Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Station + Shuttle
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
Rabbie
If the weather is decent tonight should be witness to an interesting event.

The Shuttle has now seperated from ISS.

So, if you get out and it is clear, you will be able to see the Space Station, with the Shuttle trailing a wee bit behind it, both in the same trajectory.

Here are the details to help locate position.

Satellite_ISS_STS 119

Time zone : UTC +0:00
Passover period : 26/03/2009 19:00_21:00 UCT +0.00

Conditions : Maximum sun elevation = -5 deg
: Minimum sat elevation = 5 deg
:Solar illumination required

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Satellite Azm Elv Mag Range Sun Azm Sun Elv
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26/03/2009 19:58:47 STS 119 263.4 5.0 ? 1684 291.5 -11.0
26/03/2009 20:02:15 STS 119 197.9 24.9 ? 757 292.3 -11.5
26/03/2009 20:03:56 STS 119 150.3 15.4 ? 1048 292.6 -11.7

26/03/2009 19:59:24 ISS 263.6 5.0 1.7 1696 291.6 -11.1
26/03/2009 20:02:54 ISS 197.9 25.0 -0.3 761 292.4 -11.6
26/03/2009 20:04:35 ISS 150.5 15.4 0.3* 1051 292.8 -11.8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This event is worth seeing, so get wrapped up and git oot with a fu hip flask, might need something tae keep ye warm!

Look towards south west on the stroke o eight (20:00) local, and you should be able to see them both.
Rab-oldname
I'd like to have read your post Rabbie, but these Google popups block the view!!!!!!!!
Rabbie
Aye Rab, they are playing noo and again up wi me too. I think the the bb code on yon table was buggerin aroond with it.

Ach it was, I jist posted table in codebox, an it played up, so took it oot an its ok noo.

Was trying to post table in tidy format, but this place wus having nane it, for some reason it willnea allow mair than a couple o spaces and crams it awe the gither.

Mibe I am missing something rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
Now that it's all readable, Rabbie, the snow clouds have filled the sky again. It was clear an hour ago but that's it now.
Nice bit of info tho'. Thanks.
Rabbie
Clear as a bell here tonight, just gone over. Amazing sight!
TeeHeeHee
Glad one of us got to see it Rabbie. What telescope(s) have you got ?
Rabbie
Maist o the time, jist the Mk 1 eyeball and some bog standard radio gear to patch in to satellite downlinks.

<~Listening oot fur wee green men!

Also use wide field, low ress, large aperture binos 10 * 90. Just dandy for viewing large diffuse objects.

And for anyting a bit deeper, ah huv a gander at Hubbles Images! They are usually free, if you ken where tae look!
Rab-oldname
Without a doubt, this is the best tracking website for all the satellites and space station etc. It shows you instantly what is right over your location - or will be soon as everything is in real time. See how much stuff is careering around up there - HERE
Rabbie
Aye Rab, yons a good site. Ye really cannea go wrang with NASA, wealth of info on thier site.

There is a lot more up their than ye wid think. Even more now, as 2 satellites smacked into each other, so now therr is a cloud of debris floating aroont.

On the last shuttle mission, wan of the astronauts, while outside doing a wee joab, drapped her handbag.. err tool bag.

It's still up thier skiteing and tumbling aroond, it can be see with a wee pair of binos.
TeeHeeHee
And you know what them women keep in their wee bags. Enuff to poke an unwary astronaut's eye out.
Rabbie
Ah widdea dare look in a wumins handbag, I heard rumours o wit they might keep in them.

On wan occasion a wumin wis going through customs..

Na, better no go there. That wans fur The Pigs' Bar!

biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
Hi Rabbie & Rab.

did you catch this jolly green giant:-

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/04feb_greencomet.htm

Rabbie
Oh yes!

Thats a wee cracker.

It's great to see some young people still have the inspiration to look upwards. Uncle Partick, wid drink to that, no that he needs an excuse for that.

Its's a mystery.

Somewhere out there, there is the answer.

/ran 10*10^100

In other words,

The Infinate Monkey Theorum, may be a useful analogy to explain such large odds.

This relates to the idea that a bunch o boozed up chimps, poking away, using thier noses, for an infinate amoont of time, will eventually type oot a correctly spelt Conservative Manifesto, that will please Mr Charisma Broon and his lickspittles.

Ye get the idea., rolleyes.gif

Always look to the horizon, ye never know whats goona come over it. An watch yer six while yer aboot it, cannea be to careful these days!

laugh.gif
stuarty
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 27th Mar 2009, 08:50pm) *
Ah widdea dare look in a wumins handbag, I heard rumours o wit they might keep in them.

On wan occasion a wumin wis going through customs..

