Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: City Centre Police Get Taser Stun Guns
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow News Blog
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
GG
Police officers patrolling the increasingly violent streets of Glasgow city centre are to be issued with controversial Taser stun guns from 1st April this year. The move is part of a pilot scheme by Strathclyde Police to evaluate the use of the weapons, which deliver a 50,000-volt electric shock via two projected metal hooks, to immobilise suspected offenders and prevent officers being assaulted.

The introduction of the 1000 stun guns for a trial period follows revelations that more than 4000 officers per year are assaulted in the line of duty in Strathclyde. Strathclyde Police Chief Superintendent Bob Hamilton said that the weapons were a safer alternative to batons and CS spray when trying to diffuse volatile situations.

Superintendent Hamilton added:
"The primary reason behind it is for increased protection for officers, the public and the people we deal with. Previously, Tasers were used as a less lethal option for firearms teams. But we feel they can be used where officers or members of the public are facing violent situations to control the people responsible."

Tasers have been criticised by international human rights' bodies, which claim that the stun gun has been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people in the United States over the years. Oliver Sprague of Amnesty International said:

"Of course the police have a duty to protect themselves and the community at large from violent situations, but arming more officers with dangerous weapons without the rigorous training and necessary safeguards could well be a recipe for disaster. Widespread and routine deployments can lead to tasers being misused, as we have seen in the US, which has on some occasions led to death. We don't want to repeat this in UK policing."

Previously only specially trained firearms' officers have been authorised to use Tasers, which have been deployed Strathclyde officers 29 times since their introduction in 2005. From April, however, three officers per shift will carry Tasers. The pilot scheme will be evaluated after six months, and if successful, the stun guns will be introduced across the entire Strathclyde force.

Click to view attachment

GG.
*Peter Harte*
Yes i think Glasgow police should use taser`s,but only if the police are well trained in the use of them.I left Glasgow in 63 and some of the police then I wouldn't trust them with anything. I would like to think they would be better trained now. Over here in Ontario some of the police are are so slight of build they can hardly lift their sidearms so they need the extra protection.
TeeHeeHee
I live in a Land where every police officer, as well as his neighbouring country colleagues, carry automatics on their hip belts.
When I came here at first I thought I wouldn't be too happy with armed police and even after having looked down three muzzles, one a machine pistol, brandished by police officers ... complete misunderstandings in all cases; honest, and a fourth with a border guard down the road from us, I'm glad that none of them were carrying Tasers, because with the exception of the border guard, the other officers would have used them on each occasion; the way things looked in the first few seconds on each occasion they couldn't have been blamed.
But I voted, Yes.
If the cops can't get carrying guns in the UK, or Scotland, then they need to be better armed than with a club and a pepper spray.
It would be hoped that they had more than a few seconds to think before getting wired in .
glasgow lass
I voted yes, the police should have much more protection for themselves and others over there, and for the ones who dont want to be tasered>>>>>dont commit any crime.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 30th Jan 2010, 01:23am) *
I voted yes, the police should have much more protection for themselves and others over there, and for the ones who dont want to be tasered>>>>>dont commit any crime.

... and dont be caught lookin' like you've been committing a crime. biggrin.gif
stratson
I think it's time the police had control of the streets, if this is what has to be, so be it.
Catarina
In Canada, the use of Taser guns has created much controversy on their use....Probably the worse case scenario was their improper use on a man who couldn't speak a word of English...

He landed in Vancouver,and apparently wandered from one place to another for about 8hrs. Finally frustration caused him to act rather strangely,and the Cops were called..

I think there were 4 or 5 of them...Instead of trying to calm the man, maybe in offering him a glass of water,even a chair to sit in showing their concern in a way he could get the message, they came with tasers firing... End of story, the man died. Many other cases where tasers were used,people have suffered heart attacks.

I believe tasers have their place,however extreme caution must be taken in their use.

If Police Officers depend solely on their use to avoid physical contact,which is part of their job,then tragedies will occur. I voted ...yes.....the boys in blue do deserve the best of protection, just don't get carried away with this very dangerous device.
Catarina
Sorry, I should have mentioned that he spent 8hrs at the Vancouver airport, where the police were called.... Of course their version of the story was very different from the pictures that were taken by a bystander.
Lisa Limey
The previous poster - stratson - got it right in that this shocking move -- without any public consultation, because we don't count -- is designed to ensure the police have CONTROL of the streets. However this move is not designed to deter criminals -- they will go about their murderous business as usual without any worries of being caught by an ineffective police authority. Instead this measure is designed to CONTROL the forthcoming civil unrest that will see those made unemployed by bankers greed take to the streets in protest at their lost lives. This is ALL about CONTROLLING legitimate dissent and protest.

