Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Olympics - Merged Topic
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
Elma
I'm getting ready to settle in to watch the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. It's 5 p.m. and should still be going on to around midnight! There's lots of excitement here about the Games. Has there been much publicity about them in other countries? There are all kinds of media in Vancouver but I wonder how much will be broadcast overseas. Unfortunately there will be a pall over the Ceremonies as a luger from Georgia was killed in an accident as he trained today on the run in Whistler. Seemingly he was going at about 140 to 150 kph. at the time. I saw it happening on TV at the time, it was horrible to watch as he flew through the air.

Now, think I'm ready, dinner's on, coffee's made.......... smile.gif
carmella
I love the Winter Olympics and always watch - we will catch up later I expect.

Heard the awful news and haven't seen that tragedy of course, but I should imagine the team from Georgia will not want to continue, as I believe they have already said they may return home.

Such a tragedy, but they do attain very fast speeds, it's such a dangerous sport.
Rab-oldname
All sudden deaths are tragic, no less the loss of this athletic young man, BUT, to call this idiocy a sport is beyond me. To slide down an icy slope, on your back, on a bit of plastic at 90mph...!! and all for the sake of a few milliseconds.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Rab @ 13th Feb 2010, 11:24am) *
All sudden deaths are tragic, no less the loss of this athletic young man, BUT, to call this idiocy a sport is beyond me. To slide down an icy slope, on your back, on a bit of plastic at 90mph...!! and all for the sake of a few milliseconds.

Aye, so sad. A loss of any life is tragic, but when so young and healthy, wit a waste.

Rab dea you remember sliding doon hills in milanda bried boards / bits of o' yer Maws lino, "borrowed" frea the press, or wit effer you could get yer sticky mitts on?

There by the grace of God go I.

Ye ken wit, once I nearly got run over by a lorry due to this form of "play."

A crowd of us whurr playin up the "Rocks" in Firpark Street, just ootside school. We had made a big icey slide doon the hill, being the eegit ah wus, I went skitting right doon it overshot the end and went flying, erse first, right ontae the road and under a "Trumix" cement mixer that wus ferkling up the brae. Jist as well it was struggling tae get up the brae or the "timing" wid have resulted in me no being here today or being a wee bit smaller than Tomi.

An I goat the belt fur nearly getting kilt, mah teacher belted me fur nearly gieing her a heart attack. Which came as a suprise as she telt me on many an occasion "Yer Maw should huve droont ye at birth."

Auld coo.. Anywi, I liked Mrs Goudie, she was a great orator and her Scottish history lessons whurr the best. Sadly, but she had some form of aversion towards me an I wus always oot the front o' the class or at the sharp end o' a windea pole.

Ah cannea understuand why, for the life o' me. Mibe I wus a wee handfu' <grins>.

tongue.gif
Lennox
Elma, I thought the opening of the Games were great, they covered all of the important things about the Games and Canada about half way through it my 7 year old granddaugher came , she sat down with me and we watched it till she fell alseep about 10 ,mims before the tourch lighting, To see her watxh it made it all the more special .

Tragic news about the luge , but I have always felt that was a dangerous sport..

witshisname
Hi Elma, I managed to catch a fair bit of the opening ceremonies when I got home last night,I thought it was fantastic the way the games were opened by the Snowboarder.
I had to have a chuckle when the 4th part of the cauldron didn't rise up through the floor...lol,it was a nice touch to have the 5 athletes light the Olympic flame,I think we all knew that Wayne Gretzky would have some part in it.
I saw the Horrific crash of the young Georgian athlete,some channels refused to show the Impact & I can certainly understand why,it was such a touching scene as his countrymen entered BC Place and received a standing ovation,I hope they do well in the games.

lizeeloo
Apart from the tragic death of the young man which I thought was handled very well under the circumstances and the technical glitch near the end I have to say it was for me "MAGICAL".

The opening sequence of the snowboarder flying through those hoops was marvellous

KD Lang's rendition of Hallelujah was heart stopping.
I was a bit disappointed in the choice of Wayne Gretzky for the final torch. He didn't seem to be too excited about the whole thing.

All in all, a classy, magnificent opening.

witshisname
Did anyone else notice that when the athlete from Ghana was Introduced,the commentator said he was born in Scotland huh.gif I guess he got better funding from Ghana than he would have done from Great Britain laugh.gif

Lizeeloo,this is the official song for the 2010 winter Olympics..I don't know if you've heard it before,but I think it adds to the magic of the games & stirs up some national pride.

