QUOTE (carmella @ 25th Nov 2009, 08:42am)
When this happened last Wednesday my satellite dish came down, and it's still down so no satellite TV. Have reported it, but that's another story. Now, looks as if the dish may be re-sighted somewhere else. Problem is when I looked at it yesterday, I think it's broken - so won't know what happens now, guy coming on Friday.
Here is a thing to try before the satellite man comes - it assumes that your cables are still attached. This would be only a temporary fix. On your TV it might currently say 'Searching for listings'.
You will need the following:-
- a selection of old bricks
- old coathanger or knitting needle (any bendable gauge)
- a pencil and paper
1. Switch off completely the Satellite box at the plug.
2. Go outside and stand with your dish on the ground right in front of you. Try to ensure you have a clear line of sight in front of you.
3. Now try to imagine the orientation of the A713 road out of Ayr.
4. Place two hands on the dish and turn in the direction of where you think the A713 road runs.
5. Prop up the dish with the bricks pro tem. If you have a wee spirit level try to get the arm which holds the LNB (bit in the middle) true/straight. Use bricks to temporary fix.
6. Go back in the house. Cut your coathanger (or knitting needle) and bend is until you have a 90 deg right angle. Once happy it is square trace this on to a bit of paper. You should have a big 'L' shape. On the paper go midway and make a mark (45) half this again so that you have 22.5 mark the paper. Bend the vertical part of the coathanger or knitting needle to make angle.
7. Go back outside and tilt your dish to look skywards. Compare with the angle of your bent wire. Look at your neighbour's dish, if any, and the direction they go. Adjust to suit.
8. When you are happy with the position fix it with more bricks so it will not move easily.
9. Go back in the house. Switch the satellite box on. Have a wee quiet pray while it is 'searching for listings'. If it does not work get someone to go outside and fiddle with it.
If the above does not work then just wait for the guy to come and do it properly!