Na, better no go there. That wans fur The Pigs' Bar!

biggrin.gif
RABBIE a was a pigs bar punter and a used to compete with the worst of them the dance of the flaming a--=S and drinking oot the firemans boot bolk but a loved it in there at brize better than in the lounge as you couldny really go in in your uniform . laugh.gif get them down you zulu warrior
Rabbie
Git em doon, ya Zulu Cheif, Cheif, Cheif!

And on wid come the Sqn WObbly Officur , Flt Sgts .then the Trade Chiefies, that wid clear the bar!

Awe Stuarty, they wus crarking days.

Massa zimmba, zimmbawa!

Hugs **

Up fer a firemans lift, yon is a classic!
stuarty
ma ex was qeens flight fireman and a had loads a firemans lifts from ma man musclebound and it would have been my 29th wedding anniversary the day if a was still married to him but no matter life is a mystery tomrrows history a only have today and a loved my sing song days in the pigs bar did you ever come a cross a Jt TCWcalled happy (robert) halliday he was ma pal in the RAF AT BRIZE he was a champion go cart racer TCW were a great bunch a guys anaw a must admit a got on better way the laddies as a was brought up way 3 big brothers and ma da was the one that looked after me as ma wee maw was poorly with manic depression sorry am mauddling badly today a suppose am remembering the wedding laugh.gif
Rabbie
Na Stuart, ah didnea think I crossed paths with Happy.

Dinnea go gitting yerself aw doon now, keep yer pecker up.

Huv a couple o wee nippy sweeties and think of all the good times and laughs you have. As WRAF, you wid have hud plenty! You lassie whurr worse than the lads.

The posh bar at Kinloss NAAFI was called "The White Heather." Cannea recall the name of the Pig's Bar there, at the min. But it prolly will pop back up when I dont try to remember.

Mare that once I have woke up in morning in the bogs there. Wus to far to stagger back to the block.

The WRAF block there, was surrounded in barbed wire, and was floodlight all around like a prison block, ah heard that wusnea to keep us oot, it wiz to keep you loat in!

Take it easy noo

ohmy.gif
stuarty
A was up in kinloss in 1979 on dettatchment a hated it as a had just got engaged to ma ex hubby at brize and he was posted to benson when a was up in kinloss do you think the RAF knew we were incompatible???????trying to keep us apart but we did get wed and twin boys were the best thing to come out of my marriage and we did have great times but life deals the cards and things happen for a reason rolleyes.gif
Rabbie
Jist a wee thought, a new record has been set in Space exploration.

With the recent docking of STS 127 and ISS, there are now 13 PoB aboard the ISS.

Ah wonder if there will be a big pish up on there tomorrow?!

Just heard one of the ISS cludgies has packed in and Astronauts are having to use the Russkies "Suite." Ooooo.... laugh.gif

ISS Cludgie u/s
Elma
For the first time ever there are 2 Canadians on the Space Station at one time. Julie Payette and Robert Thirsk are flying the flag for us. smile.gif
Rabbie
Here is really good app for predicting ISS + countless other satellite passes. Orbitron, search for it, download and install.

Can be a wee bit tricky to find, but don't give up.

Basically enter your coords (lat /long), update the keps (TLE's) orbital elements, away go, have fun.

If you need a hand figuring or explaination on how to use any aspect of this great wee app, give me a poke.

If you prefer an easier approach.

See Heavens Above!

Watch for Iridium passes with a flare, they are awesome.

Only 4 more shuttle missions remaining, end of an era approaches.
Cash-Ma-Giro
Mibbie I should have posted this in here huh.gif

If you would like to see the International Space Station's (ISS) Assembly diagram, assembled piece by piece flick over to This Thread

Rabbie
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) –

Space Exploration Technologies aborted a test firing of its Falcon 9 rocket on Tuesday, in what was to be a key milestone in its quest to fly cargo -- and eventually astronauts -- to the International Space Station.

The test was aborted two seconds before engine ignition at the privately owned company's Cape Canaveral, Florida, launch site, where the Falcon 9 rocket is being prepared for a company-sponsored demonstration flight this spring.

During the test, flames and small puffs of smoke could be seen around the base of the rocket via a NASA video camera.

In a statement Tuesday night, Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX, said the flames were from the burn-off of liquid oxygen and kerosene and that the Falcon's engines didn't ignite.

"Given that this was our first abort event on this pad, we decided to scrub for the day to get a good look at the rocket before trying again. Everything looks great at first glance," spokeswoman Emily Shanklin said in an e-mail to Reuters.

The rocket is perched on a refurbished oceanside launch pad at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, just south of the space shuttle launch pads at the Kennedy Space Center. The motor firing was expected to be rescheduled for later this week.

