask the public.

By law they should have went to the nearest country to where they come from.
Jupiter
Hope, What have "They" done to the country?
Scotsman
I applaud the work of the SNP elected representatives who have sought to bring this matter to the attention of Westminster and Holyrood. Quite clearly the councillors at City Chambers are not up to the job (see the story in The Sun today!).

Glasgow has received hundreds of millions of pounds as revenue from the 'asylum industry' but where exactly are the benefits to the city? The social housing stock is so dilapidated (we are told) that the GHA is busy demolishing 30,000 homes in the city - almost 40% of its stock. And this at a time when rancid economic conditions will throw more and more families onto the scrapheap of poverty and homelessness.

At the same time performance in the city's schools, already the lowest, is sinking faster still.

Surely some of the 100s of millions paid by the Home Office should have been targeted at improving housing and education? It seems not.

The truth is that members of Glasgow City Council thought they could take the UK Government for a ride and by all accounts it did when both were under Labour control. Now the new government has signaled its intention that it will not be held to ransom by local politicians wanting to wring ever-more money from Westminster for providing a service that apparently every other council in the UK (except London) can (and will) do cheaper.

Maybe Glasgow councillors should be paying more attention to the thousands of Glaswegians who are effectively homeless and are desperate to get on the housing ladder. In these straitened it is important that we look after our own. Charity begins at home!
Scotsman
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 19th Nov 2010, 03:26pm) *
Hope, What have "They" done to the country?

It's not what "they" have done to the country - it's what our politicians have done to the country. It is only natural for the world's poor, needy and frightened to want to come to the UK. It's the job of politicians to manage and control this process so that our efforts to help the downtrodden are within our ability to do so. And to make sure also that our own poor, needy and frightened are cared for. Unfortunately our politicians have completely failed in both respects.

Who knows what the long-term consequences will be for us all?
wee davy
I'm beginning to get a little confused by this thread (not difficult right now) but if you want to discuss IMMIGRATION, would you perhaps start another thread?

If you want to discuss the Asylum Seekers issue - then please do - however I believe it is a non-issue as the government (Whitehall) has more than likely realised their getting into a bit of a fankle with the whole thing!

Immigration has its own specific problems blaming asylum seekers doesn't
even BEGIN to address the immigration issues. I will say it AGAIN - they do not even know HOW many illegals are already IN the country over the last ten years - and how many continue to arrive each piggin DAY!

Student numbers, and official figures for immigrant workers doesn't give us a CLUE - so what about family members who arrive - legitimately, and don't go back, for example?

Illegal Immigration is a MASSIVE problem in this country most immigrants will tell you that! grrrr

(Welcome to the boards Scotsman, if I haven't already done so! are you a 'banished' Glaswegian then? lol)
ashfield
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 19th Nov 2010, 06:48pm) *
I applaud the work of the SNP elected representatives who have sought to bring this matter to the attention of Westminster and Holyrood.

I agree Scotsman.......... but why did it take so long for Alex Salmond to make a statement on the issue, after all, Nicola Sturgeon is a Glasgow MSP and must have been aware of the situation from the outset. It was odd seeing menbers of Glasgow City Council taking part in the asylum seekers protest rally in George Square, they were clearly blaming the UK border agency for situation.
jamjar51
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 19th Nov 2010, 08:28am) *
Georgina,who are the cheap providers you are referring to? Where would you propose as the best place to accomodate asylum seekers?
As far as Im aware,and Im happy to be corrected,any EU citizen coming to the UK has the same rights as UK citizens and so after the formalities with the immigration,customs etc are completed they can apply for a council house wherever they like.

EU citizens are not Asylum seekers, ie the Poles came and had to work, they didn't get top of the housing lists. These people are financial migrants and willing to work, assimilate and they pay their way because they don't qualify for benefits or housing for 12 months.

The problems arise from the Asylum seekers who say they are fleeing all sorts but keep fleeing until they get to Britain. If there was no benefit to get to Britain they would all have stopped in Europe. They get housed first before people born, raised and working here.
Mathieson
QUOTE (*red rooster* @ 16th Nov 2010, 02:46pm) *
Wouldn't it be "right on " and so politically correct if Newton Mearns & Bearsden could be given the chance of embracing a few thousand members of the asylum seeking community, I'm sure it's only fair that they too should enjoy the benefits and life enriching experience that the multicultural paradise of Govanhill enjoys.