In the meantime the streets of Glasgow will still be the most murderous and violent in western Europe.

Have a look at this video and think about what is being said. Look at the violence inflicted and think what the TASER really means on the streets of Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dik-mgCDcg

Or what about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

Listen to the screams of the young boy who was only trying to make a political point, but was pounced on by official thugs.

Lisa.
weebren3
unsure.gif well they have tested this in canada and it has caused some deaths. I feel the police are never sure what they are up against, but then there is always more than one together,or one police will back the other no matter if they were wrong in there actions,then there are people who dont care, I would say guns and drugs are the biggest problem,or in the case of mental problems. I do hope if the police will use good judgment, if they have time to act on that.We are all human, so if it was my son or daughter on either side,they should be well trained and not use it for abuse. I guess there is A long list of reasons of when that action should be taken, not always good enough.A human beings life is at risk. I do hope there is A lot of thought into this use and carefull plan. Dont break the law some mothers heart would be broken. Take Care and value your life.
weebren3
I had A look at that vidio,of the taser being used on the young man at kerrys speach. Ha in the US look how many police they had around too, it is totaly wrong, and the one with the lady, while her kids were in the car and saw it all one police officer, she was lucky he did not take his gun out, thats the norm for the US, all for the camara for all to see. Makes me angry hope he got booted out of the police force. There is always some abuse when they have A badge, it dont give them the right thats why we have A judge and court to deal with the law. Makes me angry, sorry I just hope when they test them in glasgow they are better trained.
mack48
To receive news like this at 4am was shocking(no pun intended).I always watch the Police in USA programs of reality TV,& have seen what these Taser guns do to people,(REGARDLESS OF WHY THE DECISION TO USE THEM IS DECIDED,Which comes down to singular Police officers equipped with them,has been terrible.I am hitting 50 years old. & not broken laws in 31/32 Years.(Which were minor traffic violations).But after watching US officers call out to Freeze! & perpetrators in broken laws like stealing cars etc ,& panicking,making them run,a reaction that even a chocolate bar theif can get.Then to be hooked by 2 wires fired JUST LIKE A DEADLY GUN,that puts them on ground unable to move.(ok,it stops a chase! But aren't our police meant to be fit enough to chase until caught? Therefore,crooks that tasers are used on,could have heart problems,Even pacemakers going to extreme.& suddenly 50,000 volts are jolted into them? Are officers who get to carry these terrible tasers going to take responsibility if their taser action causes a death? I refer to 30+ years ago whilst setting up my electric guitar & Amp for a practice night in a band,& uk voltage of 240v,but wires were stretched in the main ug,& my strings became live,I couldn't move or speak,& was so rigid with 240v I fell like a straight up statue over a table,with guitar stuck to both hands.& quick thinking by my brother who played bass in the band made him kicked the guitar from my touch,in effect,saving my life!! When others thought I was joking around!! I had 6 lines from the strings on one hand,& 4 lines on other hand,burnt into me badly.& I was shaking bad for around 45 minutes.So I imagine say,an opportunist theif who grabs a handbag etc.& police are nearby & warnings of STOP are ignored in panic.& he/she may have angina,of other related problems that 50,000volts would kill!! By what I've seen on reality tv police do not shout out that a taser with 50k volts are going to be fired at them.No,they just release the coils & hooks & I've stated some consequences.If Tasers are being allowed,why not go the full hog & provide hand guns too!! This is an absolutely terrible decision to give police this power.Guns were always a No Go except special forces facing terrorists etc,but beat & car patrols etc should not be given these highly dangerous items.There are too many stories of officers being put off the force due to a court case showing bad treatment etc.Let guns & tasers & more stay in the other side of the world,is my opinion!!
cocotkd
a lethal peace,put in the hands of police in glasgow oh what fun they will have with these, it will be like an arcade shooting gallery in the streets of glasgow. the police here are to afraid of youth today but i don't think they should be giving these weapons, every police officer should take a course on martial arts until they are black belt level then put on the streets where they would be able to handle a situation much easier. but the police in glasgow will use first and ask questions later and i think the public know this. some poor guy will come out of the pub drunk stagger down the road next minute he'll be told to stop and refuse then BANG tazered. the police get to protect themselves with these, what about victims of crime can we go buy these, no chance so why should they be aloud to get them because after all they don't protect the public, the victim is in hospital before they come and say what happened to you. another thing that bothers me i am diabetic and i could take a hypo at any time and taking a hypo can make you do silly things you don't know you are doing for example i could be walking the streets in my bare feet and no top on and not have a clue i am doing it,next minute i,m getting tazered because i,m doing something out of the ordinary and the police wont approach me to say whats wrong they will stand back and zap 50,000 volts.

