Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Political Correctness Craziness Must Stop!
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Cash-Ma-Giro
This Craziness MUST Stop.

Wifey came home and told me about this. We don't buy the Daily Record so I went on-line to have a read.

Quote from today's Daily Record (perhaps you read it yourself)....
Anger as prison thugs are awarded 2100 compensation - for saying guards hurt their feelings.

THREE vicious thugs who whined that prison guards hurt their feelings by putting them in solitary confinement are to be paid 2100 compensation each from the taxpayer.

UNBELIEVABLE

For the first time in my life I wish there was an uprising, an uprising against this PC lunacy.

It really has to stop, hasn't it?
Rab-oldname
'He told the Record: "I never gave up because I didn't want them to get away with what they did to me. They breached my human rights.'

What about his human responsibilities?
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Rab @ 2nd Oct 2009, 10:04pm) *
'He told the Record: "I never gave up because I didn't want them to get away with what they did to me. They breached my human rights.'

What about his human responsibilities?

Spot on Rab. sad.gif
carmella
You know my blood boils every time I hear this sort of thing.

Now in this case we are talking about prisoners.

They didn't stop to think about the human rights of their victims, did they?
And because we are talking about prisoners do we abdicate all responsibility and allow Her Majesty's Prison Service to operate without the checks and balances imposed by the rule of law?

It seems to me that could lead to the situation we saw in Stalin's Gulags.
Heather
Carmella, I agree with what you said. My husband and I said the same when we heard it on the news on Thursday night.

It would seem that criminals have more rights than their victims.

Once again the Government say they are bringing in Legislation to limit these claims to one year after the prisoners have been in isolation.
It would be better if the Government discarded this Human Rights Law, because the only one's who seem to profit from it are criminals and their Lawyers.

It was reported in the Record today that a serial burglar accused a Judge of giving him too long a sentence. The burglar was given 5 years and the Judge said: " Because you may harbour a grievance I'm prepared to reduce the sentence to 4 1/2 years". wub.gif
Catherine
No they didnae Carmella.....which is why they're in the Jail is it no biggrin.gif

Hate to be the one to say it in this instance because I really agree with everyone here...BUT..
Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't see this as anything to do with PC, it's a Human Rights issue the way I see it, and if we're jailing those who violate this then those Guards should have known better.

Folks need to start practising what they're preaching, especially those in Authority.

Just my opinion biggrin.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Catherine @ 3rd Oct 2009, 09:57pm) *
I don't see this as anything to do with PC, it's a Human Rights issue the way I see it,

Good thing to point out Catherine, so let me clarify things as I see it.

From my point of view, both PC and HR's brigade sit in the same box, they tick each others boxes. They exasperate the majority of today's society with their negative announcements. They are not, as they believe themselves to be doing, pronouncing positive statements that will effect society for the better.

Both brigades are a namby-pamby, negative effect, section of society. If it was within both their remit, each would have pressed, for example, the requirement to kill off the loving and innocent good old Gollywog doll that all children of my generation, along with the few of today's younger generation who managed to get a hold of one, enjoyed.
Not one child in their innocence in either generation (old or new) thought anything bad or negative regarding the Gollywog doll (that I'm using as an example) until it was brought to their attention.

Look in any playground of a mixed race school today and each child will be seen to play happily with each other not seeing any difference between either skin colour.....until it is brought to their attention.

Each "Brigade" shattered the innocence of today's generation. and brought about a negativity between skin colours.

I've never read, heard or spoken to anyone who accept both brigade's philosophy as being one of good on this earth. We did without them and enjoyed. We were innocent, and skin colour was exactly that, skin deep. And that was all it was.

Now that was not, repeat not, an attack against you Catherine. smile.gif

Here endeth the first lesson. biggrin.gif

Shalom.

Cash.
Heather
I don't see how ' two wrongs don't make a right' applies in this instance. In fact it's a silly thing to say.