California-based SpaceX is owned and operated by Internet entrepreneur Elon Musk. It is building launch vehicles and spacecraft to take over the job of delivering cargo to the space station, which has up to now been government-run.

It holds NASA contracts for 15 Falcon 9 flights -- three test flights and 12 cargo resupply missions to the space station -- worth about $1.9 billion.

Options for additional flights would boost the cargo-delivery contract to more than $3 billion.

U.S. President Barack Obama, who plans to hold a summit on space in Florida next month, wants to add $6 billion to NASA's budget over the next five years to spur development of space taxis that can transport astronauts to and from the space station.

With the retirement of the space shuttle fleet later this year, NASA already has turned over station crew transportation to Russia, which charges the United States about $51 million per seat for rides on its Soyuz rockets.

SpaceX shares NASA's commercial rocket development and cargo delivery services with Virginia-based Orbital Science Corp, which plans to debut its Taurus II rocket and Cygnus spacecraft before April 2011.
Cash-Ma-Giro
Is this of interest to you Rabbie.

Atlantis to Orbit.
Click to view attachment
Cash-Ma-Giro
Edge-on Spiral Galaxy.

The spiral galaxy spans about 100 thousand light-years and is seen almost exactly edge-on from our perspective. About 30 million light-years distant in the constellation Andromeda, looks a lot like our Milky Way. At first glance, it has a flat, thin, galactic disk and a central bulge cut along the middle by regions of dark obscuring dust.

Click to view attachment

Rabbie
Thanks Cash, yeap anything related to Astrophyics is always welcome, wi me anyway!

Top piccie looks like a time lapse scuttle launch. Quite prolly STS 130. I missed oot on that one. Typical, night launches are amazing.

It may be interesting to note the launch trajectory, its not straight upski like yer thunderbird 1, but rather a curve which gradually flattens out as altitude increases. These rocket geeks ain't daft they also make use of the earths rotational velocity to assist the launch. Thats why many launch pads are located near equatoral regions.

The earths rotational velocity is doddle to work oot, jist whack yer latitude into this wee formula, use yer trig tables, square paper an nea calculators.

v=(24900/24)*COS(lat) mph

The second is an image of NGC 891. This wan was discovered by Herschel in late 1700's, its aboot 10th mag, so a moderate sized telescope is needed to view it.

It is interesting to note the amount of light obscured by dustdust; also the neighbouring galaxies. Wit you are seeing is NGC 891 in the region 30 million years ago, jist a wee blimp in time.

Here are a couple of Hubble shots of the wee beauty.

Infra red.

Click to view attachment

Visual

Click to view attachment
TeeHeeHee
WIVES CLUB in SPACE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...ng-mission.html

ISS passes over the Shuttle shortly before take off.
Click to view attachment

Three women on their way for a wee blether wi' one of their mates ...
Click to view attachment

and a girls night out ...
Click to view attachment
wee davy
Is this the last flight, guys?
TeeHeeHee
There's another three.
One to bring the women back ...
... and two to fetch their luggage tongue.gif biggrin.gif
wee davy
HAHAHAHAHA thats a belter!
TeeHeeHee
4 women on board the International Space Station and suddenly there's new furniture, new bedroom, new freezer and we're waiting for the carpets and curtains next week tongue.gif biggrin.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...ce-station.html
ashfield
Aye, but who is going to take the garbage out rolleyes.gif At least they won't have to worry about the toilet seat getting left up ohmy.gif
TeeHeeHee
laugh.gif laugh.gif
wee davy
,... and the bedroom converts into a 'powder room' for sponge baths - ur they huvvin wan o' them 'pyjama parties' ur sumthin? wonder if theres a full beauty salon oan the next wan!
carmella
Not only is there to be a Beauty Salon, but there must be a Nail Salon tae as well!
wee davy
carmella - its meant tae be an International SPACE Centre - no a new bliddy shopping centre!! laugh.gif
carmella
laugh.gif Good thing then that I'm not going, cause I would need the Nail Salon as well as the Beauty wan LOL, and a nice shoppe selling bags and shoes would be an added bonus fur me.
TeeHeeHee
Couple of photos taken from on board the ISS recently by Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi just before passing through the upper limits of the Aurora, about 100km higher than the ISS's orbit of 400km.
The Green glow in the picture is at a height of almost 100km (60 miles) where particles entering the atmosphere collide with oxygen and nitrogen atoms. The red glow is the upper regions of the Aurora at about 500km (300 miles) so the ISS passed through the Aurora at about 400km (240 miles) orbit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TeeHeeHee
The space shuttle Atlantis started off on it's last mission after almost 25years and 115 million miles of service.