I'm sure the warm hearted citizens who are enlightened enough to embrace diversity would be willing to pay a supplement to the council tax to raise money for some nice low cost accommodation, temples, mosques, community centres etc to be built in the aforementioned culturally and diversity challenged areas.

Anyone opposing the idea can receive the ultimate sanction of being branded racist.

Lets spread the goodness and generosity to all areas.

As far as charity begins at home why not allow the at risk and vulnerable members of the sink estate community claim asylum in Newton Mearns.

What have you got against the people of Newton Mearns? Was it them who brought all the asylum seekers into your area? I think not. If you're looking for somebody to blame then take a look at Glasgow's Labour Council who brought all these people in so as to avail themselves of the reward money in the shape of grants they got for doing so. In fact, don't just blame them, blame the people who voted them in.

It now seems the money has run out and the asylum seekers have served their purpose so the council's benevolence is evaporating along with it.
TeeHeeHee
That's a good take.

(Off topic; this is for weedavy ... that was post #6666. Is that good or bad unsure.gif rolleyes.gif )
GG
Mario Conti, Archbishop of Glasgow, yesterday criticised the decision (now postponed) to move 1300 asylum seekers from Glasgow. His comments, coming on the eve of a second organised protest by asylum seekers in Glasgow, highlighted the "pain" and "distress" caused by the letters sent by the UK Border Agency.

Archbishop Conti said:
“There must be a solution to the financial issues behind this decision which does not involve such human suffering.

I call upon the UK Government, the Scotland Office and the Home Office to call a halt to this dreadful decision which, if allowed to stand, will cause untold distress and pain.

Few of our fellow Glaswegians are as vulnerable as those brothers and sisters of ours who have come to the city as asylum seekers. Their dignity and rights cannot be trampled upon without doing damage to our best traditions of care and compassion."

At Holyrood, Furst Minister Alex Salmond was asked by Glasgow MSP Anne McLaughlin if he would intervene and discuss the matter with the Home Office.

In response, Mr Salmond said:
"I would condemn the nature of the letter asylum seekers received. They should be treated with respect and with dignity.

The letter was inappropriate and I will make these views known to the Home Secretary.

Negotiations between the UK Border Agency and Glasgow City Council should be re-opened immediately."

In a separate development, pupils from Lourdes Secondary, Cardonald, handed a petition with over 1000 signatures to Mr Salmond. The petition called for all asylum seekers in Glasgow to be allowed to stay in the city.

GG.
jamjar51
QUOTE (GG @ 20th Nov 2010, 08:28am) *
In a separate development, pupils from Lourdes Secondary, Cardonald, handed a petition with over 1000 signatures to Mr Salmond. The petition called for all asylum seekers in Glasgow to be allowed to stay in the city.

GG.

The same pupils will soon be looking for jobs and housing soon only to find all the money has been spent on the asylum seekers they have been indoctrinated into supporting. As the saying goes 'Education is wasted on the young.'
Mathieson
QUOTE (GG @ 20th Nov 2010, 09:28am) *
Mario Conti, Archbishop of Glasgow, yesterday criticised the decision (now postponed) to move 1300 asylum seekers from Glasgow. His comments, coming on the eve of a second organised protest by asylum seekers in Glasgow, highlighted the "pain" and "distress" caused by the letters sent by the UK Border Agency...

That's fine then, maybe Mario's church can dip into it's billions in assests world-wide and pay for their keep. Won't hold my breath though.
GG
Agcording to Linda Dempster, deputy director for the UK Border Agency in Scotland and Northern Ireland, the delay in re-housing asylum seekers in Glasgow is only temporary and the dispersal programme will still go ahead.

Speaking to the BBC today, Ms Dempster said:
"We share the city council's wish that these changes are handled sensitively taking full account of individual circumstances.

We will continue to work closely with the council, who we met this week, to ensure the transition is handled as smoothly as possible and disruption is kept to a minimum."

GG.
Dexter St. Clair
They're transferring a contract and Ms Dempster appears to have less knowledge of TUPe than the Ms. McSheffrey (UKBA Contract manager) who caused the fracas in the first instance.

Ms McSheffrey had not even spoken to Ypeople (The YMCA without the Christianity) before advising the council that's who their replacement would be.

Some of us on this board pay UK taxes which pays for the Borders Agency and we could identify a couple of senior public servants who should be removed thus saving us some money.
wee davy
At LEAST a couple Dexter. EACH!
jamjar51
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th Nov 2010, 06:53pm) *
At LEAST a couple Dexter. EACH!