If a person commits a crime and gets sent to Prison, then that is right.
If while they are in Prison they cause further trouble and attack Prison Wardens then get put into Solitary Confinement, then that is also right.

Do you think they should be given 100 lines instead: I must learn to behave myself.
That would teach them a lesson, wouldn't it. Aye right.
But then of course they could seek compensation for writers cramp.
Catherine
Thanks Cash...and thank you for highlighting yer no cuttin me aff laugh.gif

I agree with many of your points..in fact them all...up to a point.

The point changes for me per say when we are still 'golliwogin' the issue..when the Gollowog issue has become derogatory in todays world.
The Grandparents of Black descent did not have a voice, their Grandchildren sure do, and they speak for the Grandparents along with themselves when they take offence.

Fair enough.

Was the Golliwog meant as offensive? No..I don't think so...but now that it's pointed out how much it offends it's no big deal for me to say Hey Sorry..no offence meant..remove it and move on having learned a bit more sensitivity towards another Human Being.
There is no big deal here.....I never even hud wan!

Heather I only try to join in on Discussions with my own perception of how I see it.
No need to say 'it's silly'...I think that's rude...but having said that I get it that you're just answering the Reply in the moment so to speak.
No offence meant.

Just my opinion. biggrin.gif
Catherine
Cripes sorree...jist wan of those double Postings....nae point in ye readin ma tripe twice laugh.gif laugh.gif
penny dainty
commit the crime , do the time and dont expect it gift wrapped.What do these people want eh?
I wonder if this Board could be described as politically correct as its first rule is:

Do not post messages which are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable.

Would we all be allowed to post our favourite racist jokes on this board, for example?
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Oct 2009, 11:55am) *
I wonder if this Board could be described as politically correct as its first rule is:
Would we all be allowed to post our favourite racist jokes on this board, for example?

Do you have any favourite racist jokes?

I would have thought a lot more of you if you had come right out and stated; This Board is a "Politically Correct" Board.

You know very well why GGDB have to cover themselves by issuing rules, particularly the one you allude to in your statement.

Cash.

Jim D
QUOTE (Cash-Ma-Giro @ 2nd Oct 2009, 07:42pm) *
This Craziness MUST Stop.

Wifey came home and told me about this. We don't buy the Daily Record so I went on-line to have a read.

Quote from today's Daily Record (perhaps you read it yourself)....
Anger as prison thugs are awarded 2100 compensation - for saying guards hurt their feelings.

THREE vicious thugs who whined that prison guards hurt their feelings by putting them in solitary confinement are to be paid 2100 compensation each from the taxpayer.

UNBELIEVABLE

For the first time in my life I wish there was an uprising, an uprising against this PC lunacy.

It really has to stop, hasn't it?

The compensation has not been paid because the prison service believe they are in the wrong. It was paid out because it is cheaper to pay 2100 than spend 10 times that fighting the case through the courts. The SPS would require to defend the action and pay their costs. On the other hand, the prisoner can apply for Legal Aid and his costs would be met by the Legal Aid Board. It was published recently that the Legal aid bill in Scotland for 2008 was 150,000,000! a saving of 5,000,000 from 2007!
Jim D
QUOTE (Heather @ 3rd Oct 2009, 09:47pm) *
It was reported in the Record today that a serial burglar accused a Judge of giving him too long a sentence. The burglar was given 5 years and the Judge said: " Because you may harbour a grievance I'm prepared to reduce the sentence to 4 1/2 years". wub.gif

It is now law that any person who pleads guilty prior to his / her trial must be given a discount on the sentence that would have been given had they taken it to a trial and been found guilty. This includes being given a discount for pleading on the day of the trial and saving the witnesses the ordeal of giving evidence and using up even more court time. It's a sliding scale. A bit like the money you pay for cancelling a holiday. The earlier you cancel, the more money you get back. Well with them - the earlier you plead guilty, the bigger the discount. The discount can be as much as 25-30%.
CMG,

Do you have any favourite racist jokes?

