Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Art/ Paintings
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Cash-Ma-Giro
Anyone like paintings smile.gif I love art, here's one I like
by Georges Croegaert 1848 - 1923
Notice the chib in her hand in case the bold boy tries any funny business.
Click to view attachment
Jupiter
I enjoy looking at art as well.Impressionism is what I really like.I have a Toulouse-Lautrec painting,In the Moulin Rouge as a desktop.
If you look carefully at the painting you posted you will see that the lady wouldnt do much damage with the weapon which is in fact her fan in her hand.
ceader bhoy
wit aboot this wan then see will chib anyone that gonna mug her of her shoping bag
glasgow lass
QUOTE (Cash-Ma-Giro @ 7th Nov 2009, 01:36am) *
Anyone like paintings smile.gif I love art, here's one I like
by Georges Croegaert 1848 - 1923
Notice the chib in her hand in case the bold boy tries any funny business.

A right wee chib wumin
TeeHeeHee
Pity the picture is so small, bhoy.
One man's art, Cash, is another man's ... ? Didn't much like your Croegaert but I like the idea of a topic on what's one's favourite work of art. Toyed with the idea myself ... Leonardo would have been my opening shot.
Well done cash. Good topic to open.
murn
My art preference has changed many times over the years. One style I have never taken to is abstract. Still love all the old masters but my favorite artist at the moment is still Modigliani.

TeeHeeHee
That I like, Murn.
Cash-Ma-Giro

I like portraits for the subject, and for quality of the artist's profession this is the one that started it all for me.

Princess Albert de Broglie 1814
by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres 1780 –1867
Click to view attachment
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 7th Nov 2009, 01:01am) *
If you look carefully at the painting you posted you will see that the lady wouldnt do much damage with the weapon which is in fact her fan in her hand.

That was a joke Jupiter laugh.gif

TeeHeeHee
This is what separates the men from the boys, if you will, Cash ... I'm reffering to your 2nd selection and not to Jupiter's observation.
When you look closely at the lighting and shading; in the blue dress and on the chair in particular, that's impossible to achieve ... for the rest of us mortals, with oil or acrylic paint.
I took a photo of a chrome coffee pot, outside on the terrace table, and always think that if I could paint that object; picture perfect, ... but we can all dream, eh?
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 7th Nov 2009, 03:23pm) *
This is what separates the men from the boys, if you will, Cash ... I'm reffering to your 2nd selection and not to Jupiter's observation.
When you look closely at the lighting and shading; in the blue dress and on the chair in particular, that's impossible to achieve ... for the rest of us mortals, with oil or acrylic paint.
I took a photo of a chrome coffee pot, outside on the terrace table, and always think that if I could paint that object; picture perfect, ... but we can all dream, eh?

You're so correct THH.

Incidentally, I wasn't too sure how this subject would fair in GG, so I'm pleased its been accepted.

I'm looking forward to viewing other members art preferences. It's an interesting subject and we won't all like each others tastes, but so what, that's what lifes all about, different views and different tastes.
smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
I am of the firm belief that this topic will be a much loved and long lasting one.
( even if it comes doon tae jist U 'n me biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif )
bilbo.s
M
bilbo.s
My favourites are the impressionists and post-impressionists but I have varied tastes in art as in music. We need more posts on the arts- there are an awful lot of savage breasts here that need soothing. wink.gif
Jupiter
Im puzzled.
RonD
Here's one from the Glasgow Boys. James Crawhall.The white Drake
murn
here is a another great one that am sure yee all know, bit dae you know what the painting within the painting is?
rossmckenzie
A know its Whistlers old mum but no idea what is on the wall Murn,would be keen to find out though!
TeeHeeHee
I've been looking at it magnified and wondered if it was a view of a Scottish town from the land.
but I'd like to know what it really is.
rossmckenzie
Click to view attachmentI think this is a brill topic..what hangs on your walls says so much about you.....I knicked this from my mum and dads kitchen...the picture does not do justice to the colour...its German, Paul Klee and I go looking for his work now.
murn
it is Whistler’s Black Lion Wharf

rossmckenzie
Ron I really like the Glasgow Boys picture...read a bit about them but other than that am ignorant.....I like that picture though.
rossmckenzie
Cheers Murn................
Cash-Ma-Giro
Interesting selection and all varied, that's the stuff.
It's enjoyable viewing all your varying tastes in art.

Ach I was just going to upload a painting but the upload facility in the post aint showing.
Tsk, My PC's playing up, I think it's something to do with java.

I'll try tomorrow.

Cheers.
cash.
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 7th Nov 2009, 09:00pm) *
Im puzzled.

What's wrong Jupiter, what's puzzling you. smile.gif

cash.
Jupiter
Hi. Nothings wrong.I was wondering about the meaning of the comment about the men and boys.The comment about the ladies fan was meant to be tongue in cheek if by chance thats what it was referring to.
Cheers.
tamhickey
I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, but I love the works of Salvador Dali. There was a guy who really honed his skills to perfection.
Melody
I could spend all day staring at this work it's the famous " Auld Willie" by the genius of James Guthrie.
Melody
I also love Avril Paton's work " Rainmates"
Melody
I love "The White Drake" Ron. smile.gif It's fab.
Lennox
QUOTE (Melody @ 9th Nov 2009, 11:50am) *
I could spend all day staring at this work it's the famous " Auld Willie" by the genius of James Guthrie.

Me also Melody,but I have not seen it in a while looking at him the noo it looks just like how I remember my wee granda ( that's my great granda) and for some reason I find myself greetin.

