Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The World Cup In South Africa!
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
carmella
From what we have heard, there seems to be a shortage of hotel rooms for visiting fans.

If this is true, I wonder if fans will be able to travel in the normally quite large numbers we are used to seeing. I also think that the hotels will be very expensive.

Depending on where the games will be held too, there are some very dangerous areas where fans may be going around.

Let's look forward to the world cup. I have to say that I usually tune in, and thoroughly enjoy it.

wee davy
ah cannae believe there's been nae further interest in this thread, carmella laugh.gif
charliebhoy
600,000 tickets not sold, roaring succss. Not intersted in it. South Africa should never have reieved it.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Mar 2010, 11:42am) *
From what we have heard, there seems to be a shortage of hotel rooms for visiting fans.

From what I have read, the sex industry and human trafficking industry has been getting geared up for the influx of British and European fans.

So maybe it's a good thing if the balloon bursts ... as it were.
Dylan
QUOTE (charliebhoy @ 8th Apr 2010, 10:05pm) *
600,000 tickets not sold, roaring succss. Not intersted in it. South Africa should never have reieved it.

I agree Charlie.

SA is a new Country. They have much more serious issues to prioritise.

I fear it will all end in tears.

Hope I am wrong but I think they are twenty years away from hosting something so large and logisticly trying.

Still looking forward to seeing some great football.

Pity Lafferty can not show his outrageous skills on such a stage . !
ashfield
QUOTE (Dylan @ 9th Apr 2010, 08:19am) *
Pity Lafferty can not show his outrageous skills on such a stage . !

Dylan, there is aready a dedicated thread for jokes elsewhere rolleyes.gif

I would be interested to hear an opinion from some of our fellow GGs in SA. It seems likely, to me, that much of the "real life" South Africa will be hidden as it was during the finals in Mexico. Despite that, I hope it all goes well, we see some great football, and above all it is won by ABE laugh.gif
Dylan
laugh.gif
carmella
I agree with you Ashfield, there are one or two GG members who live in SA would be interesting to hear what they had to say.

I think it's way too expensive to attend for the fans, also it's dangerous.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th Apr 2010, 09:31am) *
Dylan, there is aready a dedicated thread for jokes elsewhere rolleyes.gif

I would be interested to hear an opinion from some of our fellow GGs in SA. It seems likely, to me, that much of the "real life" South Africa will be hidden as it was during the finals in Mexico. Despite that, I hope it all goes well, we see some great football, and above all it is won by ABE laugh.gif

ABE - What the hell´s that? Cannae be Aberdeen! Viva España!
ashfield
You must have missed the thread about t-shirts that are being produced in Scotland with that on the front, It stands for Anybody But.............. rolleyes.gif
bilbo.s
Ah orrite! Nae borra. Nae problem there!
beth

