Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: General Boards Technical Issues
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Technical Support
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
d.c.
I have been finding the boards very slow in recent days, and especially this evening. Pages are taking several minutes to open. Is it just me, or is everyone having the same problem ?
27stowst
I've been the same for a few days now. Thought it was something to do with me at first but other sites running ok.
Elma
Oh good, thought it was me again!! I've been on here for over an hour when I should be doing some housework, the laundry does itself, thank goodness........... nearly lunch-time, have enjoyed my morning with a wee bit of frustration laugh.gif
angel
same here and no problem with other sites.
wee sammy
i think it is the elastic band it is stretched to the last. Time for a new laugh.gif one laugh.gif
Tam blair
That's why we are seeing a lot of double posts. Patience is a virtue. biggrin.gif
GG
Apologies all, there have been a few problems over the last couple of weeks and I have fixed a couple, but am still looking into a longer-term solution. Hopefully the temporary fix will see us through until I can make a wider change.

For the technically-minded like wee sammy, I've wrapped sellotape around the elastic band and crossed my fingers! laugh.gif

GG.
Anne1
laugh.gif laugh.gif
d.c.
For the technically-minded like wee sammy, I've wrapped sellotape around the elastic band and crossed my fingers!

No disrespect GG, but although speeds have now improved, that seems to be a very amateurish temporary repair. Surely anyone with any technical expertise would know that after wrapping sellotape around the elastic band, you then need to secure the whole thing with blu-tack.
TeeHeeHee
In the Air Force we used to give technical devices the "drop test".
That usually showed good results ... taking the 3% fail quotient into consideration.
glasgow lass
well if that elastic bands done , maybe Anne1 will give us one of her garters to use. laugh.gif tongue.gif
ashfield
Is it no something to do with how you stick your tongue out when you hit the post button? It will probably be a valve but if you're stuck at GG let us know and we'll have a whip round for some gaffer tape. As the saying goes.....when I nod ma heid, hit it laugh.gif
GG
laugh.gif laugh.gif

One thing I would suggest is that anyone who is using the Internet Explorer (IE) browser should – if they are able – consider changing their browser to Firefox, as it is much faster at displaying pages on Glasgow Guide (and many other sites). The main reason for this is that Firefox can begin to display a multi-table page long before if has downloaded the entire page, unlike IE, which struggles to do this at speed.

You can download the free software here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

English (Windows) version direct link:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...&lang=en-GB

During installation you'll get the option to transfer your settings that you had in IE. The downside is that you will have to log back into all the sites you have a username and password for (like Glasgow Guide) the first time you accesss them in Firefox.

You will see a real diffence in speed though!

(That said, I'm still working on improving the general speed of the boards.)

GG
d.c.
Thanks GG. I have just downloaded Firefox and although it might take a bit of getting used to, it certainly makes things faster on this and several other sites that I have visited so far.
klingon
Shovel mair coal in the computer!
glasgow lass
So can we give Anne her garter back,,,,,,as she has wan stoking trailing at'ur ankle .
Anne1
You cheeky lassie GL laugh.gif
Tam blair
Is that whits called " a technical sight" laugh.gif
mitchell
I have been on Firefox for years it is a good system, in which you will be notified if anything needs updated.
d.c.
I must say that with Firefox, I am now noticing improved speeds even on sites where I wasn't actually previously aware of any speed problems. It just seems to be generally faster, but I suppose it may differ for other users depending on computer spec.
27stowst
I've been on Firefox for a year or so and think it's great . smile.gif
d.c.
I am finding the boards really slow today, even on Firefox. All pages seem to be freezing, until the Google adverts in the right hand sidebar download.
d.c.
I have noticed the boards running slow again today and like last week, my impression is that it is something to do with the Google adverts on the right hand side of the page.

