Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photies O' Oor Grannies
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
RonD
For those of you who are interested in genealogy and there are a few, I thought we could share photos of some of those ancestors with stories. Also if you are having trouble with reading a certicate then maybe others can see it in a different light. T
his my grandmother Jean Hampton nee Wilson. she was born in Cluny, Deeside , Aberdeenshire, his father was stone dyker. They had three daughters. After the first daughter the doctor told her not to have any more children. Two years later she had twins, one of whom was my mother. She died of complications ten days later.
Heather

This is my dad's mum, my granny Helen Curran, nee McGuire

She was born in Calcutta where her dad Thoms McGuire was stationed with the British Army.

This picture was taken in her back garden in 35 Hamiltonhill Road, Glasgow.
She had very long hair and always wore it in one long pigtail.
witshisname
Great Topic Ron,
I am very Interested in Geneology and would love to find out more about both sides of My family.
Unfortunaely most of my elders have passed on or the ones still alive are keeping Quiet,or don't know or don't care about where we all came from.
I've done the Usual searching online for Surname meanings & where the names Originated,but having done that I didn't find out anything new.
Here is a pic of My Great Grandmother on my Mum's side.
RonD
Post where you're stuck, Bob and maybe myself or others can help. There are a couple very good amateur family historians on this site.
Java
Oh wow, that's a crackin photy Bob, ah love that...biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, no-one in my family seems to know where older photos went, apart from this one which is my great grampa, my grampa, his sister and brother and my great granny...ah love the studio poses...laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Anne1
My Grandmother Catherine rown[nee Sally] with my Dad Philip Brown 1914
Anne1
My Great Grand Parents, James and Catherine Sally with their 9 children C my Grandmother Catherine is the young woman in Dark dress this was taken about 1906/7

Java
Oh yer awfy like yer granny Anne...biggrin.gif

Brilliant photies, absolutely brilliant biggrin.gif
Anne1
My Maternal Grandparents, Margaret and Peter Halfpenny[nee Ferns]

the brauns
This is a photie of my Dad (baby), my Grandpa, Great Grandma, and Great, Great, Grandma. I believe it was taken in 1914. I am doing quite well researching the family history until pre 1859 when the family seems to have been in Ireland. I am having a terrible time with the Irish records!Click to view attachment
RonD
All great pics. Java, whit's Pa Broon dae'in in that row boat? biggrin.gif Anne, there was a family in our scheme named Sally in Auchinairn. Braun, it's a common problem that Glaswegians have is to try jump that little bit of water called the Irishs Sea.
the brauns
Auch well, mebbe one day, we will all find the answers we are looking for... I have found a huge gap in our history between a marriage in Newtownards, Ireland in 1859 and a freeholder in 1923. The answers have to exist somewhere....
RonD
Braun: is the time period between 1859 and 1923 in Ireland or Scotland?
the brauns
Ron, it's between 1859 and 1823. Sorry for the wrong data. I typed a 9 instead of an 8. The 1823 and 1813 lists show a freeholder with our family first and last name also in Newtownards., Ireland. I can't seem to go backward from 1859 to find other relatives.
RonD
It is a tough go braun, to find them in Ireland. I worked on the family tree for 30 years and finally found the birthplace of two of the family but nothing beyond that.

Here's pics of Dempsey grandparents, Edward Dempsey b. 1873 in Slamannan, and Sarah
Bon(n)ar b. 1881 in Hamilton. The picture appears to be have taken in 1942 as the young girl was my cousin who born in 1941. It appears the individual pictures of the grandparents were joined. They both died in 1948, the year of my birth.
stuarty
a dont have many pics of my grannies or grandas a will need to fish them out and a dont even know what my granda mccormack looks like as a have never seen a picture of him but a love seeing all these photies great stuff
Heather
Braun, I spent hours in the Mitchell Library going through records and got nowhere. On of the library assisstants told me to go to a place in Belfast where all the old records are held. I can't remember the name of the place as I have not yet gone there.

At a Session on tracing Ancestors in my local Library, we were told the British deliberately shredded a lot of Irish records and others were lost in the Easter Uprising. She warned us it was very difficult to trace Irish Ancestors.

We know our g' g'parents came from Ireland but don't know where. That' s why I went to the Mitchell, to see if I could find out anything about them and what County they came from.

