Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Ever Fitba Game
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
andypisces
For me the best ever game was real madrid versus eintracht at hampden park. this game had everything you could wish for in a game. After that i would go for the england scotland game at wembley in 1967. I stood there on the terracing with tears running down my cheeks. we had given the so called world champions such a drubbing. I was at those two games but one i did not see and would love to have been there. Scottish league cup final 1971. Partick Thistle 4 Glasgow celtic 1. Back in those days the only fitba we heard of here in canada was on the radio. I had a friend who wanted to bet me the score was a mistake and i being a good thistle supporter new better than to take his bet.....lol.....Andy
Dylan
Brazil V Italy .

World Cup Final.

The Real, Hampden a close second.

Was at Celtic Thistle Game.

The only time Bobby Murdoch Captained Celtic.
Tam blair
Watched the dvd of the thistle celtic game the other week. Brought back some memories, a lot of the old players interviewed. Familiar faces
andypisces
tam where did you see the dvd...i have looked everywhere for a copy or to even see it.....Andy
auldbutcher
Wis at the geme there was six o us aw butchers 2 were thistle supporters i coodnae beleive whit ah wis seein at hauf time i gied wan o the thistle boys 2 tae 1 on his cash cause i toiught the celts 'ill turn it roon second hauf tongue.gif .

Stifff me i lost three quid that wis a lotta pint money in those days , my fav geme has tae be the 2,1 hammerin o inter milan .

Then the scotland england geme 67 thats when Jim Baxter became wan o my heros still got a photo o him in scotland strip hingin in mah den along wie the lisbon lions ,like the man said pit the baw at my feet ,thats the day we became world champions ,whit ? how no we beat the world champions did we no tongue.gif .

P,s Jims gone god rest him so's Jinky ,Bobby Murdoch , an Paw Simpson ,i look at those photos when they were aw fresh faced lads an the auld Willie Nelson number ''Ain't it funny how time slips awie '' comes tae mind ach memories ye canny beat them.
andypisces
aye butcher they were great players. Jim baxter could have made me a rangers supporter. Celtic under jock stein were great. I can remember walking doon maryhill road one night and there was a celtic supporter toatally pissed but happy as a lord. Celtic had just won the scottish cup, i think it was , and steins first trophy for parkead. As a trophy bereft thistle fan i wondered what it must feel like to be so happy. .....Andy
mitchell
Celtic 7 Rangers 1
Tam blair
QUOTE (andypisces @ 22nd Jul 2010, 02:02am) *
tam where did you see the dvd...i have looked everywhere for a copy or to even see it.....Andy

Hi Andy, A friends brother was here on holiday and brought it with him. Check out the club website it might still have something on there. It was made by Thistle TV. Tam.
possilboy
the best game played at hamden by far
auldbutcher
Aye andy ah wis at that geme agin his auld club dunfermline whit a geme wee bertie had a blinder an the big eagle mcneill was on the money .
At that time us tims had fergotten whit a bit o silverware looked like ohmy.gif
How aboot great goals big billys winner just on time ,gallacher sends the corner ower, big eagles up ,baws in the pokey an the auld butch gies a sigh o releif . They wis a good team Vojvodina an Pantelec there keeper wis a cracker wee chic gallacher had bags o skill but there was a question mark ower his comitment tae put it nicely .

Mitchell yer a bad bad man laugh.gif how in the name o jasus did i know mention that wan, many years ago i got a lift in a taxi an who wis driving it but Willie Fernie we discussed that geme o the wie up the road.

Ad be in my 60's at the time an sat in the back o that taxi like a star struck teenager when we got tae my hoose ah ses'' willie can i get your autograph '',
Whit ? willie wis a legend wie skill tae spare .

Another great goal Mcleods thunderbolt tae gee 10 man celts the league flag.
soapy
best game i was at was wembley '77...........it had it all!

as a jgs fan i was gutted i missed the '71 game as my dad moved us up to Aberdeen for two years!! AAAAARGH!!
auldbutcher
At the final whistle soapy Aberdeen widda been a great option laugh.gif
irrie
QUOTE (soapy @ 12th Aug 2010, 03:14pm) *
best game i was at was wembley '77...........it had it all!

as a jgs fan i was gutted i missed the '71 game as my dad moved us up to Aberdeen for two years!! AAAAARGH!!