Whenever GG pages freeze, the progress bar shows various Google URLs downloading very slowly, with names such as googleads, googleadclick, googlesyndication, google-analytics, etc.
wee sammy
Don't you just love technology it always works and never fails yea right over rated the whole thing mad.gif mad.gif
ashfield
I see the boards are running like clockwork.......eh..any chance of moving to electricity rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
Mine is hooked up to an exercise bike. Peddle Power, that's the answer. After a hard day on the computer you're ready for your dinner. biggrin.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
If you visit this web site you can
download Add-ons for Firefox....
Firefox Add-ons

And for the technical minded you
may appreciate this web site....
Speed-Up Firefox

Cash
ashfield
How come the board is running one hour ahead of everybody else unsure.gif

Did I miss the clocks changing huh.gif
stratson
Need to get a new timekeeper. tongue.gif
stratson
Have just downloaded Firefoz, goodbye Internet Explorer. ohmy.gif
Cash-Ma-Giro
Hate to bring this up again, but is anyone else finding GG slow to load this weather? I've been experiencing speed problems for a couple of weeks now.
I've tweaked firefox to the hilt and still find the boards slow. Other sites are A OK.

Cheers,
cash.
mitchell
I find it slow to load also and I am on super fast cable!
Anne1
Thank goodness thought it was just my pc that was going slow , this has been going on since Saturday sad.gif
angel
I thought it was my pc as well unsure.gif
Elma
My computer is a bit 'sick' right now so thought it was me too. huh.gif
Jupiter
It could be that PCs are being slowed up because too many applications are being run in the background.These come on when you start up your PC and definately slow it down.In Windows XP and Vista it is possible to delete Temporary Internet files which will a lso slow down the PC.
Hope this helps.
Joop
GG
Thanks all, I've notices this also and have been in contact with our hosts to see if they can help, though I'll also need to get the toolkit out over the weekend and see if I can fix it ... will let you know.

Apologies for the inconvenience. mellow.gif

GG.
Cash-Ma-Giro
QUOTE (GG @ 16th Jul 2010, 12:55pm) *
Thanks all, I've notices this also and have been in contact with our hosts to see if they can help, though I'll also need to get the toolkit out over the weekend and see if I can fix it ... will let you know.
Apologies for the inconvenience. mellow.gif
GG.

Good Good smile.gif

One point I failed to mention is... when waiting for GG to load, a message can be seen in the lower left corner of the page stating "Waiting For GGDB To Load" which is normal. However, since GG has become slower the message also now includes "Waiting on Google". This possibly may have a bearing on the problem.
Plus of course there's a fair old amount of graphics in the site which, at times, can slowdown loading.

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 16th Jul 2010, 05:08am) *
It could be that PCs are being slowed up because too many applications are being run in the background.These come on when you start up your PC and definately slow it down.In Windows XP and Vista it is possible to delete Temporary Internet files which will a lso slow down the PC.
Hope this helps.
Joop

Good point Joop, everyone should delete these files. I delete them once a week, at the minimum.
Anne1
Today ive been bumped of here three times no problem this morning, wub.gif
angel
the boards where down here for a bit earlier on,
Anne1
Think maybe Martin is working on them he did say yesterday he was looking into things smile.gif
Anne1
Anyone else still finding the board slow its taking for ever to download a page or even post a reply wub.gif
angel
It's the very same here Anne sad.gif
benny
Aye, things can get very slow at times but ah don't think it's anythin tae dae wi peoples' PCs - the GG board seems tae be the only wan affected, at least in ma experience. Ah've even logged off a few times rather than sit through the interminable wait when ah want tae post.
GG
Hi All,

Just to let you know that I am still working on this situation to improve the sped of the boards. I apologise to everyone, however, I am sure it will be resolved and we will have a speedy system again fairly soon. That said, I intend to be working on it this week, so there may be sime disruption in the meantime. Please stick in there.

GG.
mitchell
Martin, that roller caption that you have near the top of the page would be using up a bit of time to get the pages up and running.
Why don't you omit it for a few days to see how it runs?
Elma
What roller caption?
Anne1
cheers elma thought it was just me that couldnt see it biggrin.gif
Elma
I'm glad to hear that Anne biggrin.gif
Anne1
keep getting booted of GG this morning and a havnae been a bad girl anybody else having same problem sad.gif sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.