all the best people enjoy the debate this is only my opinion
Rob Rattray
Can't actually see the necessity for weapons, but as 1st April has been mentioned for the 'trial' release, can't see that eventuating anyhow!
If it does creep in, it will only prove how modern policing needs to hide behind the alleged 'protection' of firearms when we, the public, are told of their [firearms] illegality!
*amclpreston*
I'm very much not in favour of increasing the abiliities of police to commit violence by remote control.
*kirrie kiwi*
Great idea tazers have been in use in NZ for a while and have saved lives mostly the Crim as he would have been shot with a gun and most likely killed
One has only to see universal TV reports of of police continually around the globe, batoning protesters on the ground, to wonder what the real reason behind this big brother move is really about. We are the most monitored and policed society in Western Europe. The fact that society is also going downhill is purely coincidental. The answer to everything is not security. Britain and the US have made the Middle East a hot spot by their Imperialist interference and has created these very terrorists and its out of control security is of their own making.

Listening to Tony Blair and their false inquiry things can only get worse.
*John Manson*
Hi there

I think our police have enough problems and do not agree with arming them in any fashion. I only agree with specially trained gun squadies and not individual officers. Can you i magine shinny buttons in Ayr, blow your nose and your gettin it.

No thanks.
*Andrea*
QUOTE (stratson @ 30th Jan 2010, 12:57am) *
I think it's time the police had control of the streets, if this is what has to be, so be it.

Here Here agreed.
So we are told that Strathclyde Police are responsible enough to police both themselves and the public? Well take the case of a Strathclyde policeman who has gained himself the happy moniker of "Shiny Buttons". This week PC Shiny Buttons was in the news because he issued a 60 fixed penalty notice a man who blew his nose while in his car. Of course you say he must have been driving on a motorway at the time.... but no, the motorist was in fact stationary in his vehicle at the time, stuck in a traffic jam with the handbrake on. The young driver had never been in trouble with the police and has since refused to pay it and is intent on taking the issue through the courts to clear his name.

Another of PC Shiny Buttons most recent exploits was to issue another fine, this time 50 fixed penalty, to an unemployed man who accidentally dropped a 10 note in the street after leaving a shop.

Do you really think the streets of Strathclyde would be any safer by giving PC Shiny Buttons a 50000volt Taser???
Alemass
Glasgow Lass states that if you don't want to be tasered then don't commit a crime. Her naivete certainly does not empower her logic. The case cited by Caterina re the Polish immigrant who was virtually murdered by the five Mounties who each blasted him with this "safe" weapon multiplying the voltage many times, and all because no one could understand him and when an interpreter could not be found. He was blasted and blasted and blasted Glasgow Lass without having committed a crime. This incident was defended by the Mounties who lied to protect each other.
Fortunately a Public inqury has found them to be guilty of negligence causing death but the recommendations have still to be enacted. There are many other incidents of Taser misuse here and in the US. Arm the cops and then watch the criminals arm themselves.
ronnieauld
wit a glesga polis with a taser gun omg, there bad enough with there batons, besides it has been proven world wide that tasers can cause DEATH in certain conditions, so how wid the polis know who is wearing an pace maker or has heart condition ect ect. I say NO to glesga polis having tasers.
ricky1824
I voted yes as long as they don't give one to the EEDJIT in Ayr Constabulary who booked the guy for blowing his nose in a traffic jam whilst stationary what a waste of Police resources.
I agree with tasers in principal as long as they are given to trained personnel and not some Rookie straight out of Tulliallan with some naive judgement calls.My one fear is them getting into the hands of the bad guys some of the Police on the street are wee lassies playing in uniforms with the no height restriction and the welfare state the thugs are bigger than the Polis rolleyes.gif
glasgow lass
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Jan 2010, 12:43am) *
... and dont be caught lookin' like you've been committing a crime. biggrin.gif