We know our g'g'father maried in Glasgow then vanished off the face of the earth. We think he went back to Ireland when his wife died leaving him with a 6yrs old son, our g'father.
brian432
Click to view attachment
My Maternal Grandparents and family 1923. My mother is the one on the left wearing the hat.
George Muir
Click to view attachment
My paternal grandfather William Muir. He lived at 1 Milton Street, Glasgow.
My grandmother Marion (Murn) nee Thomson had died in the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, so there weren't many pictures of her.

Click to view attachment
My maternal great grandmother, I forget what her first name was, but she lived in Stonehaven. The boy must be related, but I never heard just who he was.
RonD
Northern Ireland records should be at the P.R.O.N.I public record office of Northern Ireland. The republic's should be in Dublin. Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864. There were records for Church of Ireland members beginning 1845 . Much of the records were burnt during the civil war in 1922 when there was a battle held in the Four Courts building of Dublin. Also, the government of the day in it's wisdom destroyed old cenus returns during the first world war to recycle the paper. GRRRRR. The north and the south both have realized that there are a lot of gen tourists and are doing a lot to centralize what records are avaailble. Each of the counties in ireland has a gen group. They would be worth exploring on the internet.
RonD
George! I ahve a siste rof my great great grandmother who married a Beattie. They were from the Stonehaven area. The women originally came from Arbuthnott.
stratson
When I was researching my Irish Roots I too went to the Mitchell. No joy, however on my visit picked up a brochure advising "The Church of The Latter Day Saints," held Irish records. I had to phone appt, as the room is only open 3 times a week. I got the info. I was searching and sent to Belfast for my g/parents marraige certificate. When I got it, about six months later f(after sending a few reminders(I had sent fee at start for certificate) Had to get someone to interpret the writing.
Within a day of all being done I wrote to the editor of The Ulster Gazette stating who my g/g/parents were. It was published the first Thursday and to my amazement got e-mail asking me to phone a number in Ireland.The person was another g/g/daughter.
She asked when I was coming home, like it was me who left Ireland, I found out on my visit to Ireland my cousin had first gone to the village priest who had records and told her it was all true.
Sadly no photos of them. Our fathers were cousins. We have visited each other and keep in touch all the time. What a shock when I met all my kin. at least 80 of them.
If you Google Latter Day Saints Glasgow, the church is off Great Western Rd. you will get details of phone number etc. Good Luck. smile.gif

Here is address for Church.>>>35 JULIAN AVENUE.
GLASGOW.
G12 OPW

If you go to the site there is a map for directions,
Java
Ah, jist shows ye whit perseverance brings biggrin.gif

George, those photies are magic...priceless...thanks for showin them biggrin.gif
Heather
Stratson that was a very interesting story and all the better that you found your relations.

I knew the LDS had one of the best Ancestor Tracing Lists but I did not know there was a base in Glasgow.
Thank you for letting us know that.

Our problem is that our g'parents although Irish, were married in Glasgow and their Marriage Certificate does not say where in Ireland they came from.
stratson
Heather, I have the same problem with my maternal g/parents. It is so frustrating. They married in Glasgow although I was led to believe they were Irish.
I put my grandma's maiden name and names of parents in a search and up pops a marraige with appropriate names, her parents married in Glasgow, no trace of birth certificate for grandma or death certificates for the parents. Like a brick wall, can go no further.

Fabulous seeing all your photos of g/parents, you can see resemblances to everyone in their family line. You are all so lucky. smile.gif

Heather, my Mum 's maiden name was McGuire, born 1894.
RonD
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records available on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have a look at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also find out where the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.
RonD
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:39pm) *
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records available on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have a look at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also find out where the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.

the brauns
We have the same problem in our family. My great grandparents married in Ireland in 1859 and went to Glasgow, and their last child was born in 1862. The children were all born in Glasgow. My great grandfather disappeared between 1862 and 1872 when my great grandmother remarried. Her marriage cert state that he was deceased but try as I might, no record of him dying exists!

I have tried Scotland's People, PRONI, etc. but to no avail. Perhaps he still roams the earth smile.gif
stratson
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:39pm) *
Up to about 1875, there are whatever birth and death records avaialble on www.familysearch.org, which is the LDS (Latter Day Saints - Mormons) website. Have alook at the Internatrional Genealogical Index. You can also foind out thwere the nearest LDS library is in your part of the world. Although I am not a member of their church I was volunteer at one of their libraries in the 80's in Toronto. They have great resources, and it is a library they will not proselityze when you attend.

