Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Townhead 1940's To 1960's
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
Pages: 1, 2
patsy doyle
Is there anyone out there from Townhead/ ie. Montrose Street - and all the streets around it - from John St. to the end of Cathedral St. then from Mc Auslin Street to the bottom of High Street along George Street to John Street If you are from this area and lived there in 1940,s thru. 50,s 60,s and 70,s I Patsy Doyle of 113 Montrose Street.

Would like to get in touch here....

P.S. I enjoyed the topic in GGs "30's thru 70's very much brought back great memories.

Good Luck and God Bless u all.
big tommy
Dear patsy
i was born in townhead actually .At number 90 parliamentary Road .In my grannys house I spent a lot of my youth there as my cousins lived in the 'pen close' number 92.
Names were Vioncent and Francis (Vincy and Francy )
wouls love to hear from you
Tommy Mc Sorley
patsy doyle
Vinny,
I`m so glad to hear from someone from Townhead i`m one of the Doyle`s from 113 Montrose St .I was born in Maryhill my parents then moved to Montrose st early 1940s. My first memories of Townhead started to mature as i started school 1943 when i was 4yrs old St. Mungo`s Stan-hope St. then St Mungo`s Glebe St. 1947 till 1952 then St Roch`s Royston Rd. left in 55 to go out into the wide wide world. Here is my email patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk i hope to hear from you soon.

Your`s Sincerely Pat Doyle
sorry Tommy i called you Vinny
big tommy
No problem Pat.
i have been called much worse. I moved to Cwcaddens in the 30's.Crossburn street
Lost my leg in the army in 1948 when i was blown up by a land mine in ITALY.
If you like my e mail is ,,,, tmcs26@hotmail.co.uk

Tommy
tam murphy
i was born in 1947 at 10 tarbet st my father was dan my mother margaret cartwright all there familys lived around the rottenrow
:rolleyes:
betty2
hi Patsy and welcome, not from your area , I.m an eastender, but I had a pal from school {charlotte st} who lived T NO 10 Canning place off cathedral st . This was in the early 50,s. After leaving school in 1954 I lost touch, But I knew the district well have happy memories from that time
charles gillan
my name is charlie gillan i lived at 37 stanhope st townhead st i also went to st mungos stanhope st and glebe st and also st rochs i left school in 1955 its always good to hear about townhead would like to hear from anybody who may kknow me take care
zascot
I`m another one born in Toonheid. I was born in 48 in Kyle Street and also started school at St. Mungo`s primary before moving to the country (Ruchazie ) in around 55 when they knocked Kyle Street down. I checked on Google maps to see if maybe they had put a wee plaque up wi ma name on it but maybe I wiz no that famous, it`s now a printers with a BMW showroom next door.If that showroom had been there when the houses were there then there would have been a lot of knocked off Beamers in Kyle Street lol.
andy wilson
Born 1953 in 36 Couper st Townhead,moved roon the corner tae posh big hoose in 214 Parliamentary rd in 1959-went to St Mungos primary then got shanghaied in 1964 to Johnstone Castle as "Glasgow overspill"-hated the place with a vengance and still do! - scuttled back to Toonheid every weekend till they pulled it doon!-lost track of all my pals now-Eric Clark-Hughie Brawley,Ian Blythe,Billy Shaw-hunners of them-all in their late 50's now!-where did all thae years go? ohmy.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (zascot @ 3rd Aug 2010, 12:40pm) *
I`m another one born in Toonheid. I was born in 48 in Kyle Street and also started school at St. Mungo`s primary before moving to the country (Ruchazie ) in around 55 when they knocked Kyle Street down. I checked on Google maps to see if maybe they had put a wee plaque up wi ma name on it but maybe I wiz no that famous, it`s now a printers with a BMW showroom next door.If that showroom had been there when the houses were there then there would have been a lot of knocked off Beamers in Kyle Street lol.

