Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nasa
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Rabbie
Astronomers say they are on the verge of finding planets like Earth orbiting other stars, a key step in determining if we are alone in the universe.

A top Nasa astronomer and other leading scientists say that within four or five years they should discover the first Earth-like planet where life could develop, or may have already.

A planet close to the size of Earth could even be found this year if preliminary hints from a new space telescope pan out.

At the annual American Astronomical Society conference in Washington this week, each discovery involving so-called "exoplanets" - those outside our solar system - pointed to the same conclusion: quiet planets like Earth where life could develop are probably plentiful, despite a violent universe of exploding stars, crushing black holes and colliding galaxies.

Nasa's new Kepler telescope and a wealth of new research from the suddenly hot and competitive exoplanet field generated noticeable buzz at the convention.

Scientists are talking about being at "an incredible special place in history" and closer to answering a question that has dogged humanity since the beginning of civilisation.

"The fundamental question is: are we alone? For the first time, there's an optimism that sometime in our lifetimes we're going to get to the bottom of that," said Simon "Pete" Worden, an astronomer who heads Nasa's Ames Research Centre.

"If I were a betting man, which I am, I would bet we're not alone -- there is a lot of life."

Even the Roman Catholic Church has held scientific conferences about the prospect of extraterrestrial life, including a meeting last November.

TeeHeeHee
It's obvious that there are exoplanets which support other life forms. Where else could the half of the bummers in our governments have come from Rabbie? rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
Rab-oldname
'Even the Roman Catholic Church has held scientific conferences about the prospect of extraterrestrial life, including a meeting last November.'

You bet they are! They will have a lot of explaining to do - along with the others!
weemagreegur
Ah hope there is a god that keeps mankind well an truly tethered here on earth tae we learn some basics aboot how tae keep oor livin space healthy. Wid be interested, though in how the various churches wid welcom the competition o different life forms, even different religions if mankind his managed tae get that faur afore. Ah hope we ur forced intae look bit don't touch situation fur aeons yet, at least tae we evolve enough o a brain tae no assume we kin dae as we please wi ither planets and ither lifeforms. Course, it is merr than possible the lifeforms on ither planets, if there ur any will see us as fresh fodder, tainted though we might be.

Bit ur we even gonny be permitted tae look wayyyy oot intae space if we let oorsels be chained tae religions that wid enslave aw oor minds? Whit's the chances o mulsim Britain educatin anybiddy beyond the koran, if it isny in the interests o the mad mullahs?
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (weemagreegur @ 8th Jan 2010, 04:44pm) *
Bit ur we even gonny be permitted tae look wayyyy oot intae space if we let oorsels be chained tae religions that wid enslave aw oor minds?

What religions do you have in mind that "enslave minds"?
Rabbie
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Jan 2010, 02:39pm) *
It's obvious that there are exoplanets which support other life forms. Where else could the half of the bummers in our governments have come from Rabbie? :rolleyes

England?

tongue.gif
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 8th Jan 2010, 10:12pm) *

Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick! laugh.gif laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 02:52am) *
Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick! laugh.gif

Rab, is that a pick I see in your tongue? you've a cheek tongue.gif
Tam blair
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Jan 2010, 02:17am) *
Rab, is that a pick I see in your tongue? you've a cheek tongue.gif

T H, After you've picked your cheek wi your tongue, whit then. unsure.gif
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Tam blair @ 9th Jan 2010, 03:47am) *
T H, After you've picked your cheek wi your tongue, whit then. unsure.gif

You Take Your Pick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstrj15XpWQ...layer_embedded#
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 01:52am) *
Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick!

Och, I just glimpsed a nice fat trout slipping by in the water, and thought I'd put out a hook to see if I could reel him in...

