Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lindella Club
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Lost Friends & Relatives
dodds
donald nicolson of the sixties, toon boys dougie livingstone, gavin,
drew hall, the enforcer etc etc remember the lindella club
louisealan@email.com
i usde to go to lindella at that time,i remember jimmy nicolson he was in my class at arden primary he then went to sir john"s i went to shawlands. is the Gavin you mean Gavin Harrison? i went with Dunky Davidson ,Henry Holland,Twink Currie and a whole lot of others we later started going to the Locarno we were all Toon Boys. I still stay in Thornliebank and still see old friends.By grizzly I think you might mean Jimmy Gray He went about with David Aitken'
NICKY
louise I went to Shawlands my name is Donald Nicolson
email me at mickythefish2000@yahoo.co.uk James nicolson is my younger brother xxx
marina
my mother in law and my husband went to shawlands academy, my sister is also related to the above mentioned jimmy gray
JimmyTheMod
Hi All,

I have setup a GlasgoMods website, am looking for input and articles diocumenting the LINDELLA which as a 80's Mod I used to go there.

One of our members has a relative called Donnie Nordel anyone remember him.

you can contact me at adminATglasgowmods.co.uk

Thanks in advance for any help.
Skyeman
Hi All...I used to go to the Lindella with you guys in my spotty youth. Moved away from arden 1970 to the shawlands area, near my old school. I was a "mental young toon boy" then. Good and bad memories
bilbo.s
I had no idea the Lindella survived for so long. My only memory is of it being where Lulu & the Luvvers first became known- early 60´s when I worked nearby in the Central Hotel.

Never did visit it- too busy in those halcyon days having parties in the staff quarters of the hotel.
Amazing that my liver has survived to the age of 67 so far.
Skyeman
Hi ..I knew her and her brother..she did not tbad for a wee Glasgow girl..shame about her voice!! There was so much better around at the time Maggie Bell etc. anyway...stone the crows!!!
storeman
Hi all what memories i had at this Club Maureen behind desk collecting money, entrance fee , booking you in at the Entrance Betty Allan and her dancing partner cant remember his name walking on to floor toilets to left and Tea room served by her dance partners mum

Elvis treat me nice was warm up song for all dancers right get in line lmao

wearng my drain pipe trousers suede crepp shoes / blue silk shirt tie with an eagle on it to go with belt and blue drape jacket , sparkly socks also hahaha

dancing with all birds having fab time walking them to bus stop or train station night cant wait until next opening day must admit though that was back in Revival Teddy boy time in 70s though same time as Greece came out lol

so if wee Elvis from Milton or JC from Parkhouse or boys from Royston area reading this drop me a line even my first love back then Margaret Cameron from Claypotts Road Ruchaize

cheers
Stillroom
QUOTE (Skyeman @ 31st Oct 2009, 07:26pm) *
Hi ..I knew her and her brother..she did not tbad for a wee Glasgow girl..shame about her voice!! There was so much better around at the time Maggie Bell etc. anyway...stone the crows!!!

I seen Maggie Bell once, and Alex Harvey when he played at The Cave under the arches next to Jamaca Street, we used to go to the La Ronde then the'new' Phonographic in Buchanan street
for a change
we went to the lyndella the night Lulu had just come back from London when she first launched her first record, that was the one and only time
we thought we were a bit too sophisticated (at 17)!!!
weetoddy
QUOTE (storeman @ 11th Dec 2009, 11:14am) *
Hi all what memories i had at this Club Maureen behind desk collecting money, entrance fee , booking you in at the Entrance Betty Allan and her dancing partner cant remember his name walking on to floor toilets to left and Tea room served by her dance partners mum

Elvis treat me nice was warm up song for all dancers right get in line lmao

wearng my drain pipe trousers suede crepp shoes / blue silk shirt tie with an eagle on it to go with belt and blue drape jacket , sparkly socks also hahaha

dancing with all birds having fab time walking them to bus stop or train station night cant wait until next opening day must admit though that was back in Revival Teddy boy time in 70s though same time as Greece came out lol

so if wee Elvis from Milton or JC from Parkhouse or boys from Royston area reading this drop me a line even my first love back then Margaret Cameron from Claypotts Road Ruchaize

cheers

Storeman.. your name is'nt by any chance Tam? tayed in or around Wellhouse in Easterhouse?
Toddy
storeman
Sorry Toddy first name is Dave

