Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Anti- Rangers Media Agenda?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Pages: 1, 2
GG
I read with interest an article in Bleacher Report (a website where fans are invited to 'act as journalists' and write articles about their club/team/sport) in which one Rangers fan writes passionately about what he sees as an anti-Rangers campaign in the media, where journalists "hide behind newspaper columns" to create and accentuate negativity around the famous Glasgow football club.
When we object to the indecent description of being labelled “huns” we are being “pedantic”. I remember a few years ago BBC radio presenter Lesley Riddoch being incensed for having to issue an apology for use of the term on her radio show.

Perhaps she thought it was her divine right to be offensive to Rangers supporters...after all they are the dregs of society, or so the media would have everyone believe. Riddoch’s employers, BBC Scotland, have however, allowed that term to be used by their broadcasters since then despite being aware of the offence it causes. Let’s not forget—it's only Rangers fans we are talking about here.

Anna Smith told her readers that amongst other things "Rangers are now reaping the whirlwind of hate that was nurtured by themselves" as well as “Rangers Football Club have fostered bigotry for generations” and the ace in the pack...”Rangers cultivated sectarianism”.

You can read the full article here:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/108800-...orget/show_full

GG.
big al
If anything,looking from the outside into the Scottish media from my viewpoint in England,it sometimes seems as though it was an Anti Celtic campaign that was being waged - this was also something that the BBC Scotland sports shows did seem to have for some time up until recent times. Often when I look at some of the Scottish press it would seem as though Celtic are on the receiving end of this type of thing - I am sure there are plenty of statistics to prove that this is not the case but you remember the impressions that you receive and that is my view of what some of the press have been reflecting over time.

I do not believe that there is an Anti Rangers campaign on the go at this time - there may well be some backlash from fans or people purporting to be fans which is being seen in websites - this may be a reaction to the poor performances or results or the direction of the club in the last year or two - it would be difficult to believe that, as some have suggested, a campaign by Celtic supporters posing as Rnager supporters and writing into these sites is one solution.

I cannot be the only person who believes that the amount of space and time that is given over to the fortunes of football teams in the media as a whole in this country is totally disproportionate to the value that they add to our lives - I have been a Celtic and Man Utd supporter for longer than I can remember and have never liked Rangers or Liverpool for that matter in equal proportions but can equally understand the dislike that is generated towards my clubs from both of the opposing sets of fans - that is the nature of football rightly or wrongly - I have never liked the religious differences that are emphasised and supported by both of the main Scottish clubs and some of the English clubs as well over the years and the type of mentality that that has generated through the different organisations that have been associated with the clubs - I was unlucky enough to have visited Ibrox at Christmas time to view the battle between Rangers and Celtic and was appalled at the language amongst other things from many of the women supporters on either side during and after the match - the rest of it was as expected - just a huge bear pit of aggressive nonsense and vile language and chanting and singing - this is the same thing that can be found at most grounds today - I will not take my son to any of these matches while this is what you pay to hear.

My point is that the clubs should bear responsibility for much of the tribalism which passes for football support as commented upon in the report - you can have all the initiatives about banning anti sectarianism and the like from football - but until all clubs physically tackle the problem on the terraces and stop pandering to their own supporters by playing music which can inflame people and try to take the religious aspects out of the business of being a fan and attending the match and chanting much of the nonsense that goes on then people will look at the way that clubs are regulated and make comments like those in the report.

I do not think that the Rangers management are any worse or better than the Celtic management in the way that they have ignored some aspects of this problem over the years - I would dearly love to attend a match between these teams at either stadium and not feel that I needed to be careful or feel under threat as I did at Ibrox two weeks ago and have also done at Parkhead on occasions.

If there is an Anti Rangers campaign being waged then lets hope that it makes people thinks about things and change attitudes - the same obviously goes for the other side who I support.
hopalong cassidy
Rangers fans see the media as anti Rangers, Celtic fans see them as anti Celtic. Remember the Daily Record frontpage with 4 Celtic players under the headline 'Thugs and Thieves' Remember the Sunday mail with hearse at the Stadium?
pumps100
I've already made this point on another thread regarding The Evening Times/Glasgow Herald apparent bias towards all things green & white. I am not making this up.

If you look at column inches of these papers it is clear of the bias. It is well known that the present management are very close to Glasgow District Council (GDC). Indeed it is said that the ET organ is tantamount to an in-house journal of the Council. The rather partisan make-up of the staff and management at GDC is well known - hence the fact that the hoops are seen by many to be the in house fav team of GDC.

I could be completely wrong though.