Just sitting here with my gutting knife and sharpening stone... shick, shick, shick
Rab-oldname
Click to view attachment Can't wait!
Tam blair
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 12:31pm) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif
weemagreegur
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 8th Jan 2010, 11:12pm) *

Well, ah believe that any religion that insists on wan interpretation o preferred ancient tomes, and will not tolerate any re-consideration or examination of the tenets and dogma haunded doon fur generations, binds its adherents as firmly as any glue. Aye, some religions encourage folk tae question everything, bit the predominant three, Judaism, christianity,and islam, are not open to questions by the uncovinced. Death or torment are great persuaders, but no proof of anything but might for wrong.

If ever there wis a time for real wonder and awe at this wonderful universe, this is it, when we kin see before oor very eyes whit is oot there. Of course, even that his tae be taken on some sort of faith; fur aw we know it is aw smoke an mirrors. Bit seein it is wonderful disny prove how it came aboot. Nae religion ah know aboot admits that we don't know an mibbe wurny meant tae know.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (weemagreegur @ 11th Jan 2010, 08:15pm) *
Well, ah believe that any religion that insists on wan interpretation o preferred ancient tomes, and will not tolerate any re-consideration or examination of the tenets and dogma haunded doon fur generations, binds its adherents as firmly as any glue.
Aye, some religions encourage folk tae question everything, bit the predominant three, Judaism, christianity,and islam, are not open to questions by the uncovinced.

The empirical evidence is against the notion that adherents are firmly bound to the religion because it will not tolerate examination of the tenets of the faith. If it were true, you would not be able to explain why it is that church attendances and memberships are falling. I have no experience of Judaism or Islam, but the tenets of Christianity are regularly examined and re-considered ; the practice of Christianity in the twenty-first century is in many ways different from that of even a hundred years ago. If Christianity did not admit different interpretations, there would be only one stream of Christian thought and perspective, and this is patently untrue ; the empirical evidence is against your argument.

Death or torment are great persuaders, but no proof of anything but might for wrong.

What do you have in mind as "death or torment"?

Nae religion ah know aboot admits that we don't know an mibbe wurny meant tae know.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
weemagreegur
Last wan first. Dae ye kno o any religon that admits that they don't know if there is a god, or that they don;t know its rules an regulations, or that even admits they might well no be equipped tae know, or entitled tae know these things.

Noo, ma remembrance o biblical lore is rusty, bit did ah no read that god created death and torment tae punish the two pets in the gerdin who wur naive enough tae believe a talkin snake? Ah think ah'd believe a talkin snake right noo if wan appeared ,bit then ah know better, fur ah hiv experience o lots o ungodly folk, particualrly the wans that appear on telly promisin this an that in the name o some version o the biblical god.

Noo, why a god o total goodness could even think up death, pestilence, eternal torment, an aw the ither things that ur blamed on Adam an Eve, ah widny know,widny think these things wid cross his mind when a wee skelp on the erse wid hiv sufficed. Bit the things god inflicted upon Adam an Eve ,(accordin tae the bible)fur believin the talkin snake didny stoap there, did they? It it seems aw the animals an plants must hiv been included in his rage, fur humans ur no the only wans that get sick an die. Mibbe it wis the snake's fault.

As tae the original theme o the topic. Ah sincerely hope that afore we contaminate ither planets wi oor foul weys, we come tae understaun that there is a lot that we don't know. Ah hope we come tae the conclusion that nane o the so-called holy books is the word o any god, unless it is a mischievous wan that is haudin its sides laughin at oor antics. Sad tae say, ah think we will kerry the virus o religion wi us, though which wans will be hard tae tell.
weemagreegur
You are right,Alex, the practice of christianity his certainly chinged ower the last century, as folk rethink the immutable word of god, Sno the word that his chinged, it is the interpretation, eh? Nae hame confinment fur modern day Galileos these days, bit certainly an interference wi their right tae introduce newer theories aboot how the earth and mankind came aboot, especially when it disny jive wi the biblical lore,or the remnant beliefs o ancient men.