2010 Olympic theme song... I Beleive
lizeeloo
Lizeeloo,this is the official song for the 2010 winter Olympics..I don't know if you've heard it before,but I think it adds to the magic of the games & stirs up some national pride.

Ahh yes, forgot to mention her.
We have been hearing it quite a lot on radio and TV here. Great song
Well known Montreal jazz singer and I am sure we will be hearing a lot more of her smile.gif
Rab-oldname
Latest reports state that the fatality was due to competitor error. However, the luge run will be shortened and a wall raised on a corner! Hmmm.
Tam blair
Watched the opening ceremony last night, only one word for it, WOW. Canadians should feel proud
Elma
They were terrific, weren't they. I am supporting Canada as I have lived here for 43 years but I did cheer when I saw the British team come in and the commentator remarked on the SCOTTISH curling team ..... at last..... biggrin.gif

Tam blair
Way to go Elma. biggrin.gif
Gina46
I`m sure many here watched the opening of the Winter Olympics..what a fantastic show...marred by the death of the poor 'Luge' Georgian....his friend refused to participate in the same sport.

Vancouver, a beautiful city.
Alex MacPhee
Winter Olympics. Seventeen different ways of sliding.
Rabbie
Just a warm up for the Summer Olympics.
Elma
Excuse me, have you seen any of the events of the Winter Olympics? Certainly not a warm up to the Summer Games. The conditions for the Winter Olympics are extreme and the athletes are so conditioned in their sport. I know the summer athletes train just as hard but it is not who can run faster of jump higher in perfect weather.

As Gina has said Vancouver is a beautiful city. I love where I am now but at this time I would love to be back living in Vancouver with all the excitement and the people from all over the world.
TeeHeeHee
Well, I'm sat here, cup of tee,sorry tea tongue.gif in hand and looking out the window at the street bone dry and bereft of snow, although its piled up every where around, and the sun is bathing the whole area like a morning in June.
Tomorrow that scene will be replaced by snow again.
I love watching 17 different ways of sliding ... but only in the comfort of a warm room and on TV. When my grandkids come over in Winter as they sometimes do we have to get the winter snow suits, courtesy of friends, and sledges out and drive up the Black Forest with them where they can have their fun while grand dad joins in with, great reluctance, laughing all the way.
Hate it.
Snae snae go away, come again another day ... as we used to sing.
This kid's birthday falls on Midsummer's Day ... know what I mean? tongue.gif
Rabbie
Noo then Tomi, best use for a ski jump I have seen is the wan The STIG goes skitting doon it in a wan o' them snow mobile things, classic.
Jupiter
I think the Olympics have become nothing more than a status symbol for the nations that apply for and are succesful in staging them.
Ive never really been interested in them and I am totally unamused that part of my TV licence fee has been used in sending a large contingent of BBC staff half way across the globe to cover an event half way up a mountain of people indulging themselves in their minority sports.The thought of the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and the Olympics in Glasgow gives me the creeps.
As far as Vancouver is concerned it is situated in a really nice setting and I particularly enjoy a walk along the front at English Bay.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 16th Feb 2010, 10:20am) *
I think the Olympics have become nothing more than a status symbol for the nations that apply for and are succesful in staging them.

There is something, however, that is primitively beautiful about watching men (or women) racing on foot, and which no other kind of racing has.

I don't know if it's just me getting a narrower perspective on life as times goes by, but some of the activities that have become Olympic games, like beach volleyball or synchronised swimming, however clever they are, are just too ludicrous to be taken seriously. They turn the Games into just another branch of Showbiz. There have been periodic rumours about other sports being taken out of the Games, like fencing, because they are not 'photogenic' enough as crowd pleasers.

TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 16th Feb 2010, 04:11pm) *
There is something, however, that is primitively beautiful about watching men (or women) racing on foot, and which no other kind of racing has.
... There have been periodic rumours about other sports being taken out of the Games, like fencing, because they are not 'photogenic' enough as crowd pleasers.

Ahh! Now I understand your avatar tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Jupiter
Put very well,Alex.
carmella
I absolutely love the Winter Olympics, but don't like or hardly watch the summer Olympics.

I just prefer winter sports to summer ones.

I'm a tad disappointed that the BBC have billed their full coverage of the games, as being just that - but it's not.