Regards

Ian
petalpeeps
I am so thankful i HATE football . I have said for years , that people with such passion should maybe put it to good use ,and , try and make the world a better place to live , or concentrate on raising money for childrens organisations, make their passion useful instead of destructive. There are people dying every day of hunger , or brutality in other countries around the world , so why so much passion about kicking a ball up and down a field , how monotonise . The wages that some of these football players recieve , is in my opinion obscene . mad.gif I know that some do do good works for charity , but in my opinion a game , as that is what it is , a game is not worth the amount of bigotry , hatred and divide between people that this game has caused . mad.gif
pumps100
QUOTE (petalpeeps @ 11th Jan 2009, 08:37pm) *
I am so thankful i HATE football . I have said for years , that people with such passion should maybe put it to good use ,and , try and make the world a better place to live , or concentrate on raising money for childrens organisations, make their passion useful instead of destructive.....

With all due respect I don't think your post has anything to do with the topic of this thread i.e. bias in football reporting

Ian
hopalong cassidy
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 11th Jan 2009, 04:25pm) *
I've already made this point on another thread regarding The Evening Times/Glasgow Herald apparent bias towards all things green & white. I am not making this up.

If you look at column inches of these papers it is clear of the bias. It is well known that the present management are very close to Glasgow District Council (GDC). Indeed it is said that the ET organ is tantamount to an in-house journal of the Council. The rather partisan make-up of the staff and management at GDC is well known - hence the fact that the hoops are seen by many to be the in house fav team of GDC.

I could be completely wrong though.

Regards

Ian

You are
DOLKIN
we should be more interested in the part the media played in our current credit crunch and how they had no football to write of in the summer and kicked the arse out the house industry and now revel in our misery to sell papers the only bonus for me is now there having to make redundancies shoot themselves in the ass
weelew
I think that most glasgow newspapers use the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic to sell newspapers .Most reporters dont even know the history of these clubs and just think them as arch enemies ,which of course they are but they make matters worse by seeming to either side that they are siding with the other side if you get what i mean.There is bigotry and sectarianism on both sides and it will be hard to stamp out completely,but if newspapers stop making it seem that they favour either side then that will go a long way to help it .
joycewilson
Hi all...have a look at the play SINGIN IM NO A BILLY HES A TIM......worth having a google at...this play sold out in and around Glasgow last year and tickets are on sale again for this year.....takes a look at two fans who believe they know it all...full of laughs patter and shows most aint even got a clue what its all about....great acting good show and must see... x
Kentigern
The only "agenda" is to sell copy. Both clubs play the media card and the 4th estate are in such dire straits they'll print the lies that arent true.

Certain journo's have personal leanings, however their subs and desks dictate the tripe to be spewed forth to the bewildered.

There are few fearless sports guys left, either move to Engerland or take Murdochs shilling mad.gif
Dawn Primarolo
As an Englishman form Hertfordshire, I dont know why there is a even a debate, it is a fact that the scottish mhedia are biased against Rangers.
auldbutcher
this side did this, that side does that ,its cawed paranoia folks , lets hae ah wee sing song ''whit the world needs noo is luv sweet luv etc etc '' lol ach soot yersels lol
Tommy Kennedy
As I've said on another thread: Sport to-day is like war; it's never your team that fouls/plays dirty, it's the other side.

Many English fans are anti- foreigners yet some of the top clubs have not only 'Foreign managers/players but are now 'Foreign owned'!
auldbutcher
yep true tommy ah iwies get ah giggle when ah hear the english commentator give it ''another good win fer this english team in the competition''if its man.u or chelsea or l'pool yer lucky if theres 2 english players on the park fer each team an here me thinkin wearin blinkers was an expression fae the sport o kings dry.gif
Stairheedrammy
What a lot of nonsense- the Scottish media turned a blind eye to Rangers sectarian signing policy for a hundred years and have only made issue of sectarian songs since EUFA intervened. When did you last see a cracked Rangers crest on the front page of a Scottish paper and why have Celtic employees won so many libel cases against the Scottish meida in recent years. Get real, this paranoia has only begun for Rangers fans in response to their teams recent demise
jimmyd
A interesting stat , auldbutcher , a recent meeting of Arsenal and Celtic , there was one Englishman on the park ..... an he played for Celtic .. laugh.gif laugh.gif
wombat
QUOTE (jimmyd @ 28th Sep 2009, 11:53am) *
A interesting stat , auldbutcher , a recent meeting of Arsenal and Celtic , there was one Englishman on the park ..... an he played for Celtic ..
laugh.gif commentary cood sound like this. well fans we are into the last few minutes of the second half and the score is nil all ,england nearly scored earlier after a foul was awarded against gerhard muller when he collided with scotlands muhamed fawzi , esposito has the ball hes driving it forward toward the english goal he passes tae co .co or was it ca.ca ?a lovely cross to rodriguez ,a lovely header from rodriguez its in its in straight past scoltish goalkeeper anwar singh :
auldbutcher
arsenal agin celtic am tryin tae ferget that wan jimmy ohmy.gif ah wis at that geme wombat still think scotland shudda won oor wee chink striker wan fittit missed ah great chance fae two yards oot an ghengis mccann wis denied ah stone wall penalty bein scythed in the box by englands ernst rommell biggrin.gif an that wis us failin tae qualify agin fer the finals in afhganistan.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 29th Sep 2009, 04:51am) *
englands ernst rommell biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
carmella
The media doing the dig at Rangers is nothing new. If they're not having a dig at Rangers, they sure as heck are having a dig at Celtic.

