Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fifty Pitches
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Sport & Leisure
fory
laugh.gif MANY MEMORIES OF THE FIFTY PITCHES ANYBODY REMEMBER THEM.
kenb
the fifty pitches were inpaisley i think . i played there on sundays they were on thee way to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
annie laurie
The Fifty Pitches, I remember were just off the Sheildhall Rd in Drumoyne
off Meiklewood Rd
Used to go and watch my Boyfriend play Fitba there in the 60's

cheers laugh.gif
enrique
huh.gif tongue.gif Fifty pitches were at the end of Drumoyne and the start of Cardonald . in my day there were wooden huts to change in and they also had small pitches and small goals for the younger players ie Lifeboys etc, they spread all the way over to the Lumi Lamp factory opposite Hardgate road, there was no lighting in the huts and you had to scurry about in the dark if you dropped a sock or some item of clothing, they were all black dirt or ash parks to start with then some red ash started to appear, bit sore when you went in for the old slide tackle, the famous Harmony Row youth club had some of there teams playing there on a regular bases, players like Alec and Martin Ferguson, Andy Geogan (aberdeen),Gordon McQueen, John Grant Hibs , Joe Wark , Motherwell, to mention but a few, it was well known if you fancied a game you just turned up with your boots and there was always a team with players short, i remeber a guy called Jim Driver he played for Kilmarnockk , but he was that keen on football you could find him most nights standing with his boots at the huts looking for a game , i am sure he played under many different names over the years great memories
irrie
QUOTE (kenb @ 21st Oct 2011, 02:40am) *
the fifty pitches were inpaisley i think . i played there on sundays they were on thee way to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kenb. I believe you are thinking of the Racecourse at St James in Paisley. Played there often and there were a lot of pitches. Not so many now as they were taken away for the motorway. Cheers
*mick m*
The fifty pitches were in Drumoyne just off Sheildhall Road and in Cardonald as far as i remember (back to 79) and not in Paisley (I may be wrong) but the scheme that I stayed in Drumoyne also had the Fifty Pitches pub. Unless you were from the scheme it was not a place that strangers frequented unless looking for a bed in the Southern General for the night, drugs, a wife, money lenders, a drunken husband trashing his/family wages or maybe a pint of stale beer/lager. But the fitys were in Drumoyne and Cardonald. I also have great memories.
Billy Boil
QUOTE (enrique @ 21st Oct 2011, 12:08pm) *
huh.gif tongue.gif Fifty pitches were at the end of Drumoyne and the start of Cardonald . in my day there were wooden huts to change in and they also had small pitches and small goals for the younger players ie Lifeboys etc, they spread all the way over to the Lumi Lamp factory opposite Hardgate road, there was no lighting in the huts and you had to scurry about in the dark if you dropped a sock or some item of clothing, they were all black dirt or ash parks to start with then some red ash started to appear, bit sore when you went in for the old slide tackle, the famous Harmony Row youth club had some of there teams playing there on a regular bases, players like Alec and Martin Ferguson, Andy Geogan (aberdeen),Gordon McQueen, John Grant Hibs , Joe Wark , Motherwell, to mention but a few, it was well known if you fancied a game you just turned up with your boots and there was always a team with players short, i remeber a guy called Jim Driver he played for Kilmarnockk , but he was that keen on football you could find him most nights standing with his boots at the huts looking for a game , i am sure he played under many different names over the years great memories

You mentioned "slide tackles" on the ash pitches. When I was a St. Gerard's we had a student there who slide tackled and got a leg full of cinder ash. His mother cleaned it out and he went to bed, was rushed to the Southern General the Next day where he lost the leg due to gangrene.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.