Good morning Tee, well lets say that the police were carrying guns and I only looked like I had committed a crime, then a could say tae maself, oh dont worry Lass, your only going to get your head blown off. biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Hi Lass. in the (true) cases that I mentioned here where it looked like I was the criminal the police, obviously, didn't blow my head off ... although in one case I, too, was armed. They came into a room looking for a nutter with a gun and found a guy in a suit with a bloody nose and mouth and a guy with a pony tail wearing a leather jacket, Ossy Osbourne T shirt, stretch jeans and Cuban Heel boots, about to pull him up by the jacket lapels. Guess who was wearing the Ossy Osbourne T shirt? rolleyes.gif
I had just disarmed the suit who had come to the hotel to shoot the manager. But when the police came in ... you can guess who they thought the baddy was. I just put my arms in the air and let one of them throw me against the wall.
Seconds later the girl who had screamed for my help came in and told the police I was the goody.
The police normally don't shoot ... not out here, anyway, until they must. And if they're pointing guns at close range there's no way I'm giving them cause to shoot. So no one's shooting.
But with a Taser?
They'd have Tased me right away to be on the safe side.
petunia
I have seen the results of taser use in Canada as someone mentioned in Vancouver where a mentally disturbed person died as the result of being tasered and he wasn't the first.
Growing up in Glasgow I don't remember guns being necessary to keep people safe but the world has changed and crime like in many places has increased whereby policing is more dangerous than when the "bobby"was on the beat.
I voted to wait and see but I do believe that our police officers need some kind of deterant when out there
scotia69
It seems to me that the police of to-day are dammed if the do and dammed if they don't. If people can't do the time , don't commit the crime.
Anne1
I wouldnt like to see the Tazers being used by Glasgow Police
check what happened in canada when the mounties used them
Java
Me neither Anne...ah voted no...huh.gif
fronswa
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Jan 2010, 02:08pm) *
They'd have Tased me right away to be on the safe side.

Yup!

We all know that most of the police will be reasonable if they were allowed to carry them, but FAR too many will 'trigger happy'.

I have to add though that Strathclyde police seem a lit bit more reasonable on the whole. Especially if you compare them to the Met' in London. mad.gif

But if you give the police something... they're going to use it. No doubt about it.

Look at the Terror Laws, and the number of people that have been detained using them.
-The guy at the Labour conference -
-Two journalists at an arms fair in London
- and the best of the bunch... one of the Lords that actually helped set up the terror law in the first place. huh.gif
None of them had anything to do with terrorism. It was just a handy tool that allowed the officers on duty to cut corners, and detain someone without reasonable cause.

If you think about the trial period... what officer is going to abuse it, or be too quick to use it if they are under close scrutiny? None!
Jim D
The current Taser guns operate using low current and high voltage. It is used to cause an involuntary contraction of the muscles.

The shock from a household appliance is more dangerous.

Police officers in Scottish Police forces are trained in all methods, baton, handcuffs and CS spray. This training is continuous throughout their service. You cannot be an operative officer unless you have qualified and continue to re-qualify in the skills annually. It is part of the compusory officer safety training, which also include basic first aid and CPR. Each time an officer uses any of these he must be able to personally justify his use of force.

Officers have been wearing "stab proof" body armour for years? Why? I think it was issued because it was deemed necessary. A person with a knife is potentially and commonly a killer. That person could justifiably be shot dead by a firearms officer.

The skills required to use a Taser gun required strict rules regarding when it IS and is NOT justifiable in using such force.
The Taser gun has been in use by authorised firearms officers in Scottish Forces for a number of years . Have we heard of any horror stories? If there were we would have heard of them in the press.

Unlike officers in other countries, the Police in Scotland do not approach a motorist with a gun in order to do a routine check. The normal approach is that the person in the car is a normal member of the public. Why should that change?

On the other hand, if the person is causing a danger to the officer or other members of the public? That person deserves to receive the full force of the law!