I neither tell racist jokes nor allow them to be told in my presence. I will gladly be described as politically correct because of that.
petalpeeps
Many people have their feelings hurt on a daily basis , who do we sue? The saying that 'crime doesn't pay' seems to need updating to 'crime does pay' . Unfortunately that is the society we are living in nowadays , big changes needed , long overdue.
Rabbie
Dinnea get me started on the PC Brigade.

I wid stick them all in portacabin loos, place them in the middle of a windswept, barren airfield and use them for flour bombing target practice, and that goes fur shiney ersed cooncil pen pushers that are a waste of mah cooncil tax.

Right, thats me pit the wurld tae rights again.

Honestly, I am a pasifist and agree with everything that new labour does and I think that Good Auld Gordy is a spiffingly good chasp.

Click to view attachment
klingon
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 5th Oct 2009, 03:15pm) *
Dinnea get me started on the PC Brigade.

I wid stick them all in portacabin loos, place them in the middle of a windswept, barren airfield and use them for flour bombing target practice, and that goes fur shiney ersed cooncil pen pushers that are a waste of mah cooncil tax.

Right, thats me pit the wurld tae rights again.

Honestly, I am a pasifist and agree with everything that new labour does and I think that Good Auld Gordy is a spiffingly good chasp.

Thats a waste of flour Rabbie!-use shite-it's free! and theres tons of it!
27stowst
Don't get me started or ah'll sue the lot o' yez fer annoying me oan ma ain puta in ma ain living room!!! tongue.gif Oh and ah agree wi Klingon aboot the shite! (Am ah allowed tae use that word?) unsure.gif
Heather
NAW laugh.gif
Rabbie
Wid that no be complete waste of perfectly good organic fertlizer.

=D
TeeHeeHee
If you don't get ... "Rabbie use ***un-allowed word*** it's free" ...
Then it must be OK. tongue.gif
I guess Shi-ite is ok too biggrin.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
Now it's the 'Elf and Safety brigade's turn go bananas (again)

After 10 years as a Lollipop man, Mr John Hunter, a former council roads maintenance inspector says "After 40 years working for the council, I've resigned from my job as a Lollipop man in Edinburgh.

He is loved by parents and children alike according to reports, and as the children form a queue on the pavement he hands out sweets and gives them a high five. Apparently one parent complained that Mr Hunter had given a pupil with a nut allergy a nutty chocolate by mistake. That complaint is reasonable given the circumstances of course. But says Mr Hunter, "It's the first complaint I've had in working with the council for 40 years, but now I'm suddenly a danger to children for giving them sweets and a high five."

Sweets with nuts I can understand, but a high five, approved by the parents, a danger to children on the pavement rolleyes.gif

PC, HR, H&S were reasonable and fair minded organizations with good intention to begin with, but any respect they once had is diminishing by the day.
27stowst
Honestly, could she no' jist huv said "Look Mr Hunter, ah know ye didnae know but there are some weans that are allergic tae nuts and ma son is wan o' them. Could ye be a bit merr cerrful in future? Ta" An' then if he ignored her request that wid be the time tae report him!! (Ah'm assuming the wean wiz ok??)
27stowst
Sorry, just realised it would be a different eccent for an Embru wumman!! tongue.gif
Heather
I don't know anyone who has any respect for the PC Brigade.

This Country has survived for centuries without them.

Who are they anyway and what good have they ever done ??? wacko.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (27stowst @ 7th Oct 2009, 11:35pm) *
Sorry, just realised it would be a different eccent for an Embru wumman!!

away ye go. laugh.gif laugh.gif
TeeHeeHee
Since politicians rarely get it right there can be no such thing as Politically Correct; or correctness.

A more meaningful term should be suggested.
On that note I can now place my vote.
Rabbie
Only wimen go intae Labour, and ah heard that hurts..

