Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't You Just Love Big Birds ...
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
TeeHeeHee
Of course I've always loved Big Birds ... especially when they're as big as a barn door; and that is one of the names given to the White-tailed Eagle because of the size of it's 8ft wingspan -
The Barn-Door Eagle, recently re-introduced to Scotland after being wiped out in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Enjoy these links.

BBC ... White-tailed Eagle

Arkive ... White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle photos from Finland.
angel
really nice pictures T. smile.gif
Rab-oldname
'Of course I've always loved Big Birds'

Me too Tomi! tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

auchenshuggle
is it me or does she look bigger than 50ft, mind you, it`s a good way to beat the traffic jams. tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
And don't you just love Wildlife Pictures

Click to view attachment

Check these out ...

http://www.terrywhittaker.com/
Dunvegan
We have loads or raptors here. Ospreys, sea eagles, little eagles, falcons and kites of all descriptios and there are no sparrows or stray cats. Yes I like big raptors.
zascot
Plenty here also , my wife is big into birding, I prefer the wildlife.
Dunvegan
As I was looking at this article ,right now, my wife Joan was feeding the young Butcher bird on the balcony. Suddenly all the birds took off under the trees. Three Ospreys appeared overhead on the hunt. When I came round to see , two of them had gone and the butcher bird, confident that we would look after him, came back.
Dunvegan
QUOTE (zascot @ 9th Jun 2011, 04:32pm) *
Plenty here also , my wife is big into birding, I prefer the wildlife.

I'm told the wild life there can give you a nasty bite!!!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 9th Jun 2011, 03:39am) *
We have loads or raptors here. Ospreys, sea eagles, little eagles, falcons and kites of all descriptios and there are no sparrows or stray cats. Yes I like big raptors.

Right above the house extention where my bedroom is, is Mary's mum's terrace; about 80 squ.mtr. Her mum's ex-freind had it surrounded by a 3 meter high wire mesh and wanted to put the same across the top so the buzzards couldn't get at her two cats; effectively turning the terrace into a huge cage. rolleyes.gif
First thing we did when he got his marchin' orders was to rip that all down. wink.gif
If you get a chance to photograph any of the above mentioned Big Birds Dunvegan, would you post them please - in large format. biggrin.gif
Dunvegan
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 10th Jun 2011, 10:22pm) *
Right above the house extention where my bedroom is, is Mary's mum's terrace; about 80 squ.mtr. Her mum's ex-freind had it surrounded by a 3 meter high wire mesh and wanted to put the same across the top so the buzzards couldn't get at her two cats; effectively turning the terrace into a huge cage. rolleyes.gif
First thing we did when he got his marchin' orders was to rip that all down. wink.gif
If you get a chance to photograph any of the above mentioned Big Birds Dunvegan, would you post them please - in large format. biggrin.gif

I am buying a new camera with an extended telephoto range. I have had an Ospray sit and watch me fishing and have been close up to them when they caught their prey. Unfortunateley I did not get good shots. New camera should rectify this TH>
TeeHeeHee
Good luck (viel Glück wink.gif ) then, with the new camera.
angel

Very cool video.

This baby hummingbird was rescued after it was attacked.He nursed it back to health until it decided to stay and be his pet.Very charming video, and be sure to have your sound on.The song in the background is almost as good as the video itself. ENJOY!http://www.wimp.com/babyhummingbird/

Tomi this is just a wee burdie.. biggrin.gif
angel
ooooooooops , did'nt work unsure.gif

beth

Big burds oan ma roof, the local inhabitants of our jungle deciding to make a meal of our dish!
TeeHeeHee
Mary's mum's birthday today. We're all up on the terrace havin' afternoon coffee and cake when a beautiful big hawk came soarin' by ... only to be chased by two crows before I could get the camera out. rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
Read an article today in the (online) paper and had to visit this guy's website (where I couldn't get to download any of the big burdz pictures) but members might just like to have a look through the many photos available there.

Kim Taylor: Wildlife photographer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Check it out here wink.gif
http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/new.ph...p;q=&w=1400

angel

lovely photos Tomi,
I particulary like the European Robin
the Labatross and the cat after the pigeon. biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Angel, in the Cat & Dog Behaviour gallery there's a picture of an adult female Maine Coon at the bottom of the page ... Reminds me of the number of times I've had to put the leather gloves on with my old Norwegian Forest cat. laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
It's an effort sometimes rolleyes.gif
I've managed to find a few sites where I can download some of Kim Taylor's pictures and he really makes the effort to capture his shots as can be seen by the article in The Sun below.