This is the Durban Stadium. Fifa hase released loads of accomodation as there are not enough people for the accommodation. The games are scattered over great distances. Transport is also a problem. Just don't get me started though on how much it has cost, us, the taxpayers. Durnam beachfront is a nightmare and I honestly can't see it being ready. Football is not such a well supported sport here, and to make the Durban stadium pay its way, our local rugby team will be forced to move there. Football will never pay for it, They have even tried to have concerts there but most of the stadium is out in the open so everybody gets soaked. Elton john cancelled his show in Durbs. Hope this answers your questions a wee bit. Sorry it is long winded
ashfield
Beth, you think this is long winded laugh.gif Thanks, it's pretty much as I suspected. It will look good on telly but at what cost to the country and it's people.
beth
In saying all that, we love living here. But.... we are not visitors coming with great expectations. Also we never go into "Big Town" we live in this little dorp about 25 ks from Durban. desserted beaches and except for easter and Christmas relatively desserted beaches. We also have our own transport. Visitors, coming to friends, can have a great holiday relatively cheaply. As for our glorious Cape it is a sight to behold. We love visiting there. Just the weather and low wages stopped us from moving there. Cold wet winters, YUCK!. We are all tring to get vibed up about the world cup, flying flags and all that, but I don't know anybody who has actually bought tickets for the games because of security. Loads of companies have bought tickets to entertain clients. Good luck to them. We will get together with friends, braai, have a few toots and watch on big screens, then not have to worry about getting mugged or breathalysed
rossmckenzie
Am surprised this thread seems to stop and start.....am looking forward to it.I know Scotland are not even on the horizon but it will still be a major event.Never been, but its a country I am desperate to visit.....I know it has problems but it holds tremendous appeal for me.So for South Africa's sake I hope its a great success.Some great games,a chance to see some of this amazingly beautiful and diverse country and ok even if it is costing SA a lot of money it is a promotional exercise that will hopefully benefit the country in the future.
As for Abe...haha..Curry's are selling big tellies for the games with the offer of £10 cash back for every goal England score....a lot of my m8's are like aye! right should be £10 back for every goal against.....haha....am not like that I wish England well and will support them against most teams.....but am in Germany in June and plan to watch them at a favourite kneipe(pub) with an outside screen near the Ku Dam..well it might be winter in SA but summer in Europe...am even leaning towards Germany on June 13th and ano am gonna get stick from from friends and rellies...will let u guess who they are playing...and for non soccer fans ..no its not Engerland.
[size=2]South Africa 2010.....go for it
TeeHeeHee
As with every World Cup Ross I'm always, optimistically, looking for an England v Germany final (to settle that old disputed '66 score rolleyes.gif) .
The Germans are now laying sacrifices on every imaginable alter. and anything that looks like one, to Sun Gods, Rain Gods, Gods Of All Hangovers, Thor, Fre, Mars, Juno and any One who'll hear then now that I3allack has been taken out. tongue.gif
bilbo.s
Sorry Tomi- that´s the last pair I want to see in the final! tongue.gif
rossmckenzie
Difficult choice here,England will never be my first choice.....and a repeat of 66 just horrifies me THH...mainly because our broadcasting system in the UK stalled somewhere in 66 and 44 yrs later still look on it as a benchmark for football..Don't even know if an England Germany final is possible I hope not! Odd thing is Bilbo's the next one to post and I will follow Spain with a passion..man can't wait for it to kick off...This is Carmella's thread and I hope as it grows over the next few weeks this is the main board thread for South Africa 2010
TeeHeeHee
I've even been called a German Bestid by a Manchester bunch in Bremen Ross (I was gettin' served, they weren't tongue.gif ) so I'm honour bound to suport them a bit; know whit a mean wink.gif ) but regardless, it's the World Cup which means each and every game will be appreciated and good luck to them all.
Keep it sport - and may the best team win ... well, that's what winners usually are if not the luckiest (Roll eyes/Big Smile/Winks-as-good-as-a-nod-know-wot-a-mean)
rossmckenzie
A kno how you feel THH,am looking forward as a non participent nation to an amazing month of football...got unbelievable mixed commitments..Germany.England,Spain Aus and NZ..Wish them all well.......got Aus cousins and when I said I was gonna be in Berlin for the Aus Germany game they assumed....never assume is my moto lol! No matter who we support it will be a brilliant month.....a was in Berlin summer 2008 Thh aw man one of the best summers ever ...Berlin went mad ever night after a game this was the Ku Dam after an Italian victory...2am nr the Kaiser Wilhem Church...brilliant night
TeeHeeHee
That was like a new Germany that summer Ross.
Even in this neck of the woods.
Some cars were flying two different national flags, the home team and their own nation. Great feeling, trouble free fans and Berlin played the perfect host.
Let's hope Africa shows the same spirit and that the security services are bored stiff.
beth
Things really have come together, despite my pessimism. We are all wearing our football shirts and flags are flying everywhere. the stadia are ready, the police have cracked down (Long may it last after the fitba). It is like the Rugby world cup, drawing all cultures together, even though our team would have to bribe the ref to get through. Don't laugh, it is not beyond the realms of possibility. Unlike Jo'Burg and the Cape the Durban weather in winter is magnificent, sunny beaches and little or no rain. Really hope it all goes well, even though not as many visitors as expected. We should have a riit of a time with thousands of Aussies expected to make Durbs their base. Glad I live out of town. Bring your earplugs though as we even have the dreaded vuvuzelas at the rugby matches now. Know this is not much about the actual game, just a wee update. The upgrades to the Durban beachfront are brilliant and the police are there in great numbers, just in case. Viva South Africa. Forgot, I even have an alice band that I wear. Two stars are the flag and strips of tinsel in our flag colours. Every Friday is football Friday and more and more people are dressing up and joining in. getting exciting
rossmckenzie
Great reply Beth.am glad SA is getting behind the competition..a honestly don't think there is any country in the world a could wish a better future for and if the competition brings tourists and encourages people to come visit then no matter what it costs ..well its worth it..my g/friend is just back after 2 weeks in SA for a family wedding.Still stunned by how beautiful it was and how amazing the welcome was..don't get me wrong some things surprised her ..am like well a could have told you that..haha...why don't women ever listen to you.....
At School we all had to pick a country that interesed us and do a rekkie on it....mine was SA,never forgotten it...read everything I could find on the country and even now am still interested.Think it has the most amazing history and a natural beauty that astounds....Even now our tellie is gearing up to all things South African in preparation for the days to come and am hooked again......man a so wish I was there for this competition...even if its winter....today in Scotland its an amazing 30c on the balcony of our flat on the river..sun is baking us ,wine and beer is well chilled and just enjoying this weather.....looking forward to some great days courtesy of the republic.
beth
Yes winter here in Durbs - a cool 27c today. Sitting outside tonight, just finished watching a movie under the stars and had a braai (BBQ),9.38pm Temp is dropping have put on a long sleeve shirt now. This truly is the best time of the year and our weather is the best in SA, although it gets a bit humid in January Still a good exchange rate for Brits coming over and loads to spend it on. My sister has been over 5 times. We will be watching on big screens, too much trouble and too expensive for tickets. If Scotland had made it, it would have been a different story. I am proudly Scottish and have Scottish stickers on my car but seein as Scotland failed, again, I am proudly South African, just wish we were in with a shout, fair and square
jeep
Click to view attachment