Religion is a relic o ancient man's meanderin mind. It should be open tae interpretation, bit few ur open enough tae profess they got it wrang. People ur free tae haud dear whitever religion they choose, bit when they insist on imposin it on hale societies, then they hiv tae resort tae silencin those they deem too threatening.

The crusaders believed in might for right, bit right wis their version o right. Different versions or right aroon noo, causin jist as much trouble, if no merr, as the risin radical islamic empire proves. Might fur wrang, in ma opinion. Maist religions ur enforced by fear. Fear o offendin the big god, who his tae be adored or appeased or he will dae horrible things tae us. No much different than any pagan god, really, if his options ur love him or burn in hell, eh?

Is it too hard tae believe that we don't know why we ur here, an mibbe it's jist as well? Oor curiousity might be insatiable, and lauunches us oot intae space tae explore the universe. Bit dae we really need tae takeoor auld beliefs alang wi us tae contaminate the rest o the universe? We don't hiv tae make up fairytales any merr aboot entities we know nothin aboot. It is honourable tae admit ye don't know, and ye don't think any o the auld lore is anythin merr than the musings o simple, paternalistic folk tryin tae puzzle the world oot. They canny aw be right, bit they kin certrainly aw be wrang.

So, kin we no jist relish the wonder withoot turnin it intae a big scary mosnter that his tae be appeased or it's gonny get ye?
TeeHeeHee
Weemagreegur, ye remin' me o' that wee jooker fae the toon rit ran aroon' wi' yon Maheekin, ra last yin, "Hochaye Ranoo".
Ah'd likely huf made a sumlir statemint as yon yin abuv; bit Ah'd uf mibi wordit it a wee bit difrent. tongue.gif

That apart, mate, do you not wonder sometimes just who this Scary Monster really was who managed to get all those ancient post-bronze age people to fear him enough to accept him as the God he said he was.
As far as I can work out he had a whole array of weapons and trix that would have people today, from Werner von Braun to Dubya, creamin' themselves; and that's not to mention genetic manipulation. And if we could accept that, in theory at least, might his race not have possibly had a wee hand in maybe re-directing massive great boulders in this planet's direction as a first step in clearing the way of Dino and co. to make possible - long term thinking - a better chance of survival of a wee primatal-split which with further manipulation might one day post in GG?
Noo, am no' tryin' to form ma aen religin here, am jist throwin' thoughts aboot. No' whit a mean, china? tongue.gif
weemagreegur
Och, ah'm as curious as any aboot how we got here an why, bit if it wis wan big omnipotent, how come there ur so many versions? Obviously no omnipotent enough tae communicate clearly, or mibbe no interested in whether humans knew its whys or wherefores.

Every culture dis seem tae hiv its supernaturals, so there seems tae be a need tae attribute the things we canny understaun tae some entity merr powerful than humans kin be. Mibbe there is such an entity, bit oor need tae understaun it leads us aw madly aff in so many directions.

Religion an relic hiv the same root. Remnants o whit, ah wonder? Oor minds ur capable o adaptin, bit o many strap them firmly tae wan religious raft no realisin that closin the mind tae any bit yer ain beliefs kin be an evolutionary dead end.

Nae need tae rely on ancient folklore tae explain the multiverse. Jist as easy tae accept that ye don't know everything, an love graspin the wee bits o understaunin that dae come yer wey. Jist as much joy in acceptin that this might be the only life ye get, as dependin on some folkloric saviour tae chinge yer circumstances.

At this stage in oor exploration o the universe, ah think we ur like weans in a china store. Look bit don't touch! We know oor ain capacity tae mess thngs up. Let's hope we kin clear up oor mess here afore we dare tae contaminate other planets.
Rab-oldname
Funny that weemacgregor. As an aside:: My doctor once told me I was 'omnipotent'. Great, I thought, so I went around the town explaining in all the pubs that they should all bow down to me etc etc. My doctor got to hear of this and called me back to the surgery where he informed me that 'Omnipotent was NOT the word I used!'. sad.gif
Rabbie
We are here due to atomic, biological, chemical processes and the passage of a fair bit o' time.