Rond, were you guarding the records, they are very strict about the appt time also you cannot just walk-in. Must make appointment. They have the microfische to enable reading.
You wonder how the mormons acquired all those Irish records, I am grate ful that they did. smile.gif
RonD
Heather: It is a hit and miss. Sometimes some families are very fortunate to have the census taker write a specific palce in ireland as a birthplace rather than just Ireland as so many have. If you are lucky enough to have an ancestor or a sibling of an ancestor marry, die or be born in 1855. It will usually give your the place of birth of the individuals and in the case of a birth in Scotland it offers the birthplaces of the parents. However, that only happened in year 1855 which was the commencement to the civil registration in Scotland
RonD
In our library stratson. there were only so many readers (machines) for the micro fische and the micro films. The readers for the fische cards were for the indices birth and marriages and for reference material. The microfilms were usually usually ordered from Salt Lake City (for example, say one wanted the baptisms for New Monkland) when they arrived the client was called and they then booked at reader for a time when they were available.
George Muir
Hey Ron, perhaps we are related!!!! unsure.gif My mother got all the ancestry details of the Beatties from the national archive place in Edinburgh. If I can find it I must see if there's an Arbuthnott connection. My grandma Beattie married a Birrell and lived all her married life in Markinch, Fife.
stratson
Rond, Julian Place only had 4 places where a client could sit.. I got use of microfische film for the afternoon. Fortunately I very quickly got my info. with the help of attendant. Excellent chap. Gerry was his name.
A very strange thing happened that afternoon. There was another woman who was leaving same time as I. We got the bus into town together. She was doing research for a chap who was visiting from Australia. Naturally I told her I had 4 brothers living in Oz. (My brother Neil had then recently passed. ) I asked where he came from, she said Bellambi, same street as my late brother Neil. She asked for my phone number. That night I got a call, the guy was my brother's neighbour.He was at Neil's funeral and knew the rest of the family with the exception of Richard, who resided in Cronulla,He saw h Richard at the funeral. Small world, isn't it.

Possibilities are endless, may turn out you and George are distant relations. ohmy.gif
Lennox
My Granny Fulton & My Dad as a wee boy Aww
stratson
Lennox, your Grannie is a nice looking woman, looks quite young. Must be great seeing your Dad at an early age, nice left parting in his hair. It's lovely seeing everyone's g/parents. Wish I had photos of mine.
Perhaps I could post a photo of my parents taken in 1926, mother was pregnant with my brother Charles. There was to be another two children before I came along. smile.gif
RonD
Sure post your mother's pic stratson, she's somebody's Granny biggrin.gif Besides we're a' wonderin' where ye goat yer good looks fae?? wub.gif
Heather
Ron, now we will really go daft posting our parents picture's as they were g'parents and in my mum's case a gt'g'mother.

My mum & dad, taken during the 2nd world war.

Mum & Dad on top of the Empire State Building. Taken sometime in the 1970s
witshisname
Here is a pic of My Grandparents along with my Two Uncles & My Mum at the beach circa 1935
stratson
What a lovely family photo. So lucky to have them. smile.gif
Anne1
My Mum & Dad
Anne1
My Mum
Anne1
My Dad in the Scots Guards
annie laurie
What lovely photos of all your Parents,
Anne1 I love that dress your Mum is wearing,
Heather, what good Genes you have inhertitated and i think you said your parents lived to a good age as well {90'S}

Unfortunately both my Parents died young Dad 44 MUm 62
Dont have to many pictures either

Thanks for sharing them they are all beautiful treasure them,
stuarty
anne1 great pics thanks wub.gif
the brauns
These photos are great! I'm enjoying the people and the fashions. It's great fun to dig through the old ones and post them here.
Heather
Lovely picture's everyone.

Wow Anne, so your parents were bikers.

Annie my dad was 69ys old when he died and mum was 95yrs old when she died 14 months ago. She could still sing like a linty. smile.gif
stratson
Lovin' the photos Annewan, your parents are a mass of class, good lookin' too. biggrin.gif

All the photos are wonderful. As Annie says, you were lucky to have known them and had their presence for so long..

Lovin' the photos Annewan, your parents are a mass of class, good lookin' too. biggrin.gif

All the photos are wonderful. As Annie says, you were lucky to have known them and had their presence for so long..
Heather
Anne I'm studying tha dress you mum is wearing.

I have a dress almost identical except it does not have the frill part. Mine's is also long and it's blue & white.
possilboy
a photo my great granda in possl on his bread run
peter-f
brill photy's everbody keep posting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.