Could this happen again? Jeep rolleyes.gif
hubert
USA V England Saturday June 12th 10:30 am my time, I will be glued to the TV and of course I WILL be rooting for the USA because I became a Yank in 1975, no other reason! LMAO
beth
Viva South Africa. Not a particular Football team, just the country. never really agreed with it being held here but now that it is, the whole country is united behind it, black and white, poor and not so poor as well as the black and white elite. Hope it lasts long after the football. We have magnificent stadia, security is brilliant and we promise to keep the snakes and lions out of them so... Viva South Africa. It is truly a magnificent country and here in KZN, we have the best weather in the world, and that is why we are in such a personal quandry. Hope the football lives up to the expectations of the country, not necessarily bafana, but all football
beth
South Africa is coming to a standstill at noon tomorrow. Can smell the braais already and feel the chills from the beers
possilboy
a wee bit of trivia celtics youngest player at fifteen is playing in the world cup can you name him and which country he plays for unsure.gif
wee davy
I hope you guys in SA enjoy the colour & the spectacle of the World Cup. I wish you well, and I would LOVE to see an African team in the Semi's or even the Final! I'm looking forward to this one as it will definitely throw up a few surprises - expect a fancied team to fall at the first hurdle. The so-called 'smaller' teams, will I'm sure give the big boys a run for their money.

Have a good tournament all those 'in exile' - in Oz, NZ, and USA. Indeed, wherever you are!

wee davy
TeeHeeHee
Earlier tonight I watched the Gig live on Swiss TV. It was kicked off with a speech by the FIFA President followed by the South African President who commented that South Africa rocks, South Africa is cool and the South African people have been treating the visitors extremely well and he hopes the continue to do so at least till the end of the games laugh.gif
...well, we know what he meant laugh.gif
hubert
Well the kick off went well, I enjoyed the Mexico 1 South Africa 1 contest, it wasnt a great game, the first half was ok, but the second half was better.
I like that South African goalie very agile and kicks an accurate long ball.