We have seen this before, and we shall see it again.

Rangers bashing or Celtic bashing, maybe it's all done during a slow news day/week. Just to stir the fans up yet again, and there are many fans who will be stirred up on both sides when Rangers and Celtic, separately come in for severe criticism in the media. No matter what side is getting it this week, it will not be well received by the fans.

I, personally, think this is a non-story to be honest.

I have to say also that I agree with Big Al, when he says we give players, and teams, regardless of where they are way too much importance in the overall scheme of things that are happening in life. I'm conscious also of the fact that true football fans do enjoy the sport and look forward to the games as something that lifts their spirits in an otherwise depressing world at times.

Sorry guys if this upsets anyone, but at the end of the day, it's a game of football. I am a Hoops fan, but if Rangers have a good game, and a good win, it usually means they played well. Same applies to Celtic, so I'll always congratulate Rangers when they play well. I will go hysterical if Celtic do the same.

But, what do I know, I'm only a wee lassie!

auldbutcher
carmella you could be mah soul mate i love yer unbiased ootlook same as mah ain salutae senorita. ah wis gonna ask ye oot ,but ah see yer just ah wee lassie don't want the polis on mah case laugh.gif ohmy.gif but av ah wee granson hes 7 if yer interested ,ah'will pey fer the 2 o ye's tae go tae mcdonalds tae get tae know each other, wee sean maloney ses he'l be chaperon he his his ain private table there . ps also ses you can pick yer ain toy should you plump fer ah happy meal.
TeeHeeHee
My problem was I loved watching/supporting Rangers and Celtic ... even Blantyre Celtic when I should have been supporting the"Vics" as a kid.
tongue.gif biggrin.gif
hubert
Just before I left for Canada in Sept 1959, I got a game for Yoker we played against Blantyre Celtic and we won 4-1, playing against the hoops in blue bothered me for years! LMAO
Blantyre had a big guy that was captain, Barney Bonner I think was his name.
Tommy Kennedy
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 29th Sep 2009, 07:09pm) *
carmella you could be mah soul mate i love yer unbiased ootlook same as mah ain salutae senorita. ah wis gonna ask ye oot ,but ah see yer just ah wee lassie don't want the polis on mah case laugh.gif ohmy.gif but av ah wee granson hes 7 if yer interested ,ah'will pey fer the 2 o ye's tae go tae mcdonalds tae get tae know each other, wee sean maloney ses he'l be chaperon he his his ain private table there . ps also ses you can pick yer ain toy should you plump fer ah happy meal.

Dress him up in a Fireman's outfit, auldbutcher, and Carmella will cradle snatch him!!!

'I'm just a wee lassie' - aye right, 'Did you see that foul against our team there' she whispers to a football hooligan next to her and starts a riot in the stands !!!
auldbutcher
seems ye don't believe the lady tommy ,though i'm no ah gentleman wot u is i wis brought up to believe the word o ah lady rolleyes.gif p's he hasnae got ah firemans uniform ,but has ah spiderman ootfit that i bought him ,think this would ring carmahcitas bell .ring her bell, well it works fer the wee humphy guy, that swinger fae notre dam. ach soot yersel laugh.gif .like ah said afore wombat ,ah win the lottery ahm on mah wie tae oz an buyin ah shack next door tae yours as jimmy logan used tae say sosidges is the boys.
carmella

LOL you two are a riot!!!
Biancax3
secterianism is what makes the old firm one of the best derbies in the world.
and Rangers do get scrutinised A LOT more than Celtic.
jojax64
Don't agree.
Look at the current situation re: Rangers financial ruin.
Murray getting an easy time from the press when he should be hounded.
Walter Smith getting an equally easy time after the disasterous results in the CL.

