Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gurkha Justice Campaign
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Bonny
Please sign the petition here.

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Avril
Bonny, I've signed the petition and passed it on to friends and family. It's a disgrace the way the British Government are treating the Gurkhas. Joanna Lumley is doing a great job in supporting them.
Rabbie
Aye,

This government is a disgrace to us all.
Southside jim
This whole mess sums up whats wrong in this once great country of OURS !!!

You put your life on the line for it, and you get treated with total comtemp !!!

BUT, if you want to bomb it, kill its citizens or contstanly try and undermine its laws you get everything you want !!!!!

These brave men, like many others from other countries should AUTOMATICALLY be allowed to live here.

But our governement is too weak to close all its borders to stop ILLEGAL immigrants who bleed this country dry.

Now wonder we're in so much debt...
hudggy
Signed this because for what these guys have done for us they should not need to beg to enter this country they have shown more loyalty than a lot of people born here. This Goverment is a disgrace to the people who elected them I know I am thinking of change my vote next election.

Hudggy
murn
Saw this before and signed.

These men are the bravest of brave and should be welcomed with open arms. They are the most loyal fighters we have. Shame on this Government

And those we're happy to let in...

While thousands of Gurkhas are barred from entering the country, about 30,000 asylum seekers a year remain here until their application is processed. About 9,000 a year are allowed to stay.

On top of these are the dangerous criminals we have allowed to stay in Britain because barring them would 'breach their human rights'.

Raymond Horne, a 62-year-old predatory paedophile, was deported from Australia, where he lived since the age of five. Britain had no choice but to let him in.

On the same day in March last year, Gurkha hero Gyanendra Rai was refused NHS treatment. The 53-year-old is partly paralysed after his back was torn open by an Argentine shell during the Falklands War.

Italian-born Learco Chindamo, 28, who knifed to death headmaster Philip Lawrence in 1995, is free to stay in the UK after lawyers claimed that deportation would 'breach his right to a family life'.

Hate preacher Abu Qatada, 48, is wanted by Jordan for involvement in terrorist attacks but remains in Britain after the Law Lords ruled that it was illegal to deport him in case he was tortured at home.

Pakistani illegal immigrant Ahsan Sabri, who killed a young writer by driving into her at 60mph, was given the right to stay in the UK because he had married a British woman and had a daughter.

Full Article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...-NONE-pass.html
TeeHeeHee
This is totally DISGRACEFUL.
Shocking behaviour by those in office against those who served this land. I have had the immense privilege to have been together with Gurkha's in uniform ... though not in action ... how these guys think of the UK, the Queen and Commonwealth puts a lot of us to shame.

Legend has it that a squad of Gurkha's once refused to carry out an order, something never before heard of in the Gurkha Regiment, because they considered the mission a wee bit too risky.
They were being asked by their English Officer to take part in a mission that involved "Tree Jumping" where they would be expected to jump out of an aircraft at slightly above 300ft. and land in the tree foliage below. The Gurkha's told the Officer if it's all the same they'd rather jump at about 100ft; they'd chance that but not 300.
" But your chutes wont open in time under 300ft."
"Oh, we're getting chutes ?"
Shona
Have signed petition.
Fully agree with sentiments expressed as i'm sure most decent people would.
Shame on our government!
Bonny
Brown defeated over Gurkha rules

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8023882.stm
Heather
Yes it is a disgrace that the people who fight for this Country are not allowed to live here.
The Gurkhas don't even receive the same Pension as the British soldiers.

Anyone else seems to get into this Country, it's an open door to any rogue and they are costing us a fortune in money.

The Gurkhas our dads and g'dads fought to keep Britain, British. Now this government with it's Immigration Policy are destroying what was once Great Britain.
TeeHeeHee
Nice to see MPs finally getting their collective fingers out...for a change.
Three cheers to Joanna Lumley. biggrin.gif
Rab-oldname
I was stationed with the Gurkha Engineers Regiment at Chatham many years ago. They were brilliant soldiers and extremely proud to serve our Queen and country. They never deserved the treatment this pathetic 'government' gave them.
The Gurkhas have a symbolic staff called the Queens Trucheon.
Click to view attachment
During the Indian Mutiny in 1857-8 the Sirmoor Battalion (which later became the 2nd KEO Goorkhas, and latterly the Royal Gurkha Rifles) remained loyal to the British Crown.

The Battalion, together with the Guides and the 60th Rifles, held the key position on the outskirts of Delhi known as Hindu Rao's House for over three months of constant attack.

During this period the 2nd Goorkhas suffered 327 casualties (including 8 of their 9 British Officers) out of a total strength of 490.

Following the conclusion of the mutiny, the 2nd Goorkhas were designated as a Rifle Regiment as a mark of the bond that had been created with the 60th Rifles.

This explains the dark green uniforms, the rapid marching pace, and the title of Rifleman given to Gurkha soldiers.

In addition, Queen Victoria directed that the Battalion be awarded a special truncheon to replace the Regimental Colours that could no longer be carried by a Rifle Regiment.