Simples.
TeeHeeHee
.... or cos a wee sodjer came hame on leave ! biggrin.gif cool.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 16th Jan 2010, 11:58am) *
.... or cos a wee sodjer came hame on leave ! biggrin.gif cool.gif

Sure is wusnea Jack Tar?!
kerry4652
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 16th Jan 2010, 10:25am) *
We are here due to atomic, biological, chemical processes and the passage of a fair bit o' time.

Simples.

If ye got proof of that and if so ye better no tell some heid bummers in certain places or you might find yerself waking up wae a horse's heid on yer pillow.
Rabbie
QUOTE (kerry4652 @ 16th Jan 2010, 04:07pm) *
If ye got proof of that and if so ye better no tell some heid bummers in certain places or you might find yerself waking up wae a horse's heid on yer pillow.

Ave woken up to things worse looking than a horses erse on mah pillow but that's another story.
kerry4652
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 16th Jan 2010, 05:49pm) *
Ave woken up to things worse looking than a horses erse on mah pillow but that's another story.

Ah the joy of alcohol! Ah'm sure there must be a god after all or we would all be tee total with a lot less tales to tell.
Rabbie
QUOTE (kerry4652 @ 16th Jan 2010, 05:07pm) *
Ah the joy of alcohol! Ah'm sure there must be a god after all or we would all be tee total with a lot less tales to tell.

Aye thank nature for Alcohol, it numbs the pain when ye have to chew yer arm aff when ye wake up next to some strange rottweiler and shes lieing on yer arm. Coyote joab.. noo thats wan fur the Pigs' Baur.

Oh time to visit the confession boax again. Tomi, you deaing confessions this week?

TeeHeeHee
Aye, Rabbie.
Ye'll find me in the corner in the Pig's Baur tongue.gif
Rab-oldname
Click to view attachment
Rabbie
Poor sowel, too much créme de meths?
TeeHeeHee
Och, that's no funny. I've got a cataract on my left eye too. sad.gif
Rabbie
Wee update from the Astronomer Royal.

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever, according to Britain's leading astronomer.

Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society and Astronomer Royal, said
"Such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity. It would change our view of ourselves and our place in the cosmos."

His comments come as scientists gather in London for an international conference to discuss the prospect of discovering extra-terrestrial life. Scientists have been scanning the skies for radio broadcasts from intelligent life for 50 years, and so far they have only heard static.

Lord Rees went on to add.

But the chances of discovering life now were better than ever.

Technology has advanced so that for the very first time we can actually have the realistic hope of detecting planets no bigger than the earth orbiting other stars. (We'll be able to learn) whether they have continents and oceans, learning what type of atmosphere they have.

Although it is a long shot to be able to learn more about any life of them, then it's tendous progress to be able to get some sort of image of another planet, rather like the earth orbiting another star.

The recent deployment of space telescopes capable of detecting earth-like planets around distant stars now make it possible to focus the search.

And finally...

Were we to find life, even the simplest life, elsewhere that would clearly be one of the great discoveries of the 21st Century. "I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can't conceive, and there could, of course, be forms of intelligence beyond human capacity, beyond as much as we are beyond a chimpanzee.

Well, I am not so sure how far "beyond" chimps some people are. Still it is only a matter of time before something pops up on the screen. Let's hope it isn't anything like too much like us lot and is a just a wee bit more environmentally friendly and disnea regard us as a "food source."

Mind ye, who in their right mind would want to come to a polluted world thats running out of resources with a booming population.

Yikes...
TeeHeeHee
Just when Obama is cutting back on NASA's funding, we get a once in a lifetime picture from that old work-horse the Hubble Telescope. Coincidently pointing in the right direction at the right time the Hubble photographed this cosmic collision between two asteroids travelling at 5 times the speed of a bullet, or two as the case may be, 90,000 000 kilometers away between Mars and Jupiter ... By comparison the sun is 150.000,000 kilometers away (in the other direction rolleyes.gif )
Courtesy of CNN (ahem)
Click to view attachment
carmella
I would consider myself to be a logical thinker (maybe others would disagree, however.) But, it has always been logical for me to believe that within our own solar system, earth may well be the only inhabited planet perhaps!