So bugger that option.

Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (27stowst @ 7th Oct 2009, 11:32pm) *
Honestly, could she no' jist huv said "Look Mr Hunter, ah know ye didnae know but there are some weans that are allergic tae nuts and ma son is wan o' them. Could ye be a bit merr cerrful in future? Ta" An' then if he ignored her request that wid be the time tae report him!! (Ah'm assuming the wean wiz ok??)

Perfect sense stowst, why could she not just have quietly said that to the poor guy.

QUOTE (27stowst @ 7th Oct 2009, 11:35pm) *
Sorry, just realised it would be a different eccent for an Embru wumman!!

End a Corstorphine one at thet dear girl.

QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Oct 2009, 12:01am) *
I don't know anyone who has any respect for the PC Brigade.
This Country has survived for centuries without them.
Who are they anyway and what good have they ever done ???

Exactly Heather, just who are these people? they never reveal themselves. Perhaps it would simply not be PC to reveal themselves, what.

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Oct 2009, 12:13am) *
A more meaningful term should be suggested.
On that note I can now place my vote.

Can always rely on you TeeHeeHee to come up with the perfect answer. biggrin.gif
27stowst
laugh.gif laugh.gif @ Rabbie.
Catherine
Has anyone ever seen a Child with a Nut Reaction react when they're mistakenly given one?
I have....it is HORRENDOUS for the Child, their Eyes Bulge and roll back, their tongue swells and they gasp for breath.
Nuts can KILL Children who are allergic to them....Adults also.

Our boys School is a Nut Free Zone......there are posters outside those Classrooms that have Children with Deadly Reactions to Nuts inside them.
With a deadly reaction it means even the oil from the Peanut that is not even visible can kill them if touched.

Sorry Stowst, perhaps the Mum was a wee bit too horrified and scared with what COULD have happened to quietly on the side say to the Lollipop guy gaunni no dae that pal!
The Woman wis freaked...her Child could have died!

Lollipop mans a big boy, he should be acting like one and saying cripes never even gave that a thought, awfy sorry an ah'll make sure it's Nut Free sweets fae noo on pet.
I'm sure the Mans a good man and loves the kids...but he's lucky the wean never ate the sweet or it wouldnae be jist the huff he's in........he could have the guilt of an accidental death on his hands.

This was an accident, well meaning but everybody if they don't know SHOULD know that Nut Reactions are prevalent in todays World.

Och naw....on second thoughts, kin we no jist blame it on the PC Brigade....aye...moan...easy targets.

What exactly has anything Politically Correct got to do with this ?

Just my opinion.
TeeHeeHee
I've never reacted to nuts, Catherine; not the ones you're on about here, but I've always hated that strange feeling at the back of my throat when I've eaten peanuts. especially and maybe too many cashews or whatever.
Was my immune system sending me overload signals?
Catherine
Maybe THH......I don't really know the why's or what's or hows about how Today's Society have picked up this Allergy.
Someone once explained it in Laymens Terms to me that it is because it is so widely used in so many Products that eventually there becomes a reaction to it.

The bottom line is it is DEADLY to many.

I feel for this Man who has proudly done a great job over the years, but at the same time his huffy reaction to criticism is a bit ridiculous, ESPECIALLY since it relates to his great love with the kids.
If I knew him I'd say it's okay, nobody is disputing the fact that you are GREAT for these kids....but you have to be careful.
Ce la vie.......If we aw jumped on the huff wagon the first criticism we had on a job , especailly after forty years, then we're talking Pride comes before the fall.

This isnae about the Lollipop man, and he's auld enough that he should get it........it's about a narrow escape.
He should be glad of the wake up call.