The Queen's Truncheon is still in service today, proudly guarded by the Royal Gurkha Rifles. There is an inscribed band around the staff of the truncheon to commemorate each occasion that it has subsequently been presented to the sovereign.

................................................................................

Can anyone guess what Rab would like to do with the Queens Truncheon, given the chance?
Well done the campaigners.
Avril
QUOTE (Rab @ 2nd May 2009, 08:21pm) *
Can anyone guess what Rab would like to do with the Queens Truncheon, given the chance?
Well done the campaigners.

Yes Rab, my sentiments entirely. I have great admiration for the gurkhas, my dad told me how brave they were. The gurkhas were dedicated and fought for our country, I am totally embarrassed that we had to have a campaign to fight for justice for them against our own government.
stratson
QUOTE (Heather @ 2nd May 2009, 12:09am) *
Yes it is a disgrace that the people who fight for this Country are not allowed to live here.
The Gurkhas don't even receive the same Pension as the British soldiers.

Anyone else seems to get into this Country, it's an open door to any rogue and they are costing us a fortune in money.

The Gurkhas our dads and g'dads fought to keep Britain, British. Now this government with it's Immigration Policy are destroying what was once Great Britain.

Totally agree with you Heather.
Am so glad the government were defeated.
My Dad used to tell me about the Ghurkas and that wasn't yesterday.
He was very proud of them. smile.gif
TeeHeeHee
We (RAF 54 Squadron...motto: Fleet of Foot.) went to Singapore on an exercise and during our stay we were invited by 30 Squadron ( who were doomed to stay in Singapore after an incident which forbade the Squadron as such from returning to Blighty ) to compete in a game of football. Our team consisted mostly of Scotsmen and immediately before kick-off XXX Squadron suddenly produced a Gurkha Pipe Band who played a series of laments and just as they finished, and we were wiping away our tears of pride and homesickness, someone blew the whistle to start the game...and we got thrashed.
We blamed it on the Gurkha Pipers who should maybe have fired us up with Scotland the Brave or Scots wha Hae or something other than the dirges they played at the behest of the English.
None-the-less, they were on the field because of us.
An Honour on it's own.
TeeHeeHee
Joanna Lumley has just been "Welcomed Home as a daughter - for the first time" by the people of Nepal in honour of her hard fought fight to to gain respect and recognition for the brave men of the Gurkha Regiment.
Well done Joanna.
carmella
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 27th Jul 2009, 01:01pm) *
Joanna Lumley has just been "Welcomed Home as a daughter - for the first time" by the people of Nepal in honour of her hard fought fight to to gain respect and recognition for the brave men of the Gurkha Regiment.
Well done Joanna.

Overwhelmingly agree with you THH. I think she has done a terrific job. I went to her site some months ago and signed the Petition - until she brought this out into the public domain, I sincerely did not know these brave people did not have the right to stay here - terrific Joanna.
27stowst
Likewise. Signed her petition and like you didn't know the situation till she brought it to the fore.
dugald
I read this petition mentioned in Bonny's Post #1. If the closing paragraph of Joanna Lumley's petition is the criteria for granting the requested privileges to the Ghurkas, then one must assume this would apply to all people who served in British wars... not only the Ghurkas. This would include Irish, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Americans, South Africans, Indians, Jamaicans, Malayans, who served more than four years, and no doubt a few others. Hmmmm, I wonder.
TeeHeeHee
I think the Nationals that you mentioned Dugald, with maybe the possible exception of the Malay, already have the right to reside in the UK, which the Gurkha didn't.
dugald
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Jul 2009, 12:07am) *
I think the Nationals that you mentioned Dugald, with maybe the possible exception of the Malay, already have the right to reside in the UK, which the Gurkha didn't.

Thanks for the information Thh. Where'n the heck would they have put them all! Clearly, it never became a problem. I wonder if there are reciprocal agreements with the countries I mentioned. I wouldn't think so. If a Britisher for example wished to emmigrate to Canada these days, I'm sure he'd/she'd have to go through normal immigration channels whether or not they had served in the same wars as Canada.

I think the main difference between the nationalities I mentioned and the Ghurkas is that the Ghurkas are really mercenaries... just like the French Foreign Legion. Well, i guess if the French mercenaries can become French citizens why then shouldn't the British allow the Ghurkas to become British citizens. (I may be wrong, but I believe the Foreign Legion may become French citizens on demobilisation.).
TeeHeeHee
Your could be right there mate ... incidentally one of of Frances biggest social problems is with the Algerian immigrants (even here in a relatively rural area of France)
TeeHeeHee
A Gurkha soldier who single-handedly defeated more than 30 Taliban fighters has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the Queen.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun defeated more than 30 Taliban fighters single-handedly
Used the tripod of his machine gun to beat away a militant after running out of ammunition

Click to view attachment

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...l#ixzz1OAnpStAL
wellfield
A fine Soldier indeed!!!...congrats to him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.