Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where I Was Born, How About You?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Glasgow Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
BigJock
This is where it all began, many years ago, 13 Govanhill Street.

Click to view attachment
penny dainty
Good photo Jock, did you get it from Google street maps?
BigJock
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 23rd Jun 2009, 12:27am) *
Good photo Jock, did you get it from Google street maps?

Yes I did, and it brought a tear ta ma eye, a stroll down Govanhill Street to my old school, Cuthbertson Str. Primary. rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
My, humble, beginning was at 1014 Great Western Road (in War-Torn Glasgow,) June 21 1944; Home for Unwed Mothers.
Just another wee bar steward from the Toon.
I'm "Coming Home" on 17th August to put my hands on the spot.
Could someone put a big "X" on the pavement for me where it might have stood?
Whatever was going on in that 18 year old girl's life back then; hardship, strict parents, no interest, whatever ... I got to be born, and that's usually a good start.
And I got to be born in Glasgow; a bonus.
tombro
My Birth Certificate says I was born at the Glasgow Maternity Hospital on the eighth of February, 1950. The home address of my parents was 47 Nethan Street, Govan.

If anyone can post a picture of either, then or now, I'd be ever grateful !

Tombro rolleyes.gif
ninab
I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?

I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?
ashfield
Ninab, hope you are enjoying the blethers smile.gif If you look at the Possilpark bit of the site there is a photo of fancy flats near a canal. Borron St was right behind it.
ninab
Just had a look...I wonder what my father would have thought of that!! Looks very posh eh?
Southside jim
I live round the corner from their.

Sadly its like most other parts of glasgow now...Fly-tipping everywhere !!!

That must've been taking when something was taking place in the park & local councilors were in attendance!!! rolleyes.gif As you'll not see the street that clean anymore sadly. sad.gif

I was brought-up in Jamieson street in my grand-parents house. Those house's are no longer there, they are an old folk complex. Really nice inside.
CAT
I was born in stobhill hospital and went from there to a childrens home in Rhu near helensburgh till my mum and dad came and picked me when I was 5 months old. From there on had a lovely childhood living in corkerhill until I got married in i986.
Tee hee I'm sure your mother like mine had no choice in the matter. Just remember thanks to her the worlds a better place because you were born. biggrin.gif wub.gif
George Muir
Hi BigJock I lived for a while in the next street to you - Carfin Street. I had friends and relatives in Govanhill Street.
BigJock
QUOTE (George Muir @ 23rd Jun 2009, 04:40pm) *
Hi BigJock I lived for a while in the next street to you - Carfin Street. I had friends and relatives in Govanhill Street.

My mother worked in the fish & chip shop at the corner of Calder Street and Inglefield Street, Pennies chip shop I think was the name.
magpie
QUOTE (tombro @ 23rd Jun 2009, 06:24am) *
My Birth Certificate says I was born at the Glasgow Maternity Hospital on the eighth of February, 1950. The home address of my parents was 47 Nethan Street, Govan.

Tombro rolleyes.gif

sad , sad , to tell you that Nethan St is gone I was born at # 75 so just a couple of closes from your parents , I was born in 1942 so there's a good chance that I new your parents , I left Nethen St when I was 13 , but still visited till I was 19 then came to US , I went home 30 yrs later and most of it was gone , I cried my heart out , went home again 10 years later and it was gone , it was a great St we where all poor but boy did we have fun hope I can help magpie
stratson
QUOTE (BigJock @ 23rd Jun 2009, 09:38pm) *
My mother worked in the fish & chip shop at the corner of Calder Street and Inglefield Street, Pennies chip shop I think was the name.

Pennies sold the best chips in Govanhill. biggrin.gif
George Muir
Every Friday we waited for my dad getting home with his wages and we rushed to buy fish suppers at Penny's. I think the Penny family lived just round the corner in Inglefield Street.
tombro
Thanks, Magpie, for your reply to my post !

Sadly, I don't remember much of Nethan Street as I was born in 1950 and my earliest memories are of living in at 25 Fruin Street in Possil. Somewhere around late '54 early '55 we moved to Drumchapel and at the end of 1960 my family emigrated to Sydney, Australia.

Unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to return to the place of my birth, so I use GG as an outlet to seek information on my heritage. Every now and again I get lucky and hit someone or something with a link to my past and I get a big kick out of that !

Interestingly, the post immediately following yours was made by Stratson, the first person who ever replied to one of my posts on GG.

Thanks for taking the time to add another little bit of kindling to my Glasgow Memories.