Hear Hear Sir!
Scotsman
QUOTE (ashfield @ 19th Nov 2010, 07:18pm) *
I agree Scotsman.......... but why did it take so long for Alex Salmond to make a statement on the issue, after all, Nicola Sturgeon is a Glasgow MSP and must have been aware of the situation from the outset. It was odd seeing menbers of Glasgow City Council taking part in the asylum seekers protest rally in George Square, they were clearly blaming the UK border agency for situation.

You'd probably need to ask Mr Salmond that Ashfield, but it has been a very busy week for him with the budget and the Tartan Tax stuff. As for the cooncillors, they're probably protesting the loss of a nice little earner for the city coffers - probably helped pay for their fleet of limos! smile.gif
Scotsman
QUOTE (Dexter%20St%2E%20Clair @ 20th Nov 2010, 06:27pm) *
They're transferring a contract and Ms Dempster appears to have less knowledge of TUPe than the Ms. McSheffrey (UKBA Contract manager) who caused the fracas in the first instance.

Ms McSheffrey had not even spoken to Ypeople (The YMCA without the Christianity) before advising the council that's who their replacement would be.

Some of us on this board pay UK taxes which pays for the Borders Agency and we could identify a couple of senior public servants who should be removed thus saving us some money.

A lack of knowledge about the intricacies of TUPe'ing didn't stop a certain ex-cooncil leader jetison 1000s of council jobs into the hands of the pseudo-private sector. Why should it stop UKBA? How do you know UKBA failed to meet its pre-transfer contractual obligations?

As for Ypeople, well, they're under no obligation post-transfer - so I can't see them worrying about the arrangement!
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 21st Nov 2010, 08:14pm) *
A lack of knowledge about the intricacies of TUPe'ing didn't stop a certain ex-cooncil leader jetison 1000s of council jobs into the hands of the pseudo-private sector. Why should it stop UKBA? How do you know UKBA failed to meet its pre-transfer contractual obligations?

As for Ypeople, well, they're under no obligation post-transfer - so I can't see them worrying about the arrangement!

TUP ? UKBA? Ypeople ? Aldous Huxley had nae idea. unsure.gif
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 21st Nov 2010, 07:14pm) *
How do you know UKBA failed to meet its pre-transfer contractual obligations?

[A senior official within GCC] told me.

[Edit: Name provided, but removed to protect privacy, GG.]
TeeHeeHee
The house that Jack (the British tax payer) built.

Click to view attachment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...iled-years.html
benny
Aye, that'll larn him, eh? A whole 3 years fur swindlin over a hundred grand. Nae doubt he'll study furra degree while he's inside, courtesy of the taxpayer.
Dexter St. Clair
Back on topic.

Is this the real reason for removing the contract.

One senior political source yesterday told The Herald of growing suspicions that the Home Office wants to wind down the overall numbers of asylum seekers in Glasgow because of the public outcry when they are removed.

The source said: “Over the years we’ve had the Dungavel protests, the Ay family and the Glasgow Girls, Precious Mhango and the demonstrations about the dawn raids.

“This doesn’t happen elsewhere in the UK and you’ve got to ask whether it is less hassle for UKBA to have Glasgow’s asylum seekers elsewhere.”

In the traditions of The Glasgow Rent Strike, its support for the miners and Upper Clyde shipbuilding I'd say.
wee davy
re; our romanian 'friend'

Whats muddied the waters here, even more, was the fact that Romania got full membership of the European Union in - guess when? - 2007! He would have no longer had asylum seeker status, with indefinite leave to remain - but full EU citizenship! What I find incredible is this scumbag (dealing in child beggars will seal his fate for a VERY long time) managed to do all this on a FALSE identity!

Its a complete farce.

He was and is, an illegal immigrant, and always will be - simple as that. Using asylum should be a serious offence, in its own right.

Hence deportation when he's finished his term here - as he has no status.

Lets just hope he doesn't make it back again - which appears to happen all to often, as well.

The UK's immigration system is clearly totally inadequate, yet we persist with it.

Wonder if all his 'family' share the same false named identity?

(btw I would say, very MUCH relevant to the current topic!)
Dexter St. Clair
I'm a Glaswegian here to talk about Glaswegians who are being evicted because of nonsense going on in a publicly funded body and i can spot an interloper regardless of their current abode and accent.

Anything to say on UKBA's handlong of this? Anything to say to Glaswegians working at Blindcraft who are caught in the crossfire?

Anything to say to the young Glaswegians who see their friends being moved from their school and forced to live elsewhere in Scotland because they ain't being sent back to their country of origin.