I can remember in recent times for example a particular sport like Tennis is shown on BBC 1 full coverage then viewers are told to go to BBC 2 for the remainder - so why can't they do this for the Winter Olympics.

Instead, we are told to press our red buttons, which takes you to a much smaller screen - not much good for me I'm afraid.
Gina46
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 16th Feb 2010, 04:23am) *
Just a warm up for the Summer Olympics.

Good one, Rabbie. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rab-oldname
OLYMPICS ?

YawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClick to view attachment

Can't finish quick enough for me so we can get back to the ordinary rubbish - buts thats just me!
Lennox
What happened to Elma's topic on the Winter Olympics ??? unsure.gif
murn
used to enjoy the figure skating but, with this global warming... well

skating on thin ice
carmella
QUOTE (Lennox @ 16th Feb 2010, 06:58pm) *
What happened to Elma's topic on the Winter Olympics ??? unsure.gif

You are absolutely correct Lennox - Elma started this topic the day the Games opened - perhaps Martin might merge the two.

Here's the link to where she started, perhaps that's where we should be posting from now on.

2010 Winter Olympics
carmella
Elma,

Someone else started a thread in the Topical Discussions forum, after your thread had started.

Not sure, (unless Martin merges them) where to post from now on - here's the link to the other thread.

You'll find it here.
Lennox
QUOTE (carmella @ 16th Feb 2010, 08:15pm) *
Elma,

Someone else started a thread in the Topical Discussions forum, after your thread had started.

Not sure, (unless Martin merges them) where to post from now on - here's the link to the other thread.

You'll find it here.

Thanks Carmella biggrin.gif
carmella
You are welcome Lennox.
Rab-oldname
I could watch this skating all day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHnRIn74Ag
buntyq
The Games are broadcast here at 8 PM. I love the downhill skiing. Having been a skier for many years, and loving every run, I can appreciate the challenge. I am right there in mind with my skis chattering as I race with each skier down to the finish.

There is so much pressure put on the figure skaters. Despite injuries they have to make each performance seem effortless. I am not sure that I would have awarded the Gold to the Chinese couple who came out of retirement. Do you suppose that the results are predetermined? I thought the pair who were awarded the Silver medal gave a more artistic performance. I felt sorry for the young Japanese skater. She became a Russian citizen because Japan doesn't recognize pairs skating.

TeeHeeHee
I can't get over how Great those kids are, Rab. Unbelievable. Full marks to their trainer ... and, I suppose, their sponsor.
Well done kids.
carmella
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 17th Feb 2010, 03:52am) *
I can't get over how Great those kids are, Rab. Unbelievable. Full marks to their trainer ... and, I suppose, their sponsor.
Well done kids.

I agree with you THH - is that not just fantastic piece of advertising - cool or what tongue.gif laugh.gif

Well I agree too with Bunty I so love these games, as I'm also a Winter sports person. I used to be a figure skater, and wanted to try my hands at skiing which I never got around too, but I can empathize with them all.

It's exciting and invigorating to watch.

Shame about the weather they've had (or not had) and yesterday we missed out because of severe fog.

Tonight our time, should be interesting.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 17th Feb 2010, 03:52am) *
Well done kids.

Who says the camera doesn't lie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXD9sx-i0A
carmella
Isn't it just great what they can do nowadays with fancy graphics and camera work LOL laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
Makes you wonder about the Olympics now too. biggrin.gif
carmella
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics last night. The Skiers were all terrific - we stayed up till after 1am otherwise I think we'd have been sitting glued all night.

Lennox
Did anyone see the Snowboard events on the 17th smile.gif my hands were sweating just watching it ..
pumps100
My wife and I have really enjoyed the games so far. We particularly liked the mens and ladies downhill skiing events - the womans especially - it was really exciting to watch. They had to go for it risking all to get the best times - and those for overcooked it took some almighty falls.

I think the BBC coverage on the HD channel has been good. I think Claire Balding does a great job as a link person - she is really professional. The organisers have came in for some stick - in my opinion all or most of it a tad unfair. They cannot be responsible for the weather.

It is refreshing to post on this subject - rather than participate with the current lot on the Identity Theft thread which has gone way off topic! Total drivel.

Regards

Ian
wellfield
Although I enjoyed the 'Snowboarders' it seems they haven't quite got it down to a fine art yet...(Lots of dangerous spills)
carmella
Amy Williams wins the Gold in the Skeleton - this is terrific and so enjoyable.