just joined the board and happy to see somebody from Kyle st posting, we lived there from 51 to 58 at 35 and then 39 Kyle st, so before you moved away we probably played fitba together roon at wurdies. and took a shortcut to jacks mountain through the mile long tunnel under the cuddies park, wee bit scary when a train belchin smoke came in while you where still walking through.
also live in Joburg maybe we can get together sometime
christine knight
QUOTE (betty2 @ 23rd Jul 2010, 04:49am) *
hi Patsy and welcome, not from your area , I.m an eastender, but I had a pal from school {charlotte st} who lived T NO 10 Canning place off cathedral st . This was in the early 50,s. After leaving school in 1954 I lost touch, But I knew the district well have happy memories from that time

Hi Betty2 my grandparents Mr & Mrs McIntyre lived at No16 Canning Place until 1960, when my Grandmother died and also have happy memories from when I visited them as a child of 8 in 1953 and then 14 in 1959. My mother Christina McKintyre lived there as a child. I now live in southern england as my father was english.
ionnsaigh
QUOTE (andy wilson @ 30th Aug 2010, 02:31am) *
Born 1953 in 36 Couper st Townhead,moved roon the corner tae posh big hoose in 214 Parliamentary rd in 1959-went to St Mungos primary then got shanghaied in 1964 to Johnstone Castle as "Glasgow overspill"-hated the place with a vengance and still do! - scuttled back to Toonheid every weekend till they pulled it doon!-lost track of all my pals now-Eric Clark-Hughie Brawley,Ian Blythe,Billy Shaw-hunners of them-all in their late 50's now!-where did all thae years go? ohmy.gif

You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.
roxyanne
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 15th Feb 2011, 11:04am) *
You must have been in my class at school then Andy, those names bring back loads of memories.
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.

hi patsy i lived in 64 parson street from 1947 till 1963 went to st mungo;s primary then st roch my friends all lived around townhead betty gallacher betty miller margaret halligan and one of the samson girl cant remember her first name i remember we used to have a gang called the greener gang as their back had grass rolland st james burn;s and his cusion the donnelly;s toni ,sister;s margaret and marie and brother pat and my friend anne pitt she lived in mc auslin st my whole family lived all around that part is you know me let me know please my maiden name is alice hampson thanks
RobBob
QUOTE (betty2 @ 23rd Jul 2010, 04:26am) *

Here is an interesting coincidence....My great great great grandfather, James Carswell, Wright and Builder in Glasgow lived at no. 10 Canning Place in 1851 at the age of 80. I am guessing that he originally built the house. He lived there with a widowed daughter, an unmarried daughter and an unmarried son. I would be moswt interest to learn what happened to 10 Canning Place after the 1950s as I cannot seem to find it on the google maps. Can anyone help me.
RobBob
Toronto
MissT
I was born in 1953 and lived on Roystonhill Townhead, went to St Rollox School until 61 when shipped off to Quarriers homes after mother died
Rabbie
QUOTE (RobBob @ 27th Mar 2011, 10:02pm) *
Here is an interesting coincidence....My great great great grandfather, James Carswell, Wright and Builder in Glasgow lived at no. 10 Canning Place in 1851 at the age of 80. I am guessing that he originally built the house. He lived there with a widowed daughter, an unmarried daughter and an unmarried son. I would be moswt interest to learn what happened to 10 Canning Place after the 1950s as I cannot seem to find it on the google maps. Can anyone help me.
RobBob
Toronto

