Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Collection Of Old Glasgow Photos
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
GG
I just found a great collection of photos from the LIFE photo archive hosted by Google. I hadn't seen a lot of them. The best one IMO are taken in the slums – the early and latter pages of the ten pages of Glasgow images.

Here's some of my favourites:

Click to view attachment
Young girl holding small, dirty-faced little girl, in slum section of the city

Click to view attachment
Candidate visiting a home of people living in slum section of the city

Click to view attachment
Woman and child walking down street in slum section of the city

Click to view attachment
Child playing in slum section of the city

(The descriptive words referring to 'slums' are from the collection, not me!) See all the Glasgow pix here:

GG.
Java
Aw, those are brilliant, thanks for the link. I love the Rainy Day street scene...smile.gif
Melody
Well that's me away intae dreamland looking at those brilliant photos. Thank you. Your right often what is referred to as slums held the best loved of hard working people. Ah'd rather have those folk than the ones living in the posh houses any day. wub.gif
Melody
They are absolutely priceless. wub.gif
murn
I've saw quite a few of them but lots more I haven,t Great stuff. But it really astounded me the first time I saw kids running around with no shoes. I really did not know that until I saw some of the old pictures. sad.gif
Lennox
Murn , These are Brilliant , I could swear that is me by the middens in the back court
Heather
The photographer seems to be fascinated with alleys and lanes, as there are a lot of those kind of picture's and a lot of duplicates.

There were also a lot of old buildings in wide streets, but the photographer preferred to show Glasgow at it's worse.

Big change's in Glasgow now, but I wonder if any of these old slums still exist in other parts of Glasgow.
I do know that just off Baillieston Main Street, there is a building with the stairs running up the side of the building as shown in some of the picture's of Old Glasgow.

murn
Heather I think a lot of them are taken from the Thomas Annan's 'Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow.

It would be nice if they told you the name of the streets recognized some of the Gorbals and Trongate
Heather
Murn, I did not recognise any of the place's in the picture's.

I didn't know the Gorbals and was only there once when I went to visit an Aunt and I was married by then.
Rab-oldname
I have a big lump in my throat! What memories these photos recall.
Melody
Ah'm wi' you Rab on this one, I put my hands up to romanticising the old housing and streets right enough, it wasn't much fun I don't expect living in some of them but the wonderful memories of people who lived there at that time, how I loved them. The excitement of those Gorbals streets, the wee shops that had a thousand exciting smells. Ah'm so glad I have those memories. wub.gif Priceless.
Rabbie
QUOTE (Melody @ 20th Apr 2009, 08:48pm) *
Ah'd rather have those folk than the ones living in the posh houses any day. wub.gif

Same here, at least there people had the time of day for each other.!

Elma
These photos ae fascinating, like Heather I was only in the Gorbals once and coulldn't believe what I saw. Did people really live in these conditions like in the pictures? It must have been a really hard life. I know - I lived a very sheltered life both in the Borders and then in Glasgow.
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (GG @ 20th Apr 2009, 10:25pm) *

The photographs are fantastic. Unmistakably old Glasgow. The slum photographs on the early pages certainly look like the photographs of Thomas Annan of the wynds and closes around High Street, Trongate, Saltmarket, Bridgegate, Gallowgate and Gorbals Main Street from 1868.

I particularly enjoyed the photographs of the Gorbals taken by Mark Kauffman in 1948 on pages 9 and 10 which include the photos of the Labour Party candidate Alice Cullen campaigning in the Glasgow Gorbals Parliamentary Constituency during the famous by-election of 1948.
glasgow lass
As much as I love these photies I hate them at the same time, its horrible to think that people lived in such dire straights
Rabbie
Yes, looking back it was appalling conditions, but we somehow managed and had a great time doing so.

My fave out that collection is the one with the wee girl holding the babi with the dirty face, there is just something so haunting about both of them, I cant put my finger on what. Its like someone walking over yer grave.

This the next fave

Click to view attachment

I bet a few of us can see ourselves as wee boys and lassies in that one! Puddle splashing in oor wellies!

Thank you for pointing us to the collection. It's a wonderful collection that I had not seen many of the images before.

