Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasgow
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Rabbie
Was looking for something unrelated and came up with this wee brammer.

Hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did.

Ah the memories, bitter .. sweet.

Glasgow - Slide Show.
Mhoira
that was absolutly fab to watch
Rab-oldname
Very evocative Rabbie. About early 70s I should think. A lot of memories for us oldies there, but the loss of those ugly tenements was not before time. I liked the Subway and the Whiteinch (?) Ferry best. Pity about that soundtrack - help ma boab!
stratson
Just reminds you how grey things always looked. Glasgow has been ripped apart. Kinda sad. sad.gif

Thanks Rabbie, you always come up with interesting topics.
Weir45
Brilliant! A real wee treasure. Thanks Rabbie
Tam blair
Very nostalgic. Great wee show, thanks Rabbie.
glasgow lass
Brilliant Rabbie, was it really that bad for some, yes of course it was as I lived through part of it myself. Bitter sweet indeed even though, I would never undo the past that made me. Im sure most of us may feel the same , Glasgow for ever !
Cash-Ma-Giro
What a cracking find Robbie.

Brought back a lot of memories for the wifey and me.

Did you spot Jesus standing on the platform of
Buchanan St subway.
ceader bhoy
rabbie nice to watch.hope heathers seen it,griffins pub is in it,and her street, the building she lived in has been pulled down the endrick picture house is still standing but i think its derlict,the electric board tower in the background,drunk in the pub years ago,you could buy a bottle of eldorada wine and they gave you a half pint tumbler to drink it at the bar,you could not finish your second bottle you where parapaletic by that time :rolleyes cheers
Marion Niven Dougan
Rab, I loved the video. I can't beleive it was that bad, we were very poor but I think the Mosshouse was a nice place to grow up
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (Marion Niven Dougan @ 24th Aug 2009, 06:35pm) *
Rab, I loved the video. I can't beleive it was that bad, we were very poor but I think the Mosshouse was a nice place to grow up

Marion - video was fine but the soundtrack 'song' was dire!
(In my miserably humble opinion of course! wink.gif )
ashfield
Great find Rabbie, loved it. (I thought the sound track was ok unsure.gif ..what!)
Lennox
Rabbie, this was brill, sad but brill, makes you think eh no wonder we Scottish women are so tough.
Thanks for sharing smile.gif
DOLKIN
thanks rab i enjoyed that and at the time when rats out number people 10-1 we didnt think it was that bad we didnt know any better made u a better person
ashfield
Does anybody know who Hugh Hood (the author) was ??
Elma
Great wee video, enjoyed it but can't believe the conditions of the houses and where the children had to play. I didn't recognize much of it so was pleased to see Charing Cross which I was very familiar with in the 50s.
glasgow lass
QUOTE (ashfield @ 25th Aug 2009, 08:18am) *

Dae'yi no mean Harry Hood tongue.gif
murn
Brilliant Rabbie, Absolutely Brilliant, missed some because of the tears welling up.

looked him up

http://hughhood.com/

which is just as well as I was going to grab some snap shots for printing, now I can get them from his site.

mamie
Rabbie that brought back some memoris.... I think the music was penned for it. Lennox I agree that no wonder we are all so capable(that is the word I would use)
Rabbie could you tell me how to forward this on to members of my family who moved away. THANKS
Rabbie
Did yas like that then!

Despite the gloomy monochrome visions portrayed therein, jist look at the weans and folks, they look cheery enough! Ah bet many more of us found it a happy, warm place. Wus always plenty of middins to rake and tae set to oan fire! Remember the stink that made, nothing quite like it, and they used to burn for ages tae.

Ah got a skelping aff my Maw cause the middin smoke make a mess of hur clean washing that wus hiinging oot in the back green. Well it wasnea really a green, more black durt and puddles.

Mamie, simply include the following link in an email. Nea commas, it willnea work wi them.

"http://www.zen49449.zen.co.uk/Glasgow/"
mamie
Thanks Rabbie, I will try it......
andypisces
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsHGtehIXE

Hope you can get this link....enjoy.....andra
angel
that was a really nice video Andra . thanx.
Lennox
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 25th Aug 2009, 11:41pm) *
Did yas like that then!