Canning Place still exists but not in its original form. The Canning Place I know is a wee lane that runs from Cathedral Street to St James Road, Between what was Allan Glens and Collins. Should be able to pick it taking a ride doon Cathedral Street on Google Street map.
kitnian
Hi Patsy born in 1948 at the Rotttenrow Hospital and lived at 103 Kennedy street. went to Kennedy street primary and then on to city Public and left scotland for England 1963 Knew Helen Mc Keever and Marian Kane who went to Charlotte Street in1960 they also lived in Kennedy Street 103 across the street from the garage where the Ribble Buses parked and Glebe street was the nearest road the Argyle Arms was the nearest pub
Cheers Kitty Knight
Email Kitnain48@bigpond.com
Have now lived In Western Australia for 42 years
kitnian
Dear Patsy,
Did you work at Gizzi s in the 60 s my moms name was milly and my sister s was Megan they worked there and I also did but you left soon after I started I worked after school and Saturdays
our surname was Knight
lesley brown
My family lived most of their days in Toonheid. They were the Maxwells. Matt and his 3 sisters Marion Cathy and Mary. All married and lived in Toonheid apart from Cathy who moved to Liverpool. We stayed in Parson Strret next to the green door if anyone knows what i'm talking about. Stayed there untill our building was condemned and then moved to the new Toonheid. I had great memories of being brought up in a tenement especially in the Toon. We used to go up Sauchie down Buchie and alang Argyle. (Another wee Glesga saying). They were the good auld days.
tommy short
i went to st rochs left in 1956 ,worked as a bookies runner for john smith the bookie in parson street,used to hang about gizzies in parley rd, was born in hartfield st then moved to blackhill,live down in yorkshire now
roxyanne
i lived at 64 parson st from 1947 till it was pulled down family name was hampson it was my granmothers house and grandad but my father got house when both died so it had been in family for a very long time my friends at time were betty gallacher and margaret halligen and betty miller helen cairns went to st mungos school in stanhope st then st rochs i had a siser mary and brother mark who was blind also sister violet and brother peter my uncle lived in the funeral parlour in gleebe st with his wife and two children had an aunt mary paul who lived in mcauslin st and i had frind anne pitt who also lived there would love to here from anyone who remembers me my name was alice hampson then used to play in the greener back in st mungos st
roxyanne
i lived at 64 parson st from 1947 till it was pulled down family name was hampson it was my granmothers house and grandad but my father got house when both died so it had been in family for a very long time my friends at time were betty gallacher and margaret halligen and betty miller helen cairns went to st mungos school in stanhope st then st rochs i had a siser mary and brother mark who was blind also sister violet and brother peter my uncle lived in the funeral parlour in gleebe st with his wife and two children had an aunt mary paul who lived in mcauslin st and i had frind anne pitt who also lived there would love to here from anyone who remembers me my name was alice hampson then used to play in the greener back in st mungos st
garden04
What about Joe Kelly, Andy Kirwan, Leo Dodds, Stanislaw Czajkowski and Miss Smith.[/quote]

Hi,
My name is Tom Kirwan not Andy and I was in the same class in St Mungo's Primary and
the Acadamy as Leo Dodds,Stanislaw Czajkowski, Billy Shaw an many others - Miss Smith was our teacher in the Primary School I went to prep in St Rochs Primary School Royston Road('64), then onto Duke Street('65), Kennedy Street'66-'68) and finally Barony Street.('68-'69)
If my memory hasn't faled me I think Leo went on to study Law, I met up again with Billy Shaw
in the early 70's when we started attending football matches, but have now lost touch with all as
I moved to Ireland in '73.
I lived in Garden Street, Townhead opposite the Townhead Baths.

Stumbling accross these pages the names just pop out at me

Cheers Tom K
lianmy
Roxyanne did the Betty Miller you knew live in Glebe St?
klingon
QUOTE (zascot @ 3rd Aug 2010, 08:57am) *

Jeeze a Kylie!-I was born in Couper st (36) and my maw warned us not to go near Kyle St as the Kylies were all mental cases!-we went all upmarket and moved to a big flat in Parly rd-(214) then emigrated to Johnstone in the early 60's as part of the Glasgow overspill,the hoose we moved to was that wee compared to the big victorian flat we had in toonheid my maw had to toss oot half the furniture!-her wardrobe widnae even go through the front door! biggrin.gif
klingon
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 15th Feb 2011, 11:00am) *