Remember when Celtic were struggling in the 1990's? Cracked crests in the papers. A hearse driven along London Rd and a wreath laid at the door. Headlines of RIP Celtic.
INTENSE media scrutiny, every detail analysed.
In many ways, press reluctance to put the boot into SDM has had a detrimental effect. Nobody (apart from G. Spiers) was asking awkward questions. The situation just went from bad to worse. If Wattie Smith hadn't let it slip that the bank was running Rangers, we still might have been none the wiser until the brown stuff hit the fan. huh.gif
kerry4652
Naw jo the biggest problem was tight arsed celtivc no spending last january, we could have won the league and Rangers wid hiv been 10 million less, that wid hiv gied lloyds kittens.

Celtic are always responsible for their own failures and we missed out on giving the coup de grace to Walters wallies.
auldbutcher
yep an thats the rub smartass laweel reneged on the other hauf million fer fletcher ,and while we were making umpteen chances the stookies up front coodnae kick there ain selective ar**s. thus given the gers the pot this year ,had celtic won the league then in what state wid the gers be in noo. as fer this bias thing i used tae goe tae an auld firm match then come hame tae watch the highlights at night ,some o the editing used tae make me water mah breeks .yep there very shaky the gers at the moment, and i don't buy the bulls**t that this wan or that wan's gonna ride tae the rescue think theres even mair stormy waters on the horizon there . wee thought,when we were goin tae the waw i didnae hear any member o the scottish government comin oot on oor side like they did fer the gers,i have mentioed this fact afore folks . theres another think irks me wie the record ,when some guy is up fer murder like the racist that killed the asian sailor a few months ago the record iwies seems tae get a picture o them in a celik top or am bein paranormal unsure.gif laugh.gif
jojax64
Yes, AB...you are deffo paranormal. biggrin.gif
auldbutcher
laugh.gif laugh.gif
pumps100
Auld Butcher,

I saw the CCTV footage of the racist yob that killed the Indian sailor - he was wearing a Celtic top.

Regards

Ian
jojax64
And your point is.....? dry.gif

Maybe the press has an anti-Celtic agenda, if that's the only picture they chose to publish.
Good auld tabloids, they know how to fan the flames. huh.gif
auldbutcher
ach whit can a say if he was wearing the top at the time then ferr doo's
pumps100
QUOTE (jojax64 @ 7th Dec 2009, 07:19pm) *
And your point is.....? dry.gif

Maybe the press has an anti-Celtic agenda, if that's the only picture they chose to publish.
Good auld tabloids, they know how to fan the flames. huh.gif

I was responding to the Auld Butchers post 32 (closing sentence). I appreciate if you see my post out of context it could be taken the wrong way.

But to avoid any confusion I don't think there was any anti-Celtic agenda at all. The racist yob just happened to be wearing a Celtic top when he murdered the guy. Minutes after the killing CCTV had him laughing and larking about in the street. A few minutes later he went into a fast food place and racially abused and threw the condiments from the counter at the staff - this also all on CCTV. The press obviously took a screen shot from the CCTV of the yob. It could have been any top of any football club or a top from Primark - its just what the scumbag was wearing at the time.

Hope that clarifies matters for you and sorry for not para-phrasing the AB original post.

Regards

Ian
kerry4652
Ian there's nae need tae apologise or explain, ye only said whit ye thought, christ it wid be wan boring world withoot differing opinion.

I was going to ask jojax tae get Auld Butcher sum pills fur paranoia but then burst oot laughing on reading the Sun online.

Not that the article is funny but Auld Butcher's claim about Celtic shirts was sorely tested. It was the horrific murder of that wee lassie by the boyfriend pouring petrol on her.

Let me quote a bit aboot the boy's granddad.

"The aunt - a 45-year-old mum who didn't want to be named - said Blackburn was taunted by schoolboy pals after his maternal grandfather Ivor became Yvonne.

Blackburn was in primary school in Forfar, Angus, when tattooed Celtic fan Ivor started wearing a wig, make-up and pearl earrings."

Jojax double that prescription, ah'll need that or becks.

Mind you I still chuckle reading this. Was there really any justification aboot this guy/burd hivin celtic tattoos
pumps100
Kerry, you were right enough - I did laugh, and I really shouldn't have, as it was a dreadful case.