Commentators on ESPN were saying the first ball Mexico put into SAs net should have been a goal, and kept saying it, they were way wrong, it was a good call offside it was!
bilbo.s
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 11th Jun 2010, 02:34am) *
Earlier tonight I watched the Gig live on Swiss TV. It was kicked off with a speech by the FIFA President followed by the South African President who commented that South Africa rocks, South Africa is cool and the South African people have been treating the visitors extremely well and he hopes the continue to do so at least till the end of the games laugh.gif

Whit? Nae menshun o Shakira?
TeeHeeHee
Shakira?
Who does he play for? tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
I watched the Mexico game and earlier tonight I watched France and came to one conclusion ... I can't stand listening to something that sounds like quadrophonic hornets in my living room rolleyes.gif
mitchell
Had the same problem here!
Not a very convincing game by France, I was hoping for them to get beat as it should have been Ireland who should have been there.
My money is on Argentina for this cup.
The climate suits them, and they have got some talent in their team.
wellfield
Christ!....an' here's me thinkin' it wis' Locusts...Lol...Great SA goal 'tho!!
wellfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 10th Jun 2010, 05:34pm) *

Highest crime rate in the World...be safe everyone!
hubert
France were not convincing as you said mitchell, and Uraguay have only a fair team, although Forlan is a verygood player, had a real good chance to score, but muffed it.
USA V England the morra, it should be a good game.
Those trumpet things should be banned, its probably going to be the one thing that spoils this contest for me, so far two no bad games.
TeeHeeHee
Those trumpets are being blown in the neighbourhood here where I live in Germany ... and not an African in sight rolleyes.gif
mitchell
Got a feeling Hubert that the USA might beat England here!
Or it will be a 1-1 draw!
So that is what they are, trumpets, I thought it had something to do with the satellite link!
hubert
A vuvuzela is a brightly-coloured plastic trumpet, usually about a metre long, which is commonly blown by fans at football matches in South Africa. Playing the vuvuzela requires a practiced combination of lip and lung action to produce an extremely loud, monotonous sound, a bit like a foghorn. If you'd like prepare yourself for this assault on your eardrums.
bilbo.s
I thought the commentary box was swarming with bluebottles.
mitchell
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 12th Jun 2010, 09:19am) *
I thought the commentary box was swarming with bluebottles.

Keep this to the old firm thread! biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
Maybe greenfly then. laugh.gif
hubert
Watched the Korea 2 Greece 0 game, Celtic`s Samaras was not in the hunt!
beth
It was absolutley awesome. the whole thing. The country came to a standstill at lunchtime yesterday and it was magic. the atmosphere was electric. The Bish told us to FEEL IT and we did. The concert was, in my opinion, not great. Could have done without all the glitz, loads of good African acts. As for Shakira and the World Cup Song? the song that has become the anthem is Wave the Flags brilliant. the openign ceremony was great again could have done without R Kelly as the ethnic thing was great, especially thew dung beetle. Vuvuzelas are a part of African football culture that is also creeping into Rugby. Somehow our pay channel managed to get through it and we had a good commentary. Never expected a draw. Viva bafana, and to crown it all the Boks beat France in the Rugby. As for the highest crime rate in the world? maybe that is what the stats say, but I don't live in Hillbrow. The English and Aussie guys we met last night have no probs. VIVA SOUTH AFRICA. I have spoken at length on FB re our thoughts as a nation. We pray that this feeling will continue long after the football has gone and we can build this beautiful country again. Different but good
mitchell
Yes Hubert I also watched the Greece game, gee those Koreans were fast on the breakaway up field.
Samaras is as useless as a one-arm man on a bike.
Was he playing at left back?, because that is where he kept popping up.
Watched the USA game also, this English squad will for sure not win this cup I am afraid.
At least I picked the correct score.
USA keeper had a great game, as did Dempsey.
As for the concert, that Despot Tutu has lost the plot, the man is senile by the sounds of him!
TeeHeeHee
England's Green goalie scored for America and damn near put a second one in off the post. Rooney looking like a spare wheel sometimes; could have done with Crouch from the off.
brian432
Australia V Germany today (Sunday) Go the Socceroos (sorry Tomi) tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.