used to live in Broadholm street parkhouse back then
David Sinclair
Hi all my name is David Sinclair and I can remember as a wee boy my Dad opening the Lindella Club at 54 Union Street, Glasgow. You went through the pend at Crawleys sports shop, turned left and up the stairs to the top floor. My young sister was Linda and my mother was named Ella and my Dad puit both their names together and called the club THe Lindella Club. This had to be in the late 1950's and initially the Lindella opened as a jazz club and the annual membership cost was six shillings per person. Later as jive became more and more popular my Das started a jiving school and he had a number of terrific jivers and he formed a number of jive teams. The most amazing jiver was a black guy, a real gentleman, George Leslie who danced with a girl called Mary, they were fantastic. What a lot of people dont know is the Lindella Jive Team performed on the Royal Command Performance and I think this was 1961. My Dad did not keep well and due to ill health reasons he did a deal with Betty and Alex Allan who ran the club successfully thereafter for a number of years. I used to work at the Lindella for extra pocket money and my job was to go round and pick up the empty 'gingy' bottles. Not much of a job but I loved it just the same as it was for my Dad, Bill Sinclair, the man who was behind the formation of a great Glasgow Club. Keep Jiving - David Sinclair
marcam7
Great memories there Davy,in the late fiftys it was our sunday night club about an hour of slow stuff followed by an hour or so of cha cha and mambo,remember the luminous lights,everything dazzling white including the dandruff woe betide you if you had a falsie as your teeth would be gleaming but it would be yellow always finished the night with a piano instrumental with words the piece was called"Till" but ithink it came from some classical piece way our oor heids.I think it was a chinese resturaunt for a good number of years. Marcam7.
wellfield
Great wee story David.
smash and grab
jeckie trotter was her partner sometimes tommy flemming, and i remember george leslie good jiver but not so good at the fitba although he looked the part
storeman
QUOTE (smash and grab @ 26th Aug 2010, 11:38am) *
jeckie trotter was her partner sometimes tommy flemming, and i remember george leslie good jiver but not so good at the fitba although he looked the part

nice one that was his name Jackie Trotter sometimes his son came to club did he come from Ruchaize back then
lesley brown
I remember the Lindella in Buchanan Street
lesley brown
lesley brown
lesley brown
I remember the Lindella in Buchanan Street back in the 70s. Used to go there sometimes 2-3 times a week. I remember Betty Allen well. Also Jackie Trotter. Was a great wee club. People came from all over. I still remember some of the guys who all hung about. Elvie. Christine. Logie. Irene. John and myself. At that time we were all rougly about 14-15 I think. We used to get a carryoot every weekend from the licence grocers next door to the yellow bird chippie. As we were too young to get served there was an old couple Mary and Alec who were alcoholics and used to hang about outside the Lindella selling bingo pens whom we would all chip in and buy them a few cans if they would go and get our carryoot. i always felt sorry for them. I think they stayed in Royston somewhere. I remember it being really really cold one winter and the snow being really bad. Poor Mary had a wee thin jacket on. She must have been frozen. I went home and got my maws best camel coat and taken it down and gave it to her. She was delighted. Only thing a few days later I was going in to the town with my Maw and Da and we cut through Buchanan Street Bus Station and who did we see. Although I tried to dodge them Mary and Alec came running after us thanking me so much for Marys lovely new coat. Awe try explaining that one. My maw said that looks awfy like my coat. after a full explanation of why I gave her the coat and a right good telling off my maw finally forgave me and taken me to the farmhouse restaurant for my dinner. that was a right close escape.
Ratty
So the Lindella actually existed.
The name is mentioned in Lynne Ramsay's 'Ratcatcher'.
I just presumed the name was made up.

This picture is from the the release with Glasgovian subtitles.

Click to view attachment

James,Ellen and Anne Marie watch as their mum, Anne
(played by Mandy Matthews), jives around the room.

Dunvegan
That's whaur LULU made her debut. If not her debut then her name.
Crewsy Fixer
Great thread, never knew anything about the Lindella club, but what I wonder is why was Arden/ Thornliebank "The Toon".
*Dave*
QUOTE (dodds @ 14th Jun 2004, 11:01pm) *
donald nicolson of the sixties, toon boys dougie livingstone, gavin,
drew hall, the enforcer etc etc remember the lindella club

bill graham
yep remember the lindella well. used to meet up with the toon boys in the grants arms on a Saturday night.
night. seem to remember the nicholsons with older brother gavin.
it was up crawleys close in union street and you would always get young teams hanging about
outside, like the hutchie, bundie or cumbie.
we always got in ok, and it really was a brill place, with great music and lovely girls.
there was a caf in Renfrew street where you met up on a sunday with the girl you met on the
Saturday.
ventured up to the Maryland in scott street a few times, but found it a bit hostile with all those
Maryhill fleet guys hanging around. not sure but I think it would have been around 1966.
Bryan Grieve
QUOTE (David Sinclair @ 18th Aug 2010, 01:34am) *
Hi all my name is David Sinclair and I can remember as a wee boy my Dad opening the Lindella Club at 54 Union Street, Glasgow. You went through the pend at Crawleys sports shop, turned left and up the stairs to the top floor. My young sister was Linda and my mother was named Ella and my Dad puit both their names together and called the club THe Lindella Club. This had to be in the late 1950's and initially the Lindella opened as a jazz club and the annual membership cost was six shillings per person. Later as jive became more and more popular my Das started a jiving school and he had a number of terrific jivers and he formed a number of jive teams. The most amazing jiver was a black guy, a real gentleman, George Leslie who danced with a girl called Mary, they were fantastic. What a lot of people dont know is the Lindella Jive Team performed on the Royal Command Performance and I think this was 1961. My Dad did not keep well and due to ill health reasons he did a deal with Betty and Alex Allan who ran the club successfully thereafter for a number of years. I used to work at the Lindella for extra pocket money and my job was to go round and pick up the empty 'gingy' bottles. Not much of a job but I loved it just the same as it was for my Dad, Bill Sinclair, the man who was behind the formation of a great Glasgow Club. Keep Jiving - David Sinclair

Hi David, my name is Bryan Grieve, I was a member at the club when Betty and Alex ran the club in the Lulu days, I taught Lulu to jive and worked a lot with Jackie Trotter and his brother Les.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.