Best regards

Ian
auldbutcher
whits goin on ,were on tae the horrific fire murder o the wee lassie noo which i have already decried .the cross dresser now seems tae think it has some link to my accusation o celtic bias in the record .any mair o this an al cancel yer chrissy pressy o the barby doll set an dolls hoose you silly wee girl you. laugh.gif
kerry4652
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 8th Dec 2009, 06:00pm) *
whits goin on ,were on tae the horrific fire murder o the wee lassie noo which i have already decried .the cross dresser now seems tae think it has some link to my accusation o celtic bias in the record .any mair o this an al cancel yer chrissy pressy o the barby doll set an dolls hoose you silly wee girl you. laugh.gif

Ian managed to read the post in the way it was written, some people obviously lack the intelligence or nous to do likewise and retort with nothing but stupidity and ignorance. As said before, people who hide behind such idiocy and making pathetic sexist comments usually are the people who actually are involved in such actions, so I think your need will be greater than mine for those wee pairs of knickers you probably stole aff the washing lines or acquired wae bags of sweeties. Ah hope you wurnae wearing yer celtic tap or pearl earrings at the time.
pumps100
Am a Rangers fan - and I really don't know whats going - all a bit too subtle for me - take me out of the front line action as I'm no up for it. I did not mean anything bad at all.

I've nothing against Pearl earings (on women) but not me.

Ian
auldbutcher
ian no disrespect to you man ,you made a point which i agreed with ,and then it was hijacked by a numpty who went overboard with a lot of garbage that i would down to the ravings o a junky in the first stages o withdrawl. lord hiv mercy.
kerry4652
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 8th Dec 2009, 11:22pm) *
ian no disrespect to you man ,you made a point which i agreed with ,and then it was hijacked by a numpty who went overboard with a lot of garbage that i would down to the ravings o a junky in the first stages o withdrawl. lord hiv mercy.

Maybe if ye wur on methadone instead of the guff ye must hiv stuffed up yer hooter ye might hiv been able tae read it wae logic. Then again a wee clype will be away telling tales again. Make sure you say the bad boy started it an you wis only joking wae your insults. Mibbees ye ate too much of that infected beef, naw the poor coo couldnae make ye any mair delusional.

If ye wurnae that bigoted, twisted and ignorant ye wid have known fine well ah wis agreeing wae ye and the bias fae the Record. But then you did know that,ye wur jist doing yer big shot,trying tae impress. Ye sure know how to make yersel look a plum.
auldbutcher
stiff me ,does that mean ye've joined ma fan club you silver tongued devil you . tongue.gif laugh.gif
kerry4652
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 9th Dec 2009, 12:46pm) *
stiff me tongue.gif laugh.gif

I have no doubt many have, was it the bags of sweets, the nursery rhymes, the wee lassie's knickers or just your three year old level of intelligence. Just be careful of that careless whisper. And remember when running to tell tales that it was the bad boy whit started it an you wus jist hivin a giggle an that. Remember how that song goes Whispering grass. lol giggle smirk etc
auldbutcher
thanks fer these kind words you don't know how much there appreciated

oot o the east there came a big fat man .

no very bright an a bit o ah bam. cool.gif
jojax64
Hi Ian,
Yer right enough, but have you not noticed that the tabloids like to use photies of criminals wearing fitba' taps if they can? Always wondered aboot that. Surely they could dig oot a photie that didnae affiliate some toerag tae a fitba club.
Oi, Kerry....don't you be upsetting AB again, or he'll send his carer roond tae huv a word wi' ye. tongue.gif
kerry4652
QUOTE (jojax64 @ 9th Dec 2009, 05:51pm) *
Hi Ian,
Yer right enough, but have you not noticed that the tabloids like to use photies of criminals wearing fitba' taps if they can? Always wondered aboot that. Surely they could dig oot a photie that didnae affiliate some toerag tae a fitba club.
Oi, Kerry....don't you be upsetting AB again, or he'll send his carer roond tae huv a word wi' ye. tongue.gif

Aw Jo ye know how much ah wurry aboot threats. Hid years of big hardmen gonnae dae aw sorts tae me so ah'm sure ah'll survive meeting wae a carer, though god knows the poor sowel will probably be deranged after such an occupation. Ah hiv tae laugh at the claim aboot they nasty villians on that ither board after reading the rancid semi literate rabble fae yer mucker.

Ah bet Wull's ears must hiv been burning from listening to the Whispering Grass telling the trees how he and his pal were victimised.

Patter wise, cor sharp as an epee. Ah'm well impressed, Nae wunder chicco an co had a field day wae them. Typical routine, start giein it laldy an then away greeting claiming tae being bullied. Ah get embarrassed fur people like that Jo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.