STS-132 Mission Patch.

Click to view attachment

We have lift off.

Click to view attachment

History of Atlantis Missions
Tennscot
Driving out to my Grandsons in Daytona Beach, Watched the Last flight of the shuttle program heading into the heavens. the one before the last one came in over our place and rattled the whole house. The Russians will take up the next US Astronauts.
TeeHeeHee
Tennscot, your windows will be rattled a couple more times.
The next, and last two, shuttle missions are scheduled for Sept and Nov of this year and will be the last flights for both the Discovery shuttle and the Endeavour shuttle.
This present mission STS132 will deliver the Russian built Rassvet Mini-Research Module1 (MRM1)and is only the second Russian module to be delivered by the shuttle.The MRM1 will provide extra storage space and a new docking port for the Russian Soyuz and Progress space craft.
We tend nowadays to take all this for granted that teams of men and women are sent up to the ISS and that their lives are at risk from the very moment that they are strapped in. I remember being informed by a Phantom pilot who took me up for a jolly that I would have 16 tons of screaming aluminium strapped to your ass.
Imagine what these guys have strapped to them and from the moment the ignition switches are thrown they are in the laps of the Gods; and we know how temperamental they can oft times be.
The crew of STS132: Atlantis.
Click to view attachment
The Crew of STS 134 Endeavour.
Click to view attachment
Among the crew of STS133 Discovery, the last Shuttle flight, will be the last woman to be brought to the International Space Station (ISS) by Shuttle:-
Nicole P Stott.
Click to view attachment
The link given in the previous post when opened at the Home page gives a lot of personal info over the crews, their careers and previous missions.
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines.
Rab-oldname
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Apr 2010, 03:17pm) *
Couple of photos taken from on board the ISS recently by Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi just before passing through the upper limits of the Aurora, about 100km higher than the ISS's orbit of 400km.
The Green glow in the picture is at a height of almost 100km (60 miles) where particles entering the atmosphere collide with oxygen and nitrogen atoms. The red glow is the upper regions of the Aurora at about 500km (300 miles) so the ISS passed through the Aurora at about 400km (240 miles) orbit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks like we should be calling you Professor or Doctor, Tomi! ohmy.gif Do you mind which?
Rab-oldname
Surely its time for its MOT test?
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Rab @ 16th May 2010, 09:03pm) *
Looks like we should be calling you Professor or Doctor, Tomi! ohmy.gif Do you mind which?

Patient Tomi would be nearer the mark, Rab. rolleyes.gif
TeeHeeHee
End of an era.

Discovery has finally, after months of delay, got off on it's last mission. This is the shuttle which carried the Hubble telescope into space.

Have a look at it's history here.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogaller...dia_id=21356981

Click to view attachment
Dunvegan
QUOTE (carmella @ 9th Apr 2010, 04:44am) *
Not only is there to be a Beauty Salon, but there must be a Nail Salon tae as well!

Space fur 42 pair a' shoes????
Rabbie
Launch of last ever Space Scuttle.

Can view it live here on NASA telly :NASA TELLY

30% Chance of Thunder storms in launch area.

Bit of a pisser having a scrub after getting strapped in hehe.
TeeHeeHee
The end of an era, Rabbie. Sorry tae see it go but time marches on. Hope it has a safe return.
Dunvegan
Click to view attachment
This the official NASA potrait of Andy Thomas, the one and only Australian to go into space on the shuttle. It was taken by my wifes brother Dennis Montalbetti and also hangs in the national gallery in Canberra. I was given a copy as a gift from my brother in law.
Rabbie
Aye Tomi, end of another era, remember watching the first launch whilst getting merrily bladdered during yet another "sports day" beer call in the line shed.

The Elmers are looking at other ways of funding space exploration now farming contracts oot intae the private aerospace sector. Pretty good idea financially, providing the technical expertise is there, nea cowboy builders, but we ken the USA is full o' cowboys and that's jist the politicians.

Ronnie Reagan was the best cowboy ever, couple him with Maggie, it's a wonder we are awe still here, of could it be due to them that we are still here? Hmmm, thats wan fur Question Time, me thinks.

Should be another yank launch vechicle in service c2015, so they will be bumming lifts aff the Meercats up tae the Space Station for the forseeable future.

Low orbit is so naff these days. Thankfully the other eye on on the bigger picture in getting peeps back on the moon and further afield. I am saving up fur my ticket aff this place, I feel I jist don't belang, ever get that feeling hehe.

The technology is a bit lacking at the min as to make this process a wee bit more cost effcicient, but gie it time and if the elmers can keep their nebs oot other peeples wars / oil resources they may be able to save up a few bob.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.