Tombro rolleyes.gif
George Muir
I was born at 27 Sussex Street, just past Paisley Road Toll. My wife was born in Lora Drive, Bellahouston, but moved shortly thereafter to Wallace Street when the depression hit. You can see many of these streets in "Google Earth"
joycewilson
I was born in Rottenrow Hospital but lived in Tormusk Road in castlemilk till my teens then parents moved to Crosshill, I got a flat at 474 cathcart Road then moved to 66 Govanhill Street, from there moved to Rutherglen where I still am.
Biancax3
southern general - whiteinch biggrin.gif
auchenshuggle
i was born at duke street hospital, i do`nt remember much aboot it , as i was very young at the time. laugh.gif
Gemini
I was born in Annick St Shettleston, sad to say it doesn't exist anymore sad.gif
jock
Born at home, 18 Simpson St. Maryhill in tenement long gone.
Cameron
I was born up the Gillshie but all the tenements have been knocked down my mother was born in the same house i was born in we even went to the same school and that is gone now . I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years but i bet most of it has been changed .I have lived here in Canada now since 1964 and some times i get a few tears in my eye it doesnt matter how long you are away you sure do miss it
sylviathom
QUOTE (ninab @ 23rd Jun 2009, 01:08pm) *

DOLKIN
QUOTE (Cameron @ 26th Dec 2009, 07:21pm) *
I was born up the Gillshie but all the tenements have been knocked down my mother was born in the same house i was born in we even went to the same school and that is gone now . I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years but i bet most of it has been changed .I have lived here in Canada now since 1964 and some times i get a few tears in my eye it doesnt matter how long you are away you sure do miss it

i lived in the gilshie for 25 yrs since 1975 moved there at aged 9 first inside toilet and loved every year of it was a great place to grow up and an education into the bargain remember most of the old red sandstone building cambell st sandbank st viewmont drive made a fortune as a kid collecting scrap and even sold the old slates off the roof
murphy
I was born in Tollcross in Altyre Street, I lived there till 1961 moved to London and the to the US. been here since 1967, my brother just passed away 2 weeks ago now I have no contacts at home feel pretty bad. I am trying to find an old friend his name was Joseph McClafferty he lived in Blackhill went to the Denny Palais and Crossmyloof does anyone know him. Love the site. Irene.
penny dainty
Alas another great place Redlands Hospital is no longer, hey but I'm still here biggrin.gif
wombat
QUOTE (Cameron @ 26th Dec 2009, 07:21pm) *
. I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years . me neither pal laugh.gif

TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (murphy @ 27th Dec 2009, 06:10am) *
I was born in Tollcross in Altyre Street, I lived there till 1961 moved to London and the to the US. been here since 1967, my brother just passed away 2 weeks ago now I have no contacts at home feel pretty bad. I am trying to find an old friend his name was Joseph McClafferty he lived in Blackhill went to the Denny Palais and Crossmyloof does anyone know him. Love the site. Irene.

A warm Welcome to the boards Irene. You'll soon make many friendly contacts here. Just keep posting.
All the best for 2010.
possilboy
hi all born in carbeth st possilpark 1945 left 1963 to oz now nz lved above this shop saddly houses all gone
martin_glasgow
Hi..Was Born In Willock Street Maryhill In 1955 In A Single End With Outside Tolilet.Then Moved To Maryhill Barracks (Wyndford) Stayed In Australia For A while,Have Now Been Back In Glasgow For Many Years…
Martin…
rosemary morgan
please help me, I was born in 1954 and lived at 87 Forbes Street Gallowgate then at Maryhill street .lost all contacts of my life, I have a brother called James Morgan and a sister called Margret Morgan her last known address was Easterhouse. Does anybody remember me or my family?
Frank981
I was brought up in Polmadie street bounded by Calder street and Hamilton street.I lived next door to the primary school and attended the local church, was in the Squibs,Lifeboys,Boys Brigade,it was a very close knit community.Sadly the tenements/school no longer exist.
Rosemary Morgan
Hi I posted a message a while ago asking anybody who might know or remember me or my family we lived at 87 Forbes Street Gallowgate my sister Margaret my brother was called James Morgan, I then lived at Maryhill Street.I was born at Rottenrow in 1954,anybody who remembers me or my family PLEASE REPLY!!
campsie
I was born 28 Stobcross Street, kelvingrove 1948, but first memory is of 9 McLean Street Kinning Park.
Elma
I was sure I had posted here before but on looking back, I hadn't. I was born in Eastriggs, Dumfriesshire moving to Annan when I was two. I lived in Glasgow for all of 6 months before going back to Annan for the duration of the war. I returned to Upland Road, Scotstoun Glasgow where I stayed till I married when I lived in Kenmure Street, Pollokshields then moved to 10 Kendal Avenue, Giffnock before emigrating to British Columbia, Canada. I have been here since 1967 living in Vancouver and Port Coquitlam and am now in Kimberley, a resort town in the Canadian Rockies.