Why should a Police officer be deliberately under-equipped to protect himself and the public? The officer is the person you would expect to come to your assistance when you are attacked and when you are in danger - to possibly put themselves into the same dangerous situation with you. They would then be expected to relieve you from that danger. That action requires suitable equipment to minimise the danger to themselves and the public.
No, no, no,!-the UK Police Force is respected the world over for being able to handle difficult situations with diplomacy and teamwork, not tasers and guns. Although even the Police are not perfect, they are just a reflection of the society they live and work in and considering this we must support them, not encourage them to be pro-actively aggressive. This is always the temptation when you arm 'peacekeepers'. The record shows, that apart from a few sad cases the Police have managed to control the streets protecting themselves and the innocent public without this kind of thing. I fear, if brought into use, it could be a slippery slope..towards packing pistols. My father was a policeman and he feared the acceptance of arming in any way would give criminals more excuse to be violent and consequently damage trust in our Police men and women, all who have signed up to protect us without the help of mainstream weaponry.
fronswa
QUOTE (Jim D @ 30th Jan 2010, 06:07pm) *
Why should a Police officer be deliberately under-equipped to protect himself and the public? The officer is the person you would expect to come to your assistance when you are attacked and when you are in danger - to possibly put themselves into the same dangerous situation with you. They would then be expected to relieve you from that danger. That action requires suitable equipment to minimise the danger to themselves and the public.

They have stab proof vests, batons, CS spray, handcuffs, vans, cars, helicopters, dogs, and considerable assistance at the call of a radio - which includes assault rifles, and armoured riot squads.
Add to that the fact that they have more rights under legislation than normal citizens (quite impressive rights that are abused on a daily basis by some). Granted, with that, they are also obliged to get involved in a situation - if they didn't they could be charged, unlike normal folk who can pass by a rape etc, and wouldn't be committing a crime.

We give the police a considerable edge over the rest of us in society so that they can perform their role. And rightly so. But there's limits, and some of us disagree where those limits are.

To say that they are accountable if they screw up and misuse their powers is a bit of a stretch by the way.
Yeah... they'll be disciplined if there are independent credible witnesses nearby.
If not?
The Met were trying to blame protesters for the death of that guy in London until camcorder footage came out. The police are only accountable if someone is there to see them, or the officers present are willing to 'rat out' their colleagues, and that's pretty rare to find given the nature and conditions of their work-life.

Police in Glasgow are pretty professional in my experience, but where I grew up they were off their heads.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (fronswa @ 30th Jan 2010, 08:41pm) *
... Granted, with that, they are also obliged to get involved in a situation - if they didn't they could be charged, unlike normal folk who can pass by a rape etc, and wouldn't be committing a crime.

That's strange. In Germany if you walk past someone in trouble and ignore the situation, you have committed a crime, Same as if you drive past a car accident where people might be injured and ignore that, you have committed a crime.
fronswa
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Jan 2010, 08:57pm) *
That's strange. In Germany if you walk past someone in trouble and ignore the situation, you have committed a crime, Same as if you drive past a car accident where people might be injured and ignore that, you have committed a crime.

Yeah.
I'd probably prefer it if people were obliged to step in, assuming they are able bodied etc.

'Bystander Intervention' is a funny subject though. It's all well and good me saying that people should step in and get involved, but until I'm in that situation, and faced with any risks etc, it's all just talk on my part.