If you can go to stv player football yrs is about on71 theres a fair bit on the jags game
Dave Grieve
I dont know about the best ever game I saw but one that I really enjoyed was Celtic v Partick Thisle around about the 1964 season, that game had everything goals, great goals, great saves, end to end football.
After 20 minutes Celtic were winning 2-0 at half time Thistle were winning 3-2, at full time it finished Celtic 5 Thistle 3 if the final score had been 10-10 nobody who watched the game would have beeen disapointed.
The game was also memorable for one of the finest long range goals I ever saw, big Yogie (the original) got the ball in the Celtic half of the center circle and moved over the half way line looking to pass to someone but because Celtic had been defending desperatly there was no other player up with him, he then hit the ball at the Thistle goal from inside the center circle where George Niven dived to his top left hand corner and managed to stop the ball going in unfortunatly for Niven there was still to much forward power on the ball and as it landed it carried over the line for a goal.
That was big Yogie he could have you mezmerised one minute at his skill and tearing out your hair in frustration the next.
hubert
Not sure what my best ever fitba game is, but that was an awesome performance by Barca 5-0 against Real Madrid and the Special One yesterday.
I watched the whole game on GOL TV. unfortunately that commentator Ray Hudson was spouting his usual ridiculous irrelevant supposed colourful nonsense, one comment was about Mussolini on a balcony, not sure what an Italian has to do with two Spanish teams, unless there was a hint of Real Madrid and fascism, although I doubt that very much. rolleyes.gif
A good thing about TV you can always turn the sound off!
Tennscot
I watched it on Fox and it was great to watch.RM`s defense did not know how to handle it. Poor pretty Boy put on his petted lip as usual when people dont pay attention to his Skills.I bet he hates Messi.
bilbo.s
I couldn´t even see it here - on paytv. Was going to go to my local but it was monsoon time.

Barça have been my heroes for a long time and are probably at their best ever. Would have loved to see Mr Petulant and his boss´s faces. How can anyone bear to watch that garbage they play in Scotland?
TeeHeeHee
Managed to see the highlights. laugh.gif
LMFHO.
Well done Barca for puttin' the big baby on his potty biggrin.gif
DOLKIN
for me best games i have attended

rangers v parma at ibrox 1999

real madrid v bayern leverkusen 2002 champ final at hampden
Tennscot
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 30th Nov 2010, 07:17pm) *
I couldn´t even see it here - on paytv. Was going to go to my local but it was monsoon time.

Barça have been my heroes for a long time and are probably at their best ever. Would have loved to see Mr Petulant and his boss´s faces. How can anyone bear to watch that garbage they play in Scotland?

Well Mr P Had a Temper Tantrum and his boss was Shellshocked and could hardly string two words together Petted Lip should have had 2 red cards After the whistle blew full time. Sorry you missed it !!
Dunvegan
QUOTE (mitchell @ 22nd Jul 2010, 08:33pm) *
Celtic 7 Rangers 1

Seven past Niven and I was there. Glory Hallelluja "O Hampden in the sun Celtic seven and Rangers one"
Dunvegan
mitchell
biggrin.gif
snowman123
Rangers V Juventus in The European Cup at Ibrox around 1978.

Rangers won 2-0 with goals from Alex MacDonald & Gordon Smith.

My abiding memory is that the celtic end was away and Rangers were in the midst of building the Broamloan Rd Stand at the time.

What a game - Rangers had lost the first leg 1-0 to 'The Old Lady"
weeshuggie
the 4-2 10 men won the league was a cracker, ah remember the fingers sore fae biting the nails and then our hun Murdo putting the ball in the net fae about Duke St but the 6-2 game was a gem, ma brother's mate gave me his ticket, oh how I felt so gutted for him after 11 minutes and 3-0 to God's children
InkManHugh
Celtic versus Partizan Belgrade in September 1989. F*ck me time flies as I was only 15 then.

Partizan who were 2-1 up from the first leg score early thus making Celtic needing to win by two clear goals. The scoring goes 0-1, 1-1 then going into the second half 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3, Dariusz Dziekanowsk then scored his fourth to make it 5-3 running to celebrate right of front of where I was sitting in the main stand then in the last minute Patrizan' captain Predrag Spasić header made it 5-4.

That last Partizan goal certainly silenced the place. On a funny aside I will always remember the guy behind me commenting on the first goal of the game by saying "that's it .... goodnight"! Little did he know we all would see such an exciting match.

Shuggy
possilboy
european cup 1960 i had the pleasure of being there never forget it
snowman123
I loved watching the Dumbarton v Arbroath nil nil draw at Gayfeild on a wet February in 1979....... the game was great - two chances at each end. two for Arbroath in the first ten minutes and then a chance for Dumbarton on the stroke of half time. The last shot was the only other shot on goal and that came in the 76th minute aah, I remember it clearly.

Aye, theres nuthin tae beat a drab nuthin each draw in the p*ssin rain mad.gif
irrie
Morning all. Ive seen plenty drab 0 0 s at Firhill. Specially remember a mid week game v Dundee Utd it wis freezin cauld raining and the gme wid hiv got fitba stopped. Bertie Auld wis Thistle manager and the fans carried a banner saying We want the old Thistle not Aulds Thistle. Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.