As for yourself THH, I know nothing about it, but Id be careful.
Maybe it's like Wasp Stings..the more you have the deadlier it can become?
TeeHeeHee
Thanks Catherine.
I'm with you on the stings.
They also don't effect me too much but I know what they can do to others.
You're right about the Lollypop man though. No matter how good he is, or how experienced, he didn't know that and should have reckoned that that was a close call when it was pointed out to him instead of going off about it.
To my mind he was being more than just huffy.
Catherine
Thanks THH.....Hate tae tell ye and hope it disnae offend ye, {though in reading your Posts somehow I don't think it will} but ye'v jist agreed wae someone who doesn't always agree with PC Parliamo, but tries to understand the bigger picture it tries to represent and is more for than against laugh.gif

I have respect for the PC Brigade Heather, I don't always agree with them.........but I admire their 'try' of accomodating across the board ideals.
Hopefully this doesn't come as a shock to yourself and others, if it does then I have to step up to the plate a bit more.

There's room for change in us all, so the saying goes. biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Catherine, I can be wound-up ... go on, try me, tongue.gif ... but my days of being offended are long long gone since I learned that one either takes offence or doesn't ... so I don't.
By the way , it was Mary taught me that. Int she clever?
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Catherine @ 8th Oct 2009, 03:30am) *
<cut>but at the same time his huffy reaction to criticism is a bit ridiculous, <cut>

I took a different take on it Catherine. He acknowledged he made a mistake with the nutty bar, and hopefully he recognized it was a very close call.

I must own up and say, plonker that I am, and in my ignorance, the nut allergy reaction has never entered my head when I hand my grandchildren and their little friends sweet's. So there's a positive outcome from all of this by highlighting "nut allergy awareness", and hopefully raises awareness to others like me.

It was the high five that threw him. The parents accepted the high five was a sign of friendship between him and the children. It the was the high five reaction from the council he couldn't understand.

Perhaps it was the final straw for him as far as the 'Elf and Safety" are concerned.

Latest I heard is that local politicians are asking the council to re-think its decision, and Councillor Ricky Henderson, Labour's education spokesman said "I think they have taken it a bit too far"

Don't think this might be a criticism against you, I promise you it isn't.

Shalom smile.gif
It was the high five that threw him.

Where does it say that?
Heather
I think it went a bit too far with the Lollipop man and the Council over re-acted with the high fives.

This tells us about nut allergy.

Nut allergy can produce:

A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
Asthma symptoms
Vomiting
Cramping tummy pains
Diarrhoea
Faintness and unconsciousness
Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarely extreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Oct 2009, 11:03pm) *
I think it went a bit too far with the Lollipop man and the Council over re-acted with the high fives.

This tells us about nut allergy.

Nut allergy can produce:

A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
Asthma symptoms
Vomiting
Cramping tummy pains
Diarrhoea
Faintness and unconsciousness
Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarely extreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Thanks Heather, your post is an excellent piece of ecucation for me.
Jim D
I was involved with my sons school for many years, including being chairman of the school board (school committee). If a school had any children who had a peanut allergy the staff would declare the school a "nut free zone". That involved teachers, parents, kitchen staff - the works! The staff would be trained in administering the "epi-pen" in the event that the child went into anaphylactic shock. The pens were kept separately in a central place for easy access. Kids were not allowed to bring sweets into school, just incase they contained traces of nuts. I would have expected the lollipop man to have been made fully aware.
If a child goes into anaphylactic shock they deteriorate very quickly. So I can understand the parent but I can also sympathise with the lollipop man, who has not been made aware of the dangers of giving the kids sweets.
Catherine
Hi guys,

Over here, kids have their Epi pens in the class, and also spare Epi Pens in the Office.
Jim it is rampant for want of a better word in the schools here, most Schools are Nut Free Zones.

To be quite honest if it is a known fact in Scotland about the same {Nut Allergy} then I personally find it shocking that this Lollipop Man was not made aware of it through the nature of his job alone far less his being off the School grounds.
That said, the more it is spoken of the more the info gets out there.
That's the Positive and it's great.