First time since Robin Cussins won in 1980 - I remember that so well and, my memory must be failing me as I didn't think it seemed that long ago since Britain won a gold in the winter olympics - just goes to show.

Anyway, well done to the girl.

I'm really enjoying it.
Catherine
Talk aboot a nail biter laugh.gif

Party central in Toronto....Cars beepin an flags flyin, EVERY Station givin it the Black Eyed Peas...Tonights gaunni be a good night!!

Twenty four seconds to go and the USA tied which brought us into Overtime, an then oor Sydney scored and thanks be tae God fur THAT wan laugh.gif

Congratulations to the USA for being such a great Team and winning the Silver.
Ahm talkin aboot the Ice Hockey here....incase there's folk who live normally an don't have it in their hoose 24/7 the way ah do whether ah like it or no!

The Olympics have never been off in our House, the Closing Ceremonies are starting, normalacy the morra.

I think it's been BRILLIANT.........Way tae go Canada, Vancouver has done us proud.
Elma
I'm on my own here Catherine, but the television has been on here almost 24/7 as well!!

What a game that was, I'm talking hockey here too folks! Now waiting for the Closing Ceremonies which they have said will be as spectacular as the Opening. CTV are doing a great show right now showing all the Canadian medallists. Can you imagine 14 gold - more than any other country laugh.gif Oh I wish I was back in Vancouver again right now.

It's going to be very quiet after tonight but then the Paralympic Games will be starting soon. I have a vested interest in them as I am a member of our local Access and Inclusivity Committee. Kimberley is hoping to become THE place for disabled athletes to train, we are building a new paralympic centre on the ski hill and our arena has been renovated to take sledge hockey and other disabled sports and businesses are co-operating to become accessible to the disabled.

However, I'm settling in to watch the Closing Ceremonies is about an hour, 6:30 my time, 5:30 in Vancouver. smile.gif

hubert
I watched the whole game Catherine, and congratulations to all Canucks throughout the world, great game, great team.
Did you see that program by Tom Brockow, about the Canadians coming to the aid of Americans when 9/11 happened, the people in Gander Nld took in all the flights redirected and put them up and fed them too, isnt it funny how you never hear these things till years later?
Olympic Hockey USA 2 V. O`Canada 3.
Catherine
Poor Geoff an Max Elma missed the Overtime due to Max havin a game the night at 7pm the other side of the City......Jake and I stayed here tae keep the hoose safe laugh.gif

My Brother in law has taken some amazing photo's at the Games, they live in North Van and have been to so many of the Events, they're HUGE Sports Fans. They got all these Tickets through the Lottery that was held.
He also is a fabulous Amatuer Photographer.I jist don't know how to post the photos.

I've had a few neighbours who went over to the Games from Toronto and jist LOVED it. One was actually on the Telly with his daughter in the background of the TV Presenters and we were aw in the kitchen fawin ower each other shoutin OH THERR'S SUCH AN SUCH laugh.gif ... wis great!

Some might not know but it's roughly the same difference to Vancouver distance wise as it is from Toronto to Scotland.

It sounds great about Kimberlys future hopes Elma, Good luck .
Catherine
Hi ya auld grump...missed ye there Hubert laugh.gif

Hubert I remember that time yer talkin about...folk were even taking the people into their homes and puting them up for nights with clean waashin etc.......was a wonderful feel good story in a time of horrible devastation wasn't it.

I felt awfy sorry for the USA... at the same time of jubilation for the Canadian Team....ma heart breaks for the poor Goalies who let the Goal in, but as ye know Hubert that's because oor Max is a wee Ice Hockey Goalie.

Ah jist cannae go to every game simply because ah jist waant tae kill aw his Team Mates who leave him defendin hisel....Geoffs like 'wid ye jist back aff they're nine years auld' ...but ah guess ahm jist too passionate an a Mother a Boys ah suppose laugh.gif
hubert
Max is a goalie thats something, I bet his gloves and mask cost plenty!
The Olympic goalies USA and Canada I think they asked there dads for gloves and became goalies.
I remember the first goalie to wear a mask was Jacque Plant of the Montreal Canadiens.
Canada won the most gold medals, well done!
The USA put up a good fight in the final, wonder if Donald Sutherland was at the game, I know he was at the curling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.