What is people say in the part of the country you moved to?

"Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman,
but tha’ can’t tell ‘im much."
benny
Aye, ah'd like tae say that If ah wis an asylum seeker ah'd be only too bloody glad tae be housed somewhere safe, whether it wis in Glesga or Ecclefechan.

So, OK, they hiv tae make new friends in a different area - thousands of Glasgwegians have done it before withoot bitchin aboot it.
Heather
Aye Dexter, and what about the thousands of indegenous British on Housing waiting lists, it's them I feel sorry for.

That Romanian should have got ten years not three and his house should be sold to pay back the money he claimed by fraud.
Scotsman
As a UK taxpayer I am delighted that the UKBA has acted in my interests to avoid having to pay an extra 5M over the next two years. The increased costs are entirely due to the fact that Glasgow Housing Association is bent on a disastrous policy of demolishing tens of thousands of socially rented homes - gone forever - just so that Glasgow City Council can get their hands on the vacant land to flog off to private developers.

I am apparently not alone in my praise for UKBA judging that 70% of the 300 people who voted here do not want UKBA to give the council an extra penny for housing asylum seekers in my home town.
Mathieson
I think Glasgow City Council should ask for volunteers from the citizenry to give free board and lodgings to these so-called asylum seekers then the people like Dexter who are apparently over-brimming with generous abandon can spoil them to their heart's content in the privacy of their own homes and slap themselves on the back for their benevolence while the rest of us can be thankful we are not paying any longer for people who had been taking us for a ride.
wee davy
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 22nd Nov 2010, 07:28pm) *
I'm a Glaswegian here to talk about Glaswegians who are being evicted because of nonsense going on in a publicly funded body and i can spot an interloper regardless of their current abode and accent.

Anything to say on UKBA's handlong of this? Please see earlier posts, Dexter.
Anything to say to Glaswegians working at Blindcraft who are caught in the crossfire? No.

Anything to say to the young Glaswegians who see their friends being moved from their school and forced to live elsewhere in Scotland because they ain't being sent back to their country of origin.

I will assume this was directed at me, also. Yes,... I do have something to say to the young Glaswegians of today - Firstly, 'Never make assumptions'. Secondly, as I said in an earlier post, the initial decision, (such as it was) was a complete travesty.
The point I was TRYING to make, is it is hardly surprising attitudes harden, when we are ALL faced with such incompetence, on such a 'Global' scale (by global, think parochial - ie UK)

Well, as one Gleswegian tae another, Dexter - why don't you tell me I need your permission to discuss something on this forum? (which has wider implications for the rest of the country). Or did ye swally the Oxford Concise this morning, fer breakfast?
Am I to understand I have to ask, before making a comment?
'Interloper'? Supercilious-ness isn't one of your 'better' traits, I have to say, Sir.

As one who had to fight in defence of a wee friend of mine, who happened to have different coloured skin ( something of 'wonder' when I was at school, in Glasgow pal), when he wiz being bullied - I think you've got quite a cheek.

I'll just treat your last comment, with the complete contempt it deserves.
You neither know me - OR the reasons why I now find myself living where I do.
As for being a yorkshireman - I'd rather be a stubborn one of them, than a pompous bully.

(Ye goat ma dander up, awright pal)
*Jenny*
Very well said Davy.... it's good to see that you stood up to bullies then.... and that you continue to do so today! Ey up, lad! smile.gif
GG
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 22nd Nov 2010, 07:28pm) *
I'm a Glaswegian here to talk about Glaswegians who are being evicted because of nonsense going on in a publicly funded body and i can spot an interloper regardless of their current abode and accent. ...

We are all Glaswegians on these boards – regardless of where we currently live – and we are here to discuss our great city. If you take the time to read what people write on here, you will find that many Glaswegians were saddened, but compelled, to leave the city of their birth in search of a better life elsewhere. Is this a reason for you to attack them in such a pernicious manner? Do you see the irony here?

Back 'on topic' now...

GG.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (GG @ 23rd Nov 2010, 08:31am) *
We are all Glaswegians on these boards – regardless of where we currently live –

... and some of us thought we'd be back some day - but life's not always like that, is it?
glasgow lass
I relocated myself and family at least four times in my life, just a bother and lots of work but no big deal. Once kids make a few new friends , they're usually fine. Will the asylum seekers have jobs to go to when they are relocated? Sorry, but I have't had time to read everything on this.
wee davy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11800778

Have a read of this news report, lass - 20th Nov, relatively up to date.
Jupiter
If and when the asylum seekers pack up and move on will they be replaced by our near neighbours in Eire where the economic and work situation is dire?
If and when the asylum seekers pack up and move on will they be replaced by our near neighbours in Eire where the economic and work situation is dire?