Cash I agree....the High five seems to be an add on, but Id like to think it was more the sweetie exchange than anything and how lucky was THAT brigade that pays the Lollipop man, they're jist trying to flannel with more add ons and hope to hide the fact they screwed up with a MAJOR....and don't have a bigger negligence issue on their hands.
Must be Friday your side...Shalom Shabbat biggrin.gif
murn
For ten years children have queued for his high-fives. It was only on his Birthday and Christmas that he would give them a chocolate.

As this has been happening for ten years and with what I have read, everyone in the area knows this friendly man. So I tend to think that this parent is new to the area. It does not say how old the child was but if it was me I would have ingrained it in them to just say no thank you. And then let me know so I could explain to the person about the allergy.

There was no need for the complaint, the deed was done, all that was needed was to make the lolly pop man aware of the dangers of nuts to some. I am even sure this kind old man would have went out of his way to start buying nut-free candy.

The complaint of the high fives also came from the same woman. Not only has she ruined it for the other kids she has perhaps taken away an old mans only happy moments of the day.

One mother said: "He is warm and friendly to all the children, and even remembers their birthdays and gives them cards. He also attends school concerts and so on"

"Mr Hunter has done what he does for years and the children all think he is great. It is such a shame that it takes one parent to complain to spoil the enjoyment of the children."

Sorry Stowst, perhaps the Mum was a wee bit too horrified and scared with what COULD have happened to quietly on the side say to the Lollipop guy gaunni no dae that pal!
The Woman wis freaked...her Child could have died!

Sorry Catherine, bit where did you read the woman wis freaked. From what I have read it tells you nothing of this woman I don't even think the other parents know who it is. I tend to think there is a bit more to this story than what is being told, Why on earth would she also complain about the high fives huh.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
The reports I've read murn, all say the woman complained that a child, not her child was offered a nutty bar. Niether have I read anywhere that the child involved actually did have a nut allergy, we are left to assume the child had a nut allergy.

Like yourself, I think there's more to this story. It'll be interesting if the press follow this story up.
ashfield
It looks like we have another topic that has nothing to do with it's title. CMG, I am surprised that you don't know why the "gollywogs" were removed, they were used to caricature black people and then was used as as term of abuse towards them. I read the term "PC brigade" and it reminds me of references in posts on other threads like "power-that-be", "bleeding hearts" or "do-gooders" but I have said enough about that in the past. Let's look at what PC is,

political correctness - avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

I don't see what any of that has to do with Mr Hunter, whether his treatment was fair or not. If anyone is saying that they are not PC then are they saying it is ok to make racist comments, acceptable to use discriminating language towards people with disabilities, that older people should be denied work opportunities because of their age or that it is fine if woman get paid less than men for doing the same work?? I am (what Rabbie describes as) an ex-shiney ersed cooncil employee and I have witnessed how some people have used political incorrectness as a means of exerting power over others. I still see inappropriate references being made on the boards but I don't think for a minute that the intention is to offend but rather that the authors are uninformed.
murn
Ashfield I think you will see if you look at CMGs post that in the case of Mr. Hunter he was referring to "Elf and Safety brigade"

QUOTE (Cash-Ma-Giro @ 7th Oct 2009, 08:39am) *
Now it's the 'Elf and Safety brigade's turn go bananas (again)

PC, HR, H&S were reasonable and fair minded organizations with good intention to begin with, but any respect they once had is diminishing by the day.

ashfield
QUOTE (murn @ 9th Oct 2009, 12:55pm) *
Ashfield I think you will see if you look at CMGs post that in the case of Mr. Hunter he was referring to "Elf and Safety brigade"

Doh!! Thanks Murn, I can see that the Mr Hunter issue was something different, my apologies. Having said that the prison issue is nothing to do with PC and generally I think the concept is more actively positive than negative and has changed things for the better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.