My life in a nutshell............. biggrin.gif
auchenshuggle
so elma, yer a wee doon hamer? biggrin.gif
Elma
Yep, shuggs, that's me - and a Queen of the South supporter to boot!!!! laugh.gif
Jimmuck
Ah wiss born at 42 Cowlairs Rd, Springburn an' if ye look at the photae? doon that street an' right above the wee phone box? that wee single-end windae? that wiss oor wee single-end, ootside lavvy, palace where 6 of us wiss born ... we moved tae Balornock, Wallacewell Rd, in 1946 an' it wiss PARADISE! oor ain Ponderosa, "Wagons Rollllllllll" LoL!

and, jist tae show yese that ah like yese? ah'm gonnie share a photae that a pal of mine took on Beautiful Cape Breton Island, where she lives on Chapel Island .... it's of a sunset on Bras d'or Lake (Bras d'or means Arm of Gold in Spanish) izzatt noa clever eh? enjoy the gorgeous sunset an' count your blessings, not your enemies, LoL!

mitchell
Yes indeed, especially if you are sitting back and relaxing listening to Buddy MacMaster or his niece Natalle playing the fiddle!
Great spot Cape Breton with lots of Scottish connections.
Jimmuck
Hi' Mitchell, I knew Buddy when I lived in St.Peter's just across the Island from his home in Judique, Natalie lived in Troy, but now she's married to Donal Lehey of "The Lehey's" (Izzatt the right spelling? ma brain's nippin, LoL!" and possibly living in the Peterborough area of Ontario? Cameron Chisolm of Margaree Forks was always my fav'
Cape Breton has gifted the world with some beautiful musicians, but they needed the base of Guid Scots Music tae build oan.
dizzybint
so true Jimmuck.. but lovely place your in noo....
born in England brought up in Scotland.. wae a Scots mammy so am Scottish thru and thru.. and dont say any different.. hahaha.
*Bridie*
QUOTE (rosemary morgan @ 4th Sep 2010, 06:40am) *
please help me, I was born in 1954 and lived at 87 Forbes Street Gallowgate then at Maryhill street .lost all contacts of my life, I have a brother called James Morgan and a sister called Margret Morgan her last known address was Easterhouse. Does anybody remember me or my family?

Today being Burns day, I was thinking of Scotland and found this site ....

I'm sorry I can't help you Rosemary, I'm in the same boat as you, also born in 1954, so I just wanted to say that I know how you feel and that I hope you find your family again.

If, on the off chance somebody just might know about me :

I know I was born in Rotten Row Hospital in the middle of July 1954. Maybe, if anyone who reads this and was born on or around the 15th could ask their mothers if they met mine then? They would remember her, she was very very young, about twelve years old, and I was immediately adopted. I don't know anything else about her and still wonder about her.

I have sadly never visited Glasgow, and have lived abroad most of my life. Scotland is what I read about and see on the TV or Internet but I do feel profoundly Scottish, even though I live abroad and speak in another language, I have enjoyed finding this site and reading all the posts here.

"Lang may all your lums reek"! wink.gif
poolie
My birth certificate says where I was born 10 Clairmont gardens Glasgow. would this be like a nursing home?

This is not a family address.My date of birth is March 1945.

My birth was registered at Kelvingrove district is that where this address is?
wellfield
QUOTE (poolie @ 8th Apr 2012, 10:43am) *
My birth certificate says where I was born 10 Clairmont gardens Glasgow. would this be like a nursing home?

This is not a family address.My date of birth is March 1945.

My birth was registered at Kelvingrove district is that where this address is?

I remember staying in a small hotel not far from that address not too long ago and was very surprised how beautiful that whole neighbourhood was,seemed like one of the loveliest places I've seen in Glasgow....hope someone on here can help you,I'm sure they will.....Campbell
Doug1
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 27th Dec 2009, 09:15am) *
Alas another great place Redlands Hospital is no longer, hey but I'm still here biggrin.gif

Hi Penny I was born in Redlands hospital which I think was on Great Western road in February 1942. I dont remember much about it except that it was during the war
Marie McIntosh
QUOTE (tombro @ 23rd Jun 2009, 11:15am) *

Tombro rolleyes.gif

wee mags
I was born in 26 Guthrie St ,in what we called the big room thumbup.gif
Elma
I was born at home too, at 31 the Rand Square, Eastriggs, Dumfriesshire. Have you noticed how small the line is for you to put your birthplace on forms etc. It is very hard to get all that, well the Eastriggs Dumfriesshire anyway on the space provided laugh.gif I didn't come to Glasgow until I was 10 years old.
DannyH
QUOTE (wee mags @ 5th Apr 2016, 05:05pm) *
I was born in 26 Guthrie St ,in what we called the big room :thumbup:

Hello Mags

Was that above or below Garbraid Avenue? My Dad's brother, Hugh Harris lived in the last close at the juction with Garbraid Avenue in the Corporation houses. So with you talking about the big room , I take it you lived in the tenements above Garbraid Avenue. My mother worked in the wee grocers shop in Guthrie Street above Garbraid Avenue in the late 1930's.

Many years later, the first house I lived in after being married was a single end in Balfour Street.

Regards

Danny Harris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.