Never saw the Rainmates before but I love it can I get a copy of that any place smile.gif
Melody
Aw ah'm sorry ah made ye greet Lennox but ah know what you mean. smile.gif Avril Paton has her website I'm sure you'd be able to buy prints on line. She's the artists who does the Glasgow tenements ones. smile.gif
Lennox
No worries, Melody it is funny tho what the trigger is sometimes eh, biggrin.gif The painting is brilliant. Thanks for the link to the other artist.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 9th Nov 2009, 05:39am) *
I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, but I love the works of Salvador Dali. There was a guy who really honed his skills to perfection.

I spent ages downloading a whole heap of Dali on Saturday and when I opened the file ... I got two pictures ! Bliddy annoying that is. tongue.gif wacko.gif
bilbo.s
Love the melting watch myself. Also "Christ of Saint John of the Cross" now restored to the Art Gallery. Not for religious reasons obvously - he was a superb draughtsman and surrealist.
ashfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Nov 2009, 01:34pm) *
I spent ages downloading a whole heap of Dali on Saturday and when I opened the file ... I got two pictures ! Bliddy annoying that is.

That must have been a bit surreal laugh.gif
Chookie
What a terrific thread My thanks to Cash-Ma-Giro for starting it up. It's wonderful to see everybody's favourites....always a chance to see new stuff and learn.

Cash wid ye stoap speaking tae me if Ah tellt ye Ah feasted my eyes on your Princess just last week at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC? I've seen her before and still, I'm dazzled by Ingres' talent for fabrics. You just want to reach out and touch that impossibly beautiful blue dress.

I've no idea why, but this painting by Toulouse Lautrec speaks to me.. although Lautrec is not amongst my ab-fave painters. I love Caravaggio and at the opposite end of the spectrum...Renoir. Go figure. Being asked to name your all-time favourite is liking asking a Maw tae choose her fave wean....no' possible.
*TeeHeeHee*
I've just the evening with Mary watching a download of "This Is It" with Russian sub-titles; Mary went to the cinema on Saturday to see it, She'll get the DVD when it comes out.

Now I'm logged on and the first thing I look at is a Toulouse Lautrec painting of a Jacko look-alike biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
La belle Ferroniere by the man himself, Leonardo da Vinci.
Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Chookie @ 9th Nov 2009, 08:31pm) *
Cash wid ye stoap speaking tae me if Ah tellt ye Ah feasted my eyes on your Princess just last week at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC? I've seen her before and still, I'm dazzled by Ingres' talent for fabrics. You just want to reach out and touch that impossibly beautiful blue dress.

Aye a wid, so A' umnae goantae. biggrin.gif

Fantastic Chookie, it's a beautiful painting isn't it.
I can only visualize what the experience would be like when viewing the real thing....breathtaking no doubt. Good for you.
RonD
QUOTE (rossmckenzie @ 8th Nov 2009, 04:35am) *
Ron I really like the Glasgow Boys picture...read a bit about them but other than that am ignorant.....I like that picture though.

Glad you liked it Ross, they were contemporaries of Charles Rennie MacIntosh, but I am a mere neophyte concerning them. I loved touring the school of Art when I was in Galsgow last year.
I'm glad this topic made dig up some material on them. I also wna t to look up the Glasgow girls.
RonD
QUOTE (Melody @ 9th Nov 2009, 11:54am) *
I love "The White Drake" Ron. smile.gif It's fab.

Says quit e a bit doesn't it Melody?
RonD
QUOTE (Lennox @ 9th Nov 2009, 12:04pm) *
Me also Melody,but I have not seen it in a while looking at him the noo it looks just like how I remember my wee granda ( that's my great granda) and for some reason I find myself greetin.

Never saw the Rainmates before but I love it can I get a copy of that any place smile.gif

Nvever mind Lennox, it must be a Scottish moon ou there, as I said on another thread , I found my self bubbling on hearing Flowers of the Field on the bagpipes when I had the radio on the other day.
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Nov 2009, 01:34am) *
Hi. Nothings wrong.I was wondering about the meaning of the comment about the men and boys.The comment about the ladies fan was meant to be tongue in cheek if by chance thats what it was referring to.
Cheers.

TeeHeeHee was refering to the "gifted talented artists" >> they being the men; and the boys was refering to those who have a gift of painting but nowhere near the quality of the master painter's paintings.

Your "tongue in cheek" was indeed what I was refering to in my reply.

Now go and enjoy the masters. biggrin.gif
Chookie
Veermeer's "Girl with the Pearl Earring".....magic.
RonD
I have a print of the attached, which I bought from Forth Art at one of our local highland games. This pic doesn't do it justice, as it is a 30" x 42" in dimensions. On the pic you can see the horses' breath. I always wanted a picture of a farmer ploughing with Clydesdales. It takes me back when I was very young, there were farmer's parks across the road and I used to see those lovely gentle giants at tattie howkin' time, and' my older siblings made some pocket money helping to gather the crop. Have a look at: http://www.military-art.com/mall/more.php?ProdID=8952
RonD
Not only is she is a stunner but Mrs. RonD is talented tae (noo wull stoap breathin' doon my neck, Hen) Here is a mosiac she did a few years ago.
RonD
We like to attend the local art shows and support local artists. We don't always adhere to regular media here are samples of somethings caught our eye.
andypisces
Click here: ARCHIE MCINTOSH 59

Maryhill born archie mcintosh has some beautiful scottish scenes......Andy
RonD
The click isnae workin' furr me Andy!
murn
loved both of Chookie's choices

here is another beauty

Waterhouse the lady Clare
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.