Outside of our solar system, I cannot possibly even begin to think that there is not life out there somewhere - it's just doesn't make sense to me.

I struggle at times even with the notion that in all the outer limits of space, the only planet containing life as we perceive it, is Earth.

I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong - but I just don't see any evidence of a positive nature which is beyond reproach, being discovered whilst I live.

Sad really!

TeeHeeHee
Some amazing creatures have been discovered in the depths of our oceans which was until fairly recently assumed to be hostile to life at such great depths. I think the idea was that the pressure would be too great beneath a depth of 400 meters or that where the Sun's light doesn't penetrate there could be no life. Now it is known that there are life forms which have adapted perfectly to live in the deepest regions of the ocean and other forms which manage quite well without the sun, thank you very much.
So who can say what, if indeed any, forms of life exist under the panzer ice which covers some of the moons orbiting the great gas planets in our solar system. If life could be brought pan stellar to our planet and those of our system then, for me at any rate, it stands to reason that some of the planets orbiting other favourable stars must also be capable of sustaining life of some form or other.
Of course you may already understand that it interests me deeply to read of the Gods whom the Bible explains to us descended from and took with them three prophets (one of whom they shortly brought back) up into the heavens.
They didn't come from out of a clear blue sky but imaginably a bit further out.
Rabbie
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Feb 2010, 07:16pm) *
I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong - but I just don't see any evidence of a positive nature which is beyond reproach, being discovered whilst I live.

Well speaking as outsider, you Earthlings are strange species.

Carmella, I feel that it is a certainty there are other lifeforms, the distances are vast, the speed of light is a natural speed limit. which would hamper any attempts at travelling these distances in a normal lifetime, ignoring time dilation. The simplest explaination tends to be the best!

Electomagnetic signals from other civilisations would be weak as to be barely detectable. The Human made electomag bubble is expanding since the first radio broadcast, there is natural radio emission from electrical storms, all this jumbled up with all the other natural background noise and what not going make for a lot of work for the egg heads here on earth and the wee green men, dependent on thier level of technology.

I would not be so quick so say that life will not be detected in your lifetime, perhaps we are on the cusp of amazing new discoverys that will change the way we think forever. There is almost certainly life, but it might be just as we know it. Just look how wonderfully diverse life is on these wee lump of rock. We know less about what is lurking in our ocean than we do the back side of the moon.

Also, ponder just how fast technology has advanced in the last 50 years, whats the next 10 going to bring!

Keeping the faith here and keep looking out for "those little green men!" an a don't mean them bunch o' mud splashers frea Parkhied.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Feb 2010, 08:16pm) *
Outside of our solar system, I cannot possibly even begin to think that there is not life out there

I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong .

Carmella, many moons ago He Who Dance With Cats speak on great GG Boards and tell of Red Sister, She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men.
She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men come from Hopi Tribe.
Hopi no speak with fork tongue like paleface brother.
She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men, live in land far away, many days on Iron Horse.
This land of big chief Sitting Bilbo.
Me ask big chief Sitting Bilbo send smoke signal, pow wow with She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men.
Smoke heap big piece in pipe unsure.gif ...... smoke heap big peace pipe wub.gif
(He Who Dance With Cats speak with forked tongue)
Rab-oldname
Reading this thread have decided to make a confession. I know you are not going to believe me when I tell you that I am really a visitor from the planet Tishllub which is one of the major planets of our sun named Navog located 27 light years from Earth in the spiral galaxy of Kitrap. Whatever. I must tell you that I observed you for many aeons from Tishllub before travelling to Earth some 60 of your years ago.
It is only fair to reveal my true image to you all .........
Click to view attachment
I hope you will not be too upset by my appearance which I understand may be a surprise to you as you are accustomed to the earthling image I have taken on and displayed here in the past.
Yes, there is life 'out there' and I am the living proof. There are many other planets in many galaxies, such as Slabrog, Notlac, Xorbi and Kollop . These are the homes of creatures that you would not recognise as 'human' in earthling terms, but diversely strange-looking to you.Their habits and lifestyle would be beyond your comprehension. I have become familiar with your earthling traits and have passed as one of you for many of your years now and no-one has ever seen my true self till now. Be grateful earthlings that you have had a Tishlluber like me within your community here on Earth but be aware that I can no longer survive your atmosphere and must return to my home and family very soon. Here is my son who is now about 450 of your years old now
Click to view attachment I miss him so much.
To conclude. Yes, we are out there and when I return home and report, be assured we will be staying 'out there'
Click to view attachment

Your friend Bar.
Alex MacPhee
QUOTE (Rab @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:33pm) *
I hope you will not be too upset by my appearance

Big improvement, to tell the truth.
Rabbie
Ahhh so yer that wee guy that pretends to be an Azgard on Stargate, ye've been rummbit, ya wee bugger.

Now where did a pit ma pest control plasma plasma blaster, ach Zapp Brannigan must have it.
carmella
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:39pm) *
Ahhh so yer that wee guy that pretends to be an Azgard on Stargate, ye've been rummbit, ya wee bugger.

Now where did a pit ma pest control plasma plasma blaster, ach Zapp Brannigan must have it.

Oh don't tell me you are a big Dr. Who fan tae laugh.gif

You've been rumbled!!
Rabbie
QUOTE (carmella @ 25th Feb 2010, 12:21am) *
Oh don't tell me you are a big Dr. Who fan tae laugh.gif

You've been rumbled!!

Who?... <ducks ahint the sofa> Time he had a sex change!
Rabbie
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:38pm) *
Big improvement, to tell the truth.

Aye, ye can pit yer mask back oan noo.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 25th Feb 2010, 12:31am) *
Aye, ye can pit yer mask back oan noo.

You mean death-mask! Those who offend me will regret.
auchenshuggle
your appearance does not upset me rab, it must be you way of easing your kind on us mere earthlings. as many of us look like that on a sunday morning anyway, and then revert back to our "EARTHLY LOOK", is that just to not frighten us so much? sad.gif
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (auchenshuggle @ 25th Feb 2010, 09:20pm) *
your appearance does not upset me rab, it must be you way of easing your kind on us mere earthlings. as many of us look like that on a sunday morning anyway, and then revert back to our "EARTHLY LOOK", is that just to not frighten us so much? sad.gif

I note what you say Fat One - you will be spared.
baR.
TeeHeeHee
Actually baR, it surprises me that the other aliens on the GG boards are shyin' away from this topic. tongue.gif cool.gif
carmella
Maybe it's too 'out there' for the others. laugh.gif
Tommy Kennedy
I don't know about aliens but I was worried that the 'Omen' had come true:

The Devil getting his son 'Bush' into the White House to cause mayhem in the world!
enrique
I have read through the posted replies to Rabs topic and as well as having a laugh as usual , i also am glad to see the amount of our friends who seem to know where they are going after death , with the usual scoff at religion as if like me we are right and the religious nuts are wrong.
i myself lost my faith along time ago , but i have to put forward how good religion was for me in my early years , coming from afamily of 11 sons and 3 sisters , we had the bad luck of losing our father at a very early age and so my mother very cleverly brought us all up through the church , ie, church twice a day on Sunday , memebers of Lifeboys , BB etc, now this for me taught me right from wrong and that you respect all others, none of us were ever in bother and all had a good upbringing i believe because of the church.
i noticed the point Alex made about the congregations fading , is this maybe also a pointer in why our youngsters of to-day dont seem to have any morals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.