When you mention someone in trouble in Germany, do you mean general trouble, or being assaulted by another?
I can understand the car accident thing in.
j.irvine bell
I have voted to wait and see. I see that usual know it all politicos are at it again. Anytime the subject of the police is raised they are out with their mythical accusations of riot squads beating up the population as a whole and their political fellow travellers in particular. As we all know the preservation of public order is a police matter and it can hardly be otherwise unless you want to return to the days of the army and militia controlling the private citizens of this country. I am really tired of the constant comparisons of Scotlands police forces with the multiple law enforcement agencies and their methods in the U.S.A. who seem to cross each others paths. In recent years we have seen the G8 summit at Gleneagles and although there was some localised violence - probably on both sides - the fact remains that compared with law enforcement agencies on the continent and elsewhere our police used a softly softly approach which was overall a success and for which they should be commended. Perhaps the miners strikes in the eighties - another of Thatchers legacies - caused a lot of concerns about police tactics and methods but it appears that they have learned from this. It is also curious that the bloggers opposed to this have questioned the training of the police in the use of this weapon. I would expect that the officers concerned would receive full training as every other specialist in the police does from your traffic cop, dog handler, mounted division, C.I.D. officers and last by no means least your firearms specialist. I have never been in favour of an armed police service other than those especially trained in the use of firearms when the occasion demands it, but not only the level of violence but the very methods used in this new century demand something more than a wooden or extending metal truncheon or even a pepper or similar spray. Not only for the protection of the officers but the public they serve. To the vast majority of people whose contact with the police is rare if ever and who are not politically radical in the extreme sense whether of the left or right, the police are thought off very little until some serious disruption offending society in general, or the death or serious injury of an officer on duty and the even rarer occasions of corrupt officers, comes to their attention via the media . Then the approbation or condemnation comes but is normally in both cases short lived. If this device proves to be effective in containing violent crime then it should be available to SELECTED and voluntary officers for the protection of the public as well as the police. So let us await the outcome of the trial period and the assessment by all the experts, including public opiniion, and we can take up this debate again. Let the hotheads have their say - they will anway as we all live in a democracy that allows us so to do and not in a totalitarian state where opposition is swiflty and often violently executed in every sense of the word. I would not normally support any wait and see approach but as our Nation and City have had no real experience of such methods on a day to day basis, this I contend is the best way forward without compromising the integrety of the excercise. dry.gif
TeeHeeHee
Fronswa, I think if you see someone being assaulted and don't at least inform the police asap then you are liable to criminal prosecution. If you walk or drive past as if you had seen nothing and do nothing you have commited a crime. ( ... and if you were clocked on a CCTV being a passer-by ... ?)
But I'll check it out and let you know on that.
Bob T
"...he feared the acceptance of arming in any way would give criminals more excuse to be violent and consequently damage trust in our Police men and women, all who have signed up to protect us without the help of mainstream weaponry. "

Time to wake up! I've lived in 3 other countries where police are armed and i've never felt threatend. Look at what happened at the ASDA carpark a week ago. If there was a patrol car there, they could have followed the suspects instead of getting on the radio and waiting for the armed squad. 15 minutes would be a long time to wait if you were getting shot at.

So, would we have circumvented WWII by getting rid of the army navy and AF?

No sidearms is great in fantasy land, but in the city with the highest knife crime rate in Europe, they are a nessesity.
R Mac
Hi fronswa,

It is not worth getting involved in any violence here. I have intervened twice in Glasgow, once on Sauciehall St and one in the West End where people were gettingkicked in the head on the ground. The second time group tried to attack me. End result? I was charged wih assulting a minor (17 years) and 19 year old. The guy getting kicked didn't want to press charges on the gang, but the gang were happy to do it to me. Luckily they didn't turn up on the day in court, but geez.

The Lesson:
Do not ever get involved in anything.
weebren3
sorry I need to replym regarding german post. We dont live in germany but in any situation when some one is in an acident or needs help in A car,crash sick, or being attacked,we would have to be A moron,no compasion not to do something to help,would be totaly wrong.I have never met A scots who would not do that,or even call the police in A bad situation,at least we would do something right. Anyway my opinion again,we all have that right,and it would be A crime if we done zipo. dry.gif
Rabbie
Naw.

I widnea even trust some bizzies with a bottle of tizer let alone 50 000 volt "stun gun." Wits next, equipping the foosties with tranquilizer darts an blaw pipes? Mind ye that would suit some of them.

Must be other ways of curbing the "growing violence" on the "streets.", like reducing the causes in the first instance?

Same old crapperage, fight fire with fire, maybe buckets of cauld water wid be better fur “cleaning up the streets.”
*Jim McGee*
If we didn't have politcally correct socialism in this country, we wouldn't have half as much crime. The ridiculously scrawny little male and female coppers who arrive at the scene of an incident is enough to evoke raucous laughter.. A physical presence is neccessary to keep thugs in order. Big sturdy men in uniform rarely have to lift a finger to stop a disturbance and would rarely require a stun gun . The idiots who removed the size and weight guidlines for police entry are to blame for civil disorder. The big lads in the force must dread being paired with one of these arrogant midgets. It doesn't matter if a 5Ft copper can handle him/herself, they look ridiculous straining to run weighed down by a belt full of accessories. If you are a little police officer you are there because of socialist equality stupidity not because the police or public want you, help the cause of law and order and get a job at ASDA.
*Jim McGee*
QUOTE (Guest @ 30th Jan 2010, 06:56pm) *
No, no, no,!-the UK Police Force is respected the world over for being able to handle difficult situations with diplomacy and teamwork, not tasers and guns. Although even the Police are not perfect, they are just a reflection of the society they live and work in and considering this we must support them, not encourage them to be pro-actively aggressive. This is always the temptation when you arm 'peacekeepers'. The record shows, that apart from a few sad cases the Police have managed to control the streets protecting themselves and the innocent public without this kind of thing. I fear, if brought into use, it could be a slippery slope..towards packing pistols. My father was a policeman and he feared the acceptance of arming in any way would give criminals more excuse to be violent and consequently damage trust in our Police men and women, all who have signed up to protect us without the help of mainstream weaponry.