Joe Kelly's da wiz a paper seller nicknamed "auld plum" by Joe and his brothers-of which there were plenty! I seem to remember Miss Smith belting Joe across the face for refusing the belt and his brothers appearing 10 minutes later to sort her out with a big barking Alsatian dug!-Stan Czaykorkski-(remember the spellin after hearin it 500 times!) was always being asked if he was ok as he was the palest faced boy I ever met!-I was always in competition with Leo Dodds to be first in the class-one year it was him,then next it was me!-Miss Smith?-greetin faced auld psycho of a wumman!-also Ian Kent,Eric Clark,Hughie Brolly, Tommy McCourt,Pete Handibode,Marcus Smythe,John Clark,Michael Donohoe,Paddy Stewart,Billy Shaw,-and thats just a few from my recollection!-remember just before leaving St Mungos to move to Johnstone my teacher was a Mr Quinn-after the school holidays I went to St Davids primary in Johnston and my teacher was?-Mr Quinn!-he got a new hoose in Johnstone as well!-Still remember some of the teachers names-Mr Milton,an ancient auld music teacher called "Mr Sheepshanks"-Miss Mc Bride,and Brother Wilfrid who bore an uncanny resemblance to Boris Karloff!-(Think he was the headmaster!) laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (klingon @ 26th Dec 2011, 02:59pm) *
Jeeze a Kylie!-I was born in Couper st (36) and my maw warned us not to go near Kyle St as the Kylies were all mental cases!-we went all upmarket and moved to a big flat in Parly rd-(214) then emigrated to Johnstone in the early 60's as part of the Glasgow overspill,the hoose we moved to was that wee compared to the big victorian flat we had in toonheid my maw had to toss oot half the furniture!-her wardrobe widnae even go through the front door! biggrin.gif

Hi Klingon
Like Zascot I also lived in Kyle st we played together until he moved socially downhill by moving to Ruchazie. laugh.gif
The one thing I remember about the rivalry between Kyle st and Couper st was a couple of street fights organised to sooth the egos of who knows who? when every wean in both streets was dragged out to defend the honour? of the respective streets, one of the fights we managed to invade Couper st as far down as the stables before being chased with our tails between our legs back up the hill to Kyle st. tongue.gif
zascot
Aye Dave yer right but if you go to Kyle Street today you will see a big plaque that proclaims " Zascot was born here" or was that jist a dream. Anyway all the best over the festive season from the ex toonheidies in South Africa.
Rabbie
Here is a wee bit of reading history regarding the development of the now defunct Pinkston Power Station.

The article is dated from May 20, 1947.

Click to view attachment

They were well out with the proposed height of the cooling tower it was near 360 feet when completed, not 260 feet!
sanny1
QUOTE (patsy doyle @ 2nd Jul 2010, 07:28am) *
Is there anyone out there from Townhead/ ie. Montrose Street - and all the streets around it - from John St. to the end of Cathedral St. then from Mc Auslin Street to the bottom of High Street along George Street to John Street If you are from this area and lived there in 1940,s thru. 50,s 60,s and 70,s I Patsy Doyle of 113 Montrose Street.

P.S. I enjoyed the topic in GGs "30's thru 70's very much brought back great memories.

sanny1
Hello Patsy Doyle.
My name is Alex Smith,

I lived a 8 Murray st round the corner from the Grafton pitcure hoose.
dose that ring a bell with you If it dose geeza shout..............
alex@xplornet.ca.
Dave Grieve
Hi Sanny when did you leave Murray st? I got my first bike from Rattary's round about the late 50's cost all of GBP12 brand new, the first brand new anything I think I ever had. biggrin.gif
The Grafton was my mothers favourite hangout she must have gone there at least three times a month, No TV never mind daytime soapies then.
patsy113

Hullo RobRob Post 15 Canning Pl. was demolished in the 60s I`m going to search thru my old photo`s of Townhead to see if i have a photo of Canning Place for you my email is
patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk
Cheers Pat Doyle
shamie
I stayed in townhead off and on during the fifties when I was at sea , staying with Cissy and Paddy Duffy at 5 ronald street along with their four children and three lads ,who like myself were products of st Mary's Smylum lanark and Castlemilk home during and after the war. Their names were Harry Gray ,John and mick feeley and me Shamie Murphy. We used to frequent Willie Miller's bar the old celtic goalie from the forties and eary fifties.Ithink the bar was in taylor street?We also used to use the Stirling castle bar. Mine host was a Rangers supporter but his young son was Celtic daft, so the guv used to ask us to take him to Celtic park, Oh and I was a closet Jags supporter.Harry was killed by the polis in 1958, I believe it was a very big case ,the polis handcuffed him to a lampost and bashed him with a truncheon, the reason for his death I believe , was Harry had a very thin skull. I left Glasgow in 1958 and never found out about the case when I visited ten years later.Iwonder if anybody remembers the case?
smartie
QUOTE (lianmy @ 24th Dec 2011, 12:26pm) *
Roxyanne did the Betty Miller you knew live in Glebe St?