How can you no like it , I loved it maslf when I finished greetin mellow.gif
Rab-oldname
Unusual Glasgow tour - but funny.
Here.
jock
good wan Rab. Thanks
27stowst
Cheers . . . . . very good Rab. Thanks. tongue.gif
Tam blair
smile.gif Good clip Rab. Unusual format for a bus tour
glasgow lass
that was great Rab, thanks biggrin.gif
glasgow lass
QUOTE (andypisces @ 26th Aug 2009, 03:58pm) *

andra a really enjoyed some of these , thanks smile.gif wub.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 25th Aug 2009, 07:14pm) *
Dae'yi no mean Harry Hood

Harry Harry, Harry Harry, Harry Harry, Harry Hood, NAW Hugh laugh.gif laugh.gif
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 23rd Aug 2009, 11:38pm) *
Brilliant Rabbie, was it really that bad for some, yes of course it was as I lived through part of it myself. Bitter sweet indeed even though, I would never undo the past that made me. Im sure most of us may feel the same , Glasgow for ever !

No wonder folk coming back get lost
Maybe because we see it changing a bit at a time we dont realise how bad it was.
The wee coffee stall at Charing Cross is still in business

The music was very sad if you didny know where it was beiruit comes to mind lol
Rabbie
Here are 2 aerial images of Toonheid, centred roughly on the beginning of Alexandra Parade at Castle St.

Many younger fowks do not realise that part of Alexandra Parade is now buried under the New Royal and the M8 was built over the Monkland Canal.

Just shows you how much of the auld toonhied was destroyed by the construction of the M8 carpark.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
glasgow lass
QUOTE (818818 @ 29th Aug 2009, 08:57pm) *
No wonder folk coming back get lost
Maybe because we see it changing a bit at a time we dont realise how bad it was.
The wee coffee stall at Charing Cross is still in business

The music was very sad if you didny know where it was beiruit comes to mind lol

yes 81 its very difficult to go back and not see what we left behind, includine many great people.One wee sweety shop still operating on Maryhill rd, almost facing Eastpark home, use to spend my bus fare in there every day coming from school, loved every minit of it,the original owner has retired, his daughter told me he is in his eighties, now she shares the stores responsibilities with other family members, its a lovely wee shop with no changes made.
glasgow lass
QUOTE (andypisces @ 26th Aug 2009, 03:58pm) *

I have just watched ( again ) the video called Glasgow Slum Housing, who can tell me the title of the music , thanks Lass. smile.gif
possilboy
great wee video rabbie well done
the brauns
Great video, thanks!
auchenshuggle
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 2nd Sep 2009, 01:28am) *
I have just watched ( again ) the video called Glasgow Slum Housing, who can tell me the title of the music , thanks Lass. smile.gif

the music is billy connollys good old place, sung by iain mackintosh.
glasgow lass
Naw'yiv got the rang wan shuggles, there wisnae any singing in this wan, just lovely music blink.gif laugh.gif
auchenshuggle
oh i do humbly beg your apology glasgow lass, i seem to have got myself in a mucking fuddle, still you`re right it was lovely music, i read through the comments and a lot o people would like to know what it was. sad.gif
ashfield
Thought I would stick this up again in case some of you guys were away on holiday and missed it. Rabbie's link in the first post is gem, in fact I'm away to look at it again smile.gif
Hugh Hood
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 25th Aug 2009, 05:20pm) *
Dae'yi no mean Harry Hood tongue.gif

Hi

I am the photographer who made the slideshow about Glasgow. Here is the links if still interested.
http://www.anticline.co.uk/Glasgow-1974-78/

Here is some more stills

http://www.anticline.co.uk/pixelpost/index...e&pagenum=1

Hugh Hood
glasgow lass
biggrin.gif Gotcha! tongue.gif
wellfield
Thanks Hugh!!...Loved it!...and to think we thought we were all pretty well off...lol
mitchell
Thanks Hugh for sharing your fantastic black and white photography of Glasgow. absolute Gem.
The music that you selected was very haunting indeed.
Great stuff.
swelter
Hi
Thanks for the comments.
I have only recently re uploaded the slideshow again after being contacted by a women from Canada who had come across the slideshow when it was on the Zen site and recognised her grandmother and friend in the image of the 2 elderly girls looking into a shop window.

I was trying of find the locations of the original images using goggle street view but everything has changed so much in Glasgow since 1974.

The music on the slideshow is called Memory Gospel by moby.

Hugh
Crewsy Fixer
Thats was excellent I liked some of the chalked graffiti on the tenemant walls. And a political poster where someone has changed the S in SNP to a B.
Rab-oldname
Thanks Hugh. That was very, very good. I watched them 3 times!
ashfield
Aye thanks for putting it up on the site again, enjoyed it once more. It's not just the memories of Glasgow but the phototgraphy is great as well.
sweetpea
hello to all,
I agree ashfield the photo,s
were fantastic ,
crewsy I wonder who was brave enough
to do the graffiti I would have been terrified
case I got caught,

thanks again hugh brings ah wee tear tae yer eye
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.