No need for them to come here. We are already bailing them out to the tune of 7 billion. No doubt there are some who will say it is worth it to keep them on their side of the Irish Sea.
glasgow lass
Thank you for that read davy, Im truly sorry for the dificulties these people have had to endure in the past and some still on -going with emotional problems, but its not as if they are being sent back to the country that they fled from.
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Heather @ 22nd Nov 2010, 09:43pm) *
Aye Dexter, and what about the thousands of indegenous British on Housing waiting lists, it's them I feel sorry for.

There's a waiting list for houses in Castlemilk? Really?

Nae waiting list in the West End.

https://homechoice.gha.org.uk/SearchResults...22%3d%27West%27
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 22nd Nov 2010, 10:15pm) *
I am apparently not alone in my praise for UKBA judging that 70% of the 300 people who voted here do not want UKBA to give the council an extra penny for housing asylum seekers in my home town.

Aye Edinburgh folk know how to offer a warm welcome.

You'll have had your tea!
Dexter St. Clair
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 23rd Nov 2010, 12:15am) *
while the rest of us can be thankful we are not paying any longer for people who had been taking us for a ride.

You will continue to pay for immigrants to this country till they're eligible for employment regardless of where else in Scotland they abide.

Any advice for the workforce at Blindcraft?

Or in your view are they too taking us for a ride?
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Nov 2010, 02:35pm) *

Click to view attachment

... OOPS
Scotsman
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 23rd Nov 2010, 11:22pm) *
There's a waiting list for houses in Castlemilk? Really?

There are up to 200,000 people on housing waiting lists across Scotland - 1.8 million across the UK. In Glasgow the figure (up to 20,000) is difficult to judge because of the number of local housing organisastions and the council's failure to implement a Common Housing Register despite promising to do so for years. None of this will bother the city's Labour councillors of course as Labour - when in power - tried to destroy social housing by reducing the number of socially rented homes built while also increasing the number of council homes demolished in order to drive up rental prices for wealthy buy-to-let chancers.

So.... there are many people in Castlemilk waiting for a decent home.... just like in Springburn:

A local unemployed man agrees to talk. He points over at the newly refurbished flats on the other side of the roundabout [from the Red Road flats in Springburn]. "Before they were renovated, we got a petition going about the unfair allocation of the flats," he says. "We got 500 signatures. All the asylum seekers were getting them. We put the petition to the council, but I was told I was being racist. But they are coming into this country and getting everything they want." Twenty minutes later, he comes back to show us the petition. And he asks us not to use his name, because he fears that if the council finds out he's been complaining, he'll lose his chance for a house.

Source: Scotland on Sunday newspaper from October 2009.
jamjar51
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 23rd Nov 2010, 11:28pm) *
You will continue to pay for immigrants to this country till they're eligible for employment regardless of where else in Scotland they abide.

Any advice for the workforce at Blindcraft?

Or in your view are they too taking us for a ride?

And we'll be paying for them even when they are eligible as they will be firmly entrenched in the black economy, claiming benefits and paying no tax.

As we have to have cutbacks in every aspect of life why not a cutback on these people. The vast majority of people are fed up listening to the same old story of persecution etc etc. They fled their homes with nothing.............. Yet still they manage to travel half the planet for free to end up where they win a house and get paid for evermore at taxpayers expense.

No sympathy for any of them.
*peter*
Shame on you Glasgow and London.
jamjar51
QUOTE (*peter* @ 24th Nov 2010, 11:59am) *
Shame on you Glasgow and London.

Shame for what, shame for stopping funding a sham? Plenty other far more worthwhile causes than constantly throwing good money after bad.
I totally disagree with the Administrator, I believe that the majority of these so called "asylum seekers" in Glasgow and elsewhere are no more than economic migrants and I have no sympathy for them at all.
Heather
Asylum Seekers should not be given house's. They should all be put in to Holding Centre's where families could all be kept together.
Teachers should be provided to teach them English in the event they are allowed to stay.

If they are allowed to stay, then they should be put on the Housing List at the bottom like anyone else waiting for a house and not at the top.
wombat
heather sezz: They should all be put in to Holding Centre's where families could all be kept together.

rolleyes.gif we've got they "holding centres" ower here heather ,
they're called "detention centres"people suicide in thim,tragic really.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.