I'm sorry mate. you must be living in a different Glasgow from me. the police officer who steps in front of us to protect us from a thug needs the tools to do the job, personally i would give them all guns.
Melody
Aw Rabbie ah'm wi you pal as usual. Sometimes yer posts are aw that keep me just on this side of sanity. smile.gif Enough to say I don't agree with this zapping of folk business.
the wean
QUOTE (GG @ 29th Jan 2010, 10:27pm) *
Police officers patrolling the increasingly violent streets of Glasgow city centre are to be issued with controversial Taser stun guns from 1st April this year. The move is part of a pilot scheme by Strathclyde Police to evaluate the use of the weapons, which deliver a 50,000-volt electric shock via two projected metal hooks, to immobilise suspected offenders and prevent officers being assaulted....

I think taser guns are a good idea only if the officers that are using them do so wisely and not just for the sake of it.
Jim D
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 31st Jan 2010, 04:12pm) *
Naw.

I widnea even trust some bizzies with a bottle of tizer let alone 50 000 volt "stun gun." Wits next, equipping the foosties with tranquilizer darts an blaw pipes? Mind ye that would suit some of them.

Must be other ways of curbing the "growing violence" on the "streets.", like reducing the causes in the first instance?

Same old crapperage, fight fire with fire, maybe buckets of cauld water wid be better fur “cleaning up the streets.”

Considering some of the weapons that an unarmed police officer has to face, your approach is such that you might aswell give them a bottle of Tizer to try and apprehend someone with a dangerous or lethal weapon.

The officers safety and the publics safety must be the priority.

It is a "pilot" project at the moment. Lets await the outcome. All the various statistics will be available when it it complete to decide whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

As for curbing the growing violence on the street?

The violence was met by an equal violence by the police. Result - Police1 Thugs 0.

Was it the right approach? It certainly isn't the approach that our politicians would like in this modern age.
fronswa
QUOTE (R Mac @ 31st Jan 2010, 05:15am) *
Hi fronswa,

It is not worth getting involved in any violence here. I have intervened twice in Glasgow, once on Sauciehall St and one in the West End where people were gettingkicked in the head on the ground. The second time group tried to attack me. End result? I was charged wih assulting a minor (17 years) and 19 year old. The guy getting kicked didn't want to press charges on the gang, but the gang were happy to do it to me. Luckily they didn't turn up on the day in court, but geez.

The Lesson:
Do not ever get involved in anything.

Yeah, I know a few horror stories. But if you look on the bright side, you might have saved that guy from brain injury or sumthin'.
The more people that are willing to take a risk and get involved in some way or another, the better. I think that some of the thugs are willing to go mental in the streets because they know there's little chance of other getting involved. You getting involved that time could well have made those 'minors' think twice about acting up in public again.

I was involved in a stramash on a bus a while ago, ah even got called as a witness. Because me and another bloke got involved, the other bloke far more than me, I'm pretty sure the guys causing the problem got a shock.

It's all about weighing up the pros and cons I suppose. There's some situations where getting involved is just not on. If the worse that happens is you get called to court on bogus charges then I'd say it's well worth it.
tamhickey
I voted no. Do we really want to see violence prosper? If we equip the police with tazers, you can be sure that the really serious villains will equip themselves with more guns, and that will, in turn, lead to the cops being issued with guns. I think it's a hard enough job for the police just now, but this may make their job even more difficult in the long run.
TeeHeeHee
Why are the majority of folks here against arming police on the whole?
Is the UK the only Island on the planet where those who must maintain law and order have to go about it unarmed?
Personally I'd rather not pussy about with Tasers and issue 9mm guns instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.