Angel, here's your Robin coming in to land.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And now ... the difficult ones requiring real effort.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://...t:429,r:9,s:779

And last ... but not least, A Big Burd. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

... and one for me tongue.gif

Male Snowy Owl.
Click to view attachment
angel

Hi tomi , I saw the Maine Coon cat and she is a big Kitty ,
now my own little " kitty cat " that's her name , is a
destroyer of homes " Mine in particular " and she is
only half the size of that big coon cat, I don't need gloves ,
I need a gun biggrin.gif sad.gif good night now.
angel

Hi Tomi the wee Robin is just lovely , Thanks,
and also your first photo of the white tailed eagle .
Such a magnificent Bird . biggrin.gif
beth
Bit ma wee hadeda wis real
TeeHeeHee
The world is just full of big burdz ... including this one over Walvis Bay, Namibia

Click to view attachment

but reputedly the biggest wing span; at between 10 and 11 foot, belongs to the Andean Condor

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Comparative size to a 6´6" man.

Click to view attachment

Compare that to the world's smallest burd; the Bee Hummingbird laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And last but not really the last (c'mere, there's more biggrin.gif )

A family of Whooper Swans ... Ahhh - in't they nice ...

Click to view attachment

Chrissie
Yer birds are gorgeous, THH. Loved the thistle one; is that a hummingbird?
Chrissie
Just saw the one with the beautiful orange colored fish. These photos are a treat. smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Chrissie @ 9th Jul 2011, 05:04am) *
Yer birds are gorgeous, THH. Loved the thistle one; is that a hummingbird?

Yes biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 10th Oct 2010, 03:31pm) *
Of course I've always loved Big Birds ... especially when they're as big as a barn door; and that is one of the names given to the White-tailed Eagle because of the size of it's 8ft wingspan -
The Barn-Door Eagle, recently re-introduced to Scotland after being wiped out in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Click to view attachment

From the HERALD SCOTLAND
Sea eagles take to skies once more

Last updated 13 Aug 2011 - 12:10 am
The East Scotland Sea Eagle project has released 16 white-tailed eagles from a secret location in Fife

A group of young white-tailed eagles have taken to the skies for the first time as part of a reintroduction programme in the east of Scotland.

The 16 eagles have been released from a secret location in Fife in the latest efforts to restore the UK's largest bird of prey, which was hunted to extinction by the early 20th century, to its former range.

They arrived from Norway in June and were reared in specially built aviaries, being fed grey squirrel, roe deer and haddock, until they could fledge.

The programme to bring back the eagles, which are also known as sea eagles or dubbed "flying barn doors" because of their 8ft wing span, to the east of Scotland, has seen 80 birds released since it began in 2007. The East Scotland Sea Eagle project is a partnership between RSPB Scotland, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) and the Forestry Commission Scotland.

It follows a successful scheme to reintroduce white-tailed eagles which began in 1975 on the island of Rum and established a population in the west of Scotland.

A recent survey by Progressive Partnership on behalf of the RSPB, said the birds were now helping to generate at least £5 million a year on the island of Mull, off the west coast of Scotland. The survey said income from tourists on Mull has tripled in five years.

But plans to reintroduce the birds in England were shelved last year in the face of public spending cuts, as the Government's conservation agency Natural England said it was withdrawing as lead partner in the scheme.

The Suffolk coast had been identified as offering the best opportunity for bringing back the bird to England but the scheme was opposed by local farmers and landowners concerned that the birds would harm livestock.

Claire Smith, of RSPB Scotland, said: "Each bird has been fitted with a radio and wing tags so both project staff and the public can follow their progress. For 2011 we've chosen red wing tags with white letters and numbers, and as usual any sightings can be reported to us via email. Every day our older birds are spotted in locations up and down the country and we're hopeful in the next couple of years the east of Scotland could have its first wild bred chick."

Susan Davies, SNH policy and advice director, said: "More and more people in the east of Scotland are starting to spot these spectacular sea eagles in places like Loch Leven and throughout Fife as well as further afield. This is a firm sign that the sea eagle is spreading back out into areas of its former range in Scotland."

Well done, the East Scotland Sea Eagle project. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

wombat
rolleyes.gif the wans we get in oz are BIG t hee,had plenty of rabbit traps ripped out and carried away by eagles ,(wie the rabbit still in the trap )wid have tae be strong birds to pull a trap thats spiked into the ground
buggers chewed thru mah waterline (black poly 2mm thick)tae get a drink biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.