My friend Betty Miller lived in Glebe St in the 60s before moving to Easterhouse. She didn't have any brother or sisters.
weelew
Born in Stirling road in 1949 and moved to Ruchazie 1958 ,now in Rothesay .Great days in the Toonheid.
zascot
Where did you stay in Ruchazie weelew I moved from townhead to Ruchazie about the same time. Lived in Milincroft rd.
weelew
QUOTE (zascot @ 6th Jul 2012, 07:43am) *
Where did you stay in Ruchazie weelew I moved from townhead to Ruchazie about the same time. Lived in Milincroft rd.

Hi Zascot ,i stayed in Craighouse street ,right on the corner with Caprington street .
zascot
Part of my old paper round. Knew the Banks`es and the Mc Manus`s. I stayed in the close at the bottom of Elibank St. Alex. Rae`s the name
weelew
Hi Alex,i knew the Mcmanus's ,especially Joe. I seem to remember the Bank's but not a lot.My nme is Pete Mclean and palled about mostly with four boys from the same family called Raeburn.
patsy113
Thomas Kirwan I`m your Dads first cousin i`m one of the doyles from 113 Montrose St.the oldest
their was six boys and one girl Bridie called after your Granmother my auntie Bridie who lived in Taylor St.Please contact me patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk.
Cheers Patsy 113 montrose st.
zascot
QUOTE (weelew @ 12th Jul 2012, 10:35am) *
Hi Alex,i knew the Mcmanus's ,especially Joe. I seem to remember the Bank's but not a lot.My nme is Pete Mclean and palled about mostly with four boys from the same family called Raeburn.

Small world I worked with Joe just after he came back from South Africa and just before I came here.
jessie stewart
hi my names jess stewart i lived in 322 mc auslin street just across the road from mr shaws shop
clankay
Hi my name is Philip Kay & I lived in 107 George street in the 40s & 50s,went to Rottenrow primary school 1943 to 1950,then Glasgow senior secondary 1950 to 1953.
Want to know if anyone remembers Hugh Corson's Saturday tuppence that he gave to the kids,they had to line up & if you kept them in line you got 3d.The pub was corner of George street & Shuttle Street.My playground was Balmano Brae,Portland street,Rottenrow,Hopton Place,the old fruit market & the 2 goods stations High street & College street waiting for the carters.
taggart560
Hello Patsy.iam from the Garngad but iam sure my uncle John obrien had a grocery shop in that area,go down Parly road from castle st and it was in a side street on the left down by a pub ?, sorry hen thats all i can remember if it helps. aw ra best.
Jan44
Hi...my name is Jan O'Donnell (Hughes) I lived at 26 George Street and remember Hugh Corson well as he was a friend of my father John. I remember the Saturday Tuppence well because I got a silver tanner. I often wonder if he knew what a kindness he did as most of the kids never had much and a Saturday was something to look forward to. I was born a t Rottenrow maternity Hospital went To St Mungo's Primary 1949-1955 .I love this board I have lived overseas for many years but still pine for home. Good luck to all
Christina Clark
hi is there any one from royston hill who may have known my dad john clark ?? married euphiema clark also known as fay please post a reply here.
josie mc phillips
QUOTE (patsy doyle @ 2nd Jul 2010, 09:27am) *

petunia
QUOTE (Jan44 @ 14th Sep 2012, 06:01am) *
Hi...my name is Jan O'Donnell (Hughes) I lived at 26 George Street and remember Hugh Corson well as he was a friend of my father John. I remember the Saturday Tuppence well because I got a silver tanner. I often wonder if he knew what a kindness he did as most of the kids never had much and a Saturday was something to look forward to. I was born a t Rottenrow maternity Hospital went To St Mungo's Primary 1949-1955 .I love this board I have lived overseas for many years but still pine for home. Good luck to all

Hi Jan44
Can you give me any more info on Hugh Corson did he have any brothers or sisters that you know of as I might be related. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.