I am sure it will bring joy and many happy memories to many.
murn
although some of these show some bad living conditions I am sure there were many more spotlessly clean little homes within those so called slums. The media has not changed much they tend to show the bad and ignore the good.
Many a child came home with a dirty face but went to bed clean and loved.
glasgow lass
A remember these nights well murn when my mother would scrub us clean and put nice pj's on us, give us toasted cheese read us a lovely story and sitting at the big fire drying my hair. oh a feel like greetin noo.
angel
I remember many years ago I was at home by myself one morning ,
when the Green Lady knocked on the door, in she came doing her usual rounds and after a few questions she said ....! my goodness your mother
keeps a little palace here!,,, I still smile when I remember that, as it was a single end... smile.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 22nd Apr 2009, 12:46am) *
oh a feel like greetin noo.

Stoap it, ye wil have us all bawling!

wub.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (murn @ 21st Apr 2009, 11:30pm) *
Many a child came home with a dirty face but went to bed clean and loved.

Key words, too many kids lack the love element these days.

mad.gif
Melody
Absolutely Rabbie, there are many types of poverty. Indeed it was horrendous that people had to live in such conditiions. It is also true to say that many were absolutely spotlessly clean inside though.Many very wonderful families came out of that type of housing and lived very successful and admirable lives. Yes there's a worse kind of poverty around these days sadly. Most of the folk who lived in these conditions were in full time employment, hard labour too. That is what should keep the fight in us all. wub.gif
TeeHeeHee
As a kid I used to visit, with my mum, people she knew in the Gorbals, Brig'ton and the salt market. We were poor by any standards but they "seemed" poorer... Although as kids, I mean us and those we visited, we didn't seem to notice the poverty.
Getting us kids dressed up to visit friends in Glasgow was a joke.
" Aye, ok, go oot an' play...Bit Don't Get Durty Ah'm Telling Yees,"
witshisname
Thanks for that great Link Martin,I enjoyed seeing the Old Glasgow pics.
Luckily I have some family pics from back in those days,and perhaps from some of those old neighbourhoods.
Wormy
Fairly brings a lump to the throat, the link it just great I could spend hours looking at them all,
As weans then we never knew how bad off things were our mothers made sure of that. I don't ever remember any visitor coming to see my mother and be kept standing at the door, our hoose was always open and clean and anyone and everyone was offered a cup of tea.
possilboy
a close off the saltmarket 1868
possilboy
staircase nicholson st gorbals 1950
possilboy
bellahouston park
murn
I think I put this on before but it is one of my favorites so here it is again

yee jist gotta luv the Dad tongue.gif
witshisname
went through the photie album, and found this one of a boy & his mum in the Gorbals around 1936-'37.I think he was a friend of my Dad.
glasgow lass
thats cute wits, a wonder what he's got up his jumper biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Rabbie
QUOTE (murn @ 27th Apr 2009, 06:23pm) *
I think I put this on before but it is one of my favorites so here it is again

yee jist gotta luv the Dad tongue.gif

Jings!

He reminds me of Ron Mael, he is the plank spanker <keyboards> from Sparks, the wan that looks a cross between Hilter and Charlie Chaplin.

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif
possilboy
this was taken in garscube rd i think mid fifties
dizzybint
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 21st Apr 2009, 10:31pm) *
As much as I love these photies I hate them at the same time, its horrible to think that people lived in such dire straights
I agree with you.. but some wax lyrical..
Scots Kiwi Lass
Most of us are guilty of looking back with rose-tinted glasses....... but at the same time, I only remember the happy times in our tenement. Three generations sharing a room and kitchen, one cold water tap and a toilet on the landing shared with two other families.

While I am sure it was hard at times for our parents, my sisters and I always had a wee holiday each year (usually in Arran) and we were warmly dressed and as well fed as possible in the circumstances. We also had many happy Christmas days too and lots of interaction with wider family, aunties, grannies, cousins, etc.

The only sorrow I have is that our mother passed away in 1953, aged 42, leaving our Dad and 3 daughters. I am sure she would have loved the new 2-bedroom flat we got about 2 years later in Cadder.

Life was hard then in comparison to today's standards but are people any happier now?
Weeman
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 2nd Jun 2019, 12:23pm) *
Life was hard then in comparison to today's standards but are people any happier now?

I've got agree SKL, it's all relative isn't it? Youngsters these days have probably a much harder time than we had in the 40's/50's/60's simply